Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

FS Malik Hooker - 1-2 year deal for $2-4m per year

CB Gareon Conley: 1-2 year deal worth $2-4m per year

TE Gerald Everett: 3 year deal worth $4-6m APY

Some of the PFF Top 100 guys that fall into that lower-tier contract level. All are young, have upside, would want shorter-term prove-it deals. Contract numbers are suggestions per PFF

Has there been any concensus/guidance on WHO might be available in FA that fits what we need at LB. I am far less familiar with the needs of a 4-3 defense now as far as MLB and OLB goes. I assume Holcomb is penciled in for one of the OLB spots. I know we need upgrades there across the board.

Lavonte David appears to be the cream of the crop but I doubt he gets away from TB at this stage in his career. Then there's Jayon Brown and Matt Milano, but both of their profiles read as coverage LBs that struggle in the run-game, and I think we're looking for a true sideline to sideline MLB, right? So maybe the draft is the best/only real chance for a major upgrade there

The league is light on tight ends right now. Someone is going to pay Everett more than that to start for them esp with the LAR branding he carries. As I pointed out, we play a lot of zone where Conley struggles. Conley needs to go to Atlanta to play in a man scheme under Pees

9 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Why is it we never have major cap space?  It seems like everyone else has years where they have tons to spend and it seems like even when we do its not that much honestly. 

That's easy, too much waste.  Instead of cutting draft picks they've been cutting bad FA contracts that rollover dead cap.  You must have a timely rebuild that puts the majority of your roster cuts, year to year, without dead cap penalty.  This happens when the coaches and front office work together to bring competition to camp...not high profile or overpriced free agents. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, method man said:

The league is light on tight ends right now. Someone is going to pay Everett more than that to start for them esp with the LAR branding he carries. As I pointed out, we play a lot of zone where Conley struggles. Conley needs to go to Atlanta to play in a man scheme under Pees

Jonnu Smith is one I like.

I see Kyle Rudolph is complaining in Minnesota too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Jonnu Smith is one I like.

I see Kyle Rudolph is complaining in Minnesota too.

I actually like the other Tenn TE Swaim.  He’s a willing in-line blocker and we are definitely missing that currently. I like JSmith too, but I feel like Swaim would be a better deal.

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

FS Malik Hooker - 1-2 year deal for $2-4m per year

CB Gareon Conley: 1-2 year deal worth $2-4m per year

TE Gerald Everett: 3 year deal worth $4-6m APY

Love to see Everett here especially if we land Stafford. Luke warm on Conley. Another guy I'd like to see us in the mix for is Marcus Maye. 

56 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I actually like the other Tenn TE Swaim.  He’s a willing in-line blocker and we are definitely missing that currently. I like JSmith too, but I feel like Swaim would be a better deal.

The dude is not a receiving threat at all. It's a tell if he is on the field. I'd shy away from Jonnu becaues his pricetag will be really high but he is a two way guy who blocks well

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@method man touché. I was taking the lazy “JDR drafted him approach” ... but maybe he didn’t draft him actually haha

Fair enough and you are right that he must have been involved given the first round status but I doubt he impressed JDR during his rookie year in which they overlapped

34 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Love to see Everett here especially if we land Stafford. Luke warm on Conley. Another guy I'd like to see us in the mix for is Marcus Maye. 

Maye is definitely my top FS choice, assuming the price fits. If we go cheap at LBer, then I'd love to get Simmons to make up for it. Hooker is the cheap gamble that he stays healthy and I think we have the perfect fit for him and his career, kinda like what we just did for Darby.

• Like 1

Can someone come up with a best value signing list? My initial scan by position (outside of Winston, most of these guys are players who would cost <$4M AAV to sign)

QB - Winston

RB - Yeldon, Fournette

WR - McKenzie, Tyler Gabriel, John Ross, Alex Erickson, Dede Westbrook, Damiere Byrd (watch what Broncos do w Tim Patrick's RFA tag - if they go low tender, he would be a cheap #2 option)

TE - Butt / Fumagalli (both RFAs), Swaim (minimum guy)

OT - Z. Banner

G - No idea

C- No idea

DE - T. Murphy (he actually helped build the recovery center before leaving here), Charlton, Tak McKinley, Vic Beasley, Dion Jordan

DT - D. Irving (not a character guy)

LB - McMillan, B. Copeland, Hewitt

CB - lot of slot guys (C. Elder, D. Denard, M. Alexander), Awuzie, Weatherspoon, S. Jones, D. Worley, K. Crawley

FS - Hooker

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, method man said:

The dude is not a receiving threat at all. It's a tell if he is on the field. I'd shy away from Jonnu becaues his pricetag will be really high but he is a two way guy who blocks well

Fair enough and you are right that he must have been involved given the first round status but I doubt he impressed JDR during his rookie year in which they overlapped

Is there a good source that calls out snap counts with pass/run splits?  I too like to have personnel that doesn’t provide a tell like Ryan Grant and Desean Jackson.  The little I saw of Tenn, it didn’t seem like it was a dramatic split even though he’s not a primary passing target.  Would be interested in seeing numbers one way or the other.

If you can get Riley Reiff at $10M per year, I'd take that over giving Scherff $15M a year. Reiff can play a solid LT but, if you want to play Lucas or Charles there, you can also plug Reiff in at guard (he's publicly stated he is willing to do that). I really like the idea of having linemen like Charles, Schweitzer, Moses and Reiff who have proven they can play multiple positions given all the injuries linemen incur year in and year out

One thing to note is that he was a Mayhew pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

"He will not play for the Eagles next year"

https://overthecap.com/player/zach-ertz/112/

1 year 8 mill to other team (in a trade).  Eagle have no leverage and he had a down year.  I imagine a pretty low pick at best.  6th at best?

The last 2 years void, so if they cut or trade him it's the same dead money for them. 

Edited by jsharrin55

I don't anyone trades for Ertz considering most teams don't want to dedicate 8 million to Ertz when they'll all wait till Philly cuts him.  I could see us being a destination if Ertz wants to play Philly twice and we're close by.  Giants also make a ton of sense.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I don't anyone trades for Ertz considering most teams don't want to dedicate 8 million to Ertz when they'll all wait till Philly cuts him.  I could see us being a destination if Ertz wants to play Philly twice and we're close by.  Giants also make a ton of sense.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/zach-ertz-12316/market-value/

with the down year I could see you being right.  Sportrac has the market value at 9.3 mill.  If a team wants him and doesn't want to risk FA I could see a low pick. 

Please get ertz..cut sprinkle ..thomas ertz has a nice ring to it..get stafford, an excellent wr and lb in free agency..championship 

17 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

That would absolutely blow if ertz stayed in the divison..unless it's with us of course.

13 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

I'll add I didn't think David was likely, but considering the Bucs only have 23 mill and they have another great younger LB in White, would they look to spend the money elsewhere.

That's a great list. My son and I always wonder how the Buccs signed all those aging free agents and still stayed under the cap. I don't see Brady there though? I know he traditionally signed a suspiciously low deal with the Patriots, curious what he is on this year.

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hooker at 2mil to close the back of our defense looks like the greatest OYPID (one year prove it deal) ever potentially.

Potential, yes, but it sounds like another Bruce move to me.  Sign an injury prone guy and then wonder why half of our roster is on IR each year.

1 minute ago, mojo said:

Potential, yes, but it sounds like another Bruce move to me.  Sign an injury prone guy and then wonder why half of our roster is on IR each year.

Reaves has potential and Hooker would be on a small prove it deal. Bruce would have grossly overpaid him for 6 years on a deal we couldn't get out of like Collins.

This is a Darby style deal.

• Like 3

Call it outright homerism but as an OSU fan....if we can get Hooker for 2MPY it's an absolutely steal!  It's been crazy watching the health issues he had over in Indy.  He was healthy or at the very least played a little banged up his one year of starting for the Buckeyes(2016).  Is this prove it deal the consensus of rumors around the league or are we all just assuming he'll be available around that price tag based on availability during his rookie contract?   

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Reaves has potential and Hooker would be on a small prove it deal. Bruce would have grossly overpaid him for 6 years on a deal we couldn't get out of like Collins.

This is a Darby style deal.

Yeah, spending a small amount of money for a guy you’re bringing in to compete with other guys that have some promise/experience is a reasonable move.  Particularly when you’re trying to fill out your roster prior to the draft.  I don’t knock our FO for bringing in Sean Davis for example (though Hooker is in a bit of a different boat than Davis).  Sure, you’re likely to wind up with just a variance of ok play like we got from KPL, Bostic, etc, but it’s better than if we’d relied on JHC or SDH.  These type of guys also don’t (or shouldn’t) preclude you from drafting a guy at the position.

There’s some nuance to going this route too.  I like the addition of inexpensive, short term contracts for 1) older guys that are brought in more so to add experience and help out your younger players (Thomas Davis, my least favorite avenue of course), 2) younger guys coming off injury (Darby), 3) younger guys with upside coming off rookie contracts (KPL).  Of course, there’s also the slightly more expensive, longer term contracts for guys like McClain/McGee... not a fan of these of course - as has been said often, just chase the pricier, proven guy at that point (but probably only if you feel like your roster has legitimate upside).

• Like 1

https://markbullock.substack.com/p/free-agent-profile-wr-curtis-samuel?r=fd8sn&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy

Free Agent Profile: WR Curtis Samuel

The team drafted Antonio Gibson, a receiver in college that Turner is developing into a running back, in the third round last season. Washington also signed J.D. McKissic, another positionless player that played both running back and wide receiver in college, as a free agent last offseason. Steven Sims Jr. is another player in that mold, though he’s more suited to being a slot receiver with the occasional hand-off on jet sweeps and such. While Samuel could be seen as an upgrade over some or perhaps all of those three, he would prove significantly more costly for a role that Washington already has three players for.