Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Dallas I

KDawg

It looks like a lot of people on Cowboys zone are all aboard the tank train for Trevor. That would make me sick to my stomach if they got him, but I’d be down to sign Dak. Also who is Lawrence? Played a couple snaps for us at NT. As much as Collins has sucked it’s not that cool to lose him this year. He made a huge play also smh

8 minutes ago, max21 said:

It looks like a lot of people on Cowboys zone are all aboard the tank train for Trevor. That would make me sick to my stomach if they got him, but I’d be down to sign Dak. Also who is Lawrence? Played a couple snaps for us at NT. As much as Collins has sucked it’s not that cool to lose him this year. He made a huge play also smh

Dak wouldn't sign with a division rival, he is in their long term plans and they would draft sewell or a defensive player 

8 minutes ago, max21 said:

They aren't getting ahead of the Jets.  That team is a train wreck.  Their only "winnable" games are against maybe the Pats (if Cam continues to crap).

So the Rams just handling the Bears brings to mind our schedule.

Win - Eagles, NFC East lol

Loss - Cardinals, 5-2

Loss - Browns, 5-2.  Team played them tough enough to win but 5 turnovers is too much to overcome.

Loss - Ravens, 5-1

Loss - Rams, 5-2, handled by them.  Only game where we looked thoroughly outclassed.

Loss - Giants, NFC East lol

Win - Cowboys, NFC East lol

Our record says 2-5.  But this is difficult.

2-1 against Division opponents.

2-1 against teams with a losing record

0-4 against non-Division opponents

0-4 against teams with a winning record

How good or bad are we?  Through 7 games, almost half a season...is it possible we still have no idea about this team?  I think an argument can be made that we're average, and an argument can be made that we're below average...or even awful.  But I simply don't know yet.

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

...[snip]...

How good or bad are we?  Through 7 games, almost half a season...is it possible we still have no idea about this team?  I think an argument can be made that we're average, and an argument can be made that we're below average...or even awful.  But I simply don't know yet.

This is a good point and it's further complicated by a young team learning new systems without a proper preseason to do it. On the other hand, the good old eyeball test tells me we are genuinely not very good, it's just that there are a few teams that are even worse.

5 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Win - Eagles, NFC East lol

Loss - Cardinals, 5-2

Loss - Browns, 5-2.  Team played them tough enough to win but 5 turnovers is too much to overcome.

Loss - Ravens, 5-1

Loss - Rams, 5-2, handled by them.  Only game where we looked thoroughly outclassed.

Loss - Giants, NFC East lol

Win - Cowboys, NFC East lol

the league in the mains is all over the place this year, the Browns and Cardinals at 5-2, they themselves have had some strange results and I wasn’t impressed with either. 

Likely got half a dozen or so that separate themselves, Ravens and Rams 2 of those I think. The rest is like a lucky dip.

The league is like a box of chocolates as someone nearly said once.

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We know we’re not good enough to hang with the big boys on even a semi consistent basis.

We know we’re better than the absolute dregs of the league. 

So we know something about us :ols:

I don't think its this simple.

Week 1: we were getting dominated until the first interception and then suddenly the offense came to life. Yes the defense was getting sacks, but they were not stopping Philly until the second half. Suddenly the tides turned and we stopped them consistently. 

Week 2: We got dominated offensively and defensively

Week 3: We were up 20-17 in the 4th with a chance to win before (1) Cleveland scores on their first drive in the 4th and then (2) Haskins collapsed and kept making mistakes. 

Week 4: We got dominated again.

Week 5: dominated

Week 6: Missed FG, 2 point attempt failed

So I think we really can look at this season and say we could reasonably be 4-3 with wins against Philly, Cleveland, NY and Dallas. And if you really want to go into it, you could say that weeks 2 and 3 we had a chance to come back but Ron decided to go home with 2 time outs. I wouldn't say that's a probable win but something to consider. 

I'd also say that It'd be interesting to see if we were to go against any of those weeks 2-6 teams with a philosophy like we had against Dallas, how we'd do. In particular I can remember under Gruden we would play the rams with a physical style that we normally do not have and just run the ball as a way to neutralize Donald. I've been saying that we're a young team and making young team mistakes. As we grow as a team, I'd expect these mistakes to decrease and in particular I'm seeing a more confident runner in Gibson and although he's not the best in terms of vision he is somewhat making up for it by running over a guy here or there. That can lead to injuries but it helps to establish a mentality and physicality of offense. 

I think that's our best bet and with that type of a system we can be a team similar to Tennessee and be in it against any team. But that said, I don't think its Turner's philosophy. It was Norv's philosophy, but I don't think Scott believes in the run like that. Awe I miss the days of Stephen Davis or Terry Allen. 

So your argument for it not being simple is that because we could have beaten the Giants and Browns that we are a top tier team like the Titans?

Even if we were 4-3, the only good win is against the Browns. And we aren’t sure what they are. They have beaten us, Dallas, Bengals x2 and a good win against Indy.

We got torn to shreds against the good teams.

I think it’s still as simple as I said: we aren’t the worst and we can’t hang with the best. We’re a lower middle tier team right now. 

Well I use the Titans as my example because in this 2020 NFL, they are the franchise I like the most. I was actually planning to watch their game on Sunday if ours got out of hand the other way. 

I just want a big running back, a good running game and a game manager who can make the occasional play at QB and a good defense. That's the Titans to a tee. That could be us because we have the framework for it. But Turner doesn't play or coach like that. Its funny that Kyle is in the discussions now because Mike S in Denver and Kyle S in San Fran (or Kyle S in Houston) are exactly what I wanted here. But instead we got 2010 Kyle S and 2011 Kyle S. So by the time we got to 2012 I was halfway done with Kyle S. I do wonder what Kyle could have done with Cousins and Morris though had he been made coach after 2013. That was impossible though because you can't fire teh dad and then hire the son to replace him. 

Yeah no need to over complicate this. We’re a 4-12 team playing in a **** division. Therefore those 6 divisional games becomes far more winnable meaning we could even push to 6-10 or 7-9. Looks like anyone good or above will largely kick our butt. That’s how it looks to me anyway.

17 hours ago, max21 said:

No one is beating the Jets to that first overall pick. No one.

They had four total yards of offense in the second half of last weeks game. FOUR.

The Athletic - Top performers of Week 7 - Arif Hasan 

RB Antonio Gibson, Washington

Washington has a remarkable pair of skill players to help out whoever they’ve got at quarterback in any particular week and sometimes they can really shine despite the limitations of the player under center. Gibson was an essential element of their dominant victory over the Cowboys. It might be fair to point out that the Cowboys aren’t a particularly great defense, but it’s not as if Washington’s run blocking has been consistent either. The right side of the line played well but just under half of Gibson’s runs went leftward, meaning he had to make do with some subpar blocking on a good chunk of plays. While Gibson is typically known for his combined yardage days. He actually didn’t need to be involved in the passing game too often and earned all 128 of his yards on the ground.

TE Logan Thomas, Washington

Earning some hidden yardage through defensive pass interference, Logan Thomas earned 60 yards in the air and another 19 yards by penalty. While a dropped two-point conversion attempt stings, he more than made up for it with a fantastic contested catch over Anthony Brown and his touchdown score, which required him to break a Jaylon Smith tackle short and beat Leighton Vander Esch as a runner to the corner. He was effective as a run blocker as well, given the former Virginia Tech quarterback a complete game as a tight end. His development in Washington has been meteoric and he might be the next to continue their remarkable tradition of players at the position.

LB Cole Holcomb, Washington

Though it would have been nice to include the spectacular day that Montez Sweat had, the only Washington defender to make the list this week is Cole Holcomb, who didn’t benefit from the Dallas injuries along their offensive line as much as Sweat did. Returning last week after spending a good chunk of the season in the trainer’s room, Cole Holcomb’s return proved he’s Washington’s best linebacker, and he found ways to impact the game from everywhere, from his presence in the run game as a heat-seeking missile with three stops to a blitzing pass rusher — once forcing an incompletion then a sack in the span of three plays, absolutely running through Ezekiel Elliott in the process. Holcomb also took advantage of the pass thrown behind Elliott in the red zone, picking off Andy Dalton after the ball clattered off the running back’s hands. That prevented Dallas’ best opportunity to close the gap before halftime and likely saved seven points. Holcomb didn’t give up any yardage in coverage, and his overall performance was as important as anyone on offense.

rest of article:   https://theathletic.com/2163457/2020/10/27/baker-mayfield-top-performers/

15 hours ago, KDawg said:

So your argument for it not being simple is that because we could have beaten the Giants and Browns that we are a top tier team like the Titans?

Even if we were 4-3, the only good win is against the Browns. And we aren’t sure what they are. They have beaten us, Dallas, Bengals x2 and a good win against Indy.

We got torn to shreds against the good teams.

I think it’s still as simple as I said: we aren’t the worst and we can’t hang with the best. We’re a lower middle tier team right now. 

But maybe, just maybe the gelling is beginning. Maybe they become a solid team unde RR.....growth is the key to success.

7 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

But maybe, just maybe the gelling is beginning. Maybe they become a solid team unde RR.....growth is the key to success.

Thats definitely possible and no better time to gel than against "bad" teams. The past 7 weeks we've been one of those bad teams, but all it takes is a few plays to go our way in these next few games for us to be considered a good team. Will it matter if we are a 9-7 team with wins against only sub 500 teams? If we can win the division and build a winning culture here then that should be alll that matters. 

2 hours ago, El Mexican said:

Three teams let off the gas while soundly beating us (Bal, Cards, Rams).

Let's not kid ourselves. Our D is nowhere near as good as the stats would make you believe.

I'd say it's a weak spot on the team, actually. Specially at MLB and safety.

two wildcards about the defense.

A.  When an offense like the Haskins led one, goes three and out like crazy, the defense gets exhausted especially over the course of a game.  There is a correlation between an awful offense and a defense not playing up to par. 

B.  In the last 2 years or so, this defense has risen to the occasion sometimes against really bad offenses.  But good offenses have smoked them.  i would like to see if this defense can actually wreak havoc on a good offense.  

Archived