Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Dyami Brown WR, UNC

PCS

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Agree. I think he is a deep threat possession guy. Whereas he will haul the ball in but he isn’t a game breaker speed wise. He’ll make the catch and get what is there and that’s his game. He’ll also catch a few passes underneath as well as a possession type guy. His speed is good enough to get open but otherwise he’s more control.

That's a good way of putting it.  Brown's got really good feel for the game.  That's another thing that jumped out at me.  I like the way he builds on his leverage with subtle shifts to his stem over the course of the route.  He's instinctive about using/creating space.  And he has such a good feel for what to do when that ball is in flight.  Feel for where he needs to be and what position he needs to get into, not just to have the ball drop into his hands, but also if he needs to gear down some and shield that defender from the path with his body.

He's going to add a nice vertical element to the passing offense, and I think that will help Curtis in particular have some breathing room to do his thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here is the mockdraftable page on Dyami Brown so we can contextualize his build and measurables:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dyami-brown

Here is Terry's:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/terry-mclaurin

Looks like Terry is a little bit smaller and thicker, but they have similar strength.  For some reason they don't have Terry's 10 and 20 splits listed, but they are 1.54 and 2.59 respectively, which are very similar to Dyami's 1.57 and 2.61 numbers.  It's not until the full 40 that Terry's speed really separates from Dyami's.

One thing that kind of stands out from looking at Dyami's page is that he has unusually long arms for his height.  That must be part of how he fends off DBs at the catch point.  That should help his release game too.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think McLaurin is the best comparison since Terry ran a 4.3 40. Dude is/was a legit blazer. 

Also, Terry's YAC seems off the chart. Defenses look are scared of him. DBs are either on their heels, or are covering over the top. He has a lot of space around him and I suspect Brown is going to have DBs on him like glue. At least until he proves otherwise, of course.

Edited by RandyHolt

Look forward to Brown polishing the subtle moves he already does well.  Makes the db pause, take a false step or lean and does a great job creating separation with it.  You can tell he loves that aspect of the game.  At this level though, he’ll probably need to sell those moves a touch more.  I hope the staff is open to Samuel in the slot, because I think Brown will be able to step onto the field day one and is a clear upgrade to Sims/Harmon/etc.  I like that setup more than Samuel at Z and Humphries in the slot.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

Also, Terry's YAC seems off the chart. Defenses looks scared of him. DBs are either on their heels, or are covering over the top. He has a lot of space around him and I suspect Brown is going to have DBs on him like glue. At least until he proves otherwise, of course.

Brown won’t bring that same fear/respect level, but with an expanded route tree, I think he’s going to be able to separate with regularity.  He’ll also benefit from 1) not going against team’s number 1’s like Terry has, and 2) having Terry/Samuel/Logan (not to mention our backs) drawing coverage.  I think it’ll be a pretty smooth transition for him.  We’ll see.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He reminds me of McLaurin as much as anyone else

I can see why folks make this comparison as both receivers did well in run support whether it’s a receiver or a RB play to his side. He makes his blocks and holds it until the whistle. He’s not as physical as McLaurin but at least he sustains his blocks. One example is against Va Tech where Dyami Brown sustains his block which allows Michael Carter significant extra yards at about the 5:00 min mark. It’s something that doesn’t make the highlight reel but these little things help set up for much bigger plays. 
Watch from about 3:30 where there’s a series of plays where Dyami is at the left wide out spot and he breaks his route for a 1st down. A couple other times, he breaks his route at the same spot then quickly turns to block the DB on a running play. The run blocking isn’t really impactful to the play but that doesn't matter because the DB has to respect it. Then at 4:00 is the knockout punch. Dyami makes his move at the same place where the DB pauses to the inside, then it’s off to the races. The move isn’t a great one but DB has to honor it. The QB should've thrown a bit quicker when Dyami had better separation but what is impressive is Dyami is able to keep his balance despite the contact in the endzone and make the TD catch. The announcers rightfully praise the TD catch but miss that the success of that play was four or five previous plays that helped set it up. A coach cannot set up a play like that unless his WR sells it with solid effort each snap. I think we drafted a good one!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I see Terry in him.  Terry has better top end speed, but other than that, they are very similar athletes.  Similar strength and thickness for their height, and both benched 18 reps.  Similar verts and broad jumps.  And their 10 yard and 20 yard splits are almost the same.  Similar short stride but maybe Dyami is a little bit more of a short strider.  Similar build up speed, although Terry pulls away from him in the end.  I think they have a similar tough-guy style too where they don't do a lot of dancing after the catch, just kind of pick an angle, lean forward and go.  One worrying similarity I see between them is that their biomechanics can be a little awkward (legs flying up as they adjust for contact/catches and such) and they tend to get hit hard, which makes me think they're going to get nicked up over the course of 17 game seasons.  Really strengthens the case for needing offensive skill talent depth.

The big difference is that Terry's hands are pretty good and reliable, whereas the main knock on Dyami seems to be that his hands were unreliable.

So his hands aren't as reliable as Terry's and he also isn't as fast. Those are key attributes that he's missing lol. I'd also venture to say he isn't nearly as good of a route runner as Terry, I wasn't super impressed with his slant routes and didn't think they were nearly as crisp as Terry's, Terry is the slant-king. Dyami has the vertical route tree down pretty well, but all the inside stuff needs refinement to me. 

I do think he kind of moves like Terry when the ball is snapped, and he has a good feel for where the holes are in a defense like Terry does. There has to be a better comparison out there than Terry McLaurin though. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally an exciting group of WRs and a QB that likes to throw deep.  Looking forward to a fun season.  It would be nice if Brown quickly develops a complete route tree but I'd be happy if the staff lets him go deep every time and slowly coaches him up to be a more complete WR for the subsequent season.    

34 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Brown won’t bring that same fear/respect level, but with an expanded route tree, I think he’s going to be able to separate with regularity.  He’ll also benefit from 1) not going against team’s number 1’s like Terry has, and 2) having Terry/Samuel/Logan (not to mention our backs) drawing coverage.  I think it’ll be a pretty smooth transition for him.  We’ll see.

I envision Samuels causing havok in the slot and Brown getting single coverage (on the entire route tree). This offense could be a problem. Especially since film shows our running backs as extremely viable options out of the back field. Defenses will have to play honest with Fitz or Taylor at QB. They both have a solid ability to maneuver in the pocket and get the ball to the open receiver (Fitz' INT issues is a narrative at this point IMO). I'm sure defenses are going to have to play zone against this offense. Be interesting to see a film breakdown of how Fitz handles zone coverage. I know he struggled against Rex Ryans' a while ago. 

22 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Finally an exciting group of WRs and a QB that likes to throw deep.  Looking forward to a fun season.  It would be nice if Brown quickly develops a complete route tree but I'd be happy if the staff lets him go deep every time and slowly coaches him up to be a more complete WR for the subsequent season.    

I think he'll be fine. He's got good footwork already. Plus he's in good company with McClaurin to learn. The fact that he's a deep threat should cause defenders to play off, enabling him to run the short and intermediate routes.

Edited by joeken24
add
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Brown's got really good feel for the game.  That's another thing that jumped out at me.  I like the way he builds on his leverage with subtle shifts to his stem over the course of the route.

I noticed a subtle shift in my stem while watching his highlights.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Yeah, I'm not buying just because he's a 4.4 guy that means he's Kelvin Harmon mold.  I expect to see him running behind defenses his fair share, considering attention being paid elsewhere.

Not sure what you're trying to say by referencing Kelvin Harmon?  They're not similar prospects.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Not sure what you're trying to say by referencing Kelvin Harmon?  They're not similar prospects.

Just me reacting (maybe while in a bad mood) to some of the feel of the backend of this thread, a lot of "not as fast" and implications that he can't get away from coverage and he'll have to use his long arms to out-body guys and make catches while covered, and that seems crazy to me for 4.4 speed, doesn't seem slow enough to justify that take.

Of course, I haven't watched the film, but I do hope it's not the case, otherwise it's not as good of a pick as it initially seemed.

27 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Just me reacting (maybe while in a bad mood) to some of the feel of the backend of this thread, a lot of "not as fast" and implications that he can't get away from coverage and he'll have to use his long arms to out-body guys and make catches while covered, and that seems crazy to me for 4.4 speed, doesn't seem slow enough to justify that take.

Of course, I haven't watched the film, but I do hope it's not the case, otherwise it's not as good of a pick as it initially seemed.

4.44 is fast but not elite burner level in the NFL. Terry ran a 4.35 which is closer to elite category. The difference isn't huge though and straight line speed is far from the end-all-be-all, especially in the NFL where there are multiple things that can be more important than pure speed. Antonio Brown ran a 4.47, Davante Adams ran a 4.56, Diggs ran a 4.46, OBJ ran a 4.43, Hopkins ran a 4.57. 

I think the only guys where the straight line speed is their main attribute are the crazy 4.2 guys like Tyreek Hill who are just so fast that nobody can catch them once they get going. Even then, the dude still needs to be able to run decent routes; NFL CBs are savvy and can find ways to negate that speed if the guy isn't a good all around receiver. Look at John Ross: ran a 4.22 40 and is basically a bust because he can't really do much else besides run fast. 

When you get the really scary combinations is when you have a 4.3 guy who also has all the other stuff down too so he can kill you with the ability to run all routes well, plus the speed to make you respect him at every level of the field. 

I think Brown's top end speed is fine. He'll just need to refine his route running to continue to be a top WR at the next level...but pretty much all WRs out of college have to do that.

I read he needs to add routes. Is it easy to do so, basically a given he will add them?  I admit I have no idea what route package mid rounders have typically mastered by draft day nor how hard it is.  But I feel its not unusual to see most WR WE draft sit on the sideline for a year or 2 and we never really know what the holdup is.  I usually assume its blocking or better old grizzly vets in front of him that practice perfectly.

5 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I do think he kind of moves like Terry when the ball is snapped, and he has a good feel for where the holes are in a defense like Terry does. There has to be a better comparison out there than Terry McLaurin though. 

Brown is more similar to Stefon Diggs. 

Screenshot 2021-05-05 041644.png

Screenshot 2021-05-05 041728.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think Brown's top end speed is fine. He'll just need to refine his route running to continue to be a top WR at the next level...but pretty much all WRs out of college have to do that.

Agreed and he's setup to learn from a couple of guys who will help him hit the ground running.  Super spot for him to have been so fortunate to land in this situation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I read he needs to add routes. Is it easy to do so, basically a given he will add them?  I admit I have no idea what route package mid rounders have typically mastered by draft day nor how hard it is.  But I feel its not unusual to see most WR WE draft sit on the sideline for a year or 2 and we never really know what the holdup is.  I usually assume its blocking or better old grizzly vets in front of him that practice perfectly.

Most of these guys have been playing football for a while so I'd guess they already have knowledge of the route concepts they'll need to become proficient at. But I'm guessing that since they haven't done them much in college, it will require reps and time to really get the nuances of them down. Pretty much anyone can learn how to run a 15 yard dig route, but really perfecting it with the depth, timing, technique with jab steps and all that, takes time and work. Not to mention how it fits in with what the offense is doing as a whole on the play and the timing with other WRs, etc.

• Like 1

I think this guy has an abnormal Proprioception (sense that allows us to know exactly where our body parts are in space and in relation to one another)

When you watch his tape, whenever he swivels his upper body around to track and catch a generally on target pass while in a sprint, his stride does not change... like at all. That continues through the catch as well. No unnecessary bunny hop, no hitch, nothing. Just carries his same motion through the reception.

Its so fluid and natural looking. The momentum he has when he first swivels his hips is the same as when he makes the reception and exits to a normal running stance. If the pass is on target, and you only had video of this guys legs running, you would almost be unable to tell when he swiveled his body to make a catch. Its pretty to watch.

I also think its a big part of his ball tracking ability.

It is a quality we see a lot out of Terry, where catching a ball does not slow him down. If he has separation on a slant or cutting route, he maintains that separation through the catch allowing for YAC opportunities. A lot of our guys last year didn't share this trait.

Dy is so fluid in this movement, it gives me a lot of hope towards a excelling with a more complete route tree in his future.

• Like 3

I posted this elsewhere.  One of the best starters (ignore some of the small sample size QBs that PFF included above him) as for throwing the ball 20 plus yards was Fitz.

Sheehan said he heard the dude they wanted the most (I presume among realistic chances) was Elijah Moore but the next guy was Dyami Moore.  What do the two plays have in common. Deep ball threats.  If Sheehan is right they targeted a player with that skill set.  And it feels like a good match with Fitz. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 7.27.58 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1