Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

52 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

As fans it's easy to play armchair GM, but Rivera is trying to build a team with drafted and current players. Complete culture change!

Bringing in guys like Mosley would be awesome but I like the thought of drafting young rookie linebackers and safeties to be groomed by that locker room of dogs and earn it. 

This is the new culture guys, no more mercenaries, prove it, fight for it, pay our own, fight for a coach that'll fight for you, who is respected around the league.  Feels different and I'm excited. 

I hope Fitzpatrick doesn't find this out.

• Haha 2

Assuming Keim’s intel is correct and most of our remaining signings will be one year deals, and a goal of moving some into 2022 I’m curious to see what next years cap ends up looking like. 

We currently have $90m for 2022. 

2021 draft class will knock off about $10m so down to $80m. 

That’s a good place to be, but

you have Scherff, Allen and Payne off the books right now. Payne’s 5th year knocks it down to $72m.

So yeah, rolling some $$ forward would certainly help us be active again next year if we need to be (maybe we won’t need to be) ...

There are also some cut candidates. Schweitzer would knock off $5m if someone like Charles assumes the LG spot. Landon Collins would save like $13m and he’s certainly gone unless he returns to a pro bowl level.

• Like 2

Does anyone have an update on R. Foster?  I understand he is a free agent, but the question is about his health.  Is he close to be ready to be on the field again?  We have a glaring need at the position that he plays it sure would be nice if that could have worked.

10 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

I know that Samuel has a 3 year $34.5 million deal. However, I don't think we've learned how the Samuel deal affects this year's cap. Have I missed that information?

No for some reason that hasn’t been reported, I don’t think anyway. Would expect about a 5mil hit or there abouts.

• Like 1

If the answer to our linebacker problems is supposed to be Mayo I’m not impressed. They HAVE to draft one or it’s another year of watching teams gash us in the running game and people saying, “Our DL isn’t that impressive! Chase Young is a bust!”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If the answer to our linebacker problems is supposed to be Mayo I’m not impressed. They HAVE to draft one or it’s another year of watching teams gash us in the running game and people saying, “Our DL isn’t that impressive! Chase Young is a bust!”

Yeah...

I'll be really disappointed if they don't sign a FS, and go after a LB like Wright. 

It seems too obvious. 

Edited by Silvernon

This is from an Eagles reporter

27 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

So that's it?  They have shown interest in numerous DB's over the past few days. I still think they bring in one more name pre-draft

He flat out said that's not it.  But he doesn't expect a big money signing.   will see. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

don't forget we're going to need to Franchise Tag TMac at least twice to make sure we stay consistent...

IF, BIG IF we draft well we can extend our own at the earliest period of time and save money.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He flat out said that's not it.  But he doesn't expect a big money signing.   will see. 

Indeed he did "emphasizing depth or resigning more of their own".  Hoping one more name in brought in to fill another hole.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think QB is a little different considering it's the most important position as far as talent development and determining what we have and it would be malpractice to depend on broken ankle Allen and oft hurt and unproven Heineken beer. 

I actually hope we keep Fitz around a few years giving us stability at the position and play competitive football until we turn the roster into what the vision is.  We're a good 2-3 years away from being competitive if we build it right.  We screw it up overspending for free agents. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

I think QB is a little different considering it's the most important position as far as talent development and determining what we have and it would be malpractice to depend on broken ankle Allen and oft hurt and unproven Heineken beer. 

I actually hope we keep Fitz around a few years giving us stability at the position and play competitive football until we turn the roster into what the vision is.  We're a good 2-3 years away from being competitive if we build it right.  We screw it up overspending for free agents. 

Do you think he'll throw to Curtis less because he's not homegrown either?

Mosley would be the QB of the defense and arguably the center and most important of that unit.

You always need FAs.

• Like 1

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2937375-cj-mosley-trade-rumors-jets-are-open-to-trading-star-lb-ahead-of-nfl-draft

The question is, what kind of draft pick are the Jets looking at for him?? His value is very low because teams most likely know they signed Jarrad Davis to play MLB and they can't afford to keep both of their salaries to play the same position.

His cap hit for 2021 is only $6mil. Fans seem to think if they even get a 4th rounder they'll take it and run...

Edited by SemperFi Skins

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yep along with our starting LT, starting LG, last years starting WLB, pass catching RB, starting TE. 

Rivera if anything has been more aggressive than Bruce as for using FA IMO.   We signed three major players in FA and apparently aren't done.  Can't recall the last time we've been this aggressive.    2017 is maybe close but even that one was more bargain basement driven.

They swung hard for Cooper the previous season, offering over 20 million but lost out.

Rivera is coming off as the happy medium between Cerrato's crazy aggressive and Bruce's mostly cheap and failing version of it.  And I like it.  I'd label Rivera thus far as medium-aggressive in FA. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2937375-cj-mosley-trade-rumors-jets-are-open-to-trading-star-lb-ahead-of-nfl-draft

The question is, what kind of draft pick are the Jets looking at for him?? His value is very low because teams most likely know they signed Jarrad Davis to play MLB and they can't afford to keep both of their salaries to play the same position.

His cap hit for 2021 is only $6mil. Fans seem to think if they even get a 4th rounder they'll take it and run...

I would absolutely give a 4th.

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: EXCELLENT

Best signing: WR Curtis Samuel

An Ohio State reunion for WRs Terry McLaurin and Curtis Samuel is the obvious headline, with Washington in desperate need of another wide receiver. The Football Team offense is going to be an absolute nightmare for opposing defenses in the open field, with their lineup featuring:

• The No. 6 and No. 24 wide receivers in yards after the catch in 2020 in McLaurin and Samuel, respectively.
  • The No. 2 running back in yards after the catch in J.D. McKissic.
  • The No. 6 tight end in yards after the catch in Logan Thomas.

And let's not forget about 2020 third-round pick Antonio Gibson, the college wide receiver-turned-running back, who is a threat all over the field just like newly-acquired Curtis Samuel.

Washington will spread defenses out sideline-to-sideline and cause them to account for every blade of grass. The Football Team used jet motion on the fifth-most snaps in the NFL in 2020 and gained the third-best yards per carry on such plays (5.5). The addition of Samuel — whose 41 carries last season were 17 more than any other WR — provides another guy they can line up anywhere in the formation that defenses must account for.

Ryan Fitzpatrick had the second-fastest time to throw among quarterbacks with at least 50 dropbacks in 2020 at 2.37 seconds, getting the ball out quickly to his speedy playmakers and letting them go to work. He’s also more than willing to let it rip downfield on deep shots, with a 92.7 grade on throws 20-plus yards downfield.

Beyond the fun and exciting offense, Washington also added the top cornerback available this offseason in William Jackson III. His three-year, $40.25 million deal is a great value, and this Football Team defense should be daunting once more in 2021.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1