Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington John Bates TE Boise State

PCS

On 5/15/2021 at 7:45 PM, Warhead36 said:

Are we finally gonna have a big slow white TE that somehow always gets inexplicably wide open? Itd be nice to have one after years of being destroyed by them.

Dude, when he’s burly & slow, white, has soft hands & a token white guy name like John Bates, Greg Olsen, Jason Witten, Chris Cooley, Dallas Clark, Heath Miller, Zach Ertz, etc. you just know he’s gonna be legit!

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, -JB- said:

Dude, when he’s burly & slow, white, has soft hands & a token white guy name like John Bates, Greg Olsen, Jason Witten, Chris Cooley, Dallas Clark, Heath Miller, Zach Ertz, etc. you just know he’s gonna be legit!

"Cooley" isn't exactly a TWG name....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, -JB- said:

Zach Ertz had sneaky athleticism though.....

🧐

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I love the way the kid blocks. He's a physical, hard-nosed player. On the DeAndre Carter touchdown, Bates bullied his man deep into the end zone, and that cleared the space for Carter to cut back and make the catch. It was a great play design, and Bates played his role perfectly.

• Like 5

Coming in, he was considered more of a blocker, than a receiver.  Mostly, his blocking is as we expected.  Some on here spoke about how we would be surprised with his hands.  I think they were right.  I look forward to John continuing to help the team, but also his development in years 2 and 3.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

Coming in, he was considered more of a blocker, than a receiver.  Mostly, his blocking is as we expected.  Some on here spoke about how we would be surprised with his hands.  I think they were right.  I look forward to John continuing to help the team, but also his development in years 2 and 3.

Right now, he's a padawan. I look forward to the day we can finally call him Master Bates. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dswerdlw said:

I love the way the kid blocks. He's a physical, hard-nosed player. On the DeAndre Carter touchdown, Bates bullied his man deep into the end zone, and that cleared the space for Carter to cut back and make the catch. It was a great play design, and Bates played his role perfectly.

Why does that sound more like offensive pass interference than good blocking? lol...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It was a legal pick and then when the ball was thrown he blocked him.

He said he "bullied his man deep into the end zone"...deep into the end zone is past the 5-yards you're allowed contact. And he didn't actually block anyone once the pass was thrown--when he turned his head to see Heinicke passing his guy peeled off him (actually I think he turned his head at first to see if Carter was pivoting yet).

40 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

He said he "bullied his man deep into the end zone"...deep into the end zone is past the 5-yards you're allowed contact. And he didn't actually block anyone once the pass was thrown--when he turned his head to see Heinicke passing his guy peeled off him (actually I think he turned his head at first to see if Carter was pivoting yet).

So he wasn't blocking anyone?

44 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

About 7:13. Blocks his guy from the LoS into the endzone. He releases right before the ball is thrown and sets a pick. If he's not pushing him into the endzone off the line, he's in position to make a play on the ball. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

About 7:13. Blocks his guy from the LoS into the endzone. He releases right before the ball is thrown and sets a pick. If he's not pushing him into the endzone off the line, he's in position to make a play on the ball. 

1) You didn't say anything that negates my post. The video didn't, either (I think it actually backs up my description lol)

2) He didn't block him "deep into the end zone"...end zone is 10 yards deep...he blocked his guy 1 yard into it.

3) When Heinicke throws the ball there was no one to set a pick against...Bates didn't get in the way of Carter's man and the guy he was engaged with moved off him to go over to Carter (he got there too late)

4) I never said Bates' blocking/pick didn't help on the TD...I said describing it as "bullying/blocking" his guy "deep into the end zone" sounds more like offensive pass interference.