Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Dallas I

KDawg

47 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Clearly McCarthy has completely lost the team. If we beat them again on Thanksgiving, I would bet ole Mike gets ****-canned the next day.

I really didn't see this coming, I liked McCarthy and felt ARod ran him out of town.  Guess not, he's toast within 24 hours of us sweeping them. 

44 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets canned tomorrow. I don’t think he does... but I wouldn’t be surprised.

It really depends on his contract.  If Jerry paid him $7/year for 5 years, that's a lot of dough to flush not even through year 1.  And he's going to have to eat Mike Nolan's contract too..

I loved this coaching move by Jerrah in the off-season.  McCarthy had Rodgers and some good teams and they consistently underperformed.  

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I really didn't see this coming, I liked McCarthy and felt ARod ran him out of town.  Guess not, he's toast within 24 hours of us sweeping them. 

Always thought someone as talented as Rodgers should've been in the Super Bowl more than once.  And that was not a good look for whoever was coaching him.

5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Always thought someone as talented as Rodgers should've been in the Super Bowl more than once.  And that was not a good look for whoever was coaching him.

Packers are cheap when comes to free agency, that was I felt their biggest problem. What they did recently is too little too late.

With different people getting more playing time recently.  Holcomb.  Schweitzer over Martin.  Curl.  Everett over Apke.

Combine that with this win.  Then the BYE.  Then a redemption game against the Giants right after.  I feel like this team will have some extra juice and motivation going into that game.

McCarthy is an absolute moron.  Complete dinosaur of a coach and couldn't have been happier when they hired him.

Its always fun to beat Dallas.  They have clearly given up on the season.  So its a cripple fight between us and Philly for the division?  Lol...k.

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I did. With the Packers, I never felt like he was even close to getting the max out of the talent there  Plus, his game management was atrocious.

In fact, I'm starting to wonder whether Garrett was secretly doing a great job in getting Jerruh's rosters as far as he did. Remember, Jerry is sort of a slightly more talented version of Dan Snyder when it comes to running a football team.

My observations:

1. Kyle Allen does not have an NFL arm and that's going to be a problem.  Against Dallas' defense, it's ok.  But he CAN'T be late on throws, everything has to be perfectly in rhythm because if he's a hair late on the throw, it gives defenders time to get there and make plays.  I think he played well today, he knows the offense, and he acted as a professional QB.  However, he's just physically limited, and has a moderate ceiling.  He could be a great backup.  But he is not somebody you can build a team around.  (This from the files, of, "yeah, duh."

He did play pretty well, though.  And he can move around a little bit, which is good.  

2. Gibson's talent is unquestioned.  His vision on runs is poor. On outside zone concepts, he consistently cuts inside before he should.  He has the speed to get outside, but he doesn't trust his eyes, so he gets north/south and gets what he can.  He does better when he not asked to press the outside, and make a decision.  When the play design is more north/south to begin with, he is better.

I attribute this to still learning.  He didn't have a lot of carries in college, and he's going to need to see a lot, make a lot of bad decisions, see them on film, get coached out if it.  It's going to take reps.  I hope they keep giving him the reps even though they aren't working quite right yet, because they are fantastic coaching tools.

3. Cole Holcomb is the best LB on the team by far.  And he might even be "good."  He seems to have good lateral speed, and dude is strong as an ox.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and improve, because it's just his second year, and he hasn't come close to reaching his potential.

4.  It won't show up much in the stat line, but Young was very disruptive.  I would like to see him have more sacks, but he's playing well, and forcing offenses to account for him.  He's also in his 7th game, missed one due to injury.  He's going to get better aslo. 

5. I'm really surprised they didn't get the ball to Inman at all.  He made some big catches last week on 3rd down, and has a good synergy with Allen.  

6. Game Management: I loved the idea to go for the TD on 4th and goal, I liked the QB sneak, I didn't lie the fact the OL, and I think specifically Scherff (because Allen went right immediately) couldn't find any crease.  But putting Dalton and that OL on the 6 inch line, we got the safety and the TD on the next drive.  

I'm sure some damn fool is going go be critical for not going for some type of a play when they got the ball back at the end of the half with 35 seconds left, and took a knee.  Given game situation, (they were up big and deep in their own territory), I'm fine with that. 

At the end of the game, Ron took his foot off the gas.  They could have scored 30+ points, but they basically just didn't try with ~11:30 to go in the game.  They had a drive which consisted of basically only runs (there was only one pass attempted), took   minutes which concluded with the Hopkins missed FG.   (It really would have been nice to get a FG there, which is a point below.) Regardless, if Ron had wanted to, they could have gone for one more TD on that drive and tried more than one pass, and the way the Dallas defense was playing, they probably would have scored.  But he was content to just run the hell out of the ball and win the game.  And I'm fine with that.  

8. Lies, damn lies and statistics: Except this time, the statistics don't really lie:

TOP: WFT won the TOP battle 36:24 to 23:26.  This is because they wracked up 21 first downs and were 9-15 on 3rd down conversions.  

Yards: They out-gained the Cowboys 397 to 142.  

The WFT dominated about every statistical category. 

9. The Cowboys are BAD.  Like historically bad.  Mike Nolan is an absolutely horrible coach.  I have no idea how he ever got a head coaching job.  He's easily as bad a coach as Manusky or Joe Barry.  He's been bad for 30 years but continues to get opportunities to be bad.  Shrug. McCarthy isn't much better.  The injury situation they have up-front on the OL is akin to what we dealt with in 2017.  You almost can't recover from that, unless you have a really mobile, top tier QB.  Which Dallas did, until they didn't. Dalton isn't good enough to overcome it.

However, if I was trying to coordinate the Dallas offense, I would have probably put a FB (or a TE if they don't have a FB) in, and pitch the ball to Elliot and try and get him outside on just about every 1st down.  The OL can't move any DL consistently.  The best chance they have is to get the ball into their best offensive players hand, running away from the defense, and see what he can do.  They did it twice.  It was somewhat successful both times.  I'm glad McCarthy is an idiot, because then he stopped doing it.

I would also roll the QB on every pass attempt because with an OL in shambles like that, if you let the DL know where they have to get to, that's just making it easier for them.  They didn't do that much either, and I'm grateful for it.  All this to say, McCarthy is a fool.   

10. Hop has the yips.  It might have cost the team a win last week.  He missed a makeable FG, and they lost by 1.  (There were other things, obviously, which contributed to that loss as well. Though he's already missed an EP this season, and I do wonder if that factored into Ron's decision to go for 2) It didn't cost them this game, but the question is, are you going to just let him see if he can work his way out of it, or is it time to bring in another kicker?  Finding a good kicker is hard.  So I get the desire to stick with a known quantity.  But I think they should be auditioning kickers over the bye week.  

Overall, this is a game they should have won, and they did win.  Waiting to see injury updates on Sweat and Moses.  If Sweat has a concussion, at least he has 2 weeks to recover, so there's a chance he wouldn't miss time depending on how he responds.  Moses, looked like a groin, and if it's a groin, it will linger, but with the week off, that might help.  We'll see.   I feel bad for Collins, but he wasn't playing really well, so the impact on the field might not be that noticeable, depending on how well Curl does.  Or if Ron bring in a vet.  

3 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Sighhhhhhhhhhh

He was a HC in San Fran.

His paragraph was about the COWBOYS though, not the 49ers, so i assumed he was trying to say he has no idea how he ever got a coaching job (defensive coaching job) but just happened to refer to him as a head coach by mistake.

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

His paragraph was about the COWBOYS though, not the 49ers, so i assumed he was trying to say he has no idea how he ever got a coaching job (defensive coaching job) but just happened to refer to him as a head coach by mistake.

Nolan is an absolutely horrible coach.  I have no idea how he ever got a head coaching job

If you're gonna try for gotchas, you need to read things more closely.

3 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Nolan is an absolutely horrible coach.  I have no idea how he ever got a head coaching job

If you're gonna try for gotchas, you need to read things more closely.

I did read it, and i KNOW it says head coaching job, my point was I assumed he typed “head coaching job” without thinking, when meaning to say DEFENSIVE coaching job. 

since the post is about the COWBOYS, i was guessing he was trying to talk about the guys CURRENT role.  

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My observations:

3. Cole Holcomb is the best LB on the team by far.  And he might even be "good."  He seems to have good lateral speed, and dude is strong as an ox.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and improve, because it's just his second year, and he hasn't come close to reaching his potential.

Holcomb showed good speed and awareness last year, but couldn’t get off blocks.  It seems like he’s gotten stronger and increased his awareness over the off season. He’s a bonafide starter IMO. 

45 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I never liked McCarthy.  It seemed every game, Rodgers had to pull a rabbit out of his hat because of some damn fool thing which happened.  GB didn't play disciplined, and they seemed to always have issues on defense.  

Now, they also had a talent problem in GB.  They seemed to never want to give Rodgers anybody but one dude to throw the ball to.  Which is somewhat odd, and I don't put that on McCarthy.

But I didn't like him.  When you have a top 3 QB in the league for that long, and you come up short the number of times they came up short, there's something else going on. 

Also, Rodgers, who granted, is a bit of a malcontent, didn't say many nice things about McCarthy even when he was still there.  That's pretty telling.  

I remember having a debate at some point, if Bill Belichick coached GB with those teams, they would have been the Patriots.  I'm not entirely sure if that's entirely true, but I think Bill would have done much better.  

McCarthy was fine early on in Green  Bay when they were young and developing and he could coach them up. Rodgers early development was largely because of McCarthy and it was McCarthy who wanted to start Rodgers and jettison Favre.

But as time went on, he never really adapted. And he's never really been a great leader of men.

If you put Rivera on Dallas they probably go 10-6 and run away with the division.

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I did read it, and i KNOW it says head coaching job, my point was I assumed he typed “head coaching job” without thinking, when meaning to say DEFENSIVE coaching job. 

since the post is about the COWBOYS, i was guessing he was trying to talk about the guys CURRENT role.  

No, I was referring to the fact that I am shocked, in his coaching career, he got a head coaching job.  Which was the SF49ers.  

I'm pretty well aware McCarthy is the Head Coach, because I lambasted him pretty good as well. 

5 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Holcomb showed good speed and awareness last year, but couldn’t get off blocks.  It seems like he’s gotten stronger and increased his awareness over the off season. He’s a bonafide starter IMO. 

I'd say he added strength:

Cole Holcomb is excited to play in Jack Del Rio's 4-3 defense - The  Washington Post

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No, I was referring to the fact that I am shocked, in his coaching career, he got a head coaching job.  Which was the SF49ers.  

I'm pretty well aware McCarthy is the Head Coach, because I lambasted him pretty good as well. 

Yes i know you knew who the head coach was. I just figured, since your post was about the cowboys in that section, that you were referring to his current role and might have said head coach by mistake. That’s simply where the confusion came from. I wasn’t saying you didn’t know who the head coach was 

Some thoughts: 

Allen (25), Payne (23), Sweat (24) and Chase (21) are all young, still learning and in a new system. Between the 4 of them there should be many highlight plays in the future.

Kyle Allen is only 24 years old...in his 2nd season as a starter. I'd say he is doing a great job and should only get better. Allen is a steady head who was a great trade get for this team. 

The WR's are babies by NFL standards. Who's gonna step up and just imagine when we do get another real WR to pair with Terry Mac!!!!!

Thomas is developing nicely as a TE.

Gibson is a stud in the making....and McKissic is a great compliment. 

Build the offensive line and add some playmaking linebackers and this team will be ready to play with anyone outside of the elite. 

Trust in Ron....while one win doesn't make a season it's easy to see what he's trying to do and for once in over 10 years we have a legit head coach. 

@KDawg you gotta give Gibson some stars/smileys in the OP.

Today was an end to end pasting of a terrible Dallas team.  I expected a close game, didn't expect that.  They are totally lost without Dak.  

Seeing Holcomb absolutely wreck Elliot on the way to that sack was fantastic.  Loved the long bomb to TMC.  Today was just a joy to watch, haven't felt that good about watching a game for a long time.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

@KDawg you gotta give Gibson some stars/smileys in the OP.

Today was an end to end pasting of a terrible Dallas team.  I expected a close game, didn't expect that.  They are totally lost without Dak.  

Seeing Holcomb absolutely wreck Elliot on the way to that sack was fantastic.  Loved the long bomb to TMC.  Today was just a joy to watch, haven't felt that good about watching a game for a long time.

Couldn’t do it. He was the honorable mention. He played great. But I couldn’t pass on McLaurin telling Diggs he was going to make him his ****, then doing it, then rocking the baby.

Archived