Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Forgot where I saw it but one person who covered the Jets said Mosley if he could even be traded versus releasing him would come cheap

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/86152/new-york-jets-spend-75m-in-nfl-free-agency-but-they-still-need-a-big-draft

8. Middle men: The addition of linebacker Jarrad Davis has fueled speculation about Mosley, whose roster spot appears shaky. Yes, the Jets are open to trading him, a source said, but that will be difficult because he's owed $14 million in guarantees over the next two seasons.

The Jets believe Davis can thrive as a middle linebacker in their 4-3 scheme, which emphasizes lateral movement over the 3-4's downhill style. His speed is what attracted the Jets' coaches. (He's faster than Mosley, but slower than Neville Hewitt, according to tracking data.) They also think he has position flexibility and could slide to one of the outside spots, but that might be a stretch. Statistically, he's horrible in coverage. In 366 coverage snaps over the past two years, he allowed 39 completions and two touchdowns in 50 targets as the nearest defender, per NFL Next Gen Stats.

Mosley's cap charge is a manageable $7.5 million, but it means there's $13 million committed to two players at the same position.

A number of us pointed to Davis but he is risky as he has not lived up to his potential.

I have mentioned FA Hewitt due to his speed as a possible LB for WFT. 

Sure feels like Mosley would be the answer RR would love. I would think they'd need to have him agree to an extension, pass a physical and not take more than a 3rd rounder

39. S JAQUISKI TARTT

Safety play in the NFL is extremely volatile, and often at the mercy of the opposing offenses that you happen to run into in a given year. Nothing shows that better than Jaquiski Tartt’s grading profile over the past few seasons, as Tartt has earned PFF grades of at least 75.0 in every facet of play we measure, just not in the same season.

His best season came in 2017, but he has struggled to replicate that level of performance ever since, and he even lost half of this past season due to injury. Tartt is versatile — able to line up in any safety spot — and athletic, but he fits the solid-if-unspectacular profile more than he is a true playmaker.

Contract Analysis: With so many safeties available, Tartt may get lost in the shuffle and end up as a great value signing in the second or third wave of free agency after missing the 49ers' final seven games. Tartt has a high floor both in coverage and against the run and is a perfect guy to pair next to just about anyone.

Prediction: Two years, $9 million ($4.5M APY). $4 million total guaranteed, $3 million fully guaranteed at signing.

50. S TRE BOSTON

An annual staple on the free agent market, Boston has been one of the better free safeties in the league in his seven years. Last season, he produced a career-low 53.8 grade that included a career-high 16 missed tackles. After playing almost exclusively at free safety in previous seasons, Boston played about half of his time in the box last season and his coverage grade of 50.6 ranked just 55th out of 64 qualifiers. He does his best work on the back end in both one and two-high safety looks, so a return to more of a true free safety role should get Boston back on track.

Contract Analysis: Boston finally landed the multi-year contract he deserved after several seasons of quality play on one-year deals, but unfortunately his three-year, $18 million contract with the Panthers just ended up becoming his latest one-year deal. Though Boston is a good player, no position market is more flooded with talent this offseason than free safety, so another one-year deal may be in store for him.

Prediction: Boston signs for one-year, $2.25 million, $1.25 million total guaranteed.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-100-best-available-nfl-free-agents-remaining-2021-nfl-free-agency

if rumors are true that we like either guy

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

A number of us pointed to Davis but he is risky as he has not lived up to his potential.

I have mentioned FA Hewitt due to his speed as a possible LB for WFT. 

Sure feels like Mosley would be the answer RR would love. I would think they'd need to have him agree to an extension, pass a physical and not take more than a 3rd rounder

I wish I could recall where I saw it but one Jets reporter thought it would be a late round pick for him.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

39. S JAQUISKI TARTT

50. S TRE BOSTON

if rumors are true that we like either guy

I wish I could recall where I saw it but one Jets reporter thought it would be a late round pick for him.

The draft would be made a whole lot easier if could bring in a FS answer at a reasonable price.

Then answer the MLB question with a 5th or 6th. I just don't know if the contract could be absorbed

That would make it a offensive draft more sure until at least the 3rd or 4th. Imagine the D set and 4 straight offensive picks. What a nice set up that would be.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's a gamble for sure, but he was a top 3 LBer and the only reasons the Ravens couldn't get him back, because they seriously tried, is that absurdly Jet-esque contract they gave him.

I'd trade a 3rd for CJ Mosley.

Note a fan of trading away a day 2 picks. I think we need to keep that 1,2,3,3 set.

Now day 3 picks i would take a flyer with. CJ Mosley and Ertz are a couple I’d be tempted  on. Although, they may in the end just get released.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Note a fan of trading away a day 2 picks. I think we need to keep that 1,2,3,3 set.

Now day 3 picks i would take a flyer with. CJ Mosley and Ertz are a couple I’d be tempted  on. Although, they may in the end just get released.

I mentioned a 2nd and a 3rd next year.  I recant that and you are correct on using a day 3 pick.  We have needs and giving up what I mentioned was way off and too much.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I'm just extremely high on putting a true bully middle linebacker on the field for us, behind this line. 

So much talk about not taking advantage of the young guns on defense. This would be a homerun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm just extremely high on putting a true bully middle linebacker on the field for us, behind this line. 

So much talk about not taking advantage of the young guns on defense. This would be a homerun.

I agree.

I think a true MLB takes this defense to the next frontier.  But at the same time, that contract 2022 and moving forward is a real problem.  It would have to be reworked and I don't see why he would agree to take less.  I'd be open to a day 2 pick if NY eats some of that contract.

• Like 1

Giants seem to be going full court press on Adoree Jackson.  Read yesterday about how Jabril Peppers was working on him.

If they sign Jackson, that's a stacked secondary.  Keep in mind they drafted McKinney who some (me included) thought was one of the best safeties in the previous draft -- he got hurt and didn't play until the end of the season.

I saw a post here ripping Jabril Peppers.  But Peppers IMO is a good player and a big time leader.  Bradberry played very well.

Again I know the glass to some is always half empty as for the Giants and it feels good to think they are terrible.  but i agree with what Sheehan said on the radio today which is we can't sleep on them.  if they take someone like Pitts or Slater or Paye in the draft.  And land one of the remaining pass rushers maybe even Kerrigan in FA -- the team will be pretty balanced. 

Gettleman gets goofed on for letting Landon Collins go versus paying him big money.  We apaprently at the time were much smarter than him and gave Collins the big money.  Then ditto before that with Josh Norman.  And supposedly he was a fool for trading Beckham for two first rounders and Jabril Peppers.  And a fool for taking Daniel Jones instead of Haskins.  But he doesn't look that stupid on that front now.  I don't think he's a good GM.  And i am not a Jones guy.  But some of the things that he's been mocked about, we've arguably been on the wrong side of over time. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Giants seem to be going full court press on Adoree Jackson.  Read yesterday about how Jabril Peppers was working on him.

If they sign Jackson, that's a stacked secondary.  Keep in mind they drafted McKinney who some (me included) thought was one of the best safeties in the previous draft -- he got hurt and didn't play until the end of the season.

I saw a post here ripping Jabril Peppers.  But Peppers IMO is a good player and a big time leader.  Bradberry played very well.

Again I know the glass to some is always half empty as for the Giants and it feels good to think they are terrible.  but i agree with what Sheehan said on the radio today which is we can't sleep on them.  if they take someone like Pitts or Slater or Paye in the draft.  And land one of the remaining pass rushers maybe even Kerrigan in FA -- the team will be pretty balanced. 

Gettleman gets goofed on for letting Landon Collins go versus paying him big money.  We apaprently at the time were much smarter than him and gave Collins the big money.  Then ditto before that with Josh Norman.  And supposedly he was a fool for trading Beckham for two first rounders and Jabril Peppers.  And a fool for taking Daniel Jones instead of Haskins.  But he doesn't look that stupid on that front now.  I don't think he's a good GM.  And i am not a Jones guy.  But some of the things that he's been mocked about, we've arguably been on the wrong side of over time. 

He's made catastrophic mistakes with high firsts.  Taking Saquan at 2 was pure idiocy.  Its incredibly poor positional value.  Think Dallas regrets taking Zeke over Jalen Ramsey?  He should have taken the Jets trade offer (three 2nds) or just take Nelson or Bradley Chubb if he was so assured that Eli could still play (which was idiocy in and of itself).  How could he not have seen his wretched pass blocking?  Nick Chubb is easily the best RB from that draft and Cleveland got him with their early 2nd.  Imagine if they took Josh Allen.  Baker was a big blunder too.

Taking Thomas over Wirfs, Becton, and Wilfs seems like a pretty big mistake, although its still early.  Seems like he got the worst tackle amongst the big 4 last year.  Daniel Jones, I'm indifferent on.  They clearly needed a QB and were smart enough to pass on Haskins.   

They are going all in on the division this year.  

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

He's made catastrophic mistakes with high firsts.  Taking Saquan at 2 was pure idiocy.  Its incredibly poor positional value.  Think Dallas regrets taking Zeke over Jalen Ramsey?  He should have taken the Jets trade offer (three 2nds) or just take Nelson or Bradley Chubb if he was so assured that Eli could still play (which was idiocy in and of itself).  How could he not have seen his wretched pass blocking?  Nick Chubb is easily the best RB from that draft and Cleveland got him with their early 2nd.  Imagine if they took Josh Allen.  Baker was a big blunder too.

Taking Thomas over Wirfs, Becton, and Wilfs seems like a pretty big mistake, although its still early.  Seems like he got the worst tackle amongst the big 4 last year.  Daniel Jones, I'm indifferent on.  They clearly needed a QB and were smart enough to pass on Haskins.   

I actually said he was a bad GM.  But not a disaster.  Bradberry and Martinez were good FA signings last year.  The Leonard Williams trade was good.  

My main point is he got killed at the time mostly for:

A.  Not paying Josh Norman and  letting him walk

B.  Ditto Landon Collins

C.  Trading Beckham for two firsts and Peppers

D. Liking Daniel Jones over Haskins.

I think he ironically won all four points in the end but was mocked to death at the time for all four points in real time.

I agree with Sheehan the Giants roster isn't bad.  They turned a bad defense from 2019 around in 2020 to a decent one.   I like their supporting cast on offense better than ours. And I also like their depth on offense better than ours.   Daniel Jones isn't horrible.  He's just mediocre.  Their young O line hasn't gelled.  But they are in position to take someone like Slater in the draft to help on that front.   

They continue to beat us, year after year.  Am I scared of the Giants?  Nope.  But I am not with the group that seems to annually think that team is a joke.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No way will Mosely cost a Day 2 pick (or even multiple ones). The hope is that he's still a pretty good player. That's not a terrible assumption, but, as noted, he hasn't played much in the last two years. So there's some risk right there. But his contract is the real problem. It's onerous. That's what really kills his value. His only tolerable cap hit is in 2021, with large salaries in 2022, 2023, and 2024. Yeah, you could cut him after 2021, but it would still incur an $8 million dead cap hit even for the team that traded for him. What's that all really worth in an extremely depressed linebacker market (remember what guys like Jayon Brown got). If you wanted to deal for Mosley, I suspect it wouldn't take more than a pick swap or a low level (6th or 7th round) pick. Hell, maybe the Jets should pay someone to take Mosely. Unless he voluntarily restructures, that contract isn't going to last for more than a year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Gettleman knows it's make or break this year for his job.  

As fans it's easy to play armchair GM, but Rivera is trying to build a team with drafted and current players. Complete culture change!

Bringing in guys like Mosley would be awesome but I like the thought of drafting young rookie linebackers and safeties to be groomed by that locker room of dogs and earn it. 

This is the new culture guys, no more mercenaries, prove it, fight for it, pay our own, fight for a coach that'll fight for you, who is respected around the league.  Feels different and I'm excited. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Paying Mosley, or anybody for that matter, 20 M next year after the player has sat out a year and was injured the year before it would be a very risky gamble. One that should not be met with an upfront investment of day 1 or 2 draft picks. 

The only way I trade for CJ is if he

A: agrees to restructure his contract, making himself very cuttable after the 1st year

B: cost only around a 4th this year and a 5th next year

The man has basically been out of football for 2 years. While he would be a great reclamation project with high upside, nobody is willing to pay 20 M for a rec project let alone give up real assets to do it.

I also don't see CJ wanting to take that pay cut. As long as he sits on his hands, he has massive paychecks coming from the Jets, and much of it is G money.

4 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I know TE is considered a really hard position to pick up in the pros but what about line-backer? It seems to me to be one of the hardest positions to learn so am curious if we can expect rookies to slot straight in and excel?

Linebacker is one of those positions where what you see is what you get. That’s not to say that a guy can’t develop... they can. But it’s a refinement of their already likely skill set vs. all of a sudden understanding linebacker play.

Theres also a very vast spectrum of linebacker skill sets so schematic and individual fit is really important at linebacker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

No way will Mosely cost a Day 2 pick (or even multiple ones). The hope is that he's still a pretty good player. That's not a terrible assumption, but, as noted, he hasn't played much in the last two years. So there's some risk right there. But his contract is the real problem. It's onerous. That's what really kills his value. His only tolerable cap hit is in 2021, with large salaries in 2022, 2023, and 2024. Yeah, you could cut him after 2021, but it would still incur an $8 million dead cap hit even for the team that traded for him. What's that all really worth in an extremely depressed linebacker market (remember what guys like Jayon Brown got). If you wanted to deal for Mosley, I suspect it wouldn't take more than a pick swap or a low level (6th or 7th round) pick. Hell, maybe the Jets should pay someone to take Mosely. Unless he voluntarily restructures, that contract isn't going to last for more than a year.

I would gladly take on mosely and that contract if it only cost a late rounder.  His potential along with our dire need could result in a steal for us.  It's a risk worth taking.

6 hours ago, Panninho said:

We might have drafted a WR not named Metcalf or AJ Brown in the second and then not have picked up Terry in the 3rd. So who knows what happens in that alternate reality. We might have been better in the season, missing out on Chase Young because we didn't get the 2nd overall pick. And even worse, we might still be stuck with Bruce Allen.

I am not complaining about the last two years. We made some nice moves overall.

You know, if we hadn't traded WR Frank Grant in 1978 when we were 6-0 under Jack Pardee, subsequently ending up 8-8....  (I've explained this before.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

As fans it's easy to play armchair GM, but Rivera is trying to build a team with drafted and current players. Complete culture change!

Bringing in guys like Mosley would be awesome but I like the thought of drafting young rookie linebackers and safeties to be groomed by that locker room of dogs and earn it. 

This is the new culture guys, no more mercenaries, prove it, fight for it, pay our own, fight for a coach that'll fight for you, who is respected around the league.  Feels different and I'm excited. 

Totally agree, draft your future.

The only issue is the number of needs outweigh the number of early draft selections. Yeah its possible to drop back slightly in the 1st and pick up another 3rd, but that it and that is iffy.  There are still some needs that will need to be filled though free agency. Filling another hole or two also allows the draft to flow much easier.

Just now, DWinzit said:

Totally agree, draft your future.

The only issue is the number of needs outweigh the number of early draft selections. Yeah its possible to drop back slightly in the 1st and pick up another 3rd, but that it and that is iffy.  There are still some needs that will need to be filled though free agency. Filling another hole or two also allows the draft to flow much easier.

maybe we could do like when we drafted Kelly, Davis and Thomas and do right this time