Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Winter Weather Thread

China

In Rockville we got more than the 1-3 they said.  Just cleaned my car and driveway off and its like 4-5 inches.  I was surprised.  I'm so used to the weather people being wrong all the time and they have kind of nailed these or under-predicted the amount this past week.   It was cold as **** outside too and windy.

Snowy, blowy, bright wintery morning here in Delawhere? Maybe 2-ish inches, everything's clean and bright for a couple hours. Nowhere to go, stocked up with firewood and a cheery blaze going. Exactly the kind of winter morning I look forward to.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Winter storm leads to pileup involving up to 75 vehicles on Interstate 64 in Kentucky

A massive pileup involving up to 75 vehicles blocked Interstate 64 in Kentucky for hours Thursday as the region was battered by a winter storm, officials said.

As the cold blast hit in the afternoon, police received calls about vehicles "off the roadway" in Montgomery County in the eastern part of the state, Montgomery County Sheriff David Charles said in a news release.

At 12:54 p.m., I-64 was closed from exit 101 and exit 110 “due to 50-75 vehicles wrecked or immovable," the sheriff's office said.

One eastbound lane opened at about 5:30 p.m. and westbound lanes opened at 8:35 p.m. — nearly seven hours after the highway was initially closed. 

In an update at about 12:25 a.m. Friday, officials said there were delays on the roads and officers were distributing water and fuel to those in need.

He urged motorists to avoid roadways due to “multiple wrecks” across the county.

In a tweet, Kentucky State Police also said I-64 was closed at mile marker 179 “due to a tractor trailer jack knifed.” Several other highways in the area “are solid ICE," state troopers said in another tweet.

The chaos in Kentucky comes after the I-95 shutdown in Virginia on Monday that left drivers stranded in their cars for hours due to a big-rig accident and treacherous road conditions from the first mid-Atlantic snowstorm of the year. The interstate finally reopened after nearly 30 hours. 

Click on the link for the full article

Evacuations ordered due to imminent flooding from heavy rain and snow in Washington state

Record rain and snow will cause floods, possible landslides, and higher avalanche risks across western Washington state, with more forecast to fall through the weekend.

Residents living in the Skokomish Valley area of Mason County are under an evacuation order due to rising water and "imminent flooding," the county said in a news release.

The alert, issued Thursday, told people to "evacuate the area immediately or be prepared to shelter in place for at least 72 hours."

More road closures on Friday are expected, the release added.

On 1/6/2022 at 7:09 AM, tshile said:

Northam declared a state of emergency. 

For the three inches of snow we may get tonight

…..

I've changed my mind, I now want to see the Michael Jackson impression his wife deprived of us during his press conference. 

He should moonwalk off the stage during the swearing in of the next governor.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Don’t worry about it. euro and cmc show a cutter, only ne getting in the action and the prior and next several gfs runs showed OTS. 

image.gif.1076a0070e004c433458502620f43691.gif

same time period over four different gfs runs.

In English please?

I got the don’t worry about it part.  I can do that.  The rest?  Notsomuch

Edited by stoshuaj

26 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

In English please?

I got the don’t worry about it part.  I can do that.  The rest?  Notsomuch

There is no continuity in the models. No agreement. If all the models showed the same thing (at this point a large storm somewhere between the Appalachians or just off coast) or if one model was persistent in calling for one, the you want to keep an eye out. 

In this case, only one run from one model shows anything large for the mid Atlantic. It is a “bingo” run.  It was cherry picked.

The CMC and Euro models have nothing like this on any runs, and the GFS doesn’t show anything like it either except for the one run.

The Northeast has multiple chances for big storms though. And overall this sort of pattern coming up for the next few weeks(+PDO -NAO)  is favorable for big coastal somewhere at some point, however that particular run is suspect for the reasons I listed above.

OTS is out to sea, meaning too far offshore to throw precious onto land.

A cutter is a frontal system that cuts down from the Great Lakes toward the east coast, usually only get snow in the north east because of the mountains wringing all the moisture out of the front before getting to the mid Atlantic.

Edit: 12z model runs CMC and GFS show a storm, well off the coast.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

US is hit by fresh winter weather warnings of -40F weather that can cause frostbite in MINUTES, up to a foot of snow in the Northeast, and fresh tornado warnings for millions in the south

A powerful cold front is tearing through the eastern US and is expected to bring -40 degree weather to the northeast in the coming days.

About 10 million people were already under wind chill advisories in the Midwest on Sunday, where wind chills are expected to plummet to -25 to -40 degrees on Monday, and by Tuesday, the National Weather Service predicts interior parts of the Northeast and New England could face below zero temperatures.

The Service warns that parts of northern New York and New England could see wind chills of between 35 and 40 below zero between 7pm Monday to 3pm on Tuesday that could cause 'frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 10 minutes.'

The bitter cold is expected to arrive in the North Central states on Monday, with temperatures in Chicago expected to remain in the mid teens, according to AccuWeather. The Windy City usually has temperatures right around the freezing mark at this time of the year. 

Cities further up north, like Duluth, Minnesota and Grand Forks, North Dakota, won't have their temperatures rise above zero degrees all day on Monday, AccuWeather forecasters predict. But according to AccuWeather Meteorologist Mary Gilbert, 'the coldest air of the season thus far will arrive for a majority of the Northeast and portions of the mid-Atlantic by Tuesday as arctic air plunges into the northern US.'

The coldest wind chill values will likely occur between 2am and 11am on Tuesday, the National Weather Service predicts.  

52739667-10385483-image-a-16_16417907897

52739661-10385483-image-a-19_16417907983