Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is how I feel.  He can be a good pick without being the best pick.  I do feel like he was a small reach where we took him, and normally I'd be annoyed about opportunity cost, but I am starting to feel like we did make the best possible picks we could have in rounds the second and third rounds.  I didn't think that after the draft--I wanted us to get Tremble and Wyatt Davis with our third rounders.  But I've grown to like St Juste and Brown better.  St Juste wasn't on my radar at all predraft and I've been blown away by what little I've seen of him, and I think Brown might be better than Tremble.

I didn't get my hopes up for Etienne or Harris, but it will hurt a little bit if they end up being superstars and Jamin doesn't become a great player.  The other outcome that will hurt is if JOK ends up being way better than Jamin.  Other than that, I'm pretty much content with the Jamin pick as I wasn't an advocate for trading up for one of the QBs.  I don't think JOK is going to end up being way better than Jamin either.  Jamin is getting groomed by this coaching staff.  They are approaching his development very intentionally and have big plans for him.  He's going to eventually get the keys to the defense and be a team leader, like Kuechly was for Rivera.  I highly doubt that JOK is getting that kind of treatment and job security in Cleveland.  This organization is going to do everything possible to make sure Jamin succeeds.

I just watched the browns put together a 20 play, 89 yard, 10 minute TD drive using a FB and Shanny style ground and pound and it was so enjoyable. 

Wish we drafted Harris because our line looks awesome at run blocking. I know were going to be a pass happy team, which I dont love, but I love this ****. 

In hindsight, mac jones or harris would have been better picks and then signing a FA LBer and maybe drafting one of the fallers like JOK or Bolton, but it is what it is.

I think Davis will be very good and pay off, but it might take 3 months to 2 years, which is okay.

Glad Holcombe is looking great in year 3.

• Like 4

Montez Sweat was clumsy as **** his first year. People questioned moving up to get him. They molded him into a possible all pro.

Davis has the tools that you can’t teach. He is a willing learner and tackler. Rivera and Del Rio know a thing or two about LBs. I don’t take what they’re saying as “camp hype”, but more that they can see the finished product underneath the rough veneer. 

I think Davis will be a great player. The coaches and the other studs on this defense will bring it out in him. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I will fight you.

53 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

In hindsight, mac jones or harris would have been better picks and then signing a FA LBer and maybe drafting one of the fallers like JOK or Bolton, but it is what it is.

Then we don’t have Cosmi. Which means we probably draft OL in the third which means we also don’t have St Juste or Brown.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Montez Sweat was clumsy as **** his first year. People questioned moving up to get him. They molded him into a possible all pro.

Davis has the tools that you can’t teach. He is a willing learner and tackler. Rivera and Del Rio know a thing or two about LBs. I don’t take what they’re saying as “camp hype”, but more that they can see the finished product underneath the rough veneer. 

I think Davis will be a great player. The coaches and the other studs on this defense will bring it out in him. 

Montez was a top 10 prospect that fell. Davis is  mid rounder that we reached on massively. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1

10 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I was just about to post the same thing regarding Sweat.  I loved the pick as I recognized LB was a real weak point. I still feel this way because expecting a rookie with such little experience to change that by himself is unrealistic.  And of course we don't know for sure that he will pan out.  So once again I remain concerned that with weak LBs, and little depth behind the starting LBs, this is not an elite defense right now. 

Side note:  Any reason they had no interest in the still unsigned K J Wright?  

• Like 2

The only thing I wish they had done differently is bring in a solid veteran linebacker or two so this kid could develop slowly.

Jamin being one of our only talented linebackers there's too much pressure to succeed early.

This thread is proof of that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Montez had more experience in college.  He was a JUCO player who put in five years and had two All-SEC seasons under his belt.  Jamin only has 11 starts and he didn't make an All SEC team in his career.  So his timeline for development should be slower than Montez's was.

I'm still excited about him, acknowledging that we might have reached on him is separate from that excitement for me.  I think he'll be inconsistent this year, but I think he's going to give us some tantalizing flashes where we see what he can do when he puts it all together, and that will convince fans to be patient.  He's going to be a true sideline to sideline playmaker, it just might not come until late year two or year three.  But the coaches will be patient with him.  He's in exactly the right situation to become successful.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wish we drafted Harris because our line looks awesome at run blocking. I know were going to be a pass happy team, which I dont love, but I love this ****. 

Yeah a pounding, Shanahan style run game and offensive construction would really suit this team.  Weak QB, but punishing outside zone blocking line, especially on the right side where Scherff and Roullier and Cosmi are road graders.  And now it looks like we might have two good blocking TEs in Bates and Reyes.  Plus Terry and Dyami are unusually good blockers for outside receivers.  You don't necessarily need a Najee or an Etienne to do what the 9ers do if you can find a Mostert and Sermon.  It wouldn't have hurt though.  And if I had been in charge, I would have picked Najee.

If we're going to make the leap to being a true contender and build a balanced team where the offense can keep up with the defense, then we're either going to need to land a whale like Watson/Rodgers/Wilson or we're going to need to become a run first team in the style of San Francisco.  In the meantime, we should be looking at backs and linemen in this year's class who can help us solidify our identity.

I wouldn't have given Mac Jones to this offensive coaching staff if I had been in charge.  Their only chance of making it work is with fully formed vets like Fitzpatrick.  I also didn't like Jones as a first round talent at all, but I am getting a bad feeling that he's going to make my pre-draft takes on him look horrific.  His immediate competency was really palpable, and it just feels like he ended up in the perfect situation.  It's only a matter of time before he claws the starting job out of Cam Newton's hands and I think he's going to be successful.  That New England team looked way better and more coherent than I thought they would.  Great balance, stifling D, deep stable of talent in the run game, and potentially a good young quarterback to pilot the offense.  Kind of feels like when the San Antonio Spurs were bad for one year and it was enough to get Tim Duncan before the train got right back on track.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Wasn’t it just a week ago where people were popping off about how this has the chance to be one of the greatest draft classes of all time?

im almost positive no fanbase is more bipolar than this one.

It’s usually two different groups and not necessarily the same people flip flopping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dyst said:

It’s usually two different groups and not necessarily the same people flip flopping.

fair enough. I honestly don't pay too much attention to who says what.

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

I don't really know what the critics wanted to see in the first real action for Davis. Even Chase Young looked a little hesitant and over thinking things in his first preseason game last year.

Well, what do you expect from the bust of all busts!?!

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Wasn’t it just a week ago where people were popping off about how this has the chance to be one of the greatest draft classes of all time?

im almost positive no fanbase is more bipolar than this one.

I'm 100% with you. Make that 10% But 100% of the 10%.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Davis likely doesn't solve the LB'er problems this team has had, to start the season.  However, he's not making them worse and might be a different player after the fist month of the season.  He could be a guy who's light comes on after 4-5 games.  I was not concerned with what I saw in his first NFL game EVER. 

He'll be good.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah a pounding, Shanahan style run game and offensive construction would really suit this team.  Weak QB, but punishing outside zone blocking line, especially on the right side where Scherff and Roullier and Cosmi are road graders.  And now it looks like we might have two good blocking TEs in Bates and Reyes.  Plus Terry and Dyami are unusually good blockers for outside receivers.  You don't necessarily need a Najee or an Etienne to do what the 9ers do if you can find a Mostert and Sermon.  It wouldn't have hurt though.  And if I had been in charge, I would have picked Najee.

If we're going to make the leap to being a true contender and build a balanced team where the offense can keep up with the defense, then we're either going to need to land a whale like Watson/Rodgers/Wilson or we're going to need to become a run first team in the style of San Francisco.  In the meantime, we should be looking at backs and linemen in this year's class who can help us solidify our identity.

Honestly, I'm not sure SF is really that great of an example. Sure, they're mostly a run first team right now, but I think that's because they didn't really have a lot of talent at QB, so they made the best out of what they had. Jimmy G and Mullens are both completely mediocre game managers.

I very much doubt that SF would have given up 2 future 1st rounders and a 3rd to trade up for a QB unless they envisioned a much more pass focused offense as their longer term future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

I don't really know what the critics wanted to see in the first real action for Davis. Even Chase Young looked a little hesitant and over thinking things in his first preseason game last year.

There was no preseason last year.  Chase in his first game dominated against Philly