Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

Same as Bob Slowik being with M. Shanahan forever. Time and good favor won't make you competent. Competence does.

I've been calling for this since forever. Shouldn't have taken this long and that's on the HC. Glad Sapp and others are in the bldg to offer insight.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Rivera is late on important changes a lot.   Davis at ILB last year, LC's position switch and now this.  I mean, come on...you wait until this late to make a much-needed switch?  Better late than never, true, but Ron's gotta start getting in front of the eight ball here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Conn said:

Very very strange timing, isn’t it? 

Based on the demeanour of Rivera in the press interview today I get the impression something has seriously pissed him off. Maybe Mills was skating on thin ice to start with this offseason, but it feels like something has escalated the situation quickly, IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Based on the demeanour of Rivera in the press interview today I get the impression something has seriously pissed him off. Maybe Mills was skating on thin ice to start with this offseason, but it feels like something has escalated the situation quickly, IMO.

Mills was probably feeling disrespected with Sapp and Kerrigan getting attention for doing his job and there was a confrontation somewhere. This is the type of firing that happens after a blowout.

giphy.gif

It's sad this came to a head so near to the start of the preseason games, but I was definitely NOT a fan of Sam Mills III, and recall making a few posts to that effect.  (As I recall, Matt Ionnidas may have had some issues with Mills too.)

So while it's a disruptive change, I'm seeing it as an eventual positive development.  Too bad Washington can't lure back coach Jim Tomsula; he put together some awesome defensive lines. However, the successor DL coach, Zgonina, has a really nice resume and a lot of player experience too. I have a feeling he'll work out fine.

2 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

There is absolutely no excuse for such poor Dline play last year when Chase and Montez were Healthy. I’m fine with the change. 

About 10 months too late. Hell, why not February or March?

When they cut a coach a few days before preseason starts it seems like some opportunities were missed somewhere. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

About 10 months too late. Hell, why not February or March?

When they cut a coach a few days before preseason starts it seems like some opportunities were missed somewhere. 

Exactly my sentiment. RR is slow to make changes in obvious deficiencies. He clings too much on past relationships to a detriment.

Too decisive at some things and too indecisive on others.

Get to a solution faster! C'mon Man!

giphy.gif

I am still not convinced our often seen bend and break defense of the past 2 decades is the way to win in the modern pass happy NFL. Sure our D cranks up the aggressiveness and comes around for a handful of games every year but we usually rush 4 drop 7 and have gaping holes for QBs to choose from. Even crap QBs pick us apart. It's painful to watch and sure its preseason but rest assured we will be setting some futility records again this year. Most 3rd and 15+ allowed in the past 50 years or whatever it will be. Every damn year.

The annual talk about our offense needing to give our defense a rest by slow playing and running is getting old. Our defense needs to get itself off the field and stop waiting for a QB to make a mistake. JDR isn't but should be on the hotseat after not being able to generate a pass rush last year. Targeting the DL with 1st rounders has failed IMO. The cheaper no name guys end up getting a ton of reps anyways because we gas our own DL by being so passive on D.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Day 1:

JSW, Payne, Allen, Sweat, Mathis, Wise, Toohill, Obada, Toney (9)

Holecomb, Davis, Mayo, Hudson, Gerry (5)

Fuller, Jackson 3, BSJ, Johnson, Holmes, Curl, McCain, Forrest, Butler, Reaves, Apke (11) (25)

Young PUP

Where do you think I’m off?

I think that’s a fair a guess as any.

I could see Apke or Reaves not making the cut.

I could see WBK making it (presumably over Obada or Toney… I lean toward the former).

I wonder if we might wind up going with 24 until Young returns, keeping an extra offensive player to evaluate for a few weeks (or however long).

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I am still not convinced our often seen bend and break defense of the past 2 decades is the way to win in the modern pass happy NFL. Sure our D cranks up the aggressiveness and comes around for a handful of games every year but we usually rush 4 drop 7 and have gaping holes for QBs to choose from. Even crap QBs pick us apart. It's painful to watch and sure its preseason but rest assured we will be setting some futility records again this year. Most 3rd and 15+ allowed in the past 50 years or whatever it will be. Every damn year.

The annual talk about our offense needing to give our defense a rest by slow playing and running is getting old. Our defense needs to get itself off the field and stop waiting for a QB to make a mistake. JDR isn't but should be on the hotseat after not being able to generate a pass rush last year. Targeting the DL with 1st rounders has failed IMO. The cheaper no name guys end up getting a ton of reps anyways because we gas our own DL by being so passive on D.

Defense nowadays is measured on three and only three things: takeaways, 3rd down %, and red zone %.

If you can force turnovers, get off the field on 3rd downs, and hold teams to FGs instead of TDs, you're coming out ahead. 

Yards don't mean jack. Time of possession doesn't mean jack. Win those three areas and you're golden.

• Like 2