Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington John Bates TE Boise State

PCS

57 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Interesting post and insight. My father in law was quite the accomplished Golden Glove fighter back in the day. Did you fight in the DC metro area?

Oh my!

That post was totally in jest. I was going for laughs not sincerity.

I thought that was obvious by the absurdity of what I said. I should have left a /p at the end— my bad.

It was a parody that was intended to illustrate the fact that being competitive at something doesn’t neccesarily mean one is proficient at it. 

Btw it wouldn’t have taken me 8 knockouts (with my only victory coming on a ludicrously cartoonish fluke that would have embarrassed Wile E Coyote) to realize I needed to find another hobby. lol

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched some more Bates, this pick is growing on me.  I did watch him before the draft but did so quickly.  I rated him a round lower than where we took him in my TE rankings that I posted before the draft.

Like I said the other day, he has really good agility for a big dude.   For a 6 '5, 250 pound TE, he looks really natural as a pass catcher.    At that size you would think he would look more lumbering like an old school TE.  He is IMO lumbering though with the ball in his hands.  So his pedestrian YAC numbers I think can carry into the pros.    

But he strikes me as a dude who can potentially catch his share of balls and provide above average blocking.  

If you watch the Zach Ertz video which I posted he seems clearly impressed by the dude. 

I wanted Brevin Jordan, too.  But seeing him drop in the draft and reading about he wasn't that hot of an interview makes me pause.    This pick might end up looking good.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I'll add more to the Bates pile.  Cooley knows the position obviously.  And if anything he tends to be cynical about acquistions over the years.

While Ron Rivera and Martin Mayhew have both already touted Bates' work along the O-line, Cooley sees him as a dynamic threat just waiting to be used more on throws.

"The thing that I love is he is a natural athlete," Cooley said. "Like, you watch him at Boise State open his body up and make those go-up-and-get-it type catches... He's a natural, down the field threat, more than people actually think."

In fact, Cooley was reminded of someone in particular after he dove into Bates' tape.

"His college film kind of reminds me of my college film," he said. "He's not a 'pass catcher' because he ran a 4.8 at Pro Day. You know who else ran a 4.8? I did."

Cooley landed in Washington as a third-round choice, which isn't too different from Bates, who was taken in the fourth round in this year's draft. Cooley went on to log 429 catches and 33 touchdowns with the organization across 117 outings, though, meaning Bates needs to thrive for close to a decade to match the old fan favorite.

It is notable, however, just how glowing that fan favorite is in his praise of Bates. Maybe he does have a shot at earning that "steal" label.

"He made a ton of big plays at Boise," Cooley said. "All around, seems like a true tight end. This guy's going to play a lot this year."

• Like 8

9 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

So Brevin was a “competitive blocker”, very nice.

Reminds me of my all too brief golden glove boxing days.

I may not have won much but I was always  very competitive and scrappy right up until the moment I hit the canvas.

The only victory I had occurred in my third fight when my opponent slipped on a glob of my blood hit his head and accidentally knocked himself out. 

After my 8th loss, when I finally came to, my trainer decided that despite the great competitiveness that I displayed in the ring a career as a pugilist simply wasn’t in my future.

“I could’a been a contender.” 

/p

This explains soooooo much.

• Haha 1

Battle of the 4th round underdog vs the 7th round super steal at the Senior Bowl.

John “M” Bates covered like a “Jimmy hat” by Sacka-Toney (who is fast becoming my late round out of nowhere man crush)...

Afterwords Sacka-Toney could be heard yelling in the direction of an obviously pleased Rivera and Mayhew, “You like that!!” /p

For the record I predict both players make the team and produce this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watched some more Bates, this pick is growing on me.  I did watch him before the draft but did so quickly.  I rated him a round lower than where we took him in my TE rankings that I posted before the draft.

Our takes on Bates were very similar. I was upset when they didn't jump at the opportunity to grab Tremble in the 3rd round. I still feel that way but Bates is growing on me as well as I read and see things about him. I think @TKmay need to do the TE analysis from now on. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I kinda wish we all had a man crush on this guy before the draft.

I wish I did too.  But I knew who he was, watched him a little.    I ranked my favorite TEs in order and he made the list.  But yeah I had a bunch I liked better.  But that's OK.  I trust Cooley's film evaluation a lot and that goes double for a TE.  So since I was already warming up to Bates -- then Cooley saying he reminds him of himself as a player -- that all shoots up Bates to me even higher as for my level of excitement about him. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wish I did too.  But I knew who he was, watched him a little.    I ranked my favorite TEs in order and he made the list.  But yeah I had a bunch I liked better.  But that's OK.  I trust Cooley's film evaluation a lot and that goes double for a TE.  So since I was already warming up to Bates -- then Cooley saying he reminds him of himself as a player -- that all shoots up Bates to me even higher as for my level of excitement about him. 

I used to be with you on Cooley, but he seems to be putting less and less time and work with his evaluations. Sounding more and more like the analyst he chooses to make fun of. Just a bunch general information that is trending towards things I can pick up from watching a video clip. Sheehan appears to feel the need to add content and is forced to help him out some. 

With all that said, the Sheehan podcast remains my only go to for all things Washington and here of course. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I used to be with you on Cooley, but he seems to be putting less and less time and work with his evaluations. Sounding more and more like the analyst he chooses to make fun of. Just a bunch general information that is trending towards things I can pick up from watching a video clip. Sheehan appears to feel the need to add content and is forced to help him out some. 

With all that said, the Sheehan podcast remains my only go to for all things Washington and here of course. 

I complained that Cooley backed Sheehan on Darnold even though he admitted he hasn't really watched him as to studying him.  But he's honest as heck and will say it one way or another.  He went in great detail about the QBs in this draft, he clearly watched them closely.  As for Bates, I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I'd be surprised if he just watched the highlights.  Cooley has suggested highlights alone are useless.    But I'll eventually listen to the podcast.  I trust Cooley in particular on TEs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

The man is becoming so famous that he  even has a latino nickname “El Maestro del Bates”...

The last two clips, Bullock selected to criticize Bates’ run blocking and in both, against a quality team like Washington. It’s not just Bates’ lunging but that he keeps his head too low to even recover.

The first video, second to last, Bates makes good contact with the DE to the inside, the H-back fans wide and makes good contact with the OLB but my thoughts are the play was never intended to run left. If so the RB should've made a more direct route to the gap between the TE and H-back. But Bates takes the inside block where one would think he needed to go outside and seal the DE to the inside. Looking at what the right side of the line is doing is what causes me to think the RB wasn’t patient enough to cut back because the clear lane is over there. The LG blocks the DT but not very well. The center chips the left DE pretty well and heads up to the WLB but he’s not there because the RB incorrectly burst to the left and the WLB is sprinting that way. The RB initially sees the LG got pinched and bursts left thinking he needs to try and make something but the hole does  eventually open to the right. So, it’s not Bates’ fault that the defender is able to shed him because his posture was to stay inside of him. I could be wrong though.
The last video has the offense in the same set, strong side left with an H-back but the RB is on the QB’s right. Similarly, Bates makes good initial contact inside of the DE and similarly Bates lunges and gets pushed aside. Fortunately it’s a blick good enough that the defender is never involved in the tackle as the runner goes up the right side gap for what looks like a decent 3-yard gain from the goal line. 
My biggest criticism in both clips is not the lunging but that both times Bates essentially quits on the play. Watch the H-back sustain his block in the first clip but after Bates recovers his balance he just stays there yet the play is still live and away from him. What if the RB fumbles the ball? Where’s Bates?  Only the H-back is out there and a swarm if Husky defenders. Similarly, and more egregious, in the second clip, Bates just stands there  and checks his wristband while the scrum  is still pushing forward!  I get that Bullock selected only two clips to make a point and there’s probably dozens of clips that show adequate run blocking but now I have a prejudice and will be looking at other games to see if Bates flat out gives up on the play.  I am also leaning towards the belief that Bates was drafted not because of his inline blocking as it looks rather pedestrian but for his catching ability, although there’s not a lot of that either. 

Edited by JaxJoe

It looks like El Maestro Bates is the type of player that at first glance evaluators have a “ho hum, meh” reaction to.

However, after having time to analyze and review his tape, with respect to WFT needs and te availability in the 4th round, it grows on them.

That’s mature precision scouting on our part.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Worth listening to Keim’s latest podcast with Paulsen who goes into detail on Bates and is really high on him. Specifically says a guy like Brevin Jordan’s skill set would have been redundant but Bates offers a rare run blocking ability combined with natural athleticism and pass catching ability despite not having elite measurable “athletic traits.” Was a very intelligent and nuanced breakdown from a guy who clearly knows his stuff. 

Also talked about Sammis Reyes who apparently he has been training with. Mostly just marveling at what an athletic specimen he is. Says something like he’s one of the top 5 most unbelievable athletes he’s been around in his career. 

• Thanks 3

One reporter during practice remarked that fourth-round rookie John Bates had the best hands of any receiver on hand. We're not going to be that effusive in praise but the tape at Boise State backs up Bates having soft hands.

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/wfts-day-1-rookie-mini-camp-observations-brown-and-bates-catch-everything

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

He will be a good player in playaction run schemes. Simple short routes, good blocking and no dropping the ball. 

He will be a solid player for a long time, you need a TE like him when your #1 is a guy like logan thomas 

I can see him hitting some seam routes as well, mainly because our receivers will draw coverage towards them, but of course that’s mostly Logan’s wheelhouse.

• Like 1