Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

Not that they checked, but I got mine because of technicalities. My BMI was 30 and I take two asthma meds that, on a google search, are categorized as "immunosuppresives".

I had some ethical qualms but when I saw that at this rural hospital about an hour away from me (affiliated with my local hospital system) had dozens of vaccine appointments on multiple days, I was fairly confident I wasn't keeping anyone from getting it.

At work, they aren't telling us who has it. They are hiding behind HIPAA. In the same vein, vaccine administrators can't ask for your eligibility for the same reason.

• Like 5

What happens to those who don't get the COVID-19 vaccine?

Research has shown what happens to people who get the COVID-19 vaccine: They gain solid protection against severe disease and symptoms from the virus that has infected more than 30 million in the United States and killed a over half-million Americans.

But what about those people who don't get vaccinated, whether due to legitimate health issues, concerns about safety or effectiveness, or maybe for political reasons?

"We know what will happen to them," said Dr. John Swartzberg, an infectious disease and vaccinology professor emeritus at UC Berkeley. "With a virus that is as contagious as this one and becoming more contagious due to variants, people who decide not to get vaccinated are likely over time to get infected," said Swartzberg. "Ultimately, the people who chose to not get vaccinated will contribute to herd immunity by the fact that they got infected."

From a societal standpoint, he said people who skip the vaccine could compromise the safety of others.

"We need to get to herd immunity to protect those people who can’t get vaccinated," he said. "They’re delaying the safety for all of us. I hear everyone saying deciding to get vaccinated is an individual choice, but the calculus in that choice is twofold — one is to vaccinate yourself and the other is protect others. I think we have a responsibility to protect our communities."

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, China said:

What happens to those who don't get the COVID-19 vaccine?

Click on the link for the full article

I think if people who have no medical reason for not getting vaccinated, get ill from COVID they go to the back of the line for medical care.

The main concern, always has been, was to flatten the curve and not overwhelm our hospital systems. If you choose not to get vaccinated and you get COVID you forfeit your right to be "next up" for medical treament IF there is a strain on healthcare resources.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

Not that they checked, but I got mine because of technicalities. My BMI was 30 and I take two asthma meds that, on a google search, are categorized as "immunosuppresives".

At work, they aren't telling us who has it. They are hiding behind HIPAA. In the same vein, vaccine administrators can't ask for your eligibility for the same reason.

I take Singulair to control my asthma and it's listed as one (immunosuppressant). Personally, anyone with a compromised pulmonary system really should have been eligible early on and should be getting the flu shot every year as well. 

As for HIPAA, sometimes I feel the same way but my work (state dept of health) at least does contact tracing and alerts anyone who has contact with a fellow employee who tested positive. I believe that's the very most they can legally do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

I think if people who have no medical reason for not getting vaccinated, get ill from COVID they go to the back of the line for medical care.

The main concern, always has been, was to flatten the curve and not overwhelm our hospital systems. If you choose not to get vaccinated and you get COVID you forfeit your right to be "next up" for medical treament IF there is a strain on healthcare resources.

I doubt we’ll have any healthcare resource constraints moving forward. Once we get to 80% immunity (through combo of vaccines and infections) the virus will be present in our communities consistently but we won’t see any huge waves that will overwhelm our hospitals. 

On a related topic... I shared the saga of my in-laws before. My wife’s grandfather got vaccinated a week ago and her grandmother yesterday after lucking into a J&J shot. She never relented on not getting the mRNA ones. Now my wife’s mom has also picked up on the anti-mRNA shot thought process and saying she’ll wait for J&J. She’s also taking no steps to proactively get the shot, though she and her husband are both doing a fairly good job at not exposing themselves to risky situations.

Now, my wife’s father is a whole different story altogether. We’ve been pushing him to get his shot for a couple weeks and I finally spoke with him this morning about it (he’d been ignoring our texts and calls up until now). He was legitimately pissed we were trying to get him vaccinated. He’s convinced that the vaccines are experimental drugs that alter his otherwise phenomenal immune system and make him fully reliant on vaccines going forward. Simultaneously views covid as no worse than the flu but also subscribes to the theory that it was created in a lab and that there are actually multiple different viruses circulating in the population that are doing different things. We haven’t spent indoor time with him for over a year... he’s resentful about it because we do spend time with my family and my wife’s mom’s family, but he’s reckless and doesn’t do basic things like wear masks in his office. So yeah we’re apparently the bad people for “cutting him off” from his grandkids and trying to force him to get vaccinated. I should note that while he’s never been terribly interested in politics before, he’s absolutely fallen down the Trump-related Facebook rabbit holes in the past two years. 

• Sad 3

19 hours ago, goskins10 said:

No, there is literally no correlation at all. The vaccine does not deliver the virus. It is all about your immune system. Here is a pretty good breakdown in cartoon form. Not being a doctor it really helped me understand the entire process in layman's terms. I hope it let me add the .pdf.   If it does not, will take screen shots of all the pages. 

Understanding the Vaccine Comic Book(1).pdf 6.28 MB · 10 downloads

That was really great, thank you.   

Let's party!  

• Like 2

These are the side effects from the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine

• One patient said she got severe chills, shakes and muscle aches hours after getting the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
  • Another patient said she had chills in the middle of the night and a headache. She was fully recovered by the next night.
  • One patient said she had a high fever, chills and a headache that lasted for five days.
  • One other patient said she felt tired and cold, and she got a fever that lasted for 12 hours.

Which vaccine creates most side effects?

Per Business Insider, fewer people had reactions to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine compared to those who got other vaccines such as Pfizer or Moderna.

Are side effects normal?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said the vaccine “will help protect you from getting sick with COVID-19. Some people may have mild side effects after vaccination, which are normal signs that your body is building protection against the disease.”

• Per the CDC, experts suggest that “reactions are an indication that the immune system is responding to the perceived threat — the vaccine — and developing immunity. Coronavirus antibodies should begin to appear about two weeks after the first jab, and maximum protection is obtained about two weeks after the second injection.”

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2021/3/26/22350182/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-side-effects-symptoms

Edited by zskins
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I doubt we’ll have any healthcare resource constraints moving forward. Once we get to 80% immunity (through combo of vaccines and infections) the virus will be present in our communities consistently but we won’t see any huge waves that will overwhelm our hospitals. 

On a related topic... I shared the saga of my in-laws before. My wife’s grandfather got vaccinated a week ago and her grandmother yesterday after lucking into a J&J shot. She never relented on not getting the mRNA ones. Now my wife’s mom has also picked up on the anti-mRNA shot thought process and saying she’ll wait for J&J. She’s also taking no steps to proactively get the shot, though she and her husband are both doing a fairly good job at not exposing themselves to risky situations.

Now, my wife’s father is a whole different story altogether. We’ve been pushing him to get his shot for a couple weeks and I finally spoke with him this morning about it (he’d been ignoring our texts and calls up until now). He was legitimately pissed we were trying to get him vaccinated. He’s convinced that the vaccines are experimental drugs that alter his otherwise phenomenal immune system and make him fully reliant on vaccines going forward. Simultaneously views covid as no worse than the flu but also subscribes to the theory that it was created in a lab and that there are actually multiple different viruses circulating in the population that are doing different things. We haven’t spent indoor time with him for over a year... he’s resentful about it because we do spend time with my family and my wife’s mom’s family, but he’s reckless and doesn’t do basic things like wear masks in his office. So yeah we’re apparently the bad people for “cutting him off” from his grandkids and trying to force him to get vaccinated. I should note that while he’s never been terribly interested in politics before, he’s absolutely fallen down the Trump-related Facebook rabbit holes in the past two years. 

Sounds like COVID denial isn't the only good reason to keep your kids away from him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Now, my wife’s father is a whole different story altogether.

My wife's family, particularly her parents are full on Qanon and are not getting the vax. Although they are not getting it for "Catholic" reasons. I'll drive a truck through those plot holes some other time.

My mother-in-law takes low dose chemo drugs for rheumatoid arthritis which suppresses her immune system. She should get vaxxed. But won't. Her sister has been an antivaxxer for decades now. She got offended when we wouldn't let the cousins come see our newborn in the hospital. It was our fault for not communicating that earlier. 

The thing that concerns me is the rise of variants. We don't know if infections makes you immune to all strains or just the one you had. I know at least one other person who has had COVID twice!

Once we have stock available for every adult, we start a deadline, a countdown clock—"We'll be shipping 80% of our existing stock and upcoming stock to developing nations in 60 days." You may not have a shot available if you change your mind. I'd artificially create scarcity.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, zskins said:

These are the side effects from the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine

• One patient said she got severe chills, shakes and muscle aches hours after getting the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
  • Another patient said she had chills in the middle of the night and a headache. She was fully recovered by the next night.
  • One patient said she had a high fever, chills and a headache that lasted for five days.
  • One other patient said she felt tired and cold, and she got a fever that lasted for 12 hours.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Sounds like COVID denial isn't the only good reason to keep your kids away from him.

I mean easy to say without any context right? But he’s a good man and a good grandfather. He’s just so woefully misinformed on many topics...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I take Singulair to control my asthma and it's listed as one (immunosuppressant). Personally, anyone with a compromised pulmonary system really should have been eligible early on and should be getting the flu shot every year as well.

Singulair and Breo for me. Well Breo is a corticosteriod and here that's on the list for 1A. My doc also gave me a "just in case" pneumonia vax back in June.

I had to go to the ER last spring. Allergies were so bad, never had them that bad ever. I was seriously winded taking the garbage can to the curb that night. It's a long, uphill driveway. But still. Like last weekend, I played soccer for 90 minutes no problem. So struggling for breath taking the trash out was concerning.

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I mean easy to say without any context right? But he’s a good man and a good grandfather. He’s just so woefully misinformed on many topics...

This has been the problem with the past 4 years and the same thing with my in-laws. Good people who have fallen off the reality wagon.

• Like 2

First dose of the Moderna little while ago. Vaccinations are being done at the community center with the National Guard helping out. Really well done operation from start to finish. 1 more dose to go.  

• Like 12

2 hours ago, PCS said:

First dose of the Moderna little while ago. Vaccinations are being done at the community center with the National Guard helping out. Really well done operation from start to finish. 1 more dose to go.  

Initially I thought the folks running the FEMA site here were National Guard as well. Sure dressed like em. Turns out they're actually Air Force. 

Edited by clietas
  • Like 2

Side effects so far, or at least they could be considered side effects. I'm tired so much that I just took a couple hour nap. That might be because I've had some early and active (for me) days this week. I had some chills, my arm is sore like last time. I'm thirsty like last time too. 

1 hour ago, ShredSkins said:

Got my 2nd Moderna shot yesterday afternoon. I am absolutely worthless today. Fever and headache this morning now just so tired and body aches.

Perfect. Your immune system is working. 

You will be fine tomorrow though. I got the fever and stuff the next day as well after the 2nd shot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I feel this pain as well.

I've seen a lot of people lose family over Trump, that's just not a place I'm willing to go.  I realize it's almost inconceivable that people who get joy from 'owning the libs', love Trump, and think vaccines are microchips, can be good decent people, but they actually can.  

12 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

I’m taking the moral high ground and waiting until my group (1C) opens up but I ‘m not mad at people cutting the line.  That’s just the world we live in.

I don't think you should worry about "cutting the line" at this point. There seem to be plenty of vaccines. M&T bank Stadium i think did away with groups and just had people show up with appointments. The more people can get vaccinated the closer we reach heard immunity. Waiting your "turn" doesn't necessarily help and it doesn't help people who are too sick to get the vaccine. 

My cousins for instance found a place across the bridge in SE DC that was set up to vaccinate the local community but the local community wasn't showing up the way they had hoped. I think there a lot of people who don't want to get this vaccine. I signed up because of my job and got a call from both DC and my healthcare provider within a couple of days that I could get the vaccine. 

There is no morale highround in waiting your turn. The more people are vaccinated and faster, the better.

Edited by Florgon79
  • Like 1