Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Curtis Samuel was at practice today but without pads. Why do I feel like he’s not going to play any games for us 😂

buuut then Ron says he has high optimism that he’ll be ready week 1, so...

We should probably just pretend like his isn't on the team until he catches his first pass. Hopefully Dyami Brown can fill the void until then.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We need help at LB.  If RR is satisfied with what we have....you fill in the blank.  

I honestly don't care enough about who plays 20% of snaps for the 4-3, to give up draft capital. I don't want to give up draft capital for a decent backup either.

We've got 3 good safeties.  Why not figure out how to get them all onto the field instead of a meh linebacker some other team is happy to part with for draft picks.

Davis needs playing time to develop.  Holcomb deserves playing time.  Bostic, imo, doesn't but upgrading from him for a minority of snaps seems not worth it value wise.  Even if we did that, I'd still prefer we figure out how to get our 3 safeties on the field at the same time.

40 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I have a hard time seeing this being true.

If that were the case then Scherff would already have been signed. WFT reportedly offered him a contract that would have made him the highest paid Guard in the NFL and it was turned down, I'm guessing because there either wasn't enough guaranteed money or the length wasn't long enough.

It sounds to me like he's looking to get a gigantic payday from whoever will give it to him and he's willing to take the risk of playing this year if it means he can maximize his contract as a FA next year. Given his injury history I think that could be a pretty big gamble, but that's his call.

I can't completely blame him, because he's a 30 year old Guard who probably only has one more big contract in his career so he might as well get the most he can out of it.

I tend to agree, though as you point out regarding guaranteed money and length of contract, ‘highest paid’ does not necessarily mean ‘best contract’ (for the player).  Depends in large part what the player wants (and, obviously, what the FO wants).  FO could have offered a significant yearly salary, but in a contract they could get out of after year 2 or 3.  Or Scherff could be wanting the possibility of signing another contract at age 33, but the proffered contract was through age 34 or 35.  Or either camp wanted to see how the market moved (and salary cap changed) before changing their offer/demand.  Who knows.  

Point being, there may still be ample wiggle room - salary, guaranteed money, how the guaranteed money is allocated, market supply/demand and length of contract.  Going to be interesting to see it all play out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Just saw that Jimmy Moreland is on injured reserve so we still have him.  How many games does he have to be out before he is eligible to return to play in games?

He did not make the original 53 so he is out for the year. 

Forrest is eligible after three weeks because he made the roster, then was place one IR when Mayo was resigned. 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

We need help at LB.  If RR is satisfied with what we have....you fill in the blank.  

Th base defense is going to be a 4-2 so there is no issue. 

Bostic and Hudson are good backups, and Mayo is a ST demon. 

Collins/Curl/McCain on the field at the same time is better than any LB that can be added. 

6 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

He did not make the original 53 so he is out for the year. 

Forrest is eligible after three weeks because he made the roster, then was place one IR when Mayo was resigned. 

Th base defense is going to be a 4-2 so there is no issue. 

Bostic and Hudson are good backups, and Mayo is a ST demon. 

Collins/Curl/McCain on the field at the same time is better than any LB that can be added. 

It feels like all of our S/LB are hybrid players. I don't know if that's what they were going for but doesn't hurt.

Did Samuel tear his groin straight off the bone, and start rehabbing with icy hot and some Robitussin?

I don't think I've heard of a groin injury, without surgery, that led to 6 months of inactivity. The injury is obviously worse than Ronald has let on.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Did Samuel tear his groin straight off the bone, and start rehabbing with icy hot and some Robitussin?

I don't think I've heard of a groin injury, without surgery, that led to 6 months of inactivity. The injury is obviously worse than Ronald has let on.

I would wait until "Game Week" before officially worrying.

Right now, I would call this No Man's Land. It's not camp, nor preseason, nor Game Week.

19 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Groin injuries for a wide receiver are the absolute worst. It's at the end of the day Ron just being cautious which is a-okay with me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, UK Skins said:

That very same article calls him a "stand-out special teams player" but it's okay I found the reference. "Tress Way says he's been on teams where they gameplan around David Mayo on special teams. He says he's glad to have him this year."

Good article in NBC sports about Apke that pretty much says the same thing.  Special teams is such an important part of the game!  I heard a college coach talk about the punt team in this manner.  How many plays on offense can earn you 35 + yards of field position?  With Way punting, that's even higher. 

Now, imagine how it could work out if the punt return team can produce.  Trying to sustain 80 yard drives is very hard in the NFL.  If the offense only has to go 60 or less you have a much higher percentage of scoring.  Even if it's just putting 3 on the board, that keeps pressure on the other team. 

I'm really excited to see how well the Special Teams contributes this year.  In the early Gibbs years, it was always a big factor.  Nice to see that this staff gets it.  You have to coach up every player and every facet of the game.  Leave nothing to chance.  

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'm really starting to get the feeling this entire season is going to be Samuel constantly being in and out of the line-up with the groin problem. It's going to be maddeningly frustrating and it makes me wonder if that's a reason behind Milne and Carter making the team.

I don’t think there’s any reason to think this until we see him go backwards in his recovery or tweak it again. It could happen, but there’s no reason to assume the above right now. Rivera is being extra careful because of what a large role they have in mind for their pricey new FA, and he’s already comfortable with him as a player and in this offense given their past together, so it created a rare situation where he could be obnoxiously cautious with his new/old toy without setting back his adjustment to the offense. Now building chemistry with Fitz is another issue entirely, and he’s behind on that, but it’s more important that he’s healthy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Teams have to gameplan around Tress Way too, remember ?

I mean, come on. They can't possibly stop ALL of our Special Teams standouts.

You can double cover Apke, and maybe double on Mayo, and double the Cheese-man, but who can stop Tress Way ?

Bruuhhh.  Tress Way is our secret weapon. He CANNOT be stopped.  If we every find out how good he is at QB then move over Tom Brady.  Someone actually figured this out and won the world championship in Madden with Tress Way at QB..... just sayin

• Like 1
  • Haha 2