Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Dyami Brown WR, UNC

PCS

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Being a track star doesn't make you a deep threat.

It does not.  Dyami is a major deep threat and skills like tracking and adjusting to the ball in the air and being able to concentrate and pluck it through the contact at the catch point are essential on vertical routes and those are his best skills.  Combine that with his superior instincts for creating space and leverage on his route stems and you've got an elite deep threat who will punish you for not assigning a bracket to him.

Dyami isn't Will Fuller, he wins in different ways.  But he will provide a similar amount of gravity.  He's going to transform our offense and pull those safeties off of McLaurin and Samuel.  Nobody will benefit more for him than Samuel.  He needs breathing room to do his magic and romp through softened up underneath zones and Dyami will give us that because teams are going to quickly adjust to him.  Can't sit on underneath stuff with him and can't leave him one on one deep.

4.4 is great open field speed too FWIW.  He doesn't have the turbo button speed for creating with the ball in his hands like Rondale Moore or Henry Ruggs, but he'll kill you when he has a runway.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

On 5/5/2021 at 8:23 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

The other thing about Dyami and I mentioned it on the draft thread weeks back when I watched him.  I am surprised he doesn't get more hype for his run blocking.  He's fun to watch on that front.  He doesn't blow up defenders like Garcon did.   But he's so feisty on that front and will run far downfield to help spree a fellow receiver and running back.  When you see some of the big runs from Williams and Carter, often you see Dyami charging down the field and helping with a 2nd level block. 

Like Tylan Wallace.  It feels like Dyami and Tylan were the two best fits for us in the entire WR class because of what we're going to try and do on offense this year.  The signing of Curtis Samuel tells us that he'll be the featured weapon in the offense, and he needs other receivers to block those screens and sweeps for him.  Terry and Dyami can really make major contributions here, and hopefully Gibson can too.

Dyami is ready to play as a rookie and I think he'll be our best draftee in year one.  He's got an NFL ready body and strength and he's got a polished vertical wheelhouse that we need out there on the field immediately.  And he can block.

Cosmi was a good get for the sweep/screen game too.  If he can manage to win a starting job as a rookie, he's going to get the chance to make some splashy second level blocks for Curtis Samuel.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Like Tylan Wallace.  It feels like Dyami and Tylan were the two best fits for us in the entire WR class because of what we're going to try and do on offense this year.  The signing of Curtis Samuel tells us that he'll be the featured weapon in the offense, and he needs other receivers to block those screens and sweeps for him.  Terry and Dyami can really make major contributions here, and hopefully Gibson can too.

Dyami is ready to play as a rookie and I think he'll be our best draftee in year one.  He's got an NFL ready body and strength and he's got a polished vertical wheelhouse that we need out there on the field immediately.  And he can block.

Cosmi was a good get for the sweep/screen game too.  If he can manage to win a starting job as a rookie, he's going to get the chance to make some splashy second level blocks for Curtis Samuel.

As soon as Sheehan explained just before the draft in detail about why they liked Elijah Moore and that he was told he fits the prototype WR they are looking for to complete the group -- yet they thought 19 is a bit early for him but he'd be in play in a trade down.  But if not Elijah, he said they'd like some dude who is similar.  My mind raced to Dyami Brown foremost.  I said so on draft day on the draft thread.  Not so much from a run blocking mode but when I think of Elijah I think first and foremost of a dude who is a strong hands catcher, can seperate on vertical routes and who can track the deep ball extremely well. 

Both players are great at tracking the deep ball.  Elijah overall has the better hands.  He doesn't have the concentration drops that Dyami sometimes has.  Elijah also is a bit faster.  Dyami though IMO is the better run blocker.  

Turner has said they want to get the ball down the field more than what they did last year.  Fitz is the right guy for it.   Compared to last year:  we likely will have more yards, higher YPA, more production, more TDs, the downside being more picks. 

Agree with your points about screens/sweeps backfield motion with this group.   Between Samuel, Gibson, McKissic they got some weapons on that front.  And you need some players to block in front of them.  I think that's one of the reasons why Rivera doesn't want to let Scherff go in spite of Scherff's agent turning down offers.  

Be interesting to see Dyami play Z.  They used him so heavily on the left side/mostly X at Carolina -- wonder if its an adjustment to play the other side.  Wallace who you brought up did mostly play on the right, Z. 

Terry is one of the better WR blockers in the game.    Dyami is a good run blocker, too.   I noticed for the 4th-5th receiver some are writing off Harmon.  Personally I am not so sure.  I think Harmon can at least give Cam a run for his money, and he's also a terrific run blocker. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, terpfan said:

I think Jordan Ta’amu was the only Qb in camp. 

Rivera said we screwed up, though Montez was eligible to attend this camp but realised he wasn’t, therefore quickly brought this guy in.

• 2 weeks later...

Dyami Brown is known as a deep threat. In Washington, he’s ready to prove he’s much more.

May 24, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. UTC

The first two practices of Dyami Brown’s professional career looked very little like the games that made him a star at North Carolina. The Washington Football Team third-round pick rarely, if ever, ran a route deeper than 20 yards during rookie minicamp — and he had averaged 20 yards per catch each of the past two seasons. In college, the 6-foot-1, 189-pound lightning bolt had often turned turf to track, sprinting by defenders and onto highlight reels.

Yet there he was in the back corner of the field, snap after snap, planting his feet at five, seven, 12 yards, practicing curls and digs and slants, determined to prove to his current coaches what those from his past believe: Dyami Brown is a complete receiver.

“I’ve been working on [those routes] for the longest,” he said. “I understand you have to be more than one-dimensional to be successful, and I’ve been working on that.”

Ideally, Washington wants Brown to become another interchangeable receiver in offensive coordinator Scott Turner’s Air Coryell-based scheme, a complement to Terry McLaurin and Curtis Samuel. That is a big ask for a 21-year-old who said he comes to the NFL having played a rather siloed role at North Carolina (mostly the “X” receiver position, mostly on the left side, mostly running vertical routes). So while Brown figures to have immediate value as a deep threat — his speed and ability to track the ball downfield should translate to the pros — a pressing question is how soon he can become more versatile.

Coach Ron Rivera seemed encouraged by Brown’s first impression. He complimented Brown’s strength and noted his contested-catch prowess. According to Pro Football Focus, Brown never dropped a contested target at North Carolina (of which he had 49), though the number belies concerns about focus drops, which Rivera also mentioned.

“But, man, when he competed for it, he went out and got it,” Rivera said. “I like the way he runs his routes and gets off the line of scrimmage. [He’s] able to stack the defender right away and use his speed to keep his body [between the ball] and the defender.”

Washington is betting Brown’s traits give him a high floor and his work ethic provides a high ceiling. His speed, strength, quick releases and body positioning are why coaches past and present aren’t worried about what Brown’s NFL.com scouting report called “a limited set of routes.” In the past two seasons, about 38 percent of his targets came on vertical routes, 26 percent on hitches, 11 percent on slants and less than 6 percent on any other route, according to Pro Football Focus.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Giddy4Gibson said:

So curious if you guys who play FF think Brown could end up relevant this year? Reports seemed positive of the chemistry with Fitzmagic...thoughts on his upside/production this year? 

No one picked him up in any of my leagues, but I’ve thought about stashing him on the bench. I kinda wanna wait until week 2 or 3 to see how he does.

10 hours ago, Giddy4Gibson said:

So curious if you guys who play FF think Brown could end up relevant this year? Reports seemed positive of the chemistry with Fitzmagic...thoughts on his upside/production this year? 

I think Brown might have some big games early in the season while Samuel's recovers from injury.  They don't seem to want to rush #10 back too soon, so I see Dynamo doing some damage until he returns.  From there, his Fantasy-value will be a Desean Jackson boom-or-bust situation.  I have a feeling that he will start the season really strong, slow down a bit from weeks like 3 to 10, and then just come shooting out of a cannon to end the season.

I would say he's not a dude you draft right away... But when you crack open a brew after your draft is complete and immediate realize that you drunkenly drafted 5 tight ends (again!) and there might be someone sweeter in the FA pool... Dyami could be a sneaky move.   Really all depends on the health of our receiving core as a whole, but #2 is going to get his chances.