Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's still under contract for next season. There is no need to make any sort of commitment. And I still don't think he's a long term franchise QB answer. But at the very least he makes a good bridge QB till we find one and don't have to resort to moving up a bunch of future 1sts for someone like Malik Willis in this upcoming draft.

Extending him for 3 year 30 mil,  locks him at 4 year 35 mil.  That’s the price for 1 year of a franchise qb and yes we absolutely need to lock him in before he  gets  too much leverage 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Extending him for 3 year 30 mil,  locks him at 4 year 35 mil.  That’s the price for 1 year of a franchise qb and yes we absolutely need to lock him in before he  gets  too much leverage 

And if we end up drafting a guy then we're committing $10+ mil to a backup. When we have to give long term deals to McLaurin, Payne, Sweat, etc...

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

And if we end up drafting a guy then we're committing $10+ mil to a backup. When we have to give long term deals to McLaurin, Payne, Sweat, etc...

Meh, only one of those 3 guys would be a significant loss and I don't even have to say which one. There's a draft for a reason, you only should re-sign your absolute best players unless you are getting a bargain contract. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

To be fair, some people were saying this same thing after he had a couple decent games early in the season and then he had several stinkers in a row after that.

It's way too early to be talking seriously about something like this. I think it's incredibly unlikely that Rivera and the FO are even considering it at the moment. I think you may be overestimating how much "leverage" Heinicke has. There are probably a couple teams who wouldn't mind having him but probably not for a huge price and probably not for anything more than a 5th round pick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Honestly, to me one of the main things is how the coaches respond and talk. So far Rivera and the FO have been pretty upfront about wanting to find an upgrade at QB after this season is done and acknowledging that they need to find their guy. That doesn't necessarily mean that Heinicke can't convince them that he can be that guy, but to me it sounds like it could be an uphill battle.

You nailed it, after coming off the bench last season and immediately turning this offense around and scoring points, then having a very good playoff appearance against who would be Super Bowl Champions, they still went out and got another QB to start this season. Heinicke has potential, and he is fighting an uphill battle. That's another thing I love about this kid, he is a fighter and he is making this a difficult decision. I like this kid and he will continue to get better. 

Not so long ago, actually about a month ago, EVERYONE in the sporting world was asking 'what happened to Mahomes?'

Yes, it is true! He and the Chiefs went through a spurt where they were 4-4, but I doubt there was anyone calling for Mahomes to be traded. 

The same can be said about most every other QB; there are games where they don't play well but they work through it. TH is no different.

The desire for a QB who can throw the ball 150 mph and throw it for 121 yds per pass is just not seeing the opportunity right now.

If they can get Logan Thomas back, Gibson stops fumbling, and the defense { mostly the secondary } starts playing like they should, this team can go far. The more

TH plays, the more experience he gets, the better communication he develops with his receivers, and all other aspects feed off of each other, If he's not given the

opportunities to audible, its a loss. 

Let's just see how the rest of the season goes before wanting to bench him; he may just surprise us all, like he's done the last few weeks...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The cap is massively expanding due to the new tv deal. You extend him and you get a team friendly exit year 2. Plus 8 mil a year average for next 4 for even a good backup is actually very reasonable. The rookie would be dirt cheap so total dollars in the qb room would be minuscule relative to other teams. The issue is paying Rodgers or Wilson 35 and an extra 8 to TH. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Of course he will. He has had two decent game. That’s it. Let’s not get carried away. That contract For injury only gtd I can work with.

Four if we count the Giants and Falcons game from earlier in the season.  Hes become far more efficient since the bye week, remains to be seen if he keeps it up, because it looked like he wore down during the losing skid.  But have to give credit where credit is due.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

TH is a great backup QB. I love the dude and I want him on the team. He’s had some nice moments this year. 

But anybody that thinks we should consider him as a possible long term solution at QB is just crazy. I mean, is it wishful thinking? Desperation? Trolling?

I just don’t get it. I can enjoy the guy and still know that we have to upgrade at QB if we want to compete for a championship.

So if we drafted a guy next year and he played like Heinicke has for 10 games you would declare him a back up?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

TH is a "system" guy.  He's not interchangeable with most other teams.  He doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to 💩 on his first real starting opportunity over a couple million $.  He was taking advanced math finals last year; he can do the calculus.  No need to extend him now.

8 hours ago, mojo said:

So if we drafted a guy next year and he played like Heinicke has for 10 games you would declare him a back up?

If TH didn’t play for the Redskins would you be out there banging the table for us to sign him? Would anybody be out there screaming “sign Taylor Heinicke!!!” 😆

I doubt it. This is a feel good story turned into a delusional dream by a bunch of QB starved, desperate fans. 

And that’s okay. I’m a QB starved desperate fan too. And we’re all a family even when we disagree. 

• Like 5

Heinicke has been the main reason we have won in each of the 4 wins.  This team would be no better than 4-6 if Fitzpatrick stayed healthy.  But I feel like recency bias is having people forget how painfully medicore (and sometimes awful) he played in the 4 game losing streak.  Hopefully that streak has flipped for the next few games.  

56 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

If TH didn’t play for the Redskins would you be out there banging the table for us to sign him? Would anybody be out there screaming “sign Taylor Heinicke!!!” 😆

I doubt it. This is a feel good story turned into a delusional dream by a bunch of QB starved, desperate fans. 

And that’s okay. I’m a QB starved desperate fan too. And we’re all a family even when we disagree. 

Signing him to monster deal now is about as silly as saying “he’s a back up” w/ 10 games under his belt.

That said,  how many years did we give a bum like Jason Campbell bc we drafted him?  Heinicke has made more impact plays in his short stint than Campbell did his entire career here.

Let it play out.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mojo said:

Signing him to monster deal now is about as silly as saying “he’s a back up” w/ 10 games under his belt.

That said,  how many years did we give a bum like Jason Campbell bc we drafted him?  Heinicke has made more impact plays in his short stint than Campbell did his entire career here.

Let it play out.

I mean yeah, Heinicke is better than Campbell. But Campbell was straight up bad. Heinicke ranks somewhere in the 15-20 range for QBs.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean yeah, Heinicke is better than Campbell. But Campbell was straight up bad. Heinicke ranks somewhere in the 15-20 range for QBs.

Ranks 15 -20 after 10 games with Terry and Mackass being the only weapons.  Let's talk after he plays for 3 years......Campbell was terrible and we gave him 4 years. Some on this board want him as a backup no matter what he does the rest of this year. He is 4 and 6 with almost 0 supporting cast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Heinicke has been the main reason we have won in each of the 4 wins.  This team would be no better than 4-6 if Fitzpatrick stayed healthy.  But I feel like recency bias is having people forget how painfully medicore (and sometimes awful) he played in the 4 game losing streak.  Hopefully that streak has flipped for the next few games.  

Nope, I'm seeing what I had hoped to see.  How many times have we seen a QB come out of nowhere and light it up? Almost every season really.  Usually, there isn't much film on the player and it takes a while for the defense to pick him apart.  Take away what he does best and make him adjust his game.  You know the QB was just a flash in the pan if he was unable to take his game to another level.  However, if the QB is able to survive a four game skid and make the necessary adjustments to improve then you're looking at real gold.  Maybe not 24 carrot.  Time will tell.  But gold is gold.  

I love how all the negative Nancys completely gloss over the fact that Heinicke is working with Goodwill caliber receivers.  Mahomes struggled but never lost Kelce, Hill, and a whole host of speedy receivers.  Heinicke has Terry and that's the ONLY player who could no doubt start for any NFL team in the league.  Carter, the 2nd best option, was a career kick/punt returner before this season.  He's working with a rookie 3rd string TE.  If Gibson didn't have fumblitis (especially in the red zone) yesterday's game would probably have been over before the 4th quarter began.  The O-line is playing exceptionally well for all the adversity they're going thru as far as injury and shuffling.  You don't think that maybe even a little of their exceptional effort is because they understand that if they can give #4 some time he will find a way to help them win?  

Whichever rookie you draft you're going to go thru the same process.  You will have to see what that player does when the league catches up.  There are no guaranted starters coming out of college.  You never know what you'll get but you can see what you have now week to week.  A straight up baller who loves football and will do anything to win. 

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This is the thought process that got Kirk booted after we dragged our feet. Heinicke  can ball and he’s a leader. You can’t discount that part too much these days. I don’t think the team was fond of RG3 or Kirk that much. The guys love TH. 

Campbell is not the correct comparison. Campbell was a check machine and played with fear. He beat like 1 or 2 teams who ended up with a winning record his whole time here. TH is closer to Trent Green in my opinion.

• Like 2

If Heini was worth a big contract, we would have gone up a TD in the 4rth, instead of hitting FGs. He is not accurate on deep balls and doesn't have the arm for it. 

He was also not planting his feet and just winging it, which he should know better and not be having mechanic issues at this stage of his career. He may only have 10 starts, but it's not something you ignore watching your back ups throw. Even in the XFL or college. 

• Like 1