Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update: Good News - Ossoff has been called the winner - So Congrats to GA Senators Elect Warnock and Ossoff!

goskins10

It says something about the Republican Party that going on record as to whether you think Americans should be allowed to vote for President, or should the GOP simply pick one of their own instead, is regarded as a trap vote.  

Asian American voters could decide the Georgia Senate runoffs

James Woo, a 35-year-old marketing manager based in Peachtree Corners, has seen Georgia’s Asian American community change a lot since he moved there in middle school.

“Growing up here, there was like one big Asian supermarket,” Woo told Vox. Now, “People talk about Atlanta having the third-biggest Koreatown in the US.”

Woo, a spokesperson for the nonprofit Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Atlanta (AAAJ), has watched representation in government grow, too: When he started his job at AAAJ five years ago, there was just one Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) lawmaker in the state legislature. In 2021, there will be six.

As a kid, “I didn’t even know that was an opportunity,” Woo said.

The AAPI population in Georgia has increased by 138 percent in the last 20 years, according to APIAVote, an organization focused on voter engagement. As more people move to the state to pursue employment opportunities and a more affordable cost of living, Georgia has seen a large uptick in Black, Latino, and AAPI residents, along with corresponding gains in these groups’ political influence.

Per the Pew Research Center, eligible AAPI voters now account for roughly 3 percent of the state’s electorate, a notable jump from the 1 percent they comprised in 2000. And APIAVote estimates that about 238,000 eligible AAPI voters currently live in Georgia, including many new voters who’ve aged into the electorate or become naturalized citizens this cycle.

Such shifts were evident during the 2020 presidential election, when AAPI turnout increased more than that of any other demographic group in Georgia — helping President-elect Joe Biden clinch a win in the state. Compared with 2016, the number of AAPI people who voted early tripled, going from 40,000 to roughly 120,000 in 2020, according to the progressive data firm Catalist. And based on early exit polls, AAPI voters nationwide backed Biden by a 2-1 margin.

Now, AAPI voter engagement — the product of years of organizing by local groups including AAAJ-Atlanta, Fair Fight Action, and the New Georgia Project — could be decisive in the state’s Senate runoffs, which will determine which party controls the upper chamber for the next two years. As Biden’s narrow 12,000-vote margin of victory highlighted, AAPI voter support could help make the difference in what’s expected to be another close election.

Click on the link for the full article

So will GA look like it did on election day where tonight seems pretty solidly R due to in person voting advantage from today and then the shift to Dems begins and it's just a matter of if they can catch up?

I think I saw there weren't nearly as many mail-in ballots this time compared to the general so maybe that won't be the case

10 hours ago, visionary said:

In a move carefully calculated to provide the maximum political benefit to her, personally.  

If she'd done this a week ago, it would have generated increased turnout to vote against her.  Her timing says that she wants to get the benefit of choosing Trumpism over Country, without political backlash from people who think it should be the other way around.  

It also says that her motive for abusing her government-granted power to weaken the country, is personal retention of said power.  

I don't expect the Democrats to win today. It would be awesome if they did but I'm not getting my hopes up after not winning the Senate a couple months ago. The one advantage Dems have is that Trump isn't on the ballot so that might decrease the GOP turnout. 

17 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Dumb question.

We always have a senate majority and senate minority leader, but what do we have if its 50/50.

Just democrat leader and republican leader?

I think if it's 50-50, because Harris is a Democrat, we have a Democrat Majority leader.

I am not holding out hope for GA.  

Loeffler is an embarressment as a Senator.  I hate that financially successful people who don't appear to care about the country and have no political drive can become Senator.

Tuberville is also in that category.  What does popular football coach have to do with Senator. 

For sure, this probably applies to many Senators, but Executive VPs (Perdue and Loeffler) are the last people that I would think of as "down to earth and likely to represent the American citizen in government".  Same thing with Ron Johnson.  

Archived