Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

I hate Twitter accounts like Right Wing Watch. It's crazy how liberals on Twitter constantly enable misinformation by sharing it to their masses, repeating it and giving it free eyeballs usually so they can make a lame joke that isn't very funny - it's counterproductive and just gets people upset as well. Need more accounts sharing the truth, drilling it into people until they cannot deny it.

• Thanks 1

Pentagon to Require COVID Vaccine for All Troops by Sept. 15

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon will require members of the U.S. military to get the COVID-19 vaccine by Sept. 15, according to a memo obtained by The Associated Press. That deadline could be pushed up if the vaccine receives final FDA approval or infection rates continue to rise.

Click on the link for more

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I hate Twitter accounts like Right Wing Watch. It's crazy how liberals on Twitter constantly enable misinformation by sharing it to their masses, repeating it and giving it free eyeballs usually so they can make a lame joke that isn't very funny - it's counterproductive and just gets people upset as well. Need more accounts sharing the truth, drilling it into people until they cannot deny it.

Can you provide an example?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Can you provide an example?

Of the unnecessary sharing of right wing lies – that's Twitter anytime Tomi Lahren, Candace Owens, Tucker Carlson etc. say something ridiculous. A million quote tweets propagating their message.

But a good example of shutting down misinformation would be ... just call it out directly and show the facts.

Oh so your issue is that people on the right say ridiculously incorrect information to the point of obviously spreading misinformation for the purpose of creating political or ideological mayhem, and that everyone else is calling them out on it

yeah you’re right. It’d be way better if we just let them run unopposed. 

the real problem, for you, is the calling out of people spreading lies. 

awesome pretzel you’ve twisted yourself into

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

If sharing misinformation and ridiculing the person spreading it is all it takes for that misinformation to take hold, then we're all ****ed.

I look at it this way: the people that the misinformation was meant for will see it no matter what. What they will (hopefully) also see is just how many people have legit responses and arguments against it, along with the ridicule. That may not change their minds but it's impossible to say it will have no effect whatsoever. And the people who DO need to see it, will see it and realize just what is being fought against. We get way too lazy and complacent...ignoring this asinine bull**** doesn't help at all. Exposing it is at least informative. We have an entire thread dedicated to the QAnon conspiracy lunacy...something I had heard about in passing but never knew anything about. I'm glad you guys did not decide to ignore it (especially now that QAnon loons are holding congressional office). I've learned  lot more bout it and it's one of the things that fuels my political passion lately as well as my desire to see it rooted out.

Edited by Califan007

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

Oh so your issue is that people on the right say ridiculously incorrect information to the point of obviously spreading misinformation for the purpose of creating political or ideological mayhem, and that everyone else is calling them out on it

yeah you’re right. It’d be way better if we just let them run unopposed. 

the real problem, for you, is the calling out of people spreading lies. 

awesome pretzel you’ve twisted yourself into

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying or doing at all based on his posts here.  He’s illustrating better ways to counteract the misinformation bull**** than just sharing the bull****. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying or doing at all based on his posts here.  He’s illustrating better ways to counteract the misinformation bull**** than just sharing the bull****. 

Well he said "constantly enable misinformation by sharing it to their masses, repeating it and giving it free eyeballs"...you can't counteract it without doing those things. I guess you could DM the person putting it out and give them what-for in private lol...

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

*checks posting history*
thank you. Had the handle confused with someone else. 

still kind of seems like what he’s doing. But not like I thought he was. 

Edited by tshile

The issue is that we live in the digital world where regardless of anyone's response or pushing back on stuff, the person can simply retreat to their niche corner of the internet to find more misinformation that will put them back at ease for their crazy beliefs.

The ending of teaching ethics and how to actually discern viable/trustworthy/useful information vs. "stuff I heard over here by....someone" coinciding with this new incredible online tool that houses unlimited information and conflicting opinions on everything has been a disastrous combination.  Human kind was definitely not ready for this and the pandemic really accelerated and exacerbated how big a problem it was.  Social media itself has added even more fuel to it by acting as a central hub for all of the craziness to meet and spread back to wherever.

It's a nasty bit of irony that the generation who raised us to "not believe everything you see on TV" is pretty much believing everything they see online.  

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

If sharing misinformation and ridiculing the person spreading it is all it takes for that misinformation to take hold, then we're all ****ed.

Uh, dude…….that ship sailed a long time ago.

14 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

So I’m having trouble understanding this and I’m on leave so I don’t want to log into work to find the answer.  Is the vaccine mandatory starting 9/15 or they have to get both shots by 9/15?

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Yes, exactly! I'm saying call out their bull**** the right way by giving people access to the truth. Instead of just quote tweeting a nutjob like Alex Berenson and saying "This guy is an idiot!" or with some joke, share the correct information. Call out why his nonsense if completely wrong. Back the bull**** into a corner so to speak. You won't convince everyone in that rabbit hole to change sides, but you'll get more people that way and you'll keep people who are on the fence on the right side of thinking.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I look at it this way: the people that the misinformation was meant for will see it no matter what. What they will (hopefully) also see is just how many people have legit responses and arguments against it, along with the ridicule. That may not change their minds but it's impossible to say it will have no effect whatsoever. And the people who DO need to see it, will see it and realize just what is being fought against. We get way too lazy and complacent...ignoring this asinine bull**** doesn't help at all. Exposing it is at least informative. We have an entire thread dedicated to the QAnon conspiracy lunacy...something I had heard about in passing but never knew anything about. I'm glad you guys did not decide to ignore it (especially now that QAnon loons are holding congressional office). I've learned  lot more bout it and it's one of the things that fuels my political passion lately as well as my desire to see it rooted out.

We're on the same page, I think my post was misinterpreted. I'm not saying ignore it, that doesn't work either. I'm saying quote tweets and retweets of misinformation for the purposes of scoring dumb jokes is bad. I'm saying do the due diligence of spreading the truth while you call out the garbage. The tweet I shared is awesome because he attacks it straight up with accurate data on vaccines and the fact that they are working.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So I’m having trouble understanding this and I’m on leave so I don’t want to log into work to find the answer.  Is the vaccine mandatory starting 9/15 or they have to get both shots by 9/15?

It sounds like the requirement will be starting next month. I am sure a timeline for first dose will be laid out. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thanks 1

So I don’t have numbers. 

fake vaccine cards have been a thing for a while. I’m wondering how much if that is a real increase and how much is people paying attention now.

there’s nothing in that article that addresses the idea it just sprung up. 

so, yeah. 

The ****ing irony is the people that decry the tracking are the same people necessitating the tracking. 

like we could have been the country that didn’t have to do that because we’re just that awesome.

instead we’re the only country not doing it that may consider doing it cause it turns out we’re not awesome we’re moronic. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

like we could have been the country that didn’t have to do that because we’re just that awesome.

instead we’re the only country not doing it that may consider doing it cause it turns out we’re not awesome we’re moronic. 

Maybe 50% on topic?  

Every year or two, after a mass shooting, The Onion runs a fake news story with the headline

"Nothing Can Be Done" Says The Only Country Where This **** Regularly Happens

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Uh, dude…….that ship sailed a long time ago.

It's making the vaccine mandatory starting 9/15.  If the vaccines aren't fully approved Lloyd Austin will be asking Biden to approve a waiver of the rule so that they can start mandating it beginning the middle of next month.

The secretary of defense, Lloyd J. Austin III, said in a memo to the staff on Monday that he would seek to speed up a mandate if the F.D.A. approved the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine before the middle of September, which the agency aims to do. In the meantime, he told the services to begin preparing the force for mandatory vaccinations.

But the middle of September is more than five weeks away, and even then, the administration has not put a deadline in place for when troops must be fully vaccinated.

Link (NYT paywall)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1