Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Matt Gaetz Is Said to Be Investigated Over Possible Sexual Relationship With a Girl, 17. Wrap it up. Gaetz likely to avoid charges. Gaetz former ally sentenced to 11 years.

Cooked Crack

2 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Did they even have anything on him in the first place? Media's probably just rolling out this story for clicks.

I don't know much about this case, but unless the woman whom Gaetz allegedly slept with when she was 17 presses charges i doubt anything will come of it. We're talking about a prostitute/adult film star too. Not sure what that means for credibility. 

Otherwise, Gaetz's shady friends aren't going to incriminate him. Not directly anyway. 

Sounds like they already have in some way. Gaetz's boy Greenberg already copped a plea in return for cooperation and usually that doesn't happen unless you have a bigger fish than you to hand to them.

Also, it doesn't matter whether the girl is a adult film star or a prostitute now. If she was underage and he had sex with her knowing that then it's illegal. And transporting her across state lines is as well.

I don't think the minor has to press charges for someone to be charged with statutory rape. That's sort of like saying a person can only be charged with an armed robbery if the store manager agrees to press charges. Not the way it works.

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sounds like they already have in some way. Gaetz's boy Greenberg already copped a plea in return for cooperation and usually that doesn't happen unless you have a bigger fish than you to hand to them.

Also, it doesn't matter whether the girl is a adult film star or a prostitute now. If she was underage and he had sex with her knowing that then it's illegal. And transporting her across state lines is as well.

I don't think the minor has to press charges for someone to be charged with statutory rape. That's sort of like saying a person can only be charged with an armed robbery if the store manager agrees to press charges. Not the way it works.

And to piggyback on this, they evidently have enough digital evidence on him trafficking her across state lines that her testimony/credibility is not key.  Also the whole FL driver’s license thing, it’s not going to end well for him. 

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Someone wrote that Gaetz stopped loving America in 1794, when she turned 18.

42 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm a little confused by the date.

Wouldn't that make America 22 by most people's basis of American independence?

37 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Sheesh. Nobody said there would be math AND history involved.

Nerds. Ok, he hasnt loved the Constitution since 1807. 😁

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Looking a little further, Greenberg was guilty of all sorts of ****. Guy was a straight crook. This asshole was stealing tax money to party and bang whores. He also was spreading lies about his political opponent whom worked in a school district. (ironically, he was making fake social media accounts accusing the person of sexually assaulting a student and being a white supremecist) Its hard to tell in all that what he's really giving the feds for the plea deal

I see your point about the girl; you're right she doesn't have to press charges to prosecute statutory rape, but is she actually giving information? From what I'm reading, they mainly have the texts/messages between Greenberg and the girl. I have no idea here. 

Realistically, we're going to have a crook going to jail for lying/fraud among a ton of other things and a prostitute as your main sources of information against Gaetz? I'm no lawyer, but I'm going to assume that is an issue with credibility. Maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't matter in terms of filing charges. 

IMO, the media is stringing this one along teasing Matt Gaetz. They found the criminal, it was Greenberg. He was ****ing stealing tax money to fund his Epstein-lite whore-o-rama. **** that guy, they shouldn't have given him a plea deal. 

@MookaWell the thing is that prosecutors don't just give people like Greenberg cooperation agreements like that out of the kindness of their hearts. They do that when they see a potentially bigger fish and that person can land that fish for them. If it began and ended with Greenberg then I doubt he would have gotten that deal. Maybe drop one or two charges just to make it easier and not go to court, but not give him a big deal like they did. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been seeing teasers in this thread for what seems like a year, now.  

Sorry.  I'll celebrate when he's arrested, and charged/indicted.  Until then, drop the "constant stream of leaks that kind of imply undesirable things".  

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Been seeing teasers in this thread for what seems like a year, now.  

Sorry.  I'll celebrate when he's arrested, and charged/indicted.  Until then, drop the "constant stream of leaks that kind of imply undesirable things".  

This is where I'm at, too.  The longer it goes on, the more I'm inclined to think that nothing happens.  Same with Trump.  

• Like 1

I honestly don't know what to think (other than the pretty clear evidence that Matt Gaetz is a creepy ass scumbag).

Part of me is hopeful that the feds are just being super thorough and gathering as much evidence as they can so an indictment is pretty much airtight.

But another part of me knows that unfortunately people like him don't usually have to play by the same rules as everyone else and he might get off without so much as a scratch (and he'll probably double his fundraising, because MAGAs are awful).

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm content with justice not adhering to my desired timetable.

I don't have a timetable, I just think the longer things get drawn out that there's more of a chance that justice (I'm assuming we're talking about serious prison time) won't happen.  

There's a saying in sales, "Time kills all deals," and I don't think this is any different.  

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If you build it (the case), they (the charges) will come.

I hope you're correct.  

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't have a timetable, I just think the longer things get drawn out that there's more of a chance that justice (I'm assuming we're talking about serious prison time) won't happen.  

There's a saying in sales, "Time kills all deals," and I don't think this is any different.  

I hope you're correct.  

I think this case has only been going on for less than a year....and it's not about just one guy. A case taking over a year before charges are brought is pretty much the norm in almost all criminal cases unless there is direct and undeniable evidence that is made immediately available. Look how long it took to get Greenberg...there's a newspaper in Florida that has been reporting on his crimes for years before his arrest. And probably don't need to worry about time killing any deals...the guy they made a deal with is providing "thousands" of pieces of evidence which is leading to more and more witnesses that the DOJ can interview. Had they brought charges back in March those witnesses may have been overlooked.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I think this case has only been going on for less than a year....and it's not about just one guy. A case taking over a year before charges are brought is pretty much the norm in almost all criminal cases unless there is direct and undeniable evidence that is made immediately available. Look how long it took to get Greenberg...there's a newspaper in Florida that has been reporting on his crimes for years before his arrest. And probably don't need to worry about time killing any deals...the guy they made a deal with is providing "thousands" of pieces of evidence which is leading to more and more witnesses that the DOJ can interview. Had they brought charges back in March those witnesses may have been overlooked.

Hey man, like I said...I hope you're right.  

• Like 1

I have a neighbor originally from Vermont who gets so impatient with Congress and other law enforcement about the time it takes to put together an and investigation or to pass laws etc. I keep explaining that getting those numbers of people aligned pro or con on most everything takes a while is the norm. Yet a lot of people who think like me are wanting to make right the crap of Republicans starting from the Newt Gingrich days to the last presidency. And they are impatient like my neighbor. The attitude is "It needs to be fixed and fixed now." 

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

It would help be more confident if this wasn’t the exact same thing that happened with the Mueller investigation. A constant stream of information that was damaging and we all believed there was some master case of chess being played that was going to drop at once. Then we realized the prosecutor just didnt really have the heart for it. 

so I’ll believe it when I see it. Until then, I’ll continue to assume nothing happens and this dude will likely be president within a decade 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I think there's also some frustration with the (apparent) fact that a case against someone who's an elected official (or just a rich person) tends to take longer to bring together as the prosecutors want/need to make sure it's as tight a case as humanly possible.

The only real exceptions seem to be when there's evidence that's so ridiculously public and overwhelming that it would basically be prosecutorial misconduct to not bring charges ASAP.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think there's also some frustration with the (apparent) fact that a case against someone who's an elected official (or just a rich person) tends to take longer to bring together as the prosecutors want/need to make sure it's as tight a case as humanly possible.

The only real exceptions seem to be when there's evidence that's so ridiculously public and overwhelming that it would basically be prosecutorial misconduct to not bring charges ASAP.

Yeah, that's a good point.

12 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It would help be more confident if this wasn’t the exact same thing that happened with the Mueller investigation. A constant stream of information that was damaging and we all believed there was some master case of chess being played that was going to drop at once. Then we realized the prosecutor just didnt really have the heart for it. 

so I’ll believe it when I see it. Until then, I’ll continue to assume nothing happens and this dude will likely be president within a decade 

Didn't the Mueller investigation lead to a number of charges, arrests and guilty pleas?

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 2