Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

Biden upends Trump's calculation of who gets federal vaccination help

When the Biden White House started looking for sites for four small vaccination centers across New York state, federal agency officials ranked the best spots based on a county-by-county "social vulnerability index" that measures average income, unemployment, race and a dozen other factors.

The data said Chautauqua County, a sparsely populated expanse known primarily for its wine-industry vineyards, was a leading candidate to get vaccine shots to the underserved.

But state officials said no. There were better places than Chautauqua to achieve the White House goal of vaccinating more Black and brown people, they said. They pushed back against the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which are expanding the federal footprint in the country's race to vaccinate, a Biden administration official familiar with the fight said.

Because New York's logic fit President Joe Biden's mandate better than the CDC's data did, the White House backed off.

The episode illuminates a key aspect of the change that occurred in the politics of the national fight against Covid-19 when Biden took office Jan. 20. As Biden has acted to strengthen the federal government's hand in coordinating vaccination efforts across the country — particularly in empowering FEMA as the lead response agency — he has also reversed the politics of combating the crisis.

Former President Donald Trump used his power over federal resources and contracting dollars to reward governors, senators and business leaders who praised him privately and publicly as he sought re-election. By contrast, Biden has prioritized vaccinating people who are both vulnerable and representative of his political coalition. His administration is even providing support to vaccination sites in churches, hoping to persuade more Black and Hispanic people to get the shots.

"Heavy emphasis on communities of color, minority communities, economically and socially disadvantaged," a FEMA official said. "Anything Trump did, we're doing the opposite."

Click on the link for the full article

On 2/10/2021 at 10:24 AM, SemperFi Skins said:

2nd Moderna shot a few hours ago..... feeling great so far. No change

I spoke too soon after I got the second shot of Moderna. The day after was horrendous. Felt worse than a terrible hangover for about 24 hours. Legs felt like concrete cinderblocks were on them, raging headache, fever and chills.... then woke up the following day and was good as new.

Strange.

I have some questions about vaccine eligibility across the DMV: in Virginia, the only information provided after registering via the state website is a 'code' to identify your registration. That is, there's no way to determine what group you are assigned. Based on my research (and using other non-state related websites) I fall into the 1B category. But, I'm not over 65. So, for now I can't go to a CVS, Walgreen, etc. if I find an opening as they are only vaccinating people over 65. 

Is this how it's working outside of Virginia? Has anyone successfully received the vaccine - if you're under 65 & not part of and 'essential worker' group?

3 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Is this how it's working outside of Virginia? Has anyone successfully received the vaccine - if you're under 65 & not part of and 'essential worker' group?

I'm 1B from my job and it was like a part time job getting an appointment (scheduled for Saturday!) 

It's chaos in Maryland because you have the state declaring it 1AB&C but different counties and providers having different rules. Maryland essentially told the counties to figure it out. The programming and implementation of all this also comes from a failed federal response from the previous administration. So providers are left with making rationing decisions that simply shouldn't be happening.  

But  much of this is because they just don't have enough doses of the vaccine to meet demand from people who are in the "open" groups.

I imagine things will accelerate soon with the J&J dose and some of the pain points being worked through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am trying to figure out if my wife and I are elidgable given we have an severe heart condition daughter. She can't get the shot because she is 1 year too young, but we are trying to make sure we dont bring it home to her. This is despite not knowing what our vaccinations do other than mean we will continue to be able to take care of our 4 medically fragile kids which will be a nightmare if either of us get covid.

2 hours ago, gbear said:

I am trying to figure out if my wife and I are elidgable given we have an severe heart condition daughter. She can't get the shot because she is 1 year too young, but we are trying to make sure we dont bring it home to her. This is despite not knowing what our vaccinations do other than mean we will continue to be able to take care of our 4 medically fragile kids which will be a nightmare if either of us get covid.

Staying healthy to care for your children is huge.  Also, from what I’ve read, it sounds like the evidence is starting to show that those vaccinated are less likely to spread the virus.

In FFX Co, they are still processing the day 1 sign ups for 1b.  My in-laws will have their first shots by the weekend.

• Thanks 1

‘Even for the Rich, It’s Hard to Access’ America’s wealthiest are discovering the vaccine is one of the few things money can’t buy.

If Georgina* could pay $10,000 to get the vaccine tomorrow, she would do it in a heartbeat. “I’ve always had this thing, and I know it sounds so entitled and ****y, where I’m like, Stand in line for something, are you crazy? Nobody who’s a real New Yorker waits for anything,” says the businesswoman, speaking on the phone from her Upper East Side home. Georgina has never had trouble finding her way through seemingly closed doors — from sold-out showings of Hamilton to SNL afterparties and the most exclusive clubs and restaurants. “It’s one of those things where you’re just chatting with people and suddenly someone’s like, Here, and hands you tickets.” But when it comes to the COVID vaccine, her usual tactics have fallen short. Everything was booked solid for months when she tried getting an appointment online, and for once, nobody in her vast network seemed to know how to sneak her to the front of the line. “I know a lot of connected people,” she says. “But I can’t figure out which lake to go fishing in to get it.”

Georgina, who is in her mid-60s, is technically eligible for the vaccine in New York, but statewide shortages mean that, as Governor Cuomo recently put it, “10 million New Yorkers are chasing 300,000 vaccines every week” and even those who meet the eligibility requirements have struggled. For Americans like Georgina, who are used to leveraging their money and privilege to find shortcuts, not being able to get the vaccine easily and immediately feels akin to a personal affront. “It almost reminds me of communist rule,” she says. “Like, who is controlling this? What’s really going on here?”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gbear said:

The MS got me included in the first round.  Check with the DOH and pester them.  Nicely.

My wife got her 2nd dose a few weeks ago. She felt sick the day after, flu-like symptoms but not to the level of the actual flu, she was mostly fatigued and spent the weekend resting in bed.  After that she went right back to normal and has been fine since.

I am still checking daily for eligibility to open up for my demographic.  Probably is going to be another month or so from what I mean hearing unless the J&J vaccine being approved (if?) in March ramps up supplies enough to where the next tier opens sooner.

On 2/25/2021 at 9:22 AM, EmirOfShmo said:

I have some questions about vaccine eligibility across the DMV: in Virginia, the only information provided after registering via the state website is a 'code' to identify your registration. That is, there's no way to determine what group you are assigned. Based on my research (and using other non-state related websites) I fall into the 1B category. But, I'm not over 65. So, for now I can't go to a CVS, Walgreen, etc. if I find an opening as they are only vaccinating people over 65. 

Mrs. Skinsfan and I are 1C but, and live in MD and haven't had any luck.  Admittedly, we haven't tried real hard, but every time I look, no appointments are available through Walgreen.   According to CVS, we aren't eligible, even though we are.   I think that there's some type of caveat that not all pharmacies adhere to all of the state guidelines.  i.e. even though 1C is eligible, they can choose to only vaccinate up to 1B

• Like 2

Tom Boswell, baseball columnist for the Post, wrote the most Tom Boswell column ever about the vaccine.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/26/vaccinated-and-relieved/

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say that a person 65-to-74 years old, like me, has an 1,100-times greater chance of dying from covid-19 than someone 5-to-17 years old. So, you can bet that I’ve been paying attention.

This month, my wife and I got our second vaccination shot. On Friday night, we are going to a local French restaurant to eat dinner — inside. That last happened 346 days ago.

As soon as a movie theater opens near us, as theaters will in New York next week, we will be there. We will figure out mask-plus-popcorn later.

We’ve already made reservations to visit our son and his wife in the Midwest in May. Visit a spa? We deserve a massage. We haven’t gone 40 miles from home together since 2019.

In fact, even the smallest things now seem wonderful. The sun has been out this week, the snow melted, and I’ve been walking. Wearing a mask, of course. But unlike any walk for a year, I’ve felt weight-and-worry lite.

Why? Because the best thing about the vaccines is not that they are 94-95 percent effective in preventing you from getting the disease, although that is great.

What’s more important is that after you get the shots, and that cheerful vaccinated glow, you don’t die. You’re more likely to be eaten by a whale. Also, it’s almost certain you won’t be hospitalized.

There are new virus variants. The data to date says all the vaccines work against them, too, in the most important ways — against death and hospitalization. But the exact degree of efficacy is being analyzed constantly.

Data aside, there’s a psychological inoculation, an emotional relief that comes with those shots. You don’t feel like the defenseless target in a virus shooting gallery.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Got my second Phizer shot a couple hours ago.  I’ll let you all know if I have any negative effects.

If you do get a fever then that is actually a positive effect. The fever just means your body has recognized a viral attack and is producing the antibodies and the fever to combat it. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Tom Boswell, baseball columnist for the Post, wrote the most Tom Boswell column ever about the vaccine.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/26/vaccinated-and-relieved/

UGH. "I can't wait to boomer it up as much as possible after being vaccinated"

I get the positive feelings over getting your shot and the feeling like the light is at the end of the tunnel. But I'm not changing my habits at least a few months. I owe that to the people who have passed and the people who have put their lives on hold to stop this ****. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1