Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Every (smart) team wants to do this until they get a real stud at the position, it’s not super revolutionary. To be fair, there aren’t as many smart teams in the league as there should be, and it’s nice to possibly be counted among them (for now). 

All that said…Rivera still had a Plan A of trading cost-efficient, premium draft resources in order to pay Stafford a gazillion dollars to be our QB, so while he’s making the most with what he’s got, I wouldn’t say he cracked some secret code and has a strict philosophy he wants to try out here. Above all he still wants a stud franchise QB and is willing to pay big to get someone he perceives to be one.

It’s still very encouraging that he’s so cap-conscious and understands the advantage that it gives you to continuously have a strong rolling slate of rookie contracts bracing the bottom 1/2 to 2/3 of the roster. 

And we can’t take for granted hitting in the draft. This process works great when you’re crushing draft prospects. Strike out in the draft and rookie contracts don’t matter much. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd love to keep Sweat. Just think he's not going to be paid as much by us and we keep drafting pass rushers.

I'd love to keep them all, I just don't think it will be economically feasible unless a couple of them agree to more moderate contracts than they're likely to ask for. All things being equal, a good edge guy is more valuable than a good DT. I have a hard time seeing RR or JDR giving up one of a pair of potentially dominant edge guys, as having that is so rare and pretty much a DC's wet dream.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'd love to keep them all, I just don't think it will be economically feasible unless a couple of them agree to more moderate contracts than they're likely to ask for. All things being equal, a good edge guy is more valuable than a good DT. I have a hard time seeing RR or JDR giving up one of a pair of potentially dominant edge guys, as having that is so rare and pretty much a DC's wet dream.

Well, we've got them both for a few years and probably Allen and Payne also. If Chase turns into a 20 sack guy and we stay good against the run, Sweat becomes the worst investment. 

I would love to keep both too. I do think its possible that their combined contracts end up hurting us in other areas that their play may not make up for. 

These are the hard conversations that have having what amounts to 3(?) GMs in the building would probably help us with...i hope. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I would love to keep both too. I do think its possible that their combined contracts end up hurting us in other areas that their play may not make up for. 

These are the hard conversations that have having what amounts to 3(?) GMs in the building would probably help us with...i hope. 

It's why I'm glad we'll eventually have a QB of the future on a rookie deal too. Only way we keep those 4 and TMac.

• Like 3

I listened to Rivera talk about Kuechly on a podcast.  Sounds like Kuechly is not going to coach this year, he's likely taking a break from football.    But when he came to talk the LBs, he helped teach them how he does film study and prepare for opponents and Rivera said it was very helpfull specifically talking about Holcomb and Jamin Davis. 

I was a Jamin Davis > Zaven Collins guy albeit I still liked Collins as a player.    Will see....

I listened to this interview.  Reaves is an entertaining/funny guy,

The list of compliments about rookie linebacker Jamin Davis continues to grow as of recently. Just the other day head coach Ron Rivera said the first-round pick is the high-impact guy Washington is looking for and now Davis’ teammate, safety Jeremy Reaves, has some praise to give of his own.

“He’s got a chance to be special,” Reaves said on 106.7 The Fan’s Grant & Danny Show Tuesday afternoon. “He’s very instinctual, very smart, he understands game, he understands leverages, passing concepts. The kid's got it all honestly.” 

Even though Davis only started one season at Kentucky before being drafted 19th overall in April, his head coach and teammates believe he’s set to meet the high expectations that have been placed on him. 

“He’s a very well rounded football player and he’s got that confidence and swagger that you like at linebacker. I know me personally I’m gonna knock somebody’s face off but I know he’s gonna knock somebody’s face off too. It makes our job easier when you got a guy like that and he can freaking run too -- so it’s very convenient for the guys in the back” Reaves said.

For @Koolblue13 who I know has been missing my pro Fitzpatrick propaganda while the board was down this week. 😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to Rivera talk about Kuechly on a podcast.  Sounds like Kuechly is not going to coach this year, he's likely taking a break from football.    But when he came to talk the LBs, he helped teach them how he does film study and prepare for opponents and Rivera said it was very helpfull specifically talking about Holcomb and Jamin Davis. 

I was a Jamin Davis > Zaven Collins guy albeit I still liked Collins as a player.    Will see....

Dude looks like he's baked out of his mind xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ASHBURN, Va. -- The improvement was obvious, even if it was just a spring practice with shoulder pads tucked in a storage room. Washington Football Team running back Antonio Gibson ran around the end on a tight zone play, pressing the line of scrimmage, and then made a tight cut outside for a gain of five yards.

It wasn't a spectacular play, but it was a notable one for this reason: Running backs coach Randy Jordan said that a year ago, Gibson would have immediately cut upfield for, perhaps, a gain of two. Gibson now knows better where he must be -- and when. And he knows how to set defenders up.

"It's like night and day," Jordan said.

It's why Washington is excited about Gibson as the offseason closes -- and it's why he'll be intriguing, and then some, for fantasy football players this season. As a rookie, transitioning from playing mostly receiver in college, Gibson rushed for 795 yards and 11 touchdowns.

In his first eight games, he averaged 4.34 yards per carry with seven runs of 10 yards or more. In his last six games -- he missed two because of a turf toe injury -- Gibson averaged 5.05 yards per carry with 14 runs of 10 yards or more.

....Gibson also said he's confident regarding the turf toe injury that sidelined him for two games. He participated in all the workouts open to the media this offseason and did not show obvious ill-effects from the injury.

Gibson did not need surgery on the toe, but said, "Definitely something to monitor. I've been cutting and running full speed, making cuts I need to make. ... But I definitely got to watch and make sure I stay up on my treatment so nothing goes south."

To help, Gibson said he trained at EXOS in Dallas this offseason. EXOS' Performance director Brent Callaway said they take a holistic approach, focusing not just on training but also on physical therapy and nutrition. They worked with Gibson's toe but then focused on other aspects, preparing him for the season and continuing to work on his nutrition. Callaway said Gibson already was good in those areas.

Gibson also earned his college degree from Memphis, becoming the first male member on both his mother and father's sides of the family to do so. He also welcomed a baby daughter.

"He was already a mature kid when we had him out of Memphis," Callaway said. "He's a man now. He's a guy with a career who understands what he needs to do to move forward. That's where he's changed. Physically he hasn't changed. It will be really neat to see where he goes in the next three to four years. Watching him during the course of the year and watching him accelerate away from safeties and do stuff a 230-pound player shouldn't be able to do ... that's always eye-catching.

"He still has loads of speed and still has loads of change-of-direction ability. Now it's about getting that in the right condition so there aren't lingering problems with his foot."

That's why, with all the changes that took place on Washington's offense, Gibson's maturity at running back might provide the biggest boost.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/87579/antonio-gibsons-growth-could-fuel-washington-football-teams-attack

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to this interview.  Reaves is an entertaining/funny guy,

The list of compliments about rookie linebacker Jamin Davis continues to grow as of recently. Just the other day head coach Ron Rivera said the first-round pick is the high-impact guy Washington is looking for and now Davis’ teammate, safety Jeremy Reaves, has some praise to give of his own.

“He’s got a chance to be special,” Reaves said on 106.7 The Fan’s Grant & Danny Show Tuesday afternoon. “He’s very instinctual, very smart, he understands game, he understands leverages, passing concepts. The kid's got it all honestly.” 

Even though Davis only started one season at Kentucky before being drafted 19th overall in April, his head coach and teammates believe he’s set to meet the high expectations that have been placed on him. 

“He’s a very well rounded football player and he’s got that confidence and swagger that you like at linebacker. I know me personally I’m gonna knock somebody’s face off but I know he’s gonna knock somebody’s face off too. It makes our job easier when you got a guy like that and he can freaking run too -- so it’s very convenient for the guys in the back” Reaves said.

For @Koolblue13 who I know has been missing my pro Fitzpatrick propaganda while the board was down this week. 😀

And he also said at that time,  “...Or if Taylor ends up being the guy, why wouldn’t we want that guy to be the guy for a while?"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ODU AGGIE said:

And he also said at that time,  “...Or if Taylor ends up being the guy, why wouldn’t we want that guy to be the guy for a while?"

As you being perhaps the biggest Heinicke advocate here, you'd probably especially enjoy Rivera's appearance on Galdi's podcast.  I think I've heard all of Rivera's run of interviews of late with Standig, Keim, Galdi, etc.  The Galdi one felt to me as the most effusive one about Heinicke.  The only bad news in that mix of listening to all the stuff on Heinicke is that it seems like injury concerns do exist about him within that coaching staff -- if I recall you think injury concerns are overblown.  But as a player Rivera certainly seems intrigued.  But he also blows up with complements to Fitz, too.  Talks up the value of veteran leadership at the spot and gives examples of it from camp.   And everyone who covers the team that I can recall are saying its Fitz's job to lose.

Personally, I don't really care who wins the job.  I root for every dude on the team.  Rooting for Fitz.  Rooting for Heinicke.  Rooting for Allen.    I strongly suspect Fitz wins the job.  But if Heinicke becomes the surprise starter, that's cool too. 

• Like 2

I know interviews aren't the be all and end all but for what its worth Thomas is a great interview -- comes off smart and driven. 

I'd add WFT's TE coach is considered one of the best TE coaches in the league and is from what I've heard not the easiest coach to please.  Drill seargent type.  So him saying Thomas is the 7th best TE in the league, I figure he meant it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As a refresher on Thomas

Washington tight ends coach Pete Hoener refers to it with a simple phrase: “Well I think the first thing you look for in any prospect in that position is 'complete tight end traits.'

“That’s a tight end that is not only a heck of a receiver but is a heck of a pass protector," Hoener said. "Being able to block the best defensive end. He’s a heck of a run blocker…so these guys are part o-linemen and part receivers.”

Last offseason, when Washington was looking for an answer at a position that had been inconsistent for years, Logan Thomas was someone that showed potential to fit the mold of a complete tight end. His physical traits stood out immediately, and there were flashes of an ability to succeed at tight end.

Really the only thing missing was an extensive amount of tape, as Thomas was still fairly new to the position after spending college and his early pro time as a quarterback.

“You saw him on tape have first-step quickness, speed out of his breaks at times," Hoener said. "He was just a guy that never got to play much, that didn’t fit in wherever he was before. He certainly had the traits that we’re looking for for a complete tight end.”

Washington saw the upside and decided to take a risk. It paid off handsomely in Year 1.

With 72 receptions for 670 yards and six touchdowns, Thomas not only showed he was capable of being an NFL tight end, but he demonstrated that he could do it at a high level. The production was there, as was his ability to block opposing defenders.

Thomas emerged as Hoener's vision of a complete tight end. More than that, the position coach now views him as one of the best in the game.

“I think right now, when I talk about a complete tight end, he’s got to be in the top five, six or seven in the league," Hoener said. "As far as the way he blocks, his total attitude as a real pro, his leadership qualities, and then his production as a receiver obviously is proven now. And I just look for that to keep going up and up.”

His impact on offense is what led Hoener to make such a statement, as did his stability. Having a consistent option at tight end -- or in the passing game in general -- had been hard to come by in recent years. Thomas changed that.

“He played in over 1,000 plays and was out there in every game," Hoener said. "As far as, probably, the most reliable offensive player and dependable player that we had on the team last year.”

Hoener doesn't believe that is the ceiling for Thomas either. The pass-catcher is still young in terms of his experience at tight end, and as he gets more reps, there is an opportunity to grow even more. That's already been demonstrated early in OTAs through his route running and quickness out of breaks.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/washingtons-te-coach-sees-logan-thomas-among-top-complete-tight-ends

• Like 4