Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Attendance

SkinsFan_07

39 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I am curious if any fans attending the game last week wearing Redskins related gear were harassed or was it was an overall relaxed environment?

Most people I saw were wearing Redskins gear. They even referred to them as the Redskins and sang Hail to the Redskins.

• Thanks 1

Agreed.  However, your reference to this thread comes up every year and I have been on here a while, just to me as I cannot speak for everybody, feels different.

A lot of things can play into that feeling but I think even before the name change, activity on the board had been dying off and we all can see what the situation is in the stadium.  

To me, it just feels different, apathetic, almost accepting more than angry.

22 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Did you know that Jack Kent Cooke used the original Giants Stadium as a model for what he wanted FedEx to be like?

As an opposing fan, would be curious to hear your opinions on various old and current stadiums you have been to. 

Okay, since you asked.

Didn't really care for RFK but that was probably because the Skins destroyed the Eagles in Buddy Ryan's debut. But overall it felt kinda cramped. That was obviously a long time ago and I don't have much of a memory of that day. Randall Cunningham tried a quick kick and hit the ball into the back of a lineman. 

Baltimore's old stadium was just a generic old stadium with bleacher seats. Obviously pretty bland. It was a really cold day too, and the game ended in a tie. Ugh.

I loved Giants Stadium. It was very rectangular, so that the seating area was very close to the field. Loved that. Overall a good atmosphere too. Giants fans for the most were pretty respectful, though that was more twenty/thirty years ago than nowadays.

The new Browns stadium is pretty good. Have been there several times. Not the best but pretty solid. They didn't do anything ultra-fancy with it, and I kinda like that.

Carolina's was nice. It's right downtown, just a ten minute walk from our hotel. It's pretty big. Definitely liked it. We had seats in literally the last row.

Houston's was excellent. Probably my favorite. They did a nice job with that one.

Kansas City is similar to Giants Stadium with its design. I guess it was okay but I prefer Giants Stadium, perhaps only because I was used to it having been there a dozen or more times. I was told in advance that the Chiefs fans would be great, but that was kind of a myth. We had the drunken idiots behind us talking smack at us for the whole first half even though we were quiet and respectful. It was just me and my dad, who was in his seventies at the time. When the Eagles roared back from a 17-0 early deficit to eventually pull away to a victory, the idiots behind us had literally passed out. Anyway, the stadium itself was okay. No frills. I guess it has its charm.

Ford Field is kinda cool, now that I think about it. We had box seats (my buddy had connections) so it was a good experience. Kinda reminded me of a hockey arena built at about a scale of 4X. Liked it. But that may be in part because we had incredible seats.

Cincinnati (the new one) was reasonable, I guess. Like Cleveland, it wasn't particularly fancy. But I guess it was okay.

Current Giants Stadium is terrible. Even their own fans hate it. It's too damn big, for one thing. And because of all the luxury boxes, the seating bowl is much farther away from the field than at the old stadium. We sat in the endzone and it felt like we were forty yards behind the back of the end zone. And getting out of the parking lot after the game is a nightmare for people who don't do it every week and know the ins and outs of which lane takes you to which highway.

FedEx just feels cheaply made. I sat in the upper deck a few times and was generally pleased with the view. I prefer upper deck anyway. The last few times I went, I had to sit in the lower level. And I hated it because we had to stand about 80% of the time. Once someone stands up -- which is just about every play -- everyone behind them does too, so it cascades back through every row. I could not stand that. Oh, and probably the worst part of the design is that the seats are cramped, both sideways and front ways. There's very little leg room. And it feels like there are about two more seats in each row than there should be. It's just cramped and uncomfortable. And yes, despite what some of the hometown faithful have argued, the parking and traffic are abysmal. I'm sorry but it's the truth.

Oh, almost forgot about the Chargers stadium they played in when they moved back to Los Angeles. Just a soccer stadium that only seated about 25,000. Yeah, that one was awesome as far as watching the game goes. The fans were right up close to the field. It was cool too because it was about 75% Eagles fans so the atmosphere was almost like a home game for us.

Duh, forgot about New Orleans. The Superdome is massive and it feels like you're kind of far from the action. Saw the Eagles lose a Super Bowl there so it doesn't bring back good memories. The upper deck is really, really high. The weird thing about going to a game in New Orleans is that doesn't seem to be any parking. Other than the Super Bowl, I stayed in hotels and walked there. But I wonder how the locals get go the game. Maybe they have a great public transportation system. I really don't know.

Forgot about Miami too. I went there to watch a Giants-Dolphins game in '96, so this was well before its recent redesign. It was built with too square of a profile, so the sideline seats were way too far away from the field. Didn't care for that at all. On the plus side, the parking lots were massive.

I was at the old Colts stadium in Indianapolis but it wasn't for a game. That was kind of impressive though. Kinda surprised they built a new one to replace it.

I guess that's it. Favorites would be Houston and Detroit, as well as that soccer stadium the Chargers played in.

22 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

My experience of the old meadowlands was not positive in any way. But ok. Have you been to qwest, soldier field or Heinz?

None of the above. I went to a Pirates game in their new stadium about fifteen years ago and liked it a lot.

• Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

Okay, since you asked.

Didn't really care for RFK but that was probably because the Skins destroyed the Eagles in Buddy Ryan's debut. But overall it felt kinda cramped. That was obviously a long time ago and I don't have much of a memory of that day. Randall Cunningham tried a quick kick and hit the ball into the back of a lineman. 

Baltimore's old stadium was just a generic old stadium with bleacher seats. Obviously pretty bland. It was a really cold day too, and the game ended in a tie. Ugh.

I loved Giants Stadium. It was very rectangular, so that the seating area was very close to the field. Loved that. Overall a good atmosphere too. Giants fans for the most were pretty respectful, though that was more twenty/thirty years ago than nowadays.

The new Browns stadium is pretty good. Have been there several times. Not the best but pretty solid. They didn't do anything ultra-fancy with it, and I kinda like that.

Carolina's was nice. It's right downtown, just a ten minute walk from our hotel. It's pretty big. Definitely liked it. We had seats in literally the last row.

Houston's was excellent. Probably my favorite. They did a nice job with that one.

Kansas City is similar to Giants Stadium with its design. I guess it was okay but I prefer Giants Stadium, perhaps only because I was used to it having been there a dozen or more times. I was told in advance that the Chiefs fans would be great, but that was kind of a myth. We had the drunken idiots behind us talking smack at us for the whole first half even though we were quiet and respectful. It was just me and my dad, who was in his seventies at the time. When the Eagles roared back from a 17-0 early deficit to eventually pull away to a victory, the idiots behind us had literally passed out. Anyway, the stadium itself was okay. No frills. I guess it has its charm.

Ford Field is kinda cool, now that I think about it. We had box seats (my buddy had connections) so it was a good experience. Kinda reminded me of a hockey arena built at about a scale of 4X. Liked it. But that may be in part because we had incredible seats.

Cincinnati (the new one) was reasonable, I guess. Like Cleveland, it wasn't particularly fancy. But I guess it was okay.

Current Giants Stadium is terrible. Even their own fans hate it. It's too damn big, for one thing. And because of all the luxury boxes, the seating bowl is much farther away from the field than at the old stadium. We sat in the endzone and it felt like we were forty yards behind the back of the end zone. And getting out of the parking lot after the game is a nightmare for people who don't do it every week and know the ins and outs of which lane takes you to which highway.

FedEx just feels cheaply made. I sat in the upper deck a few times and was generally pleased with the view. I prefer upper deck anyway. The last few times I went, I had to sit in the lower level. And I hated it because we had to stand about 80% of the time. Once someone stands up -- which is just about every play -- everyone behind them does too, so it cascades back through every row. I could not stand that. Oh, and probably the worst part of the design is that the seats are cramped, both sideways and front ways. There's very little leg room. And it feels like there are about two more seats in each row than there should be. It's just cramped and uncomfortable. And yes, despite what some of the hometown faithful have argued, the parking and traffic are abysmal. I'm sorry but it's the truth.

Oh, almost forgot about the Chargers stadium they played in when they moved back to Los Angeles. Just a soccer stadium that only seated about 25,000. Yeah, that one was awesome as far as watching the game goes. The fans were right up close to the field. It was cool too because it was about 75% Eagles fans so the atmosphere was almost like a home game for us.

Duh, forgot about New Orleans. The Superdome is massive and it feels like you're kind of far from the action. Saw the Eagles lose a Super Bowl there so it doesn't bring back good memories. The upper deck is really, really high. The weird thing about going to a game in New Orleans is that doesn't seem to be any parking. Other than the Super Bowl, I stayed in hotels and walked there. But I wonder how the locals get go the game. Maybe they have a great public transportation system. I really don't know.

Forgot about Miami too. I went there to watch a Giants-Dolphins game in '96, so this was well before its recent redesign. It was built with too square of a profile, so the sideline seats were way too far away from the field. Didn't care for that at all. On the plus side, the parking lots were massive.

I was at the old Colts stadium in Indianapolis but it wasn't for a game. That was kind of impressive though. Kinda surprised they built a new one to replace it.

I guess that's it. Favorites would be Houston and Detroit, as well as that soccer stadium the Chargers played in.

None of the above. I went to a Pirates game in their new stadium about fifteen years ago and liked it a lot.

I really like the Linc

My uncle had season tickets my entire life. I don’t know how many he had (it must have been a lot bc he would take his entire household) but he spent a lot and always did it big. His tailgate was massive. DJs, bartenders, gigantic TVs all in the green lot. They would sell tickets to ppl who would just buy parking passes and watch in the parking lot. Epic tailgates each and every game. 

I texted my cousin Saturday to see if she was going to the Chargers game. She said he gave the tickets up. Don’t think it was covid. Just tired of losing. 

Lets be honest. Fedex is a dump. And on top of it being a dump it is in a horrible location for the majority of the fan base. I will never attend a Sunday game in Fedex again. It takes the entire day. And on top of it I will most likely be going to watch them lose. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Franklin60 said:

Franklin, thanks for the great rundown. I agree FedEx was built much too quickly. The lower level situation wasn't an issue until Snyder installed the dream seats. I dislike the parking situation there, but have never had much of an issue getting out. But I've also never had an issue getting out of either the Vet or Linc, and the multiple lots available within the sports complex makes the parking situation much better there.

Glad you got to attend SB XV, when tickets were still affordable. I was a teenager in South Jersey then (but a Skins fan who moved there from DC). I remember having the game on in the background, but not watching it intently. Sucks that the Birds and Skins losses to the Raiders were like the only two times in a 17 year stretch that the NFC lost the SB. But watching Wilbert run for that 40 yard TD vs Dallas must've been fun!

• Like 1

- Team has sucked

- Team leadership has had no consistency

- News around the team has driven away casual fans

- Stadium location is terrible - Landover is wholly uninspiring

- Traffic and parking are terrible

- Stadium is not modern

- Stadium does not maximize the fan experience

There are too many reasons... but build a stadium that doesn't piss on fans, and win more than you lose and let's talk

Edited by DiscoBob
Add more sucking reasons

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Glad you got to attend SB XV, when tickets were still affordable.

We flew down on a charter flight with hundreds of fans that morning and flew back that night. The flight down was great. The flight back was absolutely horrible. Tickets to the game were $50 a piece. I kid you not...when we were walking towards the stadium, scalpers were selling tickets for $40. They were taking a loss rather than making a profit. I guess it wasn't a marketable matchup. 

10 minutes ago, kleese said:

Fans on Twitter are saying it was best atmosphere at FedEx since 2012. I will say on TV it sounded pretty loud and it sounded loud at the right times too. Also didn’t look like a crazy sea of blue or anything. 

Ed, I know you are just citing others, but that is pure garbage.  One of the more exciting home games of the past decade to be sure, but if the ESPN stats are correct, there's just no way, unless you take into account just the lower deck, which seemed full.  The club level and upper deck are a joke.  Looking back, I can cite four games.....2019 vs Dallas, 2017 vs Oakland, 2016 versus GB, and 2015 versus Tampa......two of which I was at, and all of which were certainly much better attended that this.

6 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Ed, I know you are just citing others, but that is pure garbage.  One of the more exciting home games of the past decade to be sure, but if the ESPN stats are correct, there's just no way, unless you take into account just the lower deck, which seemed full.  The club level and upper deck are a joke.  Looking back, I can cite four games.....2019 vs Dallas, 2017 vs Oakland, 2016 versus GB, and 2015 versus Tampa......two of which I was at, and all of which were certainly much better attended that this.

The fans I’m citing aren’t talking about raw numbers. They are talking about the atmosphere and how it was heavier towards being full with our own fans than usual. I observed same on TV. Looks like they are doing something right by pushing the fans to lower level and just saying forget it with the upper level. It looks better and sounds better. The players also all talked about the atmosphere and the sound tonight— not something we normally hear post game. To me, I’d rather see 50K of fans mostly in lower level,  mostly rooting for us, making noise, than 65K spread out, 50/50 split on rooting interests. 

• Like 2

Working at the stadium, i can say the atmosphere was definitely great. Cheering was pretty evenly matched last night. I watched the game on the tv in my office with coworkers and the tv is just about 10 seconds behind, so we would hear lotssss of cheering and we’d say “ok something huge happened, was it for us, or the giants??” 

on the game winning FG (after the penalty), we heard a HUGEEEE roar from the stands and we’re like “well, guess Hopkins made it!” 😂 

My prediction is that if we can tread water these next two away games, and come out of it with a 2-2 record heading into our next home game, the game on September 10th will be rocking. Give the fans a reason to come out and cheer, and i think they will, no mattter how much of a bag of **** Snyder is. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

FedEx definitely was rocking late. I think when you cluster everyone into the lower levels you have a better overall atmosphere. There was a bit too much Giant blue for my taste but I think they got drowned out once we started playing better.

In my experience, the biggest concentration of visiting fans has always been on the lower level visitors sideline. That will never change at this venue.

And there'll never been an issue of filling up the lower level. While I despise the dream seats for creating an issue where people in the 100s have to stand all game, I actually thought adding the 8K "cave" seats on the visitors side in the 200s in 2004 was a good idea.....just don't put any seats directly behind pillars 😡

The last game I attended was 2018 against the Texans and was one of the few times I got to sit in the 200s. It definitely was a good atmosphere, but even on that day I couldn't help looking at the fairly empty club and upper decks and feeling bad/sad, as there just isn't the energy levels on those decks if they aren't full as well.

I don't think there's any debate that the new stadium has to be significantly smaller in size than FedEx, probably 65K tops. Still, seeing numbers for September games plummet to the low 50Ks is still jarring.