Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

54 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

You can go into the draft looking for a position without reaching. The goal is not get one at all cost. If you are able to fill the role, great. If not, there will pretty much the same caliber players available after the draft as there is right now. Maybe better as some  teams are going to be releasing people based on how their draft goes. 

What can happen is two guys are really really close. But one is a position of need. Helps break the tie. But again, if you don't get that right guy in the draft, the same type of filler players there now will be there after the draft. 

Of course...rationally that is what teams should do...but we are dealing with humans. Have you watched the draft? 😆 It’s amazing how players fall to teams all the time that just happen to be at their greatest position of need. I highly doubt the “need” was the tie breaker. More likely they bumped up the player/position they needed a little (or a lot in some cases) to justify taking said player when they did. Players get taken early ever year that end up not being as good as players taken 20-40 picks later. Some of that is scouting deficiencies but some is drafting for need. 

46 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

It's normal to address roster needs via the draft.  That's a misunderstanding among fans.  You'd only have a draft full of BPA graded players regardless of position if you didn't have any holes.  The use of BPA grades are in conjunction with roster needs.  It's a dance, where you're looking to upgrade your roster with new talent on an organizational vision.  The only exception is when you're picking in the beginning part of the draft and a clearly exceptional player is available and now you have to weigh more options.  One of the reasons teams trade up, roster needs.

Hopefully everyone knows that by now but you are exactly right. But the problem comes in when team consciously (or subconsciously) fudge their draft boards. Players should be damn close in grade when you do that...not just in the same ballpark. 

9 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

I was just rewatching them draft him and having a good ol laugh...then I remember who we drafted later.

If the WFT had just drafted Sweat at 15 like the scouts and coach wanted to...no trade back into the first (thus losing next year’s second round pick)...then Pittman (who was drafted with said pick) or Claypool could have been on this team. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.😞

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

If the WFT had just drafted Sweat at 15 like the scouts and coach wanted to...no trade back into the first (thus losing next year’s second round pick)...then Pittman (who was drafted with said pick) or Claypool could have been on this team. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.😞

And the asset mismanagement of the Trent Williams. 

Now imagine if Bruce and Dan didn’t squander those 2 instances. This team would be primed right now.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Now imagine if Bruce and Dan didn’t squander those 2 instances. This team would be primed right now.

I wouldn't want to pay Williams what he's getting paid. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

If we didn't trade the house for RG3 and the get hammered on our cap, then the Kirk and Trent bull****. So many resources just **** out in the last decade.

Now we've had about 2, maybe 3 years of mostly better than average drafting. Sort of, Snyder forcing the Haskins pick, the Collins contract.

Now we have a respected HC, positional coaches with pedigree and family pedigrees, a well structured FO and a roster with about 10-12 potential play makers all under 26 YO.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

No but the point is valid that we could have gotten way more in return for him than we did but they screwed that up. 

Or if it didn’t happen in the first place and he was still here we could have let him walk for a high comp pick or it’s basically a 3 year deal for $20M a year which isn’t terrible for how good he is. 

Giants seem to be the clear favorites to sign Adoree Jackson. If they sign him, their roster has shaped out pretty nicely. To me, they seem like one of those 9-8/8-9 teams that are going to be a really tough out this coming season. Not a lot of high-end blue chip players will hold that team back. They can't expect Leonard Williams, Bradberry, and Martinez to have career years again either. Daniel Jones is the wild-card. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

3 hours ago, BC-Redskins said:

Starting to think that we maybe not doing anything until after the draft now..

really hoped a FS or starting LBer be signed but maybe tried and unsuccessful....

I disagree, we still have money to spend and are gonna add pieces. Stay tuned, we're not even a week in yet. 

7 minutes ago, dyst said:

+ Kirk

Kirk had his chances here....I'd rather have Fitz and Heiny without a doubt. 

5 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Giants seem to be the clear favorites to sign Adoree Jackson. If they sign him, their roster has shaped out pretty nicely. To me, they seem like one of those 9-8/8-9 teams that are going to be a really tough out this coming season. Not a lot of high-end blue chip players will hold that team back. They can't expect Leonard Williams, Bradberry, and Martinez to have career years again either. Daniel Jones is the wild-card. 

Yep, and how strong Barkley comes back which I'm sure he will. Daniel Jones vs our defense and Fitzmagic should be a win for us. Can't wait.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

32 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Sure would be nice if the #3 pick was ours.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Totally disagree. My understanding is that Trent is basically getting a 6 year contract that is two contracts. Three years at 20 million a year and then three years at 30 million a year. He’s never going to see the last 3 years of that money. I’d way rather have Trent Williams for 20 million than Scherff for 18. Not even close. Better run blocker. Better pass blocker. More important position. Similar recurrent health issues Trent is  as good at OT as we wish Scherff was at guard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jsharrin55 said:

I don't believe the guy that just got 23 mill AAV wouldn't have gotten more than a 5th and 3rd if they played it smarter. 

As stated earlier the contract is really 3 years at 20 mil per but having said that it's a different situation considering the guy who we traded was a disgruntled tackle who hadn't played in a year versus the guy who signed that new contract was someone who just proved he still had all pro talent. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

I don't believe the guy that just got 23 mill AAV wouldn't have gotten more than a 5th and 3rd if they played it smarter. 

They would have gotten a 2 and another mid rounder maybe. He was a tackle on the wrong side of 30 and had injury issues.

10 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

With Trent though, you have the potential an impending suspension (history of illegal substances). Just something else to consider.

And his never ending history of injuries....Trent will be a hall of famer with no real playoff history of anything the way his career is going. 

8 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

I agree....we could've gotten more for Trent had Bruce not been so stubborn. No question about it.