Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

On 12/12/2021 at 8:08 PM, Berggy9598 said:

That’s frustrating to hear because the pass rush could and should have been more creative when everyone was healthy. Look at how Dallas moved Parsons all over the place trying to create mismatches. We could have done that with Chase Young, but making it so predictable also makes it easier for an offense to work the short passing game to death because they know exactly where the QBs launch point needs to be. Hopefully this changes next season. 

Yes some of that goes on Del Rio, but it also speaks to how Young and Sweat are not nearly as good as the hype. Teams with high caliber pass rushing d-lines typically rush 4 straight up.  I think Del Rio had too much faith in them. And it's not like we didn't mix things up before, I remember the complaints when Young was dropped into coverage at times while someone else rushed the passer.  The lack of creativity before is a little overstated.  Our d-ends are simply not that special, as much as I wish it was otherwise. 

Can’t wait for Sweat to return so he can be appreciated again. I expect it to be pretty clear right away the impact gap of him versus guys who are credited a great deal due to holding their rush lanes well lol

To start the season the whole defensive unit was struggling, but the defense was elite versus the run and from a numbers standpoint and creating good pass rush pressure numbers. The backend of the defense seemed to be the most glaring by a landslide in my view. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 3

On 12/9/2021 at 4:27 PM, RawRebel said:

Not true about natural immunity, I work with a guy who got covid twice.

I had both vaccinations and got COVID at work from a tech guy who installed all new computer equipment.  He was unvaccinated and did not wear a mask.

Another lady in our same office got it.  Both of us had family at home and no family got it.  Both of us got the monoclonal antibodies in the hospital and then had to wait 10 days before we could go back to work.

The state dept. of health kept tabs on us constantly with phone calls and text messages.

I hope I have built up some natural immunity now.  The hospital gave me a piece of paper which says I cannot get the booster shot until 90 days after the

hospital infusion which would be January 10.  My wife has cancer and I am so relieved that she did not get COVID from me.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Capsman said:

Yes some of that goes on Del Rio, but it also speaks to how Young and Sweat are not nearly as good as the hype. Teams with high caliber pass rushing d-lines typically rush 4 straight up.  I think Del Rio had too much faith in them. And it's not like we didn't mix things up before, I remember the complaints when Young was dropped into coverage at times while someone else rushed the passer.  The lack of creativity before is a little overstated.  Our d-ends are simply not that special, as much as I wish it was otherwise. 

Yeah IIRC we were moving Young around. He just wasn't very effective no matter where he rushed from.

• Like 1

referring to Jon Allen...

“He’ll come in and test pretty soon and we got our fingers crossed,” Rivera said of Allen. “We’ll see what happens. There’s so many things going on right now with this new virus, this new variant, that you just don’t know. So we have to kind of hope we’ll see what happens in the next few days.”

• Like 1

It sucks that Fuller is going to miss the game (and potentially the Cowboys game too). To counter this, Quez Watkins, who is effectively the Eagles #2 WR, may be out too. It's also good that Darryl Roberts is coming back - yes he is a depth guy but he is a veteran who has started many games in this league. What I am worried about this game outside of Hurts's running is deep shots to Smith and Reagor

Is Benjamin St-Justie still playing? I remember him with the concussion earlier in the season. Will he take over Fuller this week? I just don't remember seeing him on the field lately. Please don't bash me, but will like to be informed with his situation cause I don't remember him playing lately and I don't see him on IR.

18 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

Is Benjamin St-Justie still playing? I remember him with the concussion earlier in the season. Will he take over Fuller this week? I just don't remember seeing him on the field lately. Please don't bash me, but will like to be informed with his situation cause I don't remember him playing lately and I don't see him on IR.

Dudes had three concussions this season and is on IR. 🥺

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2021/12/2/22814980/washington-roster-moves-benjamin-st-juste-to-ir-darryl-roberts-activated-a-fb-signed-practice-squad

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, clietas said:

I had a feeling it was something like that. When I went on team's site it didn't show him on IR for week 14 so I didn't really know, but was wondering where the heck has he been. I appreciate the update. 

• Thumb up 1

21 hours ago, clietas said:

3 concussions, seriously bad ****

Healthy, he has a bright future.

I hope he stay out, maybe the rest of the year, to be safe

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

3 concussions, seriously bad ****

Healthy, he has a bright future.

I hope he stay out, maybe the rest of the year, to be safe

I hate to say it but the guy should retire. I don't know if his body is built for football. He didn't play much in college so his body was never really tested

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, method man said:

I hate to say it but the guy should retire. I don't know if his body is built for football. He didn't play much in college so his body was never really tested

And this is with limited playing time so far, if he was a regularly starting TE who took the same type of punishment as Logan etc. takes I dont know if he would last very long at all.

59 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Losing Fuller really hurts for this Eagles game.  Did you know the WFT leads the league in giving up touchdown passes this year?

Yes, this weak secondary has given up 27 touchdown passes so far this year.   Next year we need to bring in some new defenders.

Agreed, we could use a starting free safety, someone that can at least compete for the slot role and more depth.  Don’t think it’s a coincidence the defense has looked far better as the secondary has improved their communication and been simplified, but it would be great to have some continuity to allow more complexity down the road.

On 12/16/2021 at 7:13 AM, veteranskinsfan said:

Losing Fuller really hurts for this Eagles game.  Did you know the WFT leads the league in giving up touchdown passes this year?

Yes, this weak secondary has given up 27 touchdown passes so far this year.   Next year we need to bring in some new defenders.

One of the better defenses all around over the past 6 games. A case where the total number doesn’t really tell the story of this season. The secondary has settled in and played at a high level. Defense overall is trending towards being a strength of the team again. This week, who knows lol

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 9:13 AM, veteranskinsfan said:

It does but fortunately the Eagles are weak at receiver outside Smith. They will play zone anyway and need to ensure Reagor and Smith don’t get behind the D on play action

The D-line improving after Chase & Sweat exited makes a pretty good case that coaching & buying into a system and your assignments is as big a part of succeeding at the NFL level as raw talent is. I know a lot of people thought Chase's rookie season was lackluster, but I actually think by the end of the season he made a pretty good case of being a stud with tons of potential going forward.  Somewhere between the end of last season and his injury this season, maybe he got a big head, read too much press, and thought he was just gonna be able to toss blockers aside in pursuit of the QB.

I don't think either of the DE's in there in place of Young & Sweat are "better" in any way as far as talent goes, but the lower level of talent has not seemed to brought down the overall impact of the D-line because the guys in there are following schemes, their assignments, and  not trying to be 1 man wrecking crews.  

Hopefully as Sweat comes back, and Chase next season, they really sink into the game film to see what differences they can make to their games going forward because their talent level is there, they just need to put it all together to see their potential.

• Like 1