Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'm not quite sure what the team has in mind at safety. Is there a chance the team moves Curl to FS and lets Landon try and find his mojo again? I think Curl has the smarts to play the position and always seemed to be in the right place on pass plays. 

They have met with a lot DB's projected to go in round 2-5. We know they showed early interest in at least 2 or 3 LB's via FA. Looked like the plan was starting LB in FA and FS with a 3rd round. Who knows now with all their LB interests resigning with their own teams

47 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Feels like we’ve slightly fallen short to me. Not by much, but another ‘key’ addition would have been good. Maybe time for a surprise move yet.

Got to trust in RR and Co.  So far good to go.  

• Like 1

As I recall, Everett was playing pretty well at FS before he got hurt and Reaves looked decent. I’d like to upgrade but it’s not dire.

LB on the other hand was bad last year and we lost KPL also. We have got to sign more than Mayo, need a coverage LB. I’d be really surprised if we don’t take advantage of FA and sign more pieces in the next month and after the draft. We aren’t done, I hope, at least we shouldn’t be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree. However, we know we swung and missed on a top TE, as we did with Harris. Not sure who else. So, trust indeed, but the next moves should be interesting.

LBs that fit out scheme and good in coverage would be B.J. Goodson, Erik Wilson.  TEs Burton, Jesse James, Rodgers. 

With news anymore being air tight anything can happen with a signing at anytime as we have come to learn.  

14 minutes ago, RWJ said:

LBs that fit out scheme and good in coverage would be B.J. Goodson, Erik Wilson.  TEs Burton, Jesse James, Rodgers. 

With news anymore being air tight anything can happen with a signing at anytime as we have come to learn.  

I think at this stage I’d avoid the free agent market at LB and TE. Focus on the draft.

Only wildcard is the Ertz situation in Philly.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think at this stage I’d avoid the free agent market at LB and TE. Focus on the draft.

I think there will be depth signings but I'd like to see them lock up Allen now before prices go up and get a LTD done with Scherff so we can roll the money over to the cap for next year or whatever they chose to do.  RR and Co. are so much more different and for the good than Allen was.  Still trying to get a read on them FA and draft.  :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BC-Redskins said:

Starting to think that we maybe not doing anything until after the draft now..

really hoped a FS or starting LBer be signed but maybe tried and unsuccessful....

I'm pleasantly surprised with the restraint. Last off-season we signed a slew of 1 year prove it deals. The coaching staff and roster were new to each other. The approach this year is strategic as the focus has been primary areas of need based on last years results and our coaching staff/front office roster building strategy. I wouldn't expect much else aside from our draft picks, undrafted free agents, and bargain vets when we get closer to training camp. My main focus is now on the draft!

Heading to that thread now...

The salary cap is a joke. The Giants entered FA with very little to spend. VERY little. The "Spirit of the Cap" is an even bigger past joke. I suppose the "Spirit" only applies to the WFT, not the Giants. You can certainly tell who controls the reins in the NFL. The current owner does us no favors in this regard. Despise the Giants (Mara's) & Daniel Snyder even more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think there will be depth signings but I'd like to see them lock up Allen now before prices go up and get a LTD done with Scherff so we can roll the money over to the cap for next year or whatever they chose to do.  RR and Co. are so much more different and for the good than Allen was.  Still trying to get a read on them FA and draft.  :)

Will be interesting to see what comes on the Jon Allen / Scherff contract negotiations. Both must be in the 17/18mil per year bracket. :cheers:

25 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

The salary cap is a joke. The Giants entered FA with very little to spend. VERY little. The "Spirit of the Cap" is an even bigger past joke. I suppose the "Spirit" only applies to the WFT, not the Giants. You can certainly tell who controls the reins in the NFL. The current owner does us no favors in this regard. Despise the Giants (Mara's) & Daniel Snyder even more. 

If we wanted to we could manipulate the cap in the same way. We just choose not to.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I respectfully disagree...I don’t want them having to take any position early because they don’t have anyone even on the roster. Use FA to fill all the holes (even if it is with jag players) and then draft players by how you have them rated...not because you have nothing at their position. 

But what the **** do I know...I’m a Tottenham supporter 😕

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

I respectfully disagree...I don’t want them having to take any position early because they don’t have anyone even on the roster. Use FA to fill all the holes (even if it is with jag players) and then draft players by how you have them rated...not because you have nothing at their position. 

But what the **** do I know...I’m a Tottenham supporter 😕

You can go into the draft looking for a position without reaching. The goal is not get one at all cost. If you are able to fill the role, great. If not, there will pretty much the same caliber players available after the draft as there is right now. Maybe better as some  teams are going to be releasing people based on how their draft goes. 

What can happen is two guys are really really close. But one is a position of need. Helps break the tie. But again, if you don't get that right guy in the draft, the same type of filler players there now will be there after the draft. 

• Like 1

It's normal to address roster needs via the draft.  That's a misunderstanding among fans.  You'd only have a draft full of BPA graded players regardless of position if you didn't have any holes.  The use of BPA grades are in conjunction with roster needs.  It's a dance, where you're looking to upgrade your roster with new talent on an organizational vision.  The only exception is when you're picking in the beginning part of the draft and a clearly exceptional player is available and now you have to weigh more options.  One of the reasons teams trade up, roster needs.

4 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

True. The Giants just irritate me. 

Giants have a major cap problem next year and Dave Gettleman knows if Daniel Jones fails this year, the team fails and he's looking for a job. 

• Like 3

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

Just another example of our DL elevating corners. I can't imagine how much of a monster WJ3 is going to be in this defense. 

Defense can be more aggressive with WJ3.  I expect JDR to move onto Phaze 2 of his scheme with more defined weapons.  Certainly can't expect the same exact defense to produce the same results year on year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think the ultimate end point fallback would be Boston. And they do like Reaves to a degree, it appears.

Maybe add one more versatile DB then hit the draft, see what falls from there.

Troy Apke available??

(KIDDING!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

True. The Giants just irritate me. 

Well, think of it this way. The Giants can do it because they don't have an abundance of young talent on rookie deals who will soon be getting paid the way we do. Outside of Barkley, who I'm almost convinced they aren't resigning after next year, how many home-grown talents do they have on the roster that have been worthy of a giant second deal?

Just now, bowhunter said:

Troy Apke available??

(KIDDING!!)

Montae!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Giants have a major cap problem next year and Dave Gettleman knows if Daniel Jones fails this year, the team fails and he's looking for a job. 

I was just rewatching them draft him and having a good ol laugh...then I remember who we drafted later.