Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington John Bates TE Boise State

PCS

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I keyed in on him most of the game and he played awesome. Really solid in the blocking and I had a suspicion they'd start throwing to him in the second half. Came up clutch 2 weeks in a row. Really happy with the pick, especially since he outplayed Tremble yesterday. 

Yeah, me too. He's an aggressive blocker and can catch the ball, although he does look a little awkward once he's caught it. I also noticed that Reyes got a lot more involved, and as he starts playing more, we start winning, coincidence? I think not 🙂.

Reyes' snap counts:

Opp     Score   Off   Def   ST
  NOR   L 22-33   0   0   4
  KAN   L 13-31   0   0   10
  GNB   L 10-24   0   0   6
  DEN   L 10-17   0   0   11
  TAM   W 29-19   4   0   12
  CAR   W 27-21   17   0

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

1) You didn't say anything that negates my post. The video didn't, either (I think it actually backs up my description lol)

2) He didn't block him "deep into the end zone"...end zone is 10 yards deep...he blocked his guy 1 yard into it.

3) When Heinicke throws the ball there was no one to set a pick against...Bates didn't get in the way of Carter's man and the guy he was engaged with moved off him to go over to Carter (he got there too late)

4) I never said Bates' blocking/pick didn't help on the TD...I said describing it as "bullying/blocking" his guy "deep into the end zone" sounds more like offensive pass interference.

Ok

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He's a solid blocker and has good hands but basically no athletic ability or post catch wiggle.

Maybe not post-catch, but I'm seeing a lot of athleticism while making the catch.

With contested throws, or poorly thrown balls thrown behind him or too high, etc, he is very athletic and agile in his leaping, twisting, scooping, stretching etc.

May be missing some traits in order to be elite, or maybe not, but I see a very valuable talent when I look at what he did in college.

A keeper, and would make a great tandem to a healthy Thomas.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He's a solid blocker and has good hands but basically no athletic ability or post catch wiggle. Good #2/blocking TE. That catch he had on Heinicke's crazy 4th down throw was awesome though.

I don't know about this...I recall one of the reasons he was drafted was that he was very athletic and a special teams ace? I remember RR saying how they targeted him and were glad to get him. 

Go to 5:23 and you'll see why I'm so into Bates.

at 6:12 he shows great awareness of the 1rst down and gets enough separation, but I'll take the TD

7:00 is a fun block to spring Gibson. Just before that they ran away from the Bates block, which shows how much they were keying on him in the run game

7:15 he sets up the Carter TD

7:52 Gibson just waits for him to grade the road

8:19 watch him just toss the defender and go get wide open down field.

10:22 something you need from a TE is to bail you out on blown 4rth down plays and look at the big man come back with those soft hands.

There is a ton of room for him to grow as a pass catcher, but he blocks like a vet. There is no way this kids playing time doesn't increase a lot, even when Thomas comes back.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 9:30 AM, Warhead36 said:

He's a solid blocker and has good hands but basically no athletic ability or post catch wiggle. Good #2/blocking TE. That catch he had on Heinicke's crazy 4th down throw was awesome though.

If I recall correctly, one of the things RR raved about with Bates was how good of an athlete he is and that he'd be a beast on special teams while growing into a pro TE?

I'm crazy pumped for this guy. Big breakout incoming. Just a reminder, i took this guy in our mock draft 😎

But in addition, I'm really hopeful they take the kid gloves off Reyes this year. I wanna see him get a piece of the offense on a regular basis 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Old article on the 2021 Senior Bowl but it seems even more relevant now with the addition of Wentz aka "a te's best friend" to our roster.

The paragraph below that is emboldened favorably compares Bates to a young Ertz.

We can only hope they develop comparable 3rd down and goal line chemistry together. 

Most Impressive 

Receiver | TE John Bates | Boise State

The most unlikely Bates could be the most valuable receiver at the 2021 Senior Bowl as a tight end. At 6-foot-6 and 259 pounds, the Oregon native demonstrated that he’s an impressive athlete with loads of talent. 

As a track star in high school, Bates competed in hurdles, the long jump, the triple jump, and the javelin. As he competed in the Mountain West Conference, the redshirt senior’s numbers might not jump off the page: 23 games with 47 receptions for 579 yards, and two touchdowns, averaging 12.3 yards per reception. 

But Bates' athleticism and abilities landed him on the John Mackey Award Watch List twice, in addition to All-Mountain West honorable mention honors. 

Bates had scouts and analysts audibly ‘oohing’ and ‘awing’ in every single practice with his impressive catches, and route-running ability. With shades of Tampa Bay's Cameron Brate and Philadelphia's Zach Ertz to his game, Bates was a dynamic red-zone monster the entire week. 

Bates routinely bailed out his QBs on poor throws, lifting the offense out of what should have been incompletions or interceptions. He uses his explosive tree-trunks of legs to jump into the air and pull down contested and 50/50 balls in mid-air. 

The former long jumper also used his length and reach to hurl himself into the end zone, scoring multiple touchdowns in team drills. With excellent hands, and the willingness to fight through a contact there’s little doubt that Bates will absolutely have an opportunity to prove his worth in the NFL. 

Again, it's exceedingly early to project which round prospects will be selected but if you had to pin me down with a draft projection, I’d argue that Bates’ performance elevated him to the middle rounds of the draft.

• Like 6

Really happy with Bates' development last year.  Looks to have a bright future... 

FWIW my son who plays hockey for BSU has a few friends on the football team and had hung out in groups with Bates a few times... said he was a really good dude and humble.  Im sure that means nothing to most people but its something.  He also told me that the QB who I won't name was one of the biggest tools he had ever met.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 2:06 PM, Idaho fan said:

Really happy with Bates' development last year.  Looks to have a bright future... 

FWIW my son who plays hockey for BSU has a few friends on the football team and had hung out in groups with Bates a few times... said he was a really good dude and humble.  Im sure that means nothing to most people but its something.  He also told me that the QB who I won't name was one of the biggest tools he had ever met.

I already knew Zack Wilson was a tool. 

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2022 at 12:40 AM, CommanderInTheRye said:

Old article on the 2021 Senior Bowl but it seems even more relevant now with the addition of Wentz aka "a te's best friend" to our roster.

The paragraph below that is emboldened favorably compares Bates to a young Ertz.

We can only hope they develop comparable 3rd down and goal line chemistry together. 

Most Impressive 

Receiver | TE John Bates | Boise State

As a track star in high school, Bates competed in hurdles, the long jump, the triple jump, and the javelin. As he competed in the Mountain West Conference, 

I didn't realize he had such an impressive track background....especially when people continue to talk about him being a "lumbering" type of runner. Excited to see what he does year 2.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

I didn't realize he had such an impressive track background....especially when people continue to talk about him being a "lumbering" type of runner. Excited to see what he does year 2.

People are dumb. He had a similar combine to Kittle. Tiny bit slower, but bigger and the dudes a machine blocking. He bailed out Heinicke so many times last year.

I think Bates is a major sleeper in our passing game. Wentz loves his TEs, too. Big John might be the only guy happier than Terry about getting him.

• Like 2