Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For some reason the latest god of war didn’t do it for me. I lost interest and dropped it for about a year and when I picked it back up the game ended 30 minutes later. Some how I had lost interest right before the end of the main story. 

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

For some reason the latest god of war didn’t do it for me. I lost interest and dropped it for about a year and when I picked it back up the game ended 30 minutes later. Some how I had lost interest right before the end of the main story. 

Did you do a bunch of side quests and extras? I find when I spend too much time on that stuff I lose interest even in games I like. I did basically none of the extra stuff and the game was awesome. Tried doing the extra stuff after I beat it and it was a slog so I stopped.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Did you do a bunch of side quests and extras? I find when I spend too much time on that stuff I lose interest even in games I like. I did basically none of the extra stuff and the game was awesome. Tried doing the extra stuff after I beat it and it was a slog so I stopped.

That happens to me a lot. I like to take my time when I play a game, sometimes I take too much time and end up quitting before I get anywhere near the end of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Yea, I must of got caught in the slog of doing stuff like that and missed the hook of the main story. Then the abrupt ending after being away from it for so long just made the whole thing feel disjointed. Normally I like GOW games. 

4 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

This is a serious question and not being facetious - so you played it for like 20+ hours and then lost interest in it?  Because the game is like 20+ hours or so to complete and you said you ended 30 minutes after picking it back up.  I'd think if you are playing a game for that long that you would still be interested enough to just play some more to finish it.

But I guess I can kind of relate in a way because I played Uncharted 4 until chapter 17 or so and then gave up.  But playing it up until then was kind of a chore to me.  It was also very similar gameplay wise to the previous 3 though, whereas GOW wasn't at all.

On another note my buddy was over and we just played through this new light gun game I got dirt cheap called Sharp Shooter that I had never heard of, and it's a straight up quarter muncher.  I think had we paid 50 cents per play, we would have paid like double what I paid for the game, had it not been on free play lol.  It was fun though.  It's funny how clearly obvious these old arcade games were designed to just take your money.

Edited by purbeast

@purbeast

Yup pretty much. After fighting that giant in the ice part or whatever it just became a slog for me and I think I dropped it after gaining access to one of the final world tree locations. It’s been a while so the details are fuzzy. 

I’m like that with a lot of games. I just lose interest sometimes. I still haven’t finished Ghost of Tsushima and I was nearly at the end of that as well. Same for the FF7 remake. I stopped that at the final sephiroth fight. Haven’t finished Outriders yet either or the Witcher 3. 

Can’t remember the last non-zombie/clicker  game I finished actually. I’m playing Cyberpunk now, so that might stop the streak. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

@purbeast

Yup pretty much. After fighting that giant in the ice part or whatever it just became a slog for me and I think I dropped it after gaining access to one of the final world tree locations. It’s been a while so the details are fuzzy. 

I’m like that with a lot of games. I just lose interest sometimes. I still haven’t finished Ghost of Tsushima and I was nearly at the end of that as well. Same for the FF7 remake. I stopped that at the final sephiroth fight. Haven’t finished Outriders yet either or the Witcher 3. 

Can’t remember the last non-zombie/clicker  game I finished actually. I’m playing Cyberpunk now, so that might stop the streak. 

I played ME1 for the first time and did some side quests and finished it relatively quickly.

Playing ME2 now and I am STRUGGLING to get through. I love the ME story so far so I want to keep pushing but the idea of doing the side quests is nauseating. But then I read that you kinda have to do them and I just roll my eyes.

Theres so many games I need to play through and I won’t let myself play anything until I beat the ME trilogy. And I don’t have a ton of gaming time... 

• Like 3

@KDawg

I’m the same way with side quests and it can drain my motivation to keep playing. Sometimes those quests kind of strip the game of its emotional content and it just becomes this mechanical point a to point b waste of time, when I have so many other things going on. 

The only games where that doesn’t happen are those that have some unique system to them like the nemesis system in that Mordor game and to a lesser degree watchdogs legion. Or games like the TLOU 2 that rarely let the story stall and already press my buttons for revenge violence and zombie/clicker things. 

• Like 1

Played RE8 quite a bit more yesterday.  I am loving the environment but not loving the lore/enemies very much.  I like the exploration aspects a lot and how it "feels" like RE.  

It's a shame that it's not scary in the least though.  

48 minutes ago, JCB said:

Put in 6-8 hours with that Avengers game that came out last year. It looks pretty but it's boring AF.

Only fun with friends. Even then it gets old fast. I assume like all these other games in the MMO/Looter genre it gets pretty bad once the player base abandons it (and they abandoned that game months ago) 

• Like 1

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Starting to get the hang of combat in God of War.  Took me awhile because there is a lot going on between attach types, dodges, parries, axe throws, calling for arrows, combos, etc. 

It does a great job of staying fresh with unlockable moves and abilities as you go so you don’t get burned out just hacking with the axe. The combat is so fluid and responsive it never feels cheap. Enemies are a lot of fun too and varied. 

Tom Holland was a very odd casting choice IMO, unless they are going for Drake before the games started.  He looks too young for who they had in the game.

And I believe Wahlberg plays Sully, which also is a bad cast IMO, unless again, they are going for pre-game stuff.

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Starting to get the hang of combat in God of War.  Took me awhile because there is a lot going on between attach types, dodges, parries, axe throws, calling for arrows, combos, etc. 

Took me a while to figure it out but the boys arrows are way more useful in battle than the game would have you believe. Things got much much easier once I figured that out. It is a lot go get at once, but once you get it, there is a flow to combat that is really something to behold. 

• Like 2

The story in God of War is hard to follow. I’m good with who Kratos is and why he’s a badass, but it’s like “go clomb this mountain but then you have to change realms and go to Jorgenphyysiddermunger to collect the Tyr and bring it to Doddenblugenplysyyyyyrphinterusder.“

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The story in God of War is hard to follow. I’m good with who Kratos is and why he’s a badass, but it’s like “go clomb this mountain but then you have to change realms and go to Jorgenphyysiddermunger to collect the Tyr and bring it to Doddenblugenplysyyyyyrphinterusder.“

Can you imagine how ****ed up your day would be if you had to open every door the way he does? 

It would make a bad ass way to walk into a meeting though. But damn. Go home and literally pass out on the porch cause one more door.....nah

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It does throw a lot of mythology, world building, realms and weird names at you. In case it helps:

After traveling to Midgard, settling down,  remarrying and having a son, his wife later dies and her last wish for Kratos was to spread her ashes on the highest peak in the realms. 

The mountain summit in Midgard is blocked by a dark mist spell possibly by the mysterious stranger that visits kratos so the also mysterious witch of the woods tells them to go Alfheim (home of the elves) to find the light that can unblock the mist and allow them to access the mountain. 

upon doing that and eventually reaching the mountain summit they are told by mimir that they are incorrect and that this is not the highest point in the realms, Kratos wife Faye must have meant the mountain summit in Johtenheim where the giants (race not actual size giants) lived. Why did she make this request of them?

the rest of the journey involves finding out how to get there since Tyr, one of the ancient giants of legend, hid the entrance to protect the giants from Odin and Thor years ago. The world serpent is the last giant remaining in the realms.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Put some more time into RE8 last night.  I beat the first "act" or so yesterday and the lore/story of the game has grown on me a bit.  I've just accepted some of the stuff I didn't really like much as far as the lore goes.  I still think the boss I just defeated was really stupid and just felt so out of place, but whatever, it's still fun and has an awesome atmosphere.  Still wish it was scarier though.

23 hours ago, purbeast said:

Played RE8 quite a bit more yesterday.  I am loving the environment but not loving the lore/enemies very much.  I like the exploration aspects a lot and how it "feels" like RE.  

It's a shame that it's not scary in the least though.  

You playing it in VR?