Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington John Bates TE Boise State

PCS

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Jordan is going to be so great, why was he drafted in the 5th and not the 2nd or 3rd where he was mocked?

Lots of stars have been drafted way later than they should have been and I'm not going to insult your intelligence by naming them off but all I can say is that he is way more talented and has way more upside. I could be wrong and will admit it if I am. Also hope Bates makes me eat crow every week!

Edited by redskinsrmylyfe
  • Like 2

Rivera just on now.  As for Bates.  He reminds him in some ways of Logan Thomas.  He is a good athlete.  He plays faster than his 40 time.  Physical blocker. He has a good catch radius.  And has high potential in contested catches.

To combine what he said today and in another interview, he thinks Bates potential in the pros is greater than college.  At his school, the TE wasn't a major target in the passing game.  Bates did well with the opportuities he had but there weren't many opportunities. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 5/1/2021 at 1:06 PM, KDawg said:

Hopefully Bates goes from Jack of all trades kind of guy to more of a Master.

The good news is that there’s not a great deal of difference between a jack and a master.  I suggest a lot of six minute workouts to achieve greatness. 

• Haha 2

I like the bates pick. If you told me going into the draft the skins were going to use their 4th rounder for a TE who was a plus blocker, has good hands, and is a high character guy who works hard, I would have said absolutely, sign me up!

A #2 TE is very important in today's game, and our cupboard was bare, so he fills a big need.   And it's not like we will be asking him to do too much: handle your blocking assignments, and move the chains every now and then.  I find it hard to believe he will "bust" and not be able to fill that role.  Well worth the 4th rounder imo.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

And it's not like we will be asking him to do too much: handle your blocking assignments, and move the chains every now and then

On top of that, dude has logged stupid ST reps in college. He is going to be a core member of our unit for years.

Every team needs guys like this dude. In two years he might just be Niles Paul.

• Like 4

It appears that some/most of the internet talent evaluators didn’t bother to watch the Senior Bowl practices/videos. This guy seems to have had a really good week against guys that were drafted and will be given a shot to play in the league (not scrubs basically). TE does seem to be a really difficult position to figure out though. Lots of good player taken later in drafts. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Guys he’s a 2nd TE. His targets will be manufactured, very rarely a primary target. He doesn’t need to be elite at separation. His ability to block (and catch) will give our formations credibility to hide our intentions to run/pass. 

because of that, he’ll be targeted on PA routes and check downs for the most part. 

and if he gets 1-2 catches per game, he’s doubled the production of our entire group last season.

if 80 year old Jason Witten can get out of the booth and run PA drag routes and squat in zones for 4 yard curls, Bates will be fine.

“If 80 year old Jason Whitten can get out of the booth and run PA routes and squat in zones for 4 yard curls...”

Wait, what? There’s 80 year old players making comebacks?

There’s hope for me reviving my football careeer after all.

Gonna have a zoom conversation with Coach Rivera butter him up with a few good stories, let him know how hungry I am and snag me a mini-camp invite!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

“If 80 year old Jason Whitten can get out of the booth and run PA routes and squat in zones for 4 yard curls...”

Wait, what? There’s 80 year old players making comebacks?

There’s hope for me reviving my football careeer after all.

Gonna have a zoom conversation with Coach Rivera butter him up with a few good stories, let him know how hungry I am and snag me a mini-camp invite!

I almost went with 60, changed to 80 at the last minute to see if you’d run with it 😄

glad you played along haha

• Haha 3

What team is gonna have a better special teams unit then us? Bates, Carter, Holland and of course......The CheeseMan.

It's almost as if our staff drafts guys in some ways because of their special teams potential alone figuring they can coach them up in their main positions? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

It's almost as if our staff drafts guys in some ways because of their special teams potential alone figuring they can coach them up in their main positions? 

And then it goes horribly wrong and the guy drafted to be an impact S. Teams player never gets to even sniff that phase of football ala Terry.

Or is that something going horribly right.... gotta find a mad scientist for context.

anyways, yes we target high profile S.T. guys

9 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

And then it goes horribly wrong and the guy drafted to be an impact S. Teams player never gets to even sniff that phase of football ala Terry.

Or is that something going horribly right.... gotta find a mad scientist for context.

anyways, yes we target high profile S.T. guys

"Core" guys. This team had a rotten foundation. Even our depth is better than just 2 years ago.

I wanted to share some good examples of what JB does well and how he showed some new things in the senior bowl. Apologies if these have been posted already here.

His blocking prowess. Dude is a fighter.

Has decent play speed. At least decent enough to threaten the middle and slip behind LB's on play action.

Hands already so much better than Sprinkly

QB Friendly Catch Radius

He hit the endzone more times in the senior bowl and practice than he did his whole CFB career it seems.

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I strarted rewatching Bates last night.   For a big dude he seems to have good agility when you watch him leap for balls.   Doesn't surprise me his RAS scores are really good on that front.  In other words, he's not a lumbering big TE. 

I watched this below last night.  Ertz giving Bates praise but also recommendations as to how to improve.  

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

His favorite value pick of our draft. 

That's surprising.  I like the bates pick as I explained above, but I wouldn't say that's our best value pick.  I'd say cosmi or brown by a healthy margin.  

11 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

That's surprising.  I like the bates pick as I explained above, but I wouldn't say that's our best value pick.  I'd say cosmi or brown by a healthy margin.  

Yeah, I don't think I agree and he's not the gospel, but he might know a thing or two about a tight end.  All the better for us if he's right.

https://thekevinsheehanshow.com/2021/05/05/cooleys-draft-recap-the-price-for-rodgers/ 33:14 for the take on Bates, if anyone wants to hear it...

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bifflog said:

Cooley likes him a lot, hopefully that bodes well.  His favorite value pick of our draft.  Absolutely trashes the Sprinkle comp.

The Sprinkle comp was awful from the first moment it was uttered. 

Bates has remarkable hands, for one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, redskinsrmylyfe said:

Lol just had too! KDawg I respect your opinion but can't wait to see how this all plays out.

Screenshot_20210503-172528~4.png

I agree with that in the sense that he attempts to block. So he’s competitive. 

He is not a good blocker versus defensive ends. Slot corners give him a hard time. 

We’ll see. I like the guy. I actually wanted to draft him. But I see the fit with Bates better than Jordan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Jordan is more of an athletic pass catcher type. We have that in Thomas(if you recall he made some quite acrobatic catches last season). We needed an actual blocker that has underrated pass catching skills.

Always feel like you can sign a blocking tight end but in the draft you go for potential starters especially in the first four rounds. I will say that I was wrong for saying Bates was a bum. My reaction was more based off wanting Jordan than Bates. Just like people see Bates as a underrated receiver. I truly believe Brevin Jordan is a underrated blocker.

2 hours ago, redskinsrmylyfe said:

Lol just had too! KDawg I respect your opinion but can't wait to see how this all plays out.

Screenshot_20210503-172528~4.png

So Brevin was a “competitive blocker”, very nice.

Reminds me of my all too brief golden glove boxing days.

I may not have won much but I was always  very competitive and scrappy right up until the moment I hit the canvas.

The only victory I had occurred in my third fight when my opponent slipped on a glob of my blood hit his head and accidentally knocked himself out. 

After my 8th loss, when I finally came to, my trainer decided that despite the great competitiveness that I displayed in the ring a career as a pugilist simply wasn’t in my future.

“I could’a been a contender.” 

/p

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
Edited to add /p for clarities sake.
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Reminds me of my all too brief golden glove boxing days.

Interesting post and insight. My father in law was quite the accomplished Golden Glove fighter back in the day. Did you fight in the DC metro area?

• Thanks 1