Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I'm not really sure what you are talking about. 

You're seriously trying to say Mario and Zelda aren't great exclusives?  

The thing about the Switch is it's a great compliment to either XB or PS.  You aren't going to get much variety between XB and PS consoles generally speaking.  You get a ton of overlap.  

Having a Switch + XSX or PS5 gives you much more variety than having PS5 + XSX.  

XSX is pretty much a waste of money to me so far.  I've literally only played Gears 5 and started Doom Eternal on there.  I don't see myself playing much in the future either because there's literally 0 exclusives coming out for it at this point.

Oh also, here is HZD2 gameplay.  Wasn't a fan of part 1 but damn this looks fantastic.

Uh. No.

In fact I’m not even sure where you got any of that from :ols:

My reference wasn’t the Zelda and Mario’s of the world. It’s the other anime type games that wouldn’t have a following that are not Nintendo properties. Of course Mario and Zelda would be big on any platform.

I had to Google games to give as examples:

Fire Emblem.

Stuff like that. The cartoony games that don’t really have a spot on the bigger consoles for the most part (Persona 5 snuck in I guess). 

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Uh. No.

In fact I’m not even sure where you got any of that from :ols:

My reference wasn’t the Zelda and Mario’s of the world. It’s the other anime type games that wouldn’t have a following that are not Nintendo properties. Of course Mario and Zelda would be big on any platform.

I had to Google games to give as examples:

Fire Emblem.

Stuff like that. The cartoony games that don’t really have a spot on the bigger consoles for the most part (Persona 5 snuck in I guess). 

It's cause I can't read.  Thought you said your point WAS they don't have exclusives but I saw you said wasn't.

While I don't care about games like Fire Emblem or Xenoblade Chronicles, those are HUGE draws to the Switch.  And they sell very well.  Just because you don't like them doesn't mean many people don't.  I hate anything anime in general but I realize it's huge throughout the world.

In fact, JRPGs in general is a huge problem with Xbox and is one of the major complaints about it.  Japanese developers in general not making stuff for the Xbox is a major problem with the console (according to many) and partially why it sells poorly compared to Sony and Nintendo.  It basically alienates half of their potential customers.  There's a reason Xbox sells like **** in Asia.

Edited by purbeast

7 minutes ago, purbeast said:

It's cause I can't read.  Thought you said your point WAS they don't have exclusives but I saw you said wasn't.

While I don't care about games like Fire Emblem or Xenoblade Chronicles, those are HUGE draws to the Switch.  And they sell very well.  Just because you don't like them doesn't mean many people don't.  I hate anything anime in general but I realize it's huge throughout the world.

In fact, JRPGs in general is a huge problem with Xbox and is one of the major complaints about it.  Japanese developers in general not making stuff for the Xbox is a major problem with the console (according to many) and partially why it sells poorly compared to Sony and Nintendo.  It basically alienates half of their potential customers.  There's a reason Xbox sells like **** in Asia.

I think you’re really missing my point.

They work on the SWITCH BECAUSE of their anime nature and wouldn’t hold up as well on the other platforms. Has nothing to do with whether I like them or not. Holy ****, man. :ols:

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

They work on the SWITCH BECAUSE of their anime nature and wouldn’t hold up as well on the other platforms. Has nothing to do with whether I like them or not. Holy ****, man. :ols:

Nah.  JRPG's do pretty well on Playstation platform as well.  Has nothing to do with it being a Nintendo platform.  Kids and adults own all consoles.

You know why they put those games on the Switch and not the Xbox?  Because the console base is a ****load more than the Xbox platform and it's not worth their time to put em out on Xbox.  Plus as I said, the whole culture thing where Japanese people/devs just don't want to have to do much with Xbox platform.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Nah.  JRPG's do pretty well on Playstation platform as well.  Has nothing to do with it being a Nintendo platform.  Kids and adults own all consoles.

You know why they put those games on the Switch and not the Xbox?  Because the console base is a ****load more than the Xbox platform and it's not worth their time to put em out on Xbox.  Plus as I said, the whole culture thing where Japanese people/devs just don't want to have to do much with Xbox platform.

That’s what I’m saying. Holy **** man. You’re really making my simple question awful with this. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

That’s what I’m saying. Holy **** man. You’re really making my simple question awful with this. 

I mean you said this...

But they kind of need to stay in their lane. Sure, they have some "realistic" looking titles but most of the stuff for Switch is more animated type stuff that wouldn't have a huge audience on the XB/PS platforms. 

And it's just flat out wrong. 

But yeah this is going nowhere.

So how bout that HZD2 video?

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, purbeast said:

how bout that HZD2 video?

image.gif.a153b61c11474a40172147d4dfab0f3c.gif

it was incredible. Plays so closely to

the first game, it keeps the feel perfectly while adding new abilities and improving the combat. The works is improved with more verticality and underwater areas. And they’ve added more robots. 1000% sold. Just hope the story is as good as the first one. Will be hard after losing the mystery that kept the first one going 

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

They work on the Switch because they're good games.  They work on the Playstation, too.  A good game is a good game regardless of the platform it's on.  There is, however, differences in taste, and the Xbox user base generally is interested in more western-style games, and western style games have a heavier focus on photo-realistic graphics over stylized graphics.  The Japanese market largely passes on the Xbox as a platform, which may help explain the separation in gaming preferences, along with the fact that the Xbox gets fewer games from Japanese developers.  Positive feedback loop intensifies.

Take a look at Valkyria Chronicles as an example.  Anime-inspired stylized graphics.  1, 2, and 3 were all originally Playstation games.  It wasn't until Valkyria Chronicles 4 that the series made its debut on Nintendo hardware.

Dragon Quest has had no problem moving around between Nintendo and Sony over the decades.

Persona has always been under the Playstation banner (not just the Persona 5 that you noted)

(also, Fire Emblem is Nintendo's property; that's why there are so many Fire Emblem characters in Smash Brothers.)

Edited by PokerPacker

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

Have you played Tokyo Mirage Sessions?

No but I have a home boy telling me I have to get on it. He pretty much never stops talking about it. 

Edited by Llevron

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

No but I have a home boy telling me I have to get on it. He pretty much never stops talking about it. 

I mean, it's Fire Emblem x Persona (technically they called it Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei, but it's definitely more on the Persona side of that franchise).  Super Japanese.  Perhaps the most Japanese game I've ever played.

I will say, though, they did censor it a bit for the Western (and Switch) release.

• Thanks 1

Japanese games don't really show up on the Xbox because the Xbox base in Japan is less than impressive. If it weren't for Yakuza 0 coming out on Xbox (and Game Pass), there wouldn't be any games coming to Xbox from Japan. It also helps that you can download games digitally now...and the fact that the game only has English subs. Translating a game and dubbing it takes a lot of time and effort, but just translating subs and putting it in the online store is less of a risk. Expect to see a lot more foreign games coming to Xbox in the near future.

6 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

They work on the Switch because they're good games.  They work on the Playstation, too.  A good game is a good game regardless of the platform it's on.  There is, however, differences in taste, and the Xbox user base generally is interested in more western-style games, and western style games have a heavier focus on photo-realistic graphics over stylized graphics.  The Japanese market largely passes on the Xbox as a platform, which may help explain the separation in gaming preferences, along with the fact that the Xbox gets fewer games from Japanese developers.  Positive feedback loop intensifies.

Take a look at Valkyria Chronicles as an example.  Anime-inspired stylized graphics.  1, 2, and 3 were all originally Playstation games.  It wasn't until Valkyria Chronicles 4 that the series made its debut on Nintendo hardware.

Dragon Quest has had no problem moving around between Nintendo and Sony over the decades.

Persona has always been under the Playstation banner (not just the Persona 5 that you noted)

(also, Fire Emblem is Nintendo's property; that's why there are so many Fire Emblem characters in Smash Brothers.)

Where did I say they weren’t “good games”? I’ll wait.

My point, again, isn’t any specific title. It’s the amount of those types of games within the platform.

@Simmsynailed part of why.

I’m not commenting on if a game is good or not, or delving deep into the reasons. Anime games are more popular on the Switch for a variety of reasons.

People enjoy what they enjoy and I honestly don’t care what anyone else likes or doesn’t. 

I grant that my aspect of the convo has been disjointed because I never intended to get far into the rabbit hole. But getting lectured on “just because it’s not for you doesn’t make it a bad game” when I never said anything of the sort is pretty offensive.

Edited by KDawg

Anime games are popular on Switch because they are available on the Switch.

Anime games are popular on Playstation because they are available on Playstation.

Anime games aren't popular on Xbox because they aren't available on the Xbox.

Anime is popular.

There is your "variety of reasons".

P.S. - I can't stand anything anime.

Edited by purbeast

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Anime games are popular on Switch because they are available on the Switch.

Anime games are popular on Playstation because they are available on Playstation.

Anime games aren't popular on Xbox because they aren't available on the Xbox.

Anime is popular.

There is your "variety of reasons".

P.S. - I can't stand anything anime.

You’re exhausting. 

Have a good one.

Edited by KDawg

Can anyone attest to how hard the preorders were for original switch, PS5, and/or Xbox X?  Thinking about preordering the switch pro to avoid the mass hysteria after release, but I'm hearing preorders are no picnic either?

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Can anyone attest to how hard the preorders were for original switch, PS5, and/or Xbox X?  Thinking about preordering the switch pro to avoid the mass hysteria after release, but I'm hearing preorders are no picnic either?

You just had to know when the preorders were happening.  It was tough for sure but I managed to get multiples or each console.  If you didn't to put in the work then you pretty much had no shot.

That said, Switch Pro isn't going to be anywhere close to as hot as the PS5 or XSX was.  It's not a new generation.  It's kind of like a PS4 Pro and X1X and those weren't nearly as hard to find as PS5 and XSX.  I have had a Switch since launch and have 0 interest in buying a Switch Pro because there is hardly any benefit.

• Thanks 1

Has a Switch Pro finally actually been confirmed because I have been reading about it being "imminent" for well over a year now.

I am not even sure what uprades it is supposed to have? Higher quality screen? More internal storage space?  Joy-cons that don't suffer from drift problems after a couple months of usage?

I could end up purchasing one just so both my daughters have one and I guess if there is a Pro unit out, I mine as well go with that one.

Edited by NoCalMike

17 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Has a Switch Pro finally actually been confirmed because I have been reading about it being "imminent" for well over a year now.

I am not even sure what uprades it is supposed to have? Higher quality screen? More internal storage space?  Joy-cons that don't suffer from drift problems after a couple months of usage?

I could end up purchasing one just so both my daughters have one and I guess if there is a Pro unit out, I mine as well go with that one.

Supposedly a leaked listing page was on Amazon Mexico.  

There hasn't been anything official as far as upgrades go because it's not official yet.

But yeah, it's been "coming next month" since like 2018.

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2021 at 11:40 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

I am FULLY hooked on God of War.  Just collected the Traveler's armor, but need to kill a few more to upgrade it fully.  Just told Atreus his true nature.  Gonna pause the story missions for a bit and just explore and kill things.  

I cant believe you got that armor so fast. I didn't find it until NG+ for some reason and I ended up completing the game with 100% of the trophies. 

yea once you get to the point where you can explore and do all the things, the combat and everything goes to another level. See if you can free all the Valkyries if you are that far in the game. One of the more frustrating and fun experiences I have had gaming in a while was fighting the Queen of the Valkyries. I'm doing a NG+ solely for the challenge of beating her on the hardest difficulty level. It was that much fun. 

God of War is the first game since maybe Monster Hunter World that gave me that sense of completion after fighting a hard boss. Problem with Monster Hunter is that they keep getting more difficult lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

They are speculating that the details will be released this week.  Looks like slightly bigger screen, 4K upscaling, higher processing power, etc.  I was getting another one anyway, so figure a pro version would be better than the current (original and lite no longer belongs to me apparently per my kids)