Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

On 12/8/2021 at 3:29 PM, ThomasRoane said:

It would be silly to cut Sweat for testing positive for COVID.  He'll have natural immunity now.  Less of a risk in the future.  I'd be willing to bet these athletes get monoclonal antibodies. I'm 59, stage four cancer survivor.  Went thru Stem Cell transplant in 2019.  Had both Pfizer shots in May of this year.  Got COVID anyways in September.  My oncologist got me a monoclonal antibody infusion and the next day I was working out again.  (Two hour workout)  So, I'm sure a 20 something professional athlete won't have any trouble coming back from COVID.  Most people who die from it either have a compromised immune system or were in bad health before they caught it.  I wouldn't move on from Sweat for that.  I wouldn't pay a lot of $ to keep him either if he doesn't prove that he can be a consistent disruptor.  But for catching a disease because he was unvaccinated?  Hell no I'm not cutting him for that.  

Not true aboutnatural immunity, I work with a guy who got covid twice.

On 12/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, ThomasRoane said:

Why? Natural immunity > the vaccine.  If I hadn't contracted COVID my oncologist would have recommended a booster later on.  Now?  He says I'm good to go.  Didn't even need a flu shot after the monoclonal infusion.  

People need to stop moving the goal post on this.  It's really silly. 

My point was more that he can test positive again and be forced out for 10 days even if his immunity is equivalent to someone who got vaxed

Listening to Keim talk about the defense's resurgence.

He attributes it mainly to:

A.  They are going more zone now.  Earlier in the season they played more man than they typically do.  If I recall he said they were in man 40% of the time early on but now they are going less man. 

B.  Pass rush is more unpredictable now that they have lost their edge rushers.  Tougher to guage where the pressure is coming from on third down.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 4:00 PM, ThomasRoane said:

As I said.  Less of a risk.  Especially when it comes to being able to survive COVID. 

to everyone

in general, a member's personal views on the nature of covid writ large and any extended dialogue on the nature of covid as you or anyone other member sees the matter (inc personal anecdotes) belongs in the tailgate's covid thread...there are exceptions depending on context but it's best to exercise caution...it certainly doesn't belong in this thread (not just @ you, it's for all)

On 12/10/2021 at 5:32 PM, Tedskins 21 said:

😂 

i see this is a repeat behavior for you

don't do it again :)  

• Like 1

Defense played excellent today. Got completely hung out to dry by the offense and still got us back into this game. The score could have been 50 nothing in the third and we outscored them 20-3 in the second half. Only gave up 1 TD to the #1 passing offense in the league.

• Like 4

They played well.  I give them credit.  But I do wonder how they would have done if the offense kept up and Dallas had to keep the foot on the gas.  There was one big play broken coverage that got called back on a hold.  But they did fight throughout the game.  The three offsides lining up in the neutral zone though…that ain’t good.

Edited by Ball Security

The defense, considering how banged up they were, did fine against a pretty high octane NFL offense.  The defense isn't at the level that they are going to shut down the Cowboys offense, but they did enough to keep the game in question all the way to the end despite needing to use the 3rd or 4th guys at certain times. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:27 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim talk about the defense's resurgence.

He attributes it mainly to:

A.  They are going more zone now.  Earlier in the season they played more man than they typically do.  If I recall he said they were in man 40% of the time early on but now they are going less man. 

B.  Pass rush is more unpredictable now that they have lost their edge rushers.  Tougher to guage where the pressure is coming from on third down.

That’s frustrating to hear because the pass rush could and should have been more creative when everyone was healthy. Look at how Dallas moved Parsons all over the place trying to create mismatches. We could have done that with Chase Young, but making it so predictable also makes it easier for an offense to work the short passing game to death because they know exactly where the QBs launch point needs to be. Hopefully this changes next season. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

That’s frustrating to hear because the pass rush could and should have been more creative when everyone was healthy. Look at how Dallas moved Parsons all over the place trying to create mismatches. We could have done that with Chase Young, but making it so predictable also makes it easier for an offense to work the short passing game to death because they know exactly where the QBs launch point needs to be. Hopefully this changes next season. 

I think Del Rio's game plan going into the season was: I have this dominant DL with two stud edge rushers. I can get pressure with just four and I can play tight press man with my expensive new CB. But it just didn't work out that way. I don't fault him for thinking that, on paper that's what it looked like. But the coverage schemes had to be dumbed down for WJ3, we had to move Collins out of Safety, and Young and Sweat were mostly non factors as pass rushers(more so Young, Sweat was still decent but not really dynamic or game changing).

I wouldn't compare anyone to Parsons. He can cover, play the run, and pass rush. He's a modern day stud Edge player. Young and Sweat are more traditional 4-3 DEs.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

57 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Del Rio's game plan going into the season was: I have this dominant DL with two stud edge rushers. I can get pressure with just four and I can play tight press man with my expensive new CB. But it just didn't work out that way. I don't fault him for thinking that, on paper that's what it looked like. But the coverage schemes had to be dumbed down for WJ3, we had to move Collins out of Safety, and Young and Sweat were mostly non factors as pass rushers(more so Young, Sweat was still decent but not really dynamic or game changing).

I wouldn't compare anyone to Parsons. He can cover, play the run, and pass rush. He's a modern day stud Edge player. Young and Sweat are more traditional 4-3 DEs.

Chase Young can absolutely rush from the interior. He has a devastating lateral step and speed to power. If anything it would have created more favorable matchups for him. 

1 minute ago, Berggy9598 said:

Chase Young can absolutely rush from the interior. He has a devastating lateral step and speed to power. If anything it would have created more favorable matchups for him. 

But if you move him to the interior, who are you taking out from the DT rotation? Payne and Allen have both played much better than Young have. Ion is one of the best interior pass rushers in the league.

It may just be a good set of 13 games but you could clearly see Parsons had this type of ability from his college tape.

The guy is football fast, which is better than track speed plus a ferocious pursuer.  

Sean Taylor type of athlete at the linebacker position. 

Edited by dyst
  • Like 1

Sacks and Stuff;

Was curious haw we compare to last year in sacks, kind of interesting.

Total in 2020

47 total sacks, 17 games including playoff   avg 2.7 per game    Eagles first game 8 sacks

2 games no sacks   Pittsburgh and Seattle

Notables:

Sweat 9

Young 7.5

Kerrigan 5.5

Settle 5

Payne 3

Allen 2

Ioannidas   1.5

Total in 2021     

28 sacks total through 13 games avg 2.1 game    

1 game without a sack K.C.

4 sacks against Denver

Notables:

Leader is Allen with 7.5

Sweat   4

Payne   3.5

Collins   3

Young   1.5

Ioannidas   1.5

Settle 0

Sacks given up in 2020   (17 games)

WFT gave up 50 sacks    2.9 per game avg.

Smith   22

Haskins 20

Allen 7

Heinicke 1

Sacks given up in 2021   (13 games)

WFT has given up 30 sacks    1.7 per game avg.

Heinicke   28

Allen       1

Fitzpatrick     1