Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

"I think the game really slowed down for him as a rookie going through what we went through last year," said assistant offensive line coach Travelle Wharton. "I've seen him grow so much."

That last part could be taken literally, because Charles has put on about 20 pounds since his college career ended. Once he wrapped up his surgery, he hired a chef and paid more attention to his diet. His breakfast stayed on the lighter side -- he starts the day with fruit and maybe a biscuit or some grits -- but then his plate is filled with fish, rice and vegetables for lunch and dinner.

Charles spent most of his time at Inova Sports Performance Center going through his rehab with Ryan Vermillion and working in the weight room with Brett Nenaber. They helped get him right, he said, and he feels like he's gotten stronger. But that hasn't come as a trade-off for his agility. In fact, he said he is just as fast and quick as he ever was at LSU.

"I wouldn't say I'm the same player," Charles said, "but I still have things from my game from the last time you guys saw me. And I've added some new things now."

Adding more tools to his skillset has been a priority for Charles over the past six months. He played coy on giving out too many explicit details, but he did say that he has focused more on the smaller details of his game like fine-tuning his stance, using his hands, being more physical and perfecting his footwork.

Charles also dedicated much of his recovery time to studying his playbook. He studied film and broke down some of his opponents, giving him a better understanding of NFL-style defenses. It's exciting, Wharton said, to see a player like Charles soak everything in and be eager to use all he's learned in the past year.

"Saahdiq's a tremendous athlete," Wharton said. "He's strong, he has all the tools, the explosiveness, the strength. He can play any of the spots that's asked of him."

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Mooka said:

We might have the top D in terms of talent this year but im not expecting it on the stat sheet or at least in total yards/points. 

I expect our offense to actually put up points this year which will change the gameflow a bit.

We should be a top unit in terms big plays though. (Fumbles/Ints/Sacks/Etc) 

It's going to be fun to watch this defense play with a multi-score lead.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Is derrius guice back on the team? Please don't bash me I'm arguing with somebody on YouTube right now

He has not been resigned after being cut. I seriously doubt there is any interest (thankfully) since it's believed that RR took him off his board in Carolina due to off-fields concerns. Also, his legal trouble is not over. It's just one part and he paid his way out of that one.  

I was one of the biggest Guice supporters pre-draft, including drafting him for our team in the ES Mock Draft. I got it 100% wrong. The sad part is physically he has so much talent. But like many he can't get out of his own way making really poor decisions in his personal life. He does not fit Ron's profile of a player and we are all better for it. 

It's been nice reading story after story of guys going all in on the system and their craft. The Sadiq Charles story is amazing. Went out and got a nutritionist and put on several pounds of muscle. Really took care of his body during the offseason and then had his head in the playbook. These type of guys are all over the team now where we used to maybe have one or two guys like that if any. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It's been nice reading story after story of guys going all in on the system and their craft. The Sadiq Charles story is amazing. Went out and got a nutritionist and put on several pounds of muscle. Really took care of his body during the offseason and then had his head in the playbook. These type of guys are all over the team now where we used to maybe have one or two guys like that if any. 

Certainly sounds like Charles will be the primary reserve and then start next year. Health obviously being a question.

But...

I'm with the crowd hoping that he shows well enough that they start him and deal Scherff. If he doesn't sign, deal him ffs. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Certainly sounds like Charles will be the primary reserve and then start next year. Health obviously being a question.

But...

I'm with the crowd hoping that he shows well enough that they start him and deal Scherff. If he doesn't sign, deal him ffs. 

I was in the "trade Scherff" camp as well but unfortunately I just don't think it would happen. Why would anyone trade a high pick for him now when they can be pretty much 100% certain that he'll hit FA after this season? Sure, they technically could franchise tag him for a 3rd time but it would be ludicrously expensive.

Only way I think we'd be able to trade him now is if another team has a guy get injured and they have a dire need to fill the position ASAP.

I think this will end up being yet another screw up where we have a high draft pick star leave the team and we get nothing in return.

• Like 2

@mistertim Sure looks that way. I still hold out a little hope we get a LTD done. I will say at least we’ve prepared for it and drafted/signed a couple guys that look capable of handling it, in Charles and Schweitzer.  But yeah if anything better than a 3rd pop up on the radar we’d have to seriously consider it imo. 

• Like 1

On a positive note we probably receive a 3rd round comp pick and cap relief. We would have a young productive inexpensive offensive line for the future. A nice check in the box when managing the roster. 

Provides cap flexibility for us to sign or trade for an impact player....perhaps a QB for example?!

Perhaps the added capital could be used to retain our defensive front.

Ron loves flexibility and we can use that 18 million anywhere on the roster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SkinsFootball said:

On a positive note we probably receive a 3rd round comp pick and cap relief. We would have a young productive inexpensive offensive line for the future. A nice check in the box when managing the roster. 

Provides cap flexibility for us to sign or trade for an impact player....perhaps a QB for example?!

Perhaps the added capital could be used to retain our defensive front.

Ron loves flexibility and we can use that 18 million anywhere on the roster.

yeah just trade him for a 3rd… i would rather spend that 18 mil extending our young players who wants to be here instead of giving it to a guy who will most likely leave next year.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Think its pretty clear Scherf wants top $$$ and we don't want to pay him.

His play this year could force the issue. 

I think that's true to an extent, but IMO injuries would be the biggest things to derail him getting a huge payday. Even if his play this year isn't as good as last season he was still a 1st team All-Pro in 2020 and that will be enough to make plenty of teams chase him.

But Scherff has also had issues with staying healthy (missed 18 games over the last 4 seasons) and teams will be wary of that, especially considering he'll be 30 years old next season. If he has injuries again this year I could see that having a potentially big impact on how much he'll realistically get.

That said, the fact that the two sides reportedly aren't really close indicates to me that Scherff is looking to be paid booku bucks, and we're not willing to hit his numbers.

• Like 1

3) Washington Football Team

The Washington Football Team will return four of their five starters in 2021. The only change is the addition of Charles Leno Jr., who replaces Morgan Moses. Leno has an opportunity to be an upgrade on Moses, which would make this an impressive line all the way across. Leno could slot in at the LT position he is familiar with and Cornelius Lucas switching to right tackle. Or Leno may make the switch to RT and leave Lucas on the left side.

Plying at left tackle last season, Cornelius Lucas was impressive last season. He had just 8 blown blocks in over 500 snaps and was credited with just 2 sacks. In fact, the entire remainder of the line had a blown block rate below 2%. The quality of Brandon Scherff is well-known, while Chase Roullier has become one of the best centers in the league. Furthermore, Wes Schweitzer impressed in his first season in Washington, with just 16 blown blocks on 931 snaps.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I think that's true to an extent, but IMO injuries would be the biggest things to derail him getting a huge payday. Even if his play this year isn't as good as last season he was still a 1st team All-Pro in 2020 and that will be enough to make plenty of teams chase him.

But Scherff has also had issues with staying healthy (missed 18 games over the last 4 seasons) and teams will be wary of that, especially considering he'll be 30 years old next season. If he has injuries again this year I could see that having a potentially big impact on how much he'll realistically get.

That said, the fact that the two sides reportedly aren't really close indicates to me that Scherff is looking to be paid booku bucks, and we're not willing to hit his numbers.

My guess is Washington is fine with a per year average that makes him the highest paid, but probably don’t want to get into 3.5 year type guaranteed deal. Length of deal versus yearly being the hang up. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

My guess is Washington is fine with a per year average that makes him the highest paid, but probably don’t want to get into 3.5 year type guaranteed deal. Length of deal versus yearly being the hang up. 

I also wonder if maybe they think that the drop off of talent from Scherff to the younger guys they have might not be enough to warrant spending so much money on him. Maybe they take his age and injury history into it as well.

I'd love to keep him but I also think making him the highest paid Guard in the NFL would potentially handicap us when it comes to paying guys on the DL as well as McLaurin.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I also wonder if maybe they think that the drop off of talent from Scherff to the younger guys they have might not be enough to warrant spending so much money on him. Maybe they take his age and injury history into it as well.

I'd love to keep him but I also think making him the highest paid Guard in the NFL would potentially handicap us when it comes to paying guys on the DL as well as McLaurin.

Thank you..this I can understand and get behind 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Who knows what’s going on or not going on behind the scenes, but reports are he’s been offered a sizable contract. It appears they were/are willing to spend money on him, but not meeting the asking price of Scherff. Maybe a serious offer wasn’t made in regards to guarantees and length of deal though. 

My football knowledge hits a ceiling when discussing interior lineman, but I’m always on board with keeping elite talent. Injuries and age don’t worry me as much as some, due to lineman having a much different shelf life than other positions, especially interior guys… Scherff is a borderline freak talent at the G spot, which helps the aging process. Also, none of his injuries have been lower leg injuries which would worry me the most, though not as much these days with medical advances. 

Are there any in here that have a spectrum of knowledge on guards in the league and how the elite ones impact games? Do some have bigger impacts depending on schemes than others? In a Turner offense does Scherff get to maximize his value? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Who knows what’s going on or not going on behind the scenes, but reports are he’s been offered a sizable contract. It appears they were/are willing to spend money on him, but not meeting the asking price of Scherff. Maybe a serious offer wasn’t made in regards to guarantees and length of deal though. 

My football knowledge hits a ceiling when discussing interior lineman, but I’m always on board with keeping elite talent. Injuries and age don’t worry me as much as some, due to lineman having a much different shelf life than other positions, especially interior guys… Scherff is a borderline freak talent at the G spot, which helps the aging process. Also, none of his injuries have been lower leg injuries which would worry me the most, though not as much these days with medical advances. 

Are there any in here that have a spectrum of knowledge on guards in the league and how the elite ones impact games? Do some have bigger impacts depending on schemes than others? In a Turner offense does Scherff get to maximize his value? 

I subscribe to the the O-line as a whole not being about individual talent.  Rather the "sum-of-the-parts" theory.  Great individual talent does make it easier for the guys next to you, it simplifies assignments, and might provide help on odd plays when you weren't expecting it.  But one weaklink on an O-line will torpedo it.  Quality defensive personnel and coaching will attack that endlessly.

We had some offensive lines with elite talent like Trent Williams & Brandon Scherff.   But those lines were never great, just good...or sometimes meh.  If you have Chris Chester at RG, or Shawn Lauvao at LG, or a rotating cast of misfits at C (Josh LeRibeus or Casey Rabach), then it doesn't matter if you've got elite talent somewhere on the line.  A defense will find ways to make it awkward for the weaklink, and that will win the war if not the battle that snap.

I think competence across the line is paramount.  I think 5 above average guys is better than 2 great guys and 3 average guys.  But I also think if your o-line is in a rebuild, then retaining the elite talent while bringing on new guys is good.  I do not think our o-line is in a rebuild.  Chase Roullier is a rock, he's not spectacular, but he's good.  Between our bevy of other IOL guys (Schweitzer, Charles, Flowers), and our OOL (outside o-line) guys (Leno, Lucas, Cosmi) our o-line is shaping up...for "sum-of-the-parts" theory to be in the top half of the league.  We don't need Scherff for competence.

That said...if our o-line is projected for competence without Scherff, and the return on value for trading Scherff is a 4th/5th rounder (based on past guys fitting his profile), then putting Scherff on a competent o-line will still improve the overall play far more than a Day 3 pick.  What about the cap savings from releasing him? Well is the 18 million now (and ensuing rollover) worth a competent o-line without 1 elite talent?  Or is, for 1 year while we have Fitzpatrick, a roll-of-the-dice with him plus a competent o-line + Scherff worth an 18 million experiment?

Honestly.  I can't say.

The coaches/FO, seem to think that the 18 million dollar o-line experiment while we have Fitzpatrick (and our defense) is worth it.

Can I refute that?  I can't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1