Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Matt Gaetz Is Said to Be Investigated Over Possible Sexual Relationship With a Girl, 17. Wrap it up. Gaetz likely to avoid charges. Gaetz former ally sentenced to 11 years.

Cooked Crack

1 hour ago, Bang said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

~Bang

39 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Yea, I know better than to get my hopes up.  And even if he is arrested, there will be a few Q-nutjobs that won't vote to convict no matter the evidence.  And all of his supporters will just see it as a liberal hit job.  He'll fundraise off being arrested for having sex with minors and trafficking minors for sex.  And the group that is convinced the world is run by a pedophilia cult will refuse to believe their guy did it despite all evidence to the contrary.  

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, this is where I am, too.

You get to a certain level and the rules just don't apply to you.  Maybe Gaetz is at that level, maybe he isn't.  But I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens.

The thing that keeps me from seeing it in the same way: this whole shebang was started under Trump and Barr. Barr even avoided attending functions with Gaetz, they seized his phone, he was being extorted by someone who said they could make the investigation go away, he tried to get a blanket pardon from Trump, Trump hasn't met with Gaetz like he's meeting with everyone else, and the report that many GOP Congress members actually hate the guy. He's not made of Teflon like others before him.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 3

One really sad thing is that if Gaetz is indicted you just know his fundraising will skyrocket. He'll say he's a victim of the DERP STATE and is only being targeted because he's a Trump supporter and "they" want to silence him.

MTG and others will keep defending him...not because they believe that he's innocent (or even care one way or the other), but because they know that sweet sweet cash from the MAGA mouth breathing faithful will overflow into their coffers as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

Obviously Greenburg's credibility will be challenged and is an issue. Hopefully they have some other corroborating witnesses (like the one staff that was mentioned) and documents to support Greenburg's claims. 

Prosecutors know this and wouldn’t offer him a plea otherwise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

Obviously Greenburg's credibility will be challenged and is an issue. Hopefully they have some other corroborating witnesses (like the one staff that was mentioned) and documents to support Greenburg's claims. 

I can’t see them bringing charges solely on Greenberg’s word.  DOJ is selective with their cases and have a very high win rate.  We know of the Venmo transactions.  I’m sure there is a lot more than what Greenberg brings to the table.  He just ties everything together.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

I would agree they (prosecutors) have their ducks in a row, but Gaetz's people will lie enough for many to think he's telling the truth. I just hope Gaetz's noise doesn't prevent the truth from coming out. 

Oh the masses will believe what they want. Fact is a matter of opinion these days. Nothing can be done about that for a bit unfortunately. 

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

I would agree they (prosecutors) have their ducks in a row, but Gaetz's people will lie enough for many to think he's telling the truth. I just hope Gaetz's noise doesn't prevent the truth from coming out. 

I'd suspect there was a good reason that he was pestering Trump's camp for a pardon pre Jan 20th. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Prosecutors know this and wouldn’t offer him a plea otherwise. 

Yeah, Eli Honig (former federal prosecutor) was asked about this on CNN yesterday and he said that the prosecutors wouldn't have offered Greenberg a cooperation deal if they hadn't already been able to corroborate what he's told them thus far. They don't offer those deals based on hunches or hoping that the person is telling the truth. They're very thorough. 

• Like 2

At this point I would be more worried that this goes beyond Greenberg and Gaetz to the point where Greenberg is being floated a future pardon if he keeps his mouth shut, takes the blame and spends some time in prison while strings are pulled.

16 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Did he name any of the people?

Yeah good question. Maybe it's a situation where they don't want to state publicly in his plea who he told them it was, especially if they're in the process of building a case against the person(s) in question.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

I doubt the FBI or any law enforcement is going to offer up any kind of plea if "other men" is as detailed as he is willing to get.  He might not be willing to name names publicly (for now) but that doesn't mean behind closed doors he won't. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Think I've read that what the tax collector had been known to do, was to take old drivers licenses that had been turned in, at renewal, and make ID with that information on it, and other people's pictures. 

27 minutes ago, visionary said:

Only 6 of 33 charges?...I know the prosecutor's office probably added some charges for the sole purpose of using them as a negotiating tactic, but holy stinkin' kumquats, that's a lot of charges to be overlooked...I'm gonna go ahead for now and assume you drop 27 charges as part of a plea deal because the info Greenberg is giving up is well worth it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1