Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington John Bates TE Boise State

PCS

1 hour ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Welcome John Bates

Folks will swear blind by undrafted Thaddeus Moss but then throw shots at 4th round John Bates ... ridiculous

No it’s not the flashiest pick, but give the guy a chance surely he can’t be any worse than Sprinkle, Moss etc

as a fourth shouldn't he be better though? 

he's one of those types of TE's who can line up at FB so that might be why they're interested in him

Dude has the size profile you want in an in-line TE.

With his build distribution he has the potential to do some things Logan Thomas can not. Coach him up and he can be a great blocker. We can certainly use that.

Pencil him in as TE2 and see what he can do

• Thanks 1

Analysis seems to suggest that Bates is what our coaches hoped Sprinkle would be. A good blocker that provides the QB a reliable check-down option.

Maybe I'm getting old but I remember when draft picks actually looked like adults.

Edited by Darth Tater
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I got to pinch myself to make sure Im awake and not dreaming. This praise is almost getting ridiculous. (But i love it)

Are we actually drafting this well or is the media just giving us the benefit of the doubt because they respect Rivera and the pedigree of our revamped front office?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Dude has the size profile you want in an in-line TE.

With his build distribution he has the potential to do some things Logan Thomas can not. Coach him up and he can be a great blocker. We can certainly use that.

Pencil him in as TE2 and see what he can do

Eww. This is 2021. You need a better TE2 than someone like a Bates if you want to run 12 personnel. Eifert is the first guy I'm calling once the draft is over.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

... there's a good number of posters who should probably wear helmets when they post. 

your point?

07F2FE1B-15C6-4D13-96CF-0C857797C0DE.jpeg

Edited by 09
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, that was honestly the most fun I’ve had watching a train wreck in a while. 

Yeah, that really came together nicely. Overall this is the happiest post draft I've seen this place in a while.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, that really came together nicely. Overall this is the happiest post draft I've seen this place in a while.

Yeah, I’ve posted multiple times looking for the meet up place to burn down the building.  In years past, that would have immediately been answered with a “hell yeah.” This year has been more quiet.

I do think arguing about 6th and 7th round picks is an exercise in futility.  And kindof humerus.  But eh. Whatever. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, carex said:

he's one of those types of TE's who can line up at FB so that might be why they're interested in him

I'm guessing they see him as a guy who's a very good blocker already and has the potential to develop well in the passing game. He's got good hands but he really didn't get a whole lot of targets at Boise State. Not sure whether that has to do with him or with the scheme. I doubt they'd pick him in the 4th round if they didn't have some faith in his ability to develop as an all around TE who can catch as well.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, carex said:

I don't know, maybe we should ask Antonio Gandy-Golden, or Saahdiq Charles, or Bryce Love, or Wes Martin, or Troy Apke, or Samaje Perine, or Montae Nicholson, or Arie Kouandijo, etc etc

I'd bet money that Bates turns out better than every single one of those 4th Rounders over the last 6 years, at least.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, method man said:

Eww. This is 2021. You need a better TE2 than someone like a Bates if you want to run 12 personnel. Eifert is the first guy I'm calling once the draft is over.

They are bringing this guy in for one reason and one reason only. To try and develop him to pave roads.

I don't think Eifert is anywhere near this guys 250lbs. Just by size profile alone a guy like him wont be able to provide what they are clearly looking for in the new guy.

They are not looking for pass catching prowess. This guy will be able to really help on teams and possibly provide us with a player that can relieve Logan of some critical obvious blocking situations.

Its not sexy, but when our FGs stopped getting blocked and Thomas is healthy every week b/c he does not have to throw his body around blocking on goal line runs it will be worth it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, method man said:

Eww. This is 2021. You need a better TE2 than someone like a Bates if you want to run 12 personnel.

Last year, for the season, our TE2 Sprinkle had One reception, for 6 yards.

For the same season total, our TE3 Baugh had One reception, for 2 yards

And our TE4 Hemingway had One Reception, for 10 yards.

Grand Total Yards for all of them combined was : 18 yards.

That "crew" won the division.

I bet my sig that a rookie Bates gets exponentially more than all of them combined

• Like 2

I am reserving judgement.  Having a blocking TE in the game telegraphs heavy run which the D keys on. We can go ahead and run into that brick wall run blitz, or if we end up passing, we are passing with our worst hands TE in the game. On D, wouldn't they want to see the offense passing with their worst hands crew in the game?  We saw that all those times we tried to pass to Sprinkle to open games and it never worked. Jay was fooling himself more than the DC.

That all said, RR clearly thinks he has decent enough hands to warrant a 4th. 

I have been disappointed in our lack of PAP in short yardage over the decades since Gibbs left, which is where Bates hands will shine most.

Edited by RandyHolt

19 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

They are bringing this guy in for one reason and one reason only. To try and develop him to pave roads.

I don't think Eifert is anywhere near this guys 250lbs. Just by size profile alone a guy like him wont be able to provide what they are clearly looking for in the new guy.

They are not looking for pass catching prowess. This guy will be able to really help on teams and possibly provide us with a player that can relieve Logan of some critical obvious blocking situations.

Its not sexy, but when our FGs stopped getting blocked and Thomas is healthy every week b/c he does not have to throw his body around blocking on goal line runs it will be worth it.

I get that but there are plenty of cheap veteran TE3 JAGs out there that can do that for the veteran minimum (Darren Fells being one example). I would've been totally fine with Bates in rd 5 or rd 6 but in rd 4, you have a final shot at some of the higher end talent due to guys getting forgetten about on Day 2.

This guy will contribute for sure more than Love, Martin, etc but that is a low bar for a 4th round pick

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the Dolphins nixed our idea of drafting Hunter Long at 82, given who we expected to be there.  I have no idea if this is true, but given we took Bates in the following round, that is my hypothesis. He was the fallback guy if we didn’t get the guy we really wanted. I like Bates, not flashy but skilled in what we were looking for. 

Miami selected Long w/ the 81st pick.

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 3

On 5/1/2021 at 1:21 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

Looks like a blocking TE, special teams guy with a mean streak and a big-time pro body.  Excellent upgrade from Sprinkle.

On the NFL Network when they talked about this pick the NFL comp was given as Jeremy Sprinkle. And that seemed very disappointing. I hope they're wrong.

20 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

If this is true then they completely screwed up IMO. Drafting a TE to be a pure blocker in the 4th round is lunacy. You can get those guys as UDFAs all over the place and teach them to block. I really really hope that their belief is that he can be a top notch blocker, but that he also has the skill to develop as a good passing threat. He seems to have good hands and while he isn't a master at getting separation, he seems good at boxing guys out with his frame as well as high pointing balls. He didn't get many targets but that could possibly be more about scheme than his ability.

I have to believe there's more to their plan than only bringing him in to be a blocker. That would be silly.

• Like 3