What do you think will happen?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen?

• Impeachment but not conviction
    • Impeachment and conviction 👀
    • Impeachment fails
    • Impeachment is never brought up

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/2021 at 05:00 PM

7 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Listening to the House Managers' detailed account of Trump's actions leading up to and after the election, it occurs to me that if Donald Trump expended half the effort fighting the pandemic as he did fighting the results of the election, the country would have been COVID-free by Thanksgiving.

Trump is an evil, petty, iying sociopath.

I mean, Trump's efforts are universally slapdash and ineffective.  He failed at fighting the results of the election, and he would have failed at stopping covid no matter how much effort he put into it.  He's incompetent and only the world's ****tiest people will work for him, it's not a matter of effort.  

Incompetence

House managers are laying out a very good case, but that constitutionality vote was a mistake and it works to essentially tied the hands of anyone they were hoping to convince.  How are they going to go on record saying the impeachment is unconstitutional and also vote to ban Trump from holding office ever again?  Those are mutually exclusive opinions.  

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

House managers are laying out a very good case, but that constitutionality vote was a mistake and it works to essentially tied the hands of anyone they were hoping to convince.  How are they going to go on record saying the impeachment is unconstitutional and also vote to ban Trump from holding office ever again?  Those are mutually exclusive opinions.  

I suppose in a fantasy world we could pretend that it will give enough Republicans plausible cover to sit out, "protesting", allowing the 55 or so yes votes to reach the 2/3 threshold without their having to vote directly to convict.

It seems the Senate rejecting the Constititionality argument should mean that Senators can't say "its unconstititional".  The Senate just voted that it is Constitutional.  

Why is the media giving them political coverage?  Are they just supposed to mindlessly repeat GOP talking points without pointing out how illogical it is? 

You are voting to convict or not... the Constitutionality question is not on the table. 

6 minutes ago, techboy said:

I suppose in a fantasy world we could pretend that it will give enough Republicans plausible cover to sit out, "protesting", allowing the 55 or so yes votes to reach the 2/3 threshold without their having to vote directly to convict.

At this point it’s a fantasy to believe the Republicans that oppose impeachment are the ones who will need cover when this is done.  The GOPs base largely supported the idea of Trump declaring martial law.  

22 minutes ago, Destino said:

How are they going to go on record saying the impeachment is unconstitutional and also vote to ban Trump from holding office ever again?  Those are mutually exclusive opinions.  

Well, an adult would say “I thought it was unconstitutional, and voted such when we had the vote, but I have been overruled on the constitutionality therefore i am now charged with witnessing the trial and voting on whether he is guilty”

the vote on constitutionality has been resolved. The next vote is whether he’s guilty or not. Two different things. 

I do not expect a single Republican to behave like an adult though. They seem to never do so. 

If the GOP doesn't vote to convict, I don't want to hear the whine about the constitution, Benghazi, bipartisanship, nothing! Ever again! What a bunch of worthless, cowardly, traitorous sacks of ****. Anyone who votes for these people should be put in jail with them, something needs to be done about all of them. I'm tired of this ****, reasoning and logic don't work on them or their constituents. let every red state secede and run themselves into the ground, we don't need them. They're an anchor on this country financially and morally, time to cut them loose once and for all.

10 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

the Constitutionality question is not on the table. 

Oh, I think it is.  

I think the Senate is the judge of whether an action is impeachable or not.  Of whether the Senate has jurisdiction.  Of what is or isn't a "high crime or misdemeanor".  

Now, that's not what they're doing  What they're doing is they've decided in advance that the only time they will vote against a Republican is if said Republican ever places honesty above Perty.  All they're doing with muttering "Constitutionality" is shopping for which cover story they're going to use.  

34 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

It seems the Senate rejecting the Constititionality argument should mean that Senators can't say "its unconstititional".  The Senate just voted that it is Constitutional. 

You are voting to convict or not... the Constitutionality question is not on the table. 

Rep. Jamie Raskin made that very point at the outset of his comments this morning.

I think we need to keep in mind no president has ever been convicted after impeachment. The bar is very very high. Does this deserve it? I think so, but I am mindful of how unlikely this was to ever reach conviction. I just dont see this fact mentioned much as we talk about "of course he should be convicted."

The problem is the scope of the problem. To us, on this board, it is about Trump. However, for many it is about a group or a movement with whom a large portion of the U.S. has identified for years. If Trump said these things and nobody listened, we wouldnt be having these threads. The problem is expecting people to look at what these people, many of whom fought like us at some point, did on Jan 6 and say they were duped like we were (the we here is Republican voters).

Not many have the inner reflection to realise they were duped, and only somw of those have the most to stand up and call the leader of a movement they themselves once belonged to, a crook, a liar, and/or guilty of a high crime. I think we should moderate our expectations a bit, and not just because the voters in this trial are politicians. We should expect less because they are humans conditioned for years to believe the R stands not just for Republican, but also for righteous.

If Trump isn’t convicted it’s because republicans are willing to excuse anything for politics.  The case is clear and Trump began making the case for violence long before the election.  He told people that trust him that their country was being stolen.  Let’s be clear here, that is a great reason to become violent.  Trump told these people they had cause for violence and then assembled them on that day, pointed them the Capitol, and told them to fight to stop the steal.  They did exactly what he asked of them and after the fact many of them have said exactly that.  

Trump shouldn’t just be barred from holding office, he should be jailed.  

30 minutes ago, Destino said:

If Trump isn’t convicted it’s because republicans are willing to excuse anything for politics.  

This has been the case for quite a while now.  This case is just the most recent and egregious example.  Trump will not be convicted.

35 minutes ago, China said:

This has been the case for quite a while now.  This case is just the most recent and egregious example.  Trump will not be convicted.

But Jake Tapper made a pretty good point.  This impeachment trial will likely not result in a conviction, but it WILL cement his legacy.  THIS is what history will remember about Donald J. Trump.  Regardless of the outcome of this trial.

3 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Listening to the House Managers' detailed account of Trump's actions leading up to and after the election, it occurs to me that if Donald Trump expended half the effort fighting the pandemic as he did fighting the results of the election, the country would have been COVID-free by Thanksgiving.

Trump is an evil, petty, iying sociopath.

And he would have won re-election.

42 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

But Jake Tapper made a pretty good point.  This impeachment trial will likely not result in a conviction, but it WILL cement his legacy.  THIS is what history will remember about Donald J. Trump.  Regardless of the outcome of this trial.

Meh.  Not enough.  I agree with Destino that he should be in jail.  Being convicted in the Senate and prevented from ever holding public office should be a minimum.  But we won't get that.

I have a question, if found that he can't hold office, can he still RUN for office? I would love from him to be barred from running, but have his supporters write in his name when they vote. The Dems would clean up on elections until he is a dead, sack of worms in the ground.

Archived