Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Source: Breakout TE Logan Thomas agrees to 3-year NFL extension with WFT

TK

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31896887/source-breakout-te-logan-thomas-agrees-3-year-extension-washington-football-team

Source: Breakout TE Logan Thomas agrees to 3-year NFL extension with Washington Football Team

By John Keim
ESPN

The Washington Football Team and tight end Logan Thomas have agreed to a three-year extension months after his breakout season, a source confirmed.

Thomas caught a career-high 72 passes in 2020, finishing third among all tight ends. He also had 670 yards receiving, which was seventh, and six touchdown receptions. Before last season, Thomas' career-best totals were 16 catches and 173 yards.

Thomas also flourished in the red zone. He was second among tight ends with 15 catches in the red zone and first with 117 yards.

His position coach Pete Hoener, pointing out Thomas' improvement as a blocker, has called him one of the top "six or seven" all-around tight ends in the game.

That's quite a change for a guy who played quarterback at Virginia Tech. Arizona drafted him in the fourth round in 2014 to play quarterback, but he lasted one season. After stops with the Miami Dolphins and the New York Giants, Thomas converted to tight end in 2016 with Detroit. He signed with Washington in the 2020 offseason.

Washington signed defensive tackle Jonathan Allen to a four-year extension on Monday. The organization had targeted both Allen and Thomas as players it wanted to extend before the season.

Washington lacks proven depth behind Thomas. It drafted John Bates in the fourth round and also has veteran Ricky Seals-Jones plus Sammis Reyes, a former basketball player who is trying to become the first Chilean player to make it in the NFL.

The NFL Network first reported Thomas' extension.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, TK said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31896887/source-breakout-te-logan-thomas-agrees-3-year-extension-washington-football-team

Source: Breakout TE Logan Thomas agrees to 3-year NFL extension with Washington Football Team

I would change that thread title if I were you, the mods are pretty strict about that sort of thing. Wouldn't want you getting the dreaded Ban-Hammer now would we? :silly:

• Haha 8

Glad to see it, Logan Thomas turned into one of my favorite players last season. And from Virginia Tech too, love a local player coming into his own.

Also, take your photographs guys, you'll never see an admin miss rule 8 again.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.19baabc7b2671e4ca9e1e8114bac18a4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

• TK changed the title to ESPN.com: Source: Breakout TE Logan Thomas agrees to 3-year NFL extension with WFT
11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Vet min. + incentives

DONE!

Thomas' deal includes $24 million over three years, with $10.3 million guaranteed.  Not bad if he stays at this level

Edited by oraphus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Love it. Plenty on this board don’t realize what a stud Logan was last year. We’ve been saying it about all of our receivers, but imagine the numbers he would have put up with competent qb play. 

he busted his ass to convert from qb to te, all of the guys saw it, and now they see the man rewarded. I was worried he would walk next year after becoming a proven player, so I Could not be happier about this.

• Like 4

I had trouble buying into Thomas for some reason, but he is the prototypical all around TE that I've really wanted. If Bates can step into the inline blocker/FB type who just makes 2 or 3 clutch chain moving catches a game, our TE room could be pretty great.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Love it. Plenty on this board don’t realize what a stud Logan was last year. We’ve been saying it about all of our receivers, but imagine the numbers he would have put up with competent qb play. 

he busted his ass to convert from qb to te, all of the guys saw it, and now they see the man rewarded. I was worried he would walk next year after becoming a proven player, so I Could not be happier about this.

Posters here didn't appreciate what Thomas meant last year?  That's kind of  shocking, he was literally the only receiving TE on the roster and produced very well.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Posters here didn't appreciate what Thomas meant last year?  That's kind of  shocking, he was literally the only receiving TE on the roster and produced very well.

Shocking indeed. Did you happen to read the FA or draft threads? TE position was viewed as a major hole by many. This wouldn’t be the case if everyone thought of Logan as we do.

Edited by CTskin

25 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Shocking indeed. Did you happen to read the FA or draft threads? TE position was viewed as a major hole by many. This wouldn’t be the case if everyone thought of Logan as we do.

Thinking TE is a need position doesn't necessitate a devaluation of Thomas.

Two TE sets still happen in the NFL, and in some ways it an important non-starter position in a way that the slot receiver used to be as opposed to a full back. 

Now they have it locked down for 4 years between Thomas and Bates*. 

• Like 1

I don't think Thomas will be a sleeper in anyone's FFB drafts this year.  At least not for Redskins fans.  With Samuel and Brown added in and with better QB play I wouldn't let Thomas go beyond the sixth round.  (I like to have 2 RBs, 2 WR's, and a QB going into the 6th myself)

I'd imagine his targets might be down but I'd think TD's would be up.  

10 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I don't think Thomas will be a sleeper in anyone's FFB drafts this year.  At least not for Redskins fans.  With Samuel and Brown added in and with better QB play I wouldn't let Thomas go beyond the sixth round.  (I like to have 2 RBs, 2 WR's, and a QB going into the 6th myself)

I'd imagine his targets might be down but I'd think TD's would be up.  

I don't know if he would qualify as a sleeper since he had a great year last year, but I still think Thomas will be a great value pick considering I don't think he is getting the credit he deserves.  He doesn't seem to be on anyone's top 10 list for tight ends. I don't see him being drafted in the first six rounds, and he would be a great get once rounds 8 and 9 roll around.  

5 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

The King is Dead! Long live Queen Snyder! First of her name, Maker of Moves, CEO of WFT!

Tonya's first move after taking over was yelling at Dan, "put the coffee down Dan, coffee is for closers."

• Haha 1

Very good signing. I was super pleasantly surprised with his play last season. Truth be told, when we originally signed him I figured he was just a JAG who might barely stay on the roster simply due to a dearth of talent, but he ended up being a great addition.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I had trouble buying into Thomas for some reason, but he is the prototypical all around TE that I've really wanted. If Bates can step into the inline blocker/FB type who just makes 2 or 3 clutch chain moving catches a game, our TE room could be pretty great.

I think the Terrelle Pryor experiment had left a sour taste in many peoples mouths

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CTskin said:

We had 1 WR and the checkdowniest QB ever. Any TE could eat like that.