Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Winter Weather Thread

China

Winter is awesome, snow is awesome!! The problem is people/places of work dont believe weather forecasts. We have failed many times with this scenario like yesterday. But most of the time it is late Feb or March. We can not over come the sun angle. Everyone shuts down and then everyone laughs at us. People got up yesterday at 5-7am and was like oh here we go again. It was 70 yesterday no way this sticks. Guess what, Jan sun angle and snow rates can over come warm ground.   

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Destino said:

yeah this isn’t the way things normally work out.  I thought you needed cold leading up to a snow storm, but apparently that wasn’t as essential as I thought.  With the temps expected tonight in NoVa (17 degrees)… whatever isn’t cleared today is likely to be frozen hard by morning.  

12 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Not sure why people like snow or winter, **** like that happens. Imagine trying to go to work and driving on the bridge being stuck for hours.

snow creates unsafe and unpredictable conditions on the roads... and gorgeous and enjoyable conditions near the home (as long as it is a relatively rare and exciting thing).

stay home and enjoy the snow with your family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In taking my new job I started about 6 months ago I wasn’t going to work for a place that forced you to come in on days you obviously shouldn’t. Now if the schools where I live are closed I get to stay home.  My wife is setting here right now worried about the crap she is going to get if she doesn’t go to work today.  I’m over that.  Wish she would get a different job. 

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Not sure why people like snow or winter

I’m not a fan of cold weather unless it’s going to snow. I have no use for cold weather without snow. 

So this situation is perfect to me. It’s warm. Then one day it gets cold and dumps almost a foot of snow. It’s perfect. 

but to your point - it’s unfortunate but many people make bad decisions with regards to snow. That includes people responsible for making decisions about their employees and working or working from home. I’ll never understand why when it snows, a sizable portion of this area decide to just behave normally as if nothing different is going on. 

if you can’t drive in the snow - then don’t. End of story. 

i can drive in the snow great. When I was 15/16 my dad took me to commuter lots during snow storms and made me spin around in circles and practice counter steering and correction. And there have been multiple times it’s saved me. Btw a early/mid 90’s civic handled snow so incredibly well….  But, even I avoid driving as much as possible because of all the idiots out there. 

Anyways. Snow is great. As usual it’s just people that suck. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

Here’s the kids sledding down the hill that’s part of the horse farm next to my property. This place has the best views.  This was just as the sun was setting. That’s the blue ridge mountains in the background. absolutely monster hill with nothing to worry about them hitting 

34C9D2F4-888D-4087-B5F7-566584A1BABB.thumb.jpeg.73e0efaea310d5a89ffe26767f4067ad.jpeg457C36D7-6024-4097-8C0E-C51D469D96F2.thumb.jpeg.09f9b02d908a0377f1a387e5ea31e12f.jpeg

Here’s how I clear my driveway 😂 it’s 650 feet long. The bottom 150 feet are basically 3 lanes wide (which is perfect for parking for a big party). Takes me 20 minutes to clear the whole thing 😂 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 7
  • Thumb up 2

Ugh, a few years ago I was working at a job in Warrenton ( I was living in Manassas at the time) and word got out it was going to snow...then it started to snow at about 1pm. Quitting time was at 4, so no one wanted to be the first to leave. I told everyone that since I was in a car (one of the only people), if it kept snowing, I was going to leave. Every dumbass there tried to tell me it was fine, stay until 4pm, you'll be fine. At 2:30, the roads were bad and getting worse, so I left. There were so many accidents that day, someone actually died right in front of my boss's house.

It pisses me off that so many people would put my life in danger...for what? Whether I stayed or not had no bearing on what they were doing, people are stupid.

When I was a teenager, my car broke down on the side of the road when there was a ton of snow on the ground.  I was not dressed to weather it out at all.  I had to walk several miles just to get to a gas station to call someone.  Longest walk of my life.  Now I always have a survival bag in my truck in case something similar ever happens again.  I wish more people did this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

School was supposed to resume Wednesday. They canceled that yesterday. I get it, they missed their teacher work day and need it. 

but now they’ve cancelled school Thursday. 

Thursday. 

it snowed Monday morning. 

Damn sissies. 

Am I missing anything? 

35 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

When I was a teenager, my car broke down on the side of the road when there was a ton of snow on the ground.  I was not dressed to weather it out at all.  I had to walk several miles just to get to a gas station to call someone.  Longest walk of my life.  Now I always have a survival bag in my truck in case something similar ever happens again.  I wish more people did this.

Me too.  A blanket, change of clothes, a six-pack of water, 2 blood pressure pills, aspirin, and a full first aid kit. 

I'd carry extra gas, but it's an open-bed pickup...full crew cab, tho...plenty of room if I have to sleep in the back.  Am I missing anything? 

I have duct tape too.  :)

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Ugh, a few years ago I was working at a job in Warrenton ( I was living in Manassas at the time) and word got out it was going to snow...then it started to snow at about 1pm. Quitting time was at 4, so no one wanted to be the first to leave. I told everyone that since I was in a car (one of the only people), if it kept snowing, I was going to leave. Every dumbass there tried to tell me it was fine, stay until 4pm, you'll be fine. At 2:30, the roads were bad and getting worse, so I left. There were so many accidents that day, someone actually died right in front of my boss's house.

It pisses me off that so many people would put my life in danger...for what? Whether I stayed or not had no bearing on what they were doing, people are stupid.

I would have quit that job. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Am I missing anything? 

Me too.  A blanket, change of clothes, a six-pack of water, 2 blood pressure pills, aspirin, and a full first aid kit. 

I'd carry extra gas, but it's an open-bed pickup...full crew cab, tho...plenty of room if I have to sleep in the back.  Am I missing anything? 

I have duct tape too.  :)

I big stack of those hand warmer packs.

• Thanks 1