Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

15 hours ago, terpfan said:

I don’t think Roberts’ contract necessarily works in his favor vs Moreland. We would save basically the same amount in cap space from cutting either Roberts or Moreland (850k). Moreland still has two years left on his rookie deal at low cap hits of around $1 mil per. In a vacuum, I’d say that’s more valuable than Roberts one year deal at 1.6M. 

That said, I think we keep both as our 4th and 5th corners. I’d rather have both of those guys than Apke or Danny Johnson. 

Moreland has 2 years on his deal, and that can be a positive, but let's not forget he got beat like a drum. Tom Brady's plan was Darby + Moreland + Bostic.  

They signed a top corner and drafted a starting CB. Added to the Roberts signing and that's a 60% turnover in one year. Fuller + 60% new faces + a young development corner.  

They're cleaning house. 

They'll draft a corner next year too. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Moreland has 2 years on his deal, and that can be a positive, but let's not forget he got beat like a drum. Tom Brady's plan was Darby + Moreland + Bostic.  

They signed a top corner and drafted a starting CB. Added to the Roberts signing and that's a 60% turnover in one year. Fuller + 60% new faces + a young development corner.  

They're cleaning house. 

They'll draft a corner next year too. 

This draft was so rich at CB/DB, that I wish we double dipped. Maybe instead of the Bates pick, which I can't believe I'm saying.

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This draft was so rich at CB/DB, that I wish we double dipped. Maybe instead of the Bates pick, which I can't believe I'm saying.

Who was available at that point that you liked? 

I still say that Brevin Jordan, Caden Sterns or Shaun Wade are all higher upside picks. 

22 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I still say that Brevin Jordan, Caden Sterns or Shaun Wade are all higher upside picks. 

I liked Wade and Sterns too. I don't think Jordan was very high on our radar after hearing about his interviews. I'm not sure. Maybe we could have moved up into that CB run at the end of the 3rd.

21 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Shaun Wade is kind of in that Kam Curl role though.  Buffalo Nickel and possible SS.

I think I'm the only person on this forum who thought Brevin Jordan's draft fall was appropriate.  I do not think he has the upside the draftnik community believes.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think it's likely Bobby McCain being released by the Dolphins was extremely fortuitous.  We had issues with "just ok" FS play.  McCain, for one year, might give us above average play.

But if we had not drafted Bates...our TE room is the same as last year. An injury to Logan Thomas and we're beyond screwed.  Sammis Reyes is an athletic marvel, but he's still learning the basics of the game.

And who knows, maybe the DB we grabbed in the 5th works out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think it's likely Bobby McCain being released by the Dolphins was extremely fortuitous.  We had issues with "just ok" FS play.  McCain, for one year, might give us above average play.

But if we had not drafted Bates...our TE room is the same as last year. An injury to Logan Thomas and we're beyond screwed.  Sammis Reyes is an athletic marvel, but he's still learning the basics of the game.

And who knows, maybe the DB we grabbed in the 5th works out.

Yeah, I think Forrest has looked good. I think I kind of forgot about him.

I think Boston was on speed dial, until McCain became free.

I already regret saying we shouldn't have drafted Bates. :ols: I think he's a perfect fit and will develop into an excellent starter in a few years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Ya can't have everything

Yes there are still places we could use upgrades and yes wouldn't it be sweet if Kyle Pitts had fallen in our laps and yes-yes-yes a hundred what ifs? come to mind but when I step back to look at the big picture, this staff has done one helluva job improving the roster up n down and back n forth, we sure look a lot stronger in alot of ways with many interlocking pieces that can and should make this team better than the sum of its parts.

I am amped to see what this team can do ( just not in that weird way that Die Hard gif'd)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This defense is loaded.  They're going to be elite, and probably still would be without any rookie contributions.  What I wish we had done is build the offense more.  This was a special offensive class and a weaker defensive class.  Not sure about Bates since he didn't do a lot of pass catching in college, and Cosmi and Dyami Brown are a decent start at rebuilding a god awful offense.  But we needed to do more, and if anything is going to hold us back this season, it's the offense.  At least we got Samuel.  Signing Leno only to cut Moses was a lateral move, but getting Samuel was big.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This defense is loaded.  They're going to be elite, and probably still would be without any rookie contributions.  What I wish we had done is build the offense more.  This was a special offensive class and a weaker defensive class.  Not sure about Bates since he didn't do a lot of pass catching in college, and Cosmi and Dyami Brown are a decent start at rebuilding a god awful offense.  But we needed to do more, and if anything is going to hold us back this season, it's the offense.  At least we got Samuel.  Signing Leno only to cut Moses was a lateral move, but getting Samuel was big.

Took 5 years to get the defense to this point, so we got 4 more years to do the same on offense lol...

21 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I feel like we've upgraded the offense pretty substantially. We'll start the year with two upgrades to QB, added WR2,3,4, depth at TE and Oline. I would have loved to bring in an upgrade to Barber, but with the WRs we now have, it should really allow Turner to open up his book and put less weight on Gibson. Gibson is the key IMO

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Yeah, I really do wonder whether Danny Johnson and Jimmy Moreland can secure spots on this year's team. Both would have to have really strong camps. 

1 - Jackson

2 - Fuller

3 - St. Juste

4 - Roberts

5 - ?

6 - ?

Comments by the coach seemed to indicate this was a permanent switch for Apke. You want that 5th corner to be a great special teams guy and he is that.

Seems to be a good pre-season competition between three guys. I do think there is only one spot up for grabs (5 corners), unless they drop Landon Collins. 

I agree with this. I don’t think Jimmy is a lock. I think part of the reason for signing McCain is his ability to play corner. That would put him as the fifth corner and allow us to keep 5 safeties. 

5 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I agree with this. I don’t think Jimmy is a lock. I think part of the reason for signing McCain is his ability to play corner. That would put him as the fifth corner and allow us to keep 5 safeties. 

We also have no starting FS and he is an excellent FS. You don't think we'd play our newly signed FS at FS and instead play him at CB5?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I feel like we've upgraded the offense pretty substantially. We'll start the year with two upgrades to QB, added WR2,3,4, depth at TE and Oline. I would have loved to bring in an upgrade to Barber, but with the WRs we now have, it should really allow Turner to open up his book and put less weight on Gibson. Gibson is the key IMO

Yeah I agree. I think we did as much as we realistically could to upgrade the offense. Better QB in FA, added a legit #2 and a good slot receiver in FA, drafted a super high upside OT in the 2nd, drafted a fast and dynamic deep threat receiver in the 3rd, drafted a TE with lots of potential upside in the 4th.

There's only so much you can do in one offseason, and I generally don't want the team to reach for need in the draft just to try to fill a position.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1