Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: 2021 Preseason - Washington Football Team vs Cincinnati Bengals

TheShredder
Message added by TK,

image.thumb.png.f8666962f6009cd82a72d56f2b9cd3a7.png

4 hours ago, Vanguard said:

It’s preseason.

Some people will never understand that preseason isn’t an indicator of anything.  You hope the starting offense moves the ball.  You hope the starting defense doesn’t let the other team match down the field.  You hope no one gets hurt.  Mostly though, you watch a bunch of guys try to hold their spots on the depth chart and remain employed.  

if your starters looked ok and no one got hurt, you go back to reading your book with a glad heart and a hopeful spirit.  The time of proving will arrive soon enough.  You can panic then.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Some good things in the victory tonight.

Some not good things as well.

Especially the red zone offense. They gotta work on that.

We’re not opening up the playbook especially in the red zone in preseason. That would just be dumb. In case you haven’t noticed but virtually no teams have been all that good on offense. 

Apart from the obvious, which is Jaret Patterson, a couple of other young guys I was impressed with last night was Benjamin St-Juste and Saahdiq Charles. Charles was looking mean and nasty all night and was moving people around with ease. It's also crazy that the dude just turned 22 last month. He's the same age as most rookies lol. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Some people will never understand that preseason isn’t an indicator of anything.  You hope the starting offense moves the ball.  You hope the starting defense doesn’t let the other team match down the field.  You hope no one gets hurt.  Mostly though, you watch a bunch of guys try to hold their spots on the depth chart and remain employed.  

if your starters looked ok and no one got hurt, you go back to reading your book with a glad heart and a hopeful spirit.  The time of proving will arrive soon enough.  You can panic then.

Very well said..thank you..

Final word on the "cheerleaders". It looked like they were so determined to make them unsexy they ended up with asexual. It made me really uncomfortable to look at them. That may be what they intended I guess.

On a happy note, Patterson was awesome!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I read this entire thread last night. First half was people constantly getting upset that certain players were being used differently than they should in certain packages. Seemed pretty obvious that they were really testing guys out of their comfort zones, like Barber. Sounds like they got a lot of answers about guys like the Sims, Flowers, Barber, Charles, McTyer, Patterson. 

Sounds like my assumption that Collins is back and ready for another All-pro season. Someone even compared him to ST21. 

Patterson sounds like he's taking Barbers job.

How'd Dax a million look?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

How'd Dax a million look?

Dax and AGG look so good that we can cut the two Sims’ without even flinching despite the former never doing anything in an actual NFL game to warrant such a decision.

• Like 2

There are things with the first team that they've done both games and it has carried over from last year in the run game. The bunched look running at a stacked defense expecting run. That's frustrating because when they do finally spread them out and use the width of the field pre-snap, it was an empty backfield. The overthrows, Humphries seeming out of sync. Those are practicable things. 

Defense, how can you tell? They don't have their QB. We have 2 starting CBs sitting? D looked good. 

Offense shorts sparks but isn't average yet. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They turned it over on downs and Cam Sims fumbled trying to fight for yardage  He also failed to haul in a TD later in the game.  That guy is just frustrating for me, every step forward is accompanied by a step backward with him.

I've never been a Cam Sims fan.  He dropped critical balls against Carolina and Tampa last year.  He's the definition of a JAG.  I'd rather keep AGG over him and continue to develop him.  

AGG's only big play last year, but you can see he can accelerate:

Unless the team keeps 4 rb’s Barber is in deep trouble. I’m guessing if the team knew what they were going to have (and how could they) in Patterson they wouldn’t have directed Barber to slim down.

Barber has never flashed. He’s simply been a situational hammer. Now he’s a smaller hammer.

Edited by Monte51Coleman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I understand the issues with both Sims’ and the fascination with AGG, but you are wanting to cut a guy who despite a few drops has actually made plays while promoting a guy in AGG who has no plays to speak of.

He doesn’t stand out in practice, preason or regular season and yet people want to cut Sims and promote AGG. That “highlight” video that is posted of him, is not impressive not to mention its 2 plays.

Hopefully the rest of the preseason showcases AGG some more so it can validate such a decision but man, right now AGG is about as raw as you can get. Even a guy like Isaiah Wright has shown more and yet no one is suggesting to keep him.

The Cam Sims hate I don't get. Should AGG make it over him? Probably. But he dropped three balls in the regular season last year, that's not even close to a record or particularly bad considering players like Dionte Johnson, Tyreek Hill, Jerry Juedy, Evan Engram and Alvin Kamara all dropped double digit balls each. He also had over 100 yards in the Playoff game but let's harp on the dropped ball.  He was consistent in the pass game from week 8 through the playoff game with terrible QBS averaging over 14 yards per catch including in the playoff game. I'm all for next man up but damn. AGG didn't do anything last year. He catches one 2 point conversion against third string and now the job is his I guess. 

• Like 4

@Florgon79 i think people are saying AGG should get the job over STEVEN Sims, not Cam Sims. 

EDIT: i see the cam sims posts now. Yeah, i dont get the hate either. I mean, he DID have a spectacular catch against Pittsburgh late in the game if i remember correctly, that led to our game winning FG

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@Florgon79 i think people are saying AGG should get the job over STEVEN Sims, not Cam Sims. 

EDIT: i see the cam sims posts now. Yeah, i dont get the hate either 

I get that Steve Sims shouldn't make the team, We have returners in Dax Milne and Jarret Patterson imo. Steve is obsolete. Personally I'd be ok with keeping an extra receiver and saying goodbye to Barber but it's too sketchy to only have three backs I get that.

I agree fans overreact to what they see in the preseason, which means little.  But I've been saying this since before the preseason, I don't know how you can have an elite defense with below average linebackers. I loved the Davis pick but we have no idea when or even if he will pan out, behind the starters they have nothing.  

Steven Sims had no margin for error. I think that drop sealed his fate, as it should. He has had his chances but he puts the ball on the ground just too often.  

I think they keep Barber because they like Barber and have nobody else to fill the short yardage role. But with his return ability I see them keeping 4 RBs and justifying keeping Patterson on the roster as a RB/return man.  

Fitz was bad.   Heinke's arm is just not strong enough.  They will need a QB next year and I'm not sure how you go about finding one picking in the middle of the first round.  It would be just so fitting that the team struggles at the position for years as Dwayne takes the Steelers to the playoffs.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

9 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Patterson had 150 all purpose yards last night? Damn impressive.

I don't remember seeing Patterson being asked to pass block, but perhaps I missed it. I LOVE Pattersons play and really hope he makes the roster. Pass blocking is part of an NFL RB resume, regardlesss of outcome I bet he does it with heart!

You can learn a ton from preseason, historically.  Its just where you choose to look.  Win-loss records in preseason arent that helpful overall because of the amount of time starters play.  But when you start to look at win-loss where starters play half of the game or more, its a great indicator of which will be the better team, and whoever is leading after the starters exit a game tends to be much better during the regular season.

• Like 1