Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

I got my vaccine over 6 months ago. Am I no longer protected?

I could Google but wanted to see if anyone has any other insight on the matter.

You are still assuming you got both shots (or 1 with J&J).

Which one did you get? If J&J, I know they are talking about a booster needed sooner than later although I haven't seen it officially offered 

Edited by The Evil Genius

15 minutes ago, zskins said:

I got my vaccine over 6 months ago. Am I no longer protected?

I could Google but wanted to see if anyone has any other insight on the matter.

From what I gave read they do not have enough data to say for Moderna and J&J.  Pfizer looks to be 84% prevention after 6 months with 97% protection against serious illness (having to hospitalized).  

anyone know anything different? 

Edited by goskins10

22 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

From what I gave read they do not have enough data to say for Moderna and J&J.  Pfizer looks to be 84% prevention after 6 months with 97% protection against serious illness (having to hospitalized).  

Moderna said yesterday 93% after 6 months. Not sure if that's prevention or protection, but the mRNA's seem to be holding up.

I haven't been seeing any information on the J&J shot. 

• Thanks 2

The article i mentioned earlier.

As Law Firms Return to Office, Anger Over Unvaccinated Colleagues Could Boil Over

https://www.law.com/2021/08/06/as-law-firms-return-to-office-anger-over-unvaccinated-colleagues-could-boil-over-405-88887/

Many of the country’s largest employers, the federal government and many state and local governing bodies have also instituted vaccine mandates. And it is well within private employers’ rights to do so, the EEOC has made clear. 

Several law firm partners, speaking on background, said that, while some people naturally are frustrated over changing protocols and office return dates, they haven’t seen any angry outbursts toward the unvaccinated. 

One partner, a private equity practice head, said they agreed that this is a “national conversation,” but had yet to see much in the area of outed frustration at work.

“I haven’t heard of any people getting mad at others for not getting vaccinated,” they said. “The reality is that so few people come to the office that it doesn’t matter. Anyone concerned about the virus doesn’t show up—and neither do most people who are not concerned about the virus.”

Another partner, head of their firm’s global corporate business unit, said they had also not seen any flareups about the unvaccinated, citing that as of now, the issue isn’t at the forefront for law firms as most are still working remotely. 

“I sense that we’ve just started to see the boiling, now that companies are starting to be much more specific on return-to-work plans,” they said. They went on to say that the sort of vitriol playing out in other areas of society isn’t “that tangible or front and center” for private industry at this point. 

Another attorney at an Am Law 200 firm that has young children said they feel concerned for their kids, but their firm has done a good job of communicating what is going on and why.

“I have two kids, ages 6 years and 18 months.  Obviously they are not vaccinated, which is a big concern,” they said. But they also said that their firm’s vaccine mandate does provide some level of comfort.

“My firm will be mandating all employees be vaccinated as a condition of employment (subject to religious and medical accommodations), which significantly decreases my concern,” the lawyer parent said.

That said, the same lawyer wasn’t shy about stating how they feel about those who have yet to get the vaccine for reasons outside of religious or medical. “I have a great deal of frustration towards those who are unvaccinated and therefore perpetuating the pandemic—and all of its effects on me, my family and the rest of my community—due to their selfish choices,” they said.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShredSkins said:

Moderna said yesterday 93% after 6 months. Not sure if that's prevention or protection, but the mRNA's seem to be holding up.

I haven't been seeing any information on the J&J shot. 

That's what I got. Moderna. My county has made masks mandatory again and I want to be a rebel.... 😂

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

I wonder if anyone explained to him that it's still your immune system that fights off the disease. The vaccine just trains your immune system on how to immediately recognize and fight it well.

That's like saying "I'm going to rely on my own body to perform this athletic event", then when someone asks how they're training for the event...lifting weights, cardio, etc...they say "SCREW THAT, I'M NOT DOING ANY OF THAT CRAP TO MY BODY!"

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Pfizer is 84% at 6 months with an expected drop of 6% every month after that. So 79% at 7 months, 74% at 8 until 58% at 1 year.

I had my mom get her 3rd dose last week. She’s in 80s with bunch of health issues. Went to CVS and said she wasn’t vaccinated. Will obviously skip second dose. It’s happening quite a bit. I will probably get my third dose in September before they officially approve it to avoid the rush once it’s approved. 

19 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Pfizer is 84% at 6 months with an expected drop of 6% every month after that. So 79% at 7 months, 74% at 8 until 58% at 1 year.

I had my mom get her 3rd dose last week. She’s in 80s with bunch of health issues. Went to CVS and said she wasn’t vaccinated. Will obviously skip second dose. It’s happening quite a bit. I will probably get my third dose in September before they officially approve it to avoid the rush once it’s approved. 

While I know that the 1st and 2nd dosage of Pfizer or Moderna were exactly the same,  I had thought the booster was going to differ? I'll be curious how the booster dosage shakes out and if they recommend getting an opposite one for the booster (eg getting Moderna boister if you had Pfizer originally.

Edited by The Evil Genius

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

While I know that the 1st and 2nd dosage of Pfizer or Moderna were exactly the same,  I had thought the booster was going to differ? I'll be curious how the booster dosage shakes out and if they recommend getting an opposite one for the booster (eg getting Moderna boister if you had Pfizer originally.

It’s the same exact dose. At least in Israel and the EUA Pfizer is asking for here. They are doing it in Israel already and in parts of Europe. Some hospitals in US are doing it and once it’s fully FDA approved this month any doctor can prescribe it off label for third dose.  It also supposedly gives 11x the antibodies as you have after second dose. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So for the 3rd dose does anyone know if they are planning mass vaccination sites again or is this going to be more you just show up when they have it in stock and everyone already vaccinated can get it any time (no tiers) ?

It will initially be for immune compromised and elderly. But logistically if the demand is similar they will have to do some mass vax sites to get through that many people. That’s why I’m planning on getting mine as a first dose next month. It will be a s show for a few months in the middle of flu season otherwise.

Btw. I was vaccinated in January. So I’m at 7 months already.

Edited by SoCalSkins

I saw Dr. Vin Gupta on TV a week or so ago promoting this for J&J patients. As a J&J recipient, I'm trying to understand when/if the 'booster' is available. 

Intensive-care unit and lung doctor Dr. Vin Gupta told CNBC that he’s already encouraging patients who received the single-shot Johnson & Johnson Covid vaccine to get a Pfizer or Moderna booster shot amid the dramatic increase in delta variant cases across the U.S. 

Gupta, a professor at the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, told “The News with Shepard Smith” that “AstraZeneca, when combined with a Pfizer or Moderna booster, is showing tremendous levels of protection against delta, in terms of the antibody levels that are generated in patients.”

“I do think that those one-shot J&Jer’s should be given the opportunity, while we complete our clinical trial ... I’m already telling my patients to do it, if they can get access to it.” 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/20/dr-vin-gupta-encourages-jj-vaccine-recipients-to-get-a-pfizer-or-moderna-booster.html

3 hours ago, spjunkies said:

I feel like Rogan has sort of morphed into the convenience-liberal prototype.  He tends to be left of center on a lot of social issues, but anything that will interfere with the life style of a rich & famous person he rails against.  He sees the covid response as an inconvenience to him therefore he must speak out against it.  He will glom onto any misinformation he can and push it, and then when he gets shown how wrong it was, he will briefly retract it or pull the "I'm just a comedian podcaster, bro" as if there is anything comedic about some of the stuff he is pushing on his show besides maybe being comically stupid?

22 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I saw Dr. Vin Gupta on TV a week or so ago promoting this for J&J patients. As a J&J recipient, I'm trying to understand when/if the 'booster' is available. 

Intensive-care unit and lung doctor Dr. Vin Gupta told CNBC that he’s already encouraging patients who received the single-shot Johnson & Johnson Covid vaccine to get a Pfizer or Moderna booster shot amid the dramatic increase in delta variant cases across the U.S. 

Gupta, a professor at the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, told “The News with Shepard Smith” that “AstraZeneca, when combined with a Pfizer or Moderna booster, is showing tremendous levels of protection against delta, in terms of the antibody levels that are generated in patients.”

“I do think that those one-shot J&Jer’s should be given the opportunity, while we complete our clinical trial ... I’m already telling my patients to do it, if they can get access to it.” 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/20/dr-vin-gupta-encourages-jj-vaccine-recipients-to-get-a-pfizer-or-moderna-booster.html

Nothing official yet. However San Francisco is encouraging it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/03/jj-covid-vaccine-recipients-can-get-supplemental-pfizer-or-moderna-shots-in-san-francisco.html

At this point the whole booster thing is politically charged because they don’t want to increase additional vaccine hesitancy among the unvaccinated. If I had gotten J&J, I would get a dose of Moderna or Pfizer in my arm today at a pharmacy and not mention my J&J dose. If it was all science based we would be giving boosters even for the mRNA vaccines now like Israel in my opinion. 

• Like 2