Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

4 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Dude this forum is an offseason fever dream right now. Cosmi scoring touchdowns, it would be awesome lol

Seriously.  Lol. I'm not sure I've ever seen this board THIS much in love with our roster during the offseason. 

Sure hope we're all correct. This season can't get here fast enough. 

Hail. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Not bad at all, especially considering that the Haskins pick must've been a big negative.

Curl almost makes up for it tho. A redo of last years draft had him in the first round. Haskins was horrid. But I feel like the emergence of chase young almost keeps many of our fan base from realizing just how damn good sweat is. 

I wasn’t sold on him as a rookie but that kid took a monstrous step in year two and I expect him to continue to rise. He was a HUGE value to trade back up for. This team has really drafted well the past several years and that’s reflected here. 

Hell, here’s to praying Cosmi breaks our 2nd round curse and I believe he will. Clearly, Rivera and the staff believes in him and so do I. I was ecstatic we got him there. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

I feel like one underrated quality we absolutely missed last year was the chemistry between Allen and Ionnidas. I can’t wait to see them back together and stunting off each other. 

Those two are fun to watch on passing downs for sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moondog said:

I wasn’t sold on him as a rookie but that kid took a monstrous step in year two and I expect him to continue to rise. He was a HUGE value to trade back up for. This team has really drafted well the past several years and that’s reflected here. 

I still wonder how much of the improvement is based on coaching and scheme and how much is based on player improvement. I do think Sweat deserves credit for how much better he played from his rookie to sophomore year, but I wonder if it happens or to what degree it happens without Del Rio and Rivera's influence. Not to mention the different cast of players on D.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I still wonder how much of the improvement is based on coaching and scheme and how much is based on player improvement. I do think Sweat deserves credit for how much better he played from his rookie to sophomore year, but I wonder if it happens or to what degree it happens without Del Rio and Rivera's influence. Not to mention the different cast of players on D.

And the whole lining up opposite of Chase thing as well. Either way sweat stepped up

On 6/18/2021 at 10:35 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Thinking more about that scheme explanation in the Athletic article gives me a better appreciation of why the football world seemed to be so high on the value of Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah before draft day.  Daniel Jeremiah had him #15 on his final board, for example.  His heart condition is ultimately what made him drop, but if that doesn't limit him in his playing career, then the Browns might have gotten incredible value with him in the second.

He could end up being the best star or buffalo nickel in the NFL.  Probably between him and Isaiah Simmons and Derwin James as the most talented prospects to come out in the last five years to play that specific role.  And of the three, Owusu-Koromoah is the one who gives you the best box so you wouldn't have to rotate anyone else at the position while he is healthy.  He's your star for every match up, even against the most physical run games.

Kind of makes me think that if Curl hadn't had such a good rookie year, we would have doubled up in the draft and picked Owusu-Koromoah in the second instead of Cosmi.

Forgot about Jamal Adams.  He's probably the best star nickel in the NFL, but I assume he splits his time at safety.

I want to absolutely love the Jamin pick, but I honestly still see JOK as a higher impact player than Jamin, especially as a rookie. And when was the last time someone had to leave the league because of a heart condition? Or died because of one? The risk is there but is way overblown. 

Sure, JOK is lighter than Davis. But, he has the same arm length and is a much bigger hitter. JOK is much, much better in coverage. I honestly think he could be our #4 or 5 CB. Neither one is going to make a living shedding blocks. And don't tell me about their pro days. JOK plays WAY faster than Jamin. 

In any case, I would love to have had both, but already having secured Jamin, I'm pretty happy that we grabbed the #2 RAS OT of all time. We had a dire lack of young OT's in the pipeline. We were lucky to get Cosmi and the positional value there is so good. 

Anyway, I agree with you about JOK being an elite big nickel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I want to absolutely love the Jamin pick, but I honestly still see JOK as a higher impact player than Jamin, especially as a rookie. And when was the last time someone had to leave the league because of a heart condition? Or died because of one? The risk is there but is way overblown. 

Sure, JOK is lighter than Davis. But, he has the same arm length and is a much bigger hitter. JOK is much, much better in coverage. I honestly think he could be our #4 or 5 CB. Neither one is going to make a living shedding blocks. And don't tell me about their pro days. JOK plays WAY faster than Jamin. 

In any case, I would love to have had both, but already having secured Jamin, I'm pretty happy that we grabbed the #2 RAS OT of all time. We had a dire lack of young OT's in the pipeline. We were lucky to get Cosmi and the positional value there is so good. 

Anyway, I agree with you about JOK being an elite big nickel. 

Sure, but drafting JOK instead of Jamin still leaves a gaping hole at LB.  Maybe JOK is an upgrade over Kam Curl/Landon Collins/Khaleke Hudson at Buffalo Nickel.  But is he a bigger upgrade over those options than Jamin is over Bostic?  I'm unsure of how talented Jamin is at playing LB in the box.  But I do feel pretty sure JOK can't do it.  I feel like we've got a good idea on what JOK's ceiling is as a player, but Jamin's is unclear.

So three questions regarding JOK vs Jamin.

Rookie impact - Is JOK a bigger upgrade at Buffalo Nickel than Jamin is over Bostic?

Long term impact - Who has higher potential, JOK or Jamin?

Rarity/Replaceability  - What position is harder to draft, Buffalo Nickel or LB?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sweats awesome, but he's definitely the odd man out of our line. I don't want to even think about it and we don't for a bit.

Why’s that?  I think having two ends with the speed to rush the passer and tackle sideline to sideline are what can make this defense special. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

One important thing to consider when it comes to re-signing our DL are their respective ages.  It's always wise to invest your resources in younger talent whenever possible if everything else is similar/equal.  It's why I would definitely pay Young and Payne over Sweat and Allen if forced to choose (Matt I. would likely command the least out of them all, so I'd keep him regardless):

Matt Ioannidis - 27.4 years old

Jonathan Allen - 26.4 years old

Montez Sweat - 24.7 years old

Daron Payne - 24.0 years old

Chase Young - 22.1 years old

Ideally, we'll be able to lock up 4 out of 5 long-term.  I just hope we don't make Allen the highest paid DT and miss out on locking up these younger guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

And the whole lining up opposite of Chase thing as well. Either way sweat stepped up

Lol you guys literally just proved my point. Sweat was a top 10 pick til some medical stuff popped up and he’s proven why. Of course he plays on a great defense. He’s also the 2nd best player on that defense next to chase young. 9 sacks, a pick he took back for 6, 2 FF and 6 passes defended is pretty damn good. I’m excited for our future. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

A speculative theory I have is Rivera being intrigued by idea of having a cheap contract at QB combined with an elite roster. He shared this team not having to rely on the QB to do it all (paraphrasing) like they did in Carolina. Not a huge leap this ties into financially as well. 

Is the organization treating this season as an experiment that may lead to a theory and potentially a conclusion to go cheap and go all in financially on Allen, Payne, Sweat, and Young in that order to lead the way to being contenders for the next 5 years? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mojo said:

Why’s that?  I think having two ends with the speed to rush the passer and tackle sideline to sideline are what can make this defense special. 

Yeah I don't really get why Sweat would be the "odd man out" on our DL. If anything I think he's one of the two most valuable pieces along with Chase. It's very rare to get one freak of nature potentially elite Edge guy. It's almost unheard of to have two of those guys...and both of them being under 25 years old to boot. Neither of them is going anywhere. I think one of our 3 interior DL will probably be traded at some point in the next year or two. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Burgold said:

From what I remember, he really started turning it on in the second half of his rookie season. I think he just made the right adjustments.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

A speculative theory I have is Rivera being intrigued by idea of having a cheap contract at QB combined with an elite roster. He shared this team not having to rely on the QB to do it all (paraphrasing) like they did in Carolina. Not a huge leap this ties into financially as well. 

Is the organization treating this season as an experiment that may lead to a theory and potentially a conclusion to go cheap and go all in financially on Allen, Payne, Sweat, and Young in that order to lead the way to being contenders for the next 5 years? 

I had a similar feeling about what Rivera said too, wit33. Though I think that making your sole operating procedure and being wholly devoted to it is kind of reckless, it lends itself to any team(like us) who constantly finds itself without a franchise QB.

Having a stacked roster and well coached operation really does two things. 1. It allows any semi-competent QB to step in and succeed. 2. It draws the better free agent QB's to us knowing that they would be stepping into a sound organization. 

I would love to have a franchise QB and keep a stacked team for him to flourish in. But in a world where we operate year after year without one, this is our best situation by far. I am surprised it took this long for anyone to formulate this plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mudhog said:

I had a similar feeling about what Rivera said too, wit33. Though I think that making your sole operating procedure and being wholly devoted to it is kind of reckless, it lends itself to any team(like us) who constantly finds itself without a franchise QB.

Having a stacked roster and well coached operation really does two things. 1. It allows any semi-competent QB to step in and succeed. 2. It draws the better free agent QB's to us knowing that they would be stepping into a sound organization. 

I would love to have a franchise QB and keep a stacked team for him to flourish in. But in a world where we operate year after year without one, this is our best situation by far. I am surprised it took this long for anyone to formulate this plan.

I think he's taking a wait and see approach towards how good this defense can be. RR knows he can keep it together for a few years so it doesn't have to be a one-and-done season. If the defense shines as it's supposed to there's more value in going after an Arod next year ( I don't think he gets traded from GB this season IMO). Fitz was never the answer but he's going to make our own defense work whether by being a successful QB or by being the Fitz we all know (high turnovers).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wit33 said:

Every (smart) team wants to do this until they get a real stud at the position, it’s not super revolutionary. To be fair, there aren’t as many smart teams in the league as there should be, and it’s nice to possibly be counted among them (for now). 

All that said…Rivera still had a Plan A of trading cost-efficient, premium draft resources in order to pay Stafford a gazillion dollars to be our QB, so while he’s making the most with what he’s got, I wouldn’t say he cracked some secret code and has a strict philosophy he wants to try out here. Above all he still wants a stud franchise QB and is willing to pay big to get someone he perceives to be one.

It’s still very encouraging that he’s so cap-conscious and understands the advantage that it gives you to continuously have a strong rolling slate of rookie contracts bracing the bottom 1/2 to 2/3 of the roster. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mudhog said:

Oh ya, I agree on being solely devoted to anything isn’t a good way to operate.

If not named Tom Brady/I’m willing to be paid 10% or less of the cap each season its damn hard to be a consistent contender. 

I speculate the next 10 years will feature many final 4 QBs that make 10% or less of the cap. 

• Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 9:32 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Sweats awesome, but he's definitely the odd man out of our line. I don't want to even think about it and we don't for a bit.

Totally disagree. I think Sweat and Chase are the 2 must keeps. It's between Payne and Allen who will most likely be odd man out. 

• Like 2