Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Dallas I

KDawg

2 minutes ago, method man said:

The thing with NFL kickers is that they need a couple stops oftentimes before they figure it out. Gano and Koo are two good examples of this.

To your point, given Hop is a FA, we need to see what we have in Vedvik or someone else. If they don’t cut it, go after a Randy Bullock or someone of that ilk

Got to be honest I knew nothing at all about Vedvik until about an hour ago :ols:

Although I’m now intrigued. As an UDFA the Ravens did a great job of converting that into a bidding war and subsequent 5th round pick. And this guy punts. 

I hope he’s pushing Hopkins.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Got to be honest I knew nothing at all about Vedvik until about an hour ago :ols:

Although I’m now intrigued. As an UDFA the Ravens did a great job of converting that into a bidding war and subsequent 5th round pick. And this guy punts. 

I hope he’s pushing Hopkins.

They had Brett Maher on the PS earlier this season. Apparently he couldnget it done

Agree with the OP.

Allen is a very solid #2 QB. More than serviceable under Rivera/Turner. Likewise Thomas at TE. But we need upgrades at both, plus as noted Terry Mc needs support/help at receiver. I’d still be adding 2 more OL in the offseason. Not clear where the greater area of needs will unfold to. We need to see more of Charles this season.

DL strong. Very strong especially when blood is there. SS now an immediate need. Everett fairly solid actually. Ok, maybe average but better than Apke. LB still a need but Holcomb really stepped up.

Oh and Hopkins. :kickcan:

One of the nice things about yesterday's win is that it marks a difference in year's past. Over the years, think about how many teams got their season right after playing Washington? Think about how many teams got their first win of the year after playing Washington? When a team was struggling, even when we were pretty good, we were the answer to their need. We were the springboard to their confidence.

Have a rookie QB that needs his first win? Send em to Washington.

Have a running game that can't get a first down? Send em to Washington.

Have a defense that can't stop anybody? Send em to Washington.

The theme was so well understood that whenever the exception happened to break the rule, a coach was fired. It happened last year with Rivera. Carolina was like "Damn! If you can't beat Washington when your seat's hot... GET OUT!"

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree with the OP.

Allen is a very solid #2 QB. More than serviceable under Rivera/Turner. Likewise Thomas at TE. But we need upgrades at both, plus as noted Terry Mc needs support/help at receiver. I’d still be adding 2 more OL in the offseason. Not clear where the greater area of needs will unfold to. We need to see more of Charles this season.

DL strong. Very strong especially when blood is there. SS now an immediate need. Everett fairly solid actually. Ok, maybe average but better than Apke. LB still a need but Holcomb really stepped up.

Oh and Hopkins. :kickcan:

Have to agree about the receivers. I was really hoping Harmon and Simms would take another step forward, but Harmon never even made it to camp because of injury and Simms seems to have caught the sophomore jinx. Maybe Simms needed some humble pie. I still hope both could be players.

It's hard for me to gauge a whole lot as it would appear that Dallas is just god awful.  However I'll never complain about beating them in that fashion as it was a joy to watch.  For a coach that's been getting beat up for weeks about his poor communication, conflicting messages to the team, you name it, you wouldn't be able to tell that from watching his team yesterday. While Dallas is awful, our roster is also littered with holes.  WFT had every reason to play a close one with Dallas and they didn't.

3 hours ago, Panninho said:

It was also reported that Jim Haslett was in the mix for DC there, which is why I liked the McCarthy hire from the get go. You got to assume that even if they can Nolan, McCarthy will bring in the next horrible DC.

You're kidding...Haslett?  Well then.  I hope that happens.

I gotta admit, I was thinking loss and draft position before the game. But as it unfolded I just couldn't help enjoying what a colosal mess the Dallas Cowboys have become.  

It was difficult to evaluate Allen based on that pathetic defense. He was aided by a productive running game, his arm does resemble Colt McCoy, but it was also clear that he can make plays with his arm and his legs and the offense is much more efficient with him at QB over the other 2.  

I focused on Chase as I watched it again.  He was doubled a lot, and chased down backs really well. But there were a number of times where he rushed the passer and was locked up by a backup tackle one on one.  I'm thinking it's the injury but he sure isn't showing that explosive first step he showed in college and the step every great pass rusher has.  

I never believed TE was a big of a need as other positions once Logan Thomas started playing. He wasn't great or anything but when compared to the play at safety, LB, other WRs and along the OL I felt all along he was far from a weakness on this team.  

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Is this...coaching?!?

Yeah a lot of us were pushing Lucas over Christian before the season.  

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You're wrong.  GIbson's "vision" is absolutely awful, specifically on outside zone runs.  He doesn't know when he should extend to the edge to get around a block, or cut inside of the block.

You know why?  Because he's a rookie who's played 7 games, and he didn't have to do it in college.

It is a criticism.  It's isn't an indictment.  It doesn't mean he is a bust.  It doesn't mean he isn't still contributing.  It doesn't mean he doesn't have fantastic physical gifts.

What it means is that he has to learn and develop that part of his game.  Which is absolutely fine, and in fact expected, of a mid-round rookie...

Well, that's one opinion. I wonder what his coaches think. 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

One of the nice things about yesterday's win is that it marks a difference in year's past. Over the years, think about how many teams got their season right after playing Washington? Think about how many teams got their first win of the year after playing Washington? When a team was struggling, even when we were pretty good, we were the answer to their need. We were the springboard to their confidence.

That's pretty much what happened last week against the Giants. I thought it was about to happen again yesterday when we couldn't score from an inch out. But, to their credit, we kept fighting and basically kicking an inferior, abused, and decrepit opponent over and over again, lol. 

I really like Rivera as a guy. I think he really does actually care about his players, and that's a very important thing. Just because someone is now a "pro" doesn't mean they're no longer human and don't need that relationship with a coach. That said, he's done and said some INCREDIBLY weird things this season. For now, I'm chalking it up to what he's been going through physically and what the team is facing off the field. We'll see how things progress in the days ahead. Love beating the snot out of Dallas, but that was one of the worst teams I've seen in decades. Let's see if we can get some revenge in two weeks against the G-spots. 

4 hours ago, Panninho said:

It was also reported that Jim Haslett was in the mix for DC there, which is why I liked the McCarthy hire from the get go. You got to assume that even if they can Nolan, McCarthy will bring in the next horrible DC.

It's funny, as I just remembered the last time I thought much about Nolan was when the Packers hired him as DC. A huge Packers fan I worked with was really angry at me because I kept telling him how bad of a hire that was and that Nolan would be awful. I was proven right pretty quickly. Totally forgot the McCarthy connection until now. Doesn't speak well of McCarthy for going back to that crap. 

We have a receiver on what’s been an anemic offense who is less than 10 yards from top 5 in the league...and he should easily have another 50+ yards and 2+ tds more if he had competent QB play. 

We have a pass rusher in his second year who is 1 sack outside the top 5 in the league. 

small victories lol

29 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

6 games in, after inheriting a horrible roster, Ron Rivera and his staff are now being called "unqualified misfits"???

Talk about an overreaction.  

Sounds like you missed the sarcasm on my end.  The term 'unqualified misfits' is my own interpretation of some of the harsh criticism I've read of late pertaining to Ron and his staff.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sounds like you missed the sarcasm on my end.  The term 'unqualified misfits' is my own interpretation of some of the harsh criticism I've read of late pertaining to Ron and his staff.

A few posters in particular have had overly harsh takes all season long as it pertains to just about everything. And while there is some truth to those takes, they are way over the top.

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

actually disagree with the vision thing. I think he has fairly good vision in space. And his gap vision is better inside than it is outside on wide zone. 

He isn’t a seasoned vet, but I think awful is a little harsh. He needs work but on a few of those runs today he used leverage and anticipation to get free.

I, with my untrained eye, saw at least 2 instances clearly where he just missed the run.

I agree, his vision inside, and when moving north/south is much better than when he's moving east/west.  

Maybe not awful, that might be a bit harsh.  But it is also something Cooley has brought up, to the point where Cooley said he wouldn't run Gibson on outside runs, he'd run McKissic.  I disagree, because I think Gibson needs to get all the carries he can and learn and develop.

As I said later in the post, I don't think this is that big a deal.  I think it's just inexperience, and he's going to grow and learn, because he didn't do it in college, and it's new to him.  I'm really high on Gibson.  I hope that part of my post wasn't unclear.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I, with my untrained eye, saw at least 2 instances clearly where he just missed the run.

I agree, his vision inside, and when moving north/south is much better than when he's moving east/west.  

Maybe not awful, that might be a bit harsh.  But it is also something Cooley has brought up, to the point where Cooley said he wouldn't run Gibson on outside runs, he'd run McKissic.  I disagree, because I think Gibson needs to get all the carries he can and learn and develop.

As I said later in the post, I don't think this is that big a deal.  I think it's just inexperience, and he's going to grow and learn, because he didn't do it in college, and it's new to him.  I'm really high on Gibson.  I hope that part of my post wasn't unclear.  

His stretch vision is definitely his weak point. 

Knowing to bounce, bang or cut a wide zone play isn't all that easy. It takes recognizing the various ways a defense can play it as well as seeing if your guys do as they are supposed to or not. It also takes pre-snap front and depth recognition from the back to get it really down.

That will come, like you said. 

And you're not wrong that it's not good. But I think saying his vision is poor is over simplifying what "vision" is.

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yes I obviously missed that, sounded like you were with some of the others. Losing does that to a fanbase, they instantly dismiss the coach as an idiot and that's not always fair.  

Archived