Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The article soft-pedals it, but you don't hire a congressional insider to lobby state officials for a MD/VA stadium. It's clear as day that RFK is the goal. As it should be.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, profusion said:

The article soft-pedals it, but you don't hire a congressional insider to lobby state officials for a MD/VA stadium. It's clear as day that RFK is the goal. As it should be.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, profusion said:

I'm in Richmond so I don't know the area, but the article mentioned a stadium on the banks of the Anacostia River. That sounds like it's not necessarily the old RFK site.

Getting House-passed legislation through the Senate that would allow Bowser to negotiate with Harris on a potential package for a stadium on the banks of the Anacostia River.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I think about it the more that a DC return seems unlikely especially after DC just shelled out 500 mil to keep the Caps and Wiz in DC. Combine that with the Nats and I'm not sure they have the bank to have the Commanders move in.

It's possible that the Commanders could foot the bill but after spending 6 bil to buy the team I don't think the ownership is too interested in their own funds being used to build a stadium.

Again, I hope this isn't the case. Ideally all 4 teams play in DC, but this is not a fairy tale world and budgets exist.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The more I think about it the more that a DC return seems unlikely especially after DC just shelled out 500 mil to keep the Caps and Wiz in DC. Combine that with the Nats and I'm not sure they have the bank to have the Commanders move in.

It's possible that the Commanders could foot the bill but after spending 6 bil to buy the team I don't think the ownership is too interested in their own funds being used to build a stadium.

Again, I hope this isn't the case. Ideally all 4 teams play in DC, but this is not a fairy tale world and budgets exist.

New Stadium adjacent to the current site then? I think this is where it will ends up but that would make for a cluster parking situation for years during the construction 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

If Harris can find a way to build a development around the new stadium that's a separate profit center, then the smart money goes there regardless of whether the local jurisdiction chips in for it.

Regardless, he might have the advantage that DC is in pretty desperate straits right now in terms of downtown being half empty or more, and that precious stream of tax revenue being in danger. The DC gov needs something shiny and positive to take attention away from the problems the city has right now. If that's the goal, they'll find the money and bulldoze the obstacles.

Edited by profusion

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 7:22 PM, Andre The Giant said:

Hopefully the team takes the more advantageous Maryland option next to FedEx since DC has so many hurdles. 

Edited by spjunkies
  • Like 2

I listened to Senator Dianes on the radio. He didn’t come off as particularly intelligent to me and I’ll leave it at that. Suffice it to say we are looking at this thing being submarined for politics sake and nothing else.

Not because the city wants or doesn’t want it. Not because the fans do or don’t want it. Not because the neighborhood does or doesn’t want it. None of that matters, just what someone from Montana wants is all that matters. Montana.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Not because the city wants or doesn’t want it. Not because the fans do or don’t want it. Not because the neighborhood does or doesn’t want it. None of that matters, just what someone from Montana wants is all that matters. Montana.

To be fair, the person who headed up the committee in the House was from Pennsylvania.

Ultimately, I think it ends up on the RFK site. NIMBYs will always complain--they complained about Nats Park. I am sure they complained about Cap One/Verizon Center/MCI/Etc. Billionaires usually get what they want.