Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Source: Breakout TE Logan Thomas agrees to 3-year NFL extension with WFT

TK

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We had 1 WR and the checkdowniest QB ever. Any TE could eat like that. 

Checkdowniest has got to be the best superlative adjective that I've ever heard, and If it ever made it into a dictionary there would be a picture of Alex Smith next to it.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Thinking TE is a need position doesn't necessitate a devaluation of Thomas.

Two TE sets still happen in the NFL, and in some ways it an important non-starter position in a way that the slot receiver used to be as opposed to a full back. 

Now they have it locked down for 4 years between Thomas and Bates*. 

How many teams have two really good TEs? If you have a really good TE, you wouldn’t consider it a position of need… sure depth is great, but when you have one who’s top 10, it should not be anywhere near the “need” category. It’s the nature of the position. If anything we needed a blocking TE, but that’s not a player that should be mentioned as a must upgrade.

seriously not trying to debate, I’m as happy about this signing as I was about Allen. We’re rewarding the players who deserve it. Love it.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I said that earlier. He had a great year for sure, but you never know. The coaches must see a lot in him.

Or you missed a lot… I don’t mean that as abrasive as it came off, but Logan Thomas has the football IQ of a qb with pretty good athleticism. He had that intangible skill of finding the spaces. He also proved time and time again to have excellent hands. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CTskin said:

How many teams have two really good TEs? If you have a really good TE, you wouldn’t consider it a position of need… sure depth is great, but when you have one who’s top 10, it should not be anywhere near the “need” category. It’s the nature of the position. If anything we needed a blocking TE, but that’s not a player that should be mentioned as a must upgrade.

seriously not trying to debate, I’m as happy about this signing as I was about Allen. We’re rewarding the players who deserve it. Love it.

Or you missed a lot… I don’t mean that as abrasive as it came off, but Logan Thomas has the football IQ of a qb with pretty good athleticism. He had that intangible skill of finding the spaces. He also proved time and time again to have excellent hands. 

He did, yes. He had a great season. His blocking improved as the year went on too. He's legit good enough. I'm excited to see if he can be a great offball TE.

I'm really glad we re-signed him and am not trying to rain on his parade, but I think some of you are misremembering the season. Logan didn't start off too well, and some (myself included) were berating him for his dropped catches. He didn't really start to shine until the dallas game, and then had a break-out game against the Steelers.

Games Targets Catches Catch % Yards
1 - 5 32 14 43.75% 106
6 - 10 24 16 66.67% 202
11 - 16 54 42 77.78% 362
16 110 72 65.45% 670

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I'm really glad we re-signed him and am not trying to rain on his parade, but I think some of you are misremembering the season. Logan didn't start off too well, and some (myself included) were berating him for his dropped catches. He didn't really start to shine until the dallas game, and then had a break-out game against the Steelers.

1 - 5 32 14 43.75% 106
6 - 10 24 16 66.67% 202
11 - 16 54 42 77.78% 362
16 110 72 65.45% 670

Weren't those first 4-5 games the Haskins games mostly? Not really fair to judge based on that ****show, but he did improve throughout the season which is what you want to see from a guy still making the transition to starting TE after he finally got a lot of snaps for a team that believed in him. People still really don’t fully grasp just how ass Haskins was those weeks imo, even if they think they do. He was unbelievably bad, like not remotely NFL level bad. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, London Kev said:

1 - 5 32 14 43.75% 106
6 - 10 24 16 66.67% 202
11 - 16 54 42 77.78% 362
16 110 72 65.45% 670

Very fair. And much more unfair of me to point to the one game when he had a qb who could actually play the position, but I do weigh that TB playoff game heavier.

Not only that, this is a converted TE who was new to the team/system, so it’d make sense for him to excel later in the season. 

I know how kool aid drinking this comes off, but I see Logan as a weapon and easily top-10 during the rest of his time here.

• Like 1

If you look back, I was very positive about signing Thomas as a free agent prior to last year. I liked his size and saw some of what he did in Detroit and excited to see how he would continue his development. Obviously he had a great year with really no stability at qb.

He’s still fairly young and growing into the role of tight end. However $8 million per year warrants him to take the next step becoming a top ten tight end. Right now you could argue he is in the top 15 range.

I think this ranking list is pretty fair. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-tight-end-rankings-2021-nfl-season

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Weren't those first 4-5 games the Haskins games mostly? Not really fair to judge based on that ****show, but he did improve throughout the season which is what you want to see from a guy still making the transition to starting TE after he finally got a lot of snaps for a team that believed in him. People still really don’t fully grasp just how ass Haskins was those weeks imo, even if they think they do. He was unbelievably bad, like not remotely NFL level bad. 

I should do a cut and paste from Warren Sharp's book about our QB play last season.  The opening paragraphs startled ME and Ive been as harsh a critic of Haskins as there has been.  It was soooooo bad.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I should do a cut and paste from Warren Sharp's book about our QB play last season.  The opening paragraphs startled ME and Ive been as harsh a critic of Haskins as there has been.  It was soooooo bad.

That would be much appreciated, some targeted quotes would be nice, if you have time. 

But I agree that while people know it was bad, it’s sort of tough to really grasp HOW epically bad it was especially bc it was soon eclipsed in our minds by the also-bad-but-medically-impressive Alex Smith feel good story. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26

13 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That would be much appreciated, some targeted quotes would be nice, if you have time. 

But I agree that while people know it was bad, it’s sort of tough to really grasp HOW epically bad it was especially bc it was soon eclipsed in our minds by the also-bad-but-medically-impressive Alex Smith feel good story. 

Well there's this gem:

Dwayne Haskins wasn’t just the least accurate quarterback on the Football
Team, he was the least accurate in the entire NFL. That doesn’t even begin to
account for his actual results. Out of 50 qualifying quarterbacks, his EPA/att
ranked last. His success rate ranked last. His YPA ranked last

And this:

If you ask Haskins to complete a pass within eight yards of the line of scrimmage,
you have a chance. You ask him to push the ball more than eight yards
downfield, you’re playing with fire.
Haskins started the first four games of the 2020 season. Examine his passing
splits based on air yardage:
Up to 8 air yards: 89.5% catchable rate and 84.2% on-target rate
Beyond 8 air yards: 57.1% catchable rate and 42.9% on-target rate
Even if you exclude third downs from the calculus, Haskins couldn’t get the ball
downfield with any accuracy (48.3% on-target rate).
Compare Haskins to other Washington starters on these passes beyond 8 air
yards:
Haskins: 57.1% catchable rate and 42.9% on-target rate
Alex Smith: 75.0% catchable rate and 58.3% on-target rate
Kyle Allen: 68.2% catchable rate and 63.6 on-target rate
Taylor Heinicke: 79.3% catchable rate and 75.9% on-target rate

And:

On 75 passes thrown beyond eight yards downfield, his average throw depth was
17.3 air yards and his average YPA was 5.5. No other quarterback, not even Colt
McCoy on the Giants or Brandon Allen on the Bengals had a YPA of less than
7.5 on these throws. Haskins stood alone at 5.5.

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Sharp went on to breakdown the schematic changes Turner implemented with each quarterback.  The main takeaway was Turner was *highly* adaptable amd made significant changes to his playcalling on various down and distance to suit the strengths of each QB.  He was really coaching with his hands tied behind his back when Haskins and Alex were on the field.  You simply cannot fairly evaluate Turner's 2020 season.  Its just not possible.

We should find out about him this year for sure.  Its clear he's into analytics and examines these numbers closely.  He will figure out what Fitz does well and the offense will be tailored to suit him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1