Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Dallas I

KDawg

Offensive Summary:

-Kyle Allen is reckless with the ball at times. He also has a good feeling for where defenders are coming from in pressure and the physical ability to escape via the run. He had a few key conversions on the ground and a few really heads up plays. He forces it a bit too much for my liking at times. His arm is... not strong. He played well, though, all things considered and could serve as an adequate backup for the long term perspective of the franchise.

-Everyone has shredded the Cowboys D this year, so it was no surprise that Washington totaled 208 yards on the ground. Antonio Gibson led the way with explosive runs, starting in the first quarter on a 20 carries, 128 yard and a touchdown performance. He did not have a single reception. McKissick proved he has some sneaky run ability yet again and can get himself into some tight spaces. 35 yards on 5 carries and 16 yards on 2 receptions.

-Time to acknowledge that Logan Thomas is a good tight end. Would it be nice if we could get a guy that could bump him to the #2 guy? Sure. But he's been good now for 6 weeks. He's had some poor moments, sure, but he is more than serviceable at the TE spot for this team.

-Terry McLaurin added another 7 reception for 90 yard day...with a touchdown. He now has 43 receptions, 577 yards and 2 TDs. That projects itself out to be 98 receptions, 1318 yards and 4 TD. 

-Only one wide receiver not named Terry McLaurin recorded a reception. That was Cam Sims who had a single catch for 22 yards.

-The offensive line looked like a well oiled machine against the flawed, exhausted and demoralized Cowboy front. This is going to wind up partial Fool's Gold, but Lucas looked good in spot duty. Martin moving to the bench did wonders for the offensive line as well. I saw Ismael in the game at center at one point, not sure how long he was in there. 

Defensive Summary:

-The Cowboy offense made the Washington D look like it was filled with All-Pros.

-Cole Holcomb was a spark plug. He is the best linebacker on the team. Today he did things he didn't do last year. He played downhill MUCH better than last year and he was aggressive and aware of the football. His speed is just as good as ever, if not faster. He is one of the two pieces to the LB puzzle moving forward (using a two week sample size). We still need another good one. Holcomb only tallied 4 total tackles but had a pick and a sack and his plays were all in big moments.

-DeShazor Everett is a better free safety than Apke. Two game sample but its hard to deny at this point. 

-Chase Young is likely going to be criticized by Washington fans yet again for another no sack performance, but his 6 total tackles led the team for the day and he added a TFL. He was all over the field and applying pressure to the Dallas QBs all day. 

-Montez Sweat continued his emergence today until he left the game with concussion symptoms. He had 3 total tackles, 2 sacks, a TFL and a forced fumble. 

-The secondary was largely untested today. Dallas made some nice completions on us as Cooper tallied 7 catches for 80 yards. But beyond that the secondary held its own as the Cowboy QBs were under duress on literally every play. 

-Daron Payne was once again a gap closing man amongst boys. 

Overall Summary:

-The bye comes at a good time with Christian, Moses, Sweat all beaten up a little bit. 

-This team desperately needs another starting caliber receiver, a quarterback that can start games, a linebacker, a safety and a couple of linemen before its competitive week to week with a team who has NFL caliber players on it and not all on IR. 

Studs/Duds:

***- Montez Sweat

**- Cole Holcomb

*- Terry McLaurin

:( - Dontrelle Inman - Not even a single target, where was he? This may or may not be on him but we need more from our #2. 

:( :( - Dustin Hopkins

:( :( :( - Jon Bostic - Dirty ass hit on Dalton. Unacceptable. 

Season Totals:

11* - Montez Sweat

6 * - Terry McLaurin

4* Antonio Gibson

4 * - Chase Young

3* - Kendall Fuller

3 * - Ryan Kerrigan

2* - Cole Holcomb

2* - Daron Payne

2* - Kendall Fuller

2 * - Jon Allen

1 *- Fabian Moreau

1 *- Jimmy Moreland

1* - Matt Ioannidis

1 :( - Secondary as a whole.

1 :( - Brandon Scherff

2 :( - Dustin Hopkins

2 :( - Landon Collins

2 :( - Kyle Allen

2 :(  - Geron Christian

2 :( - Troy Apke

3 :( - Offensive Line as a whole.

3 :( - Wes Martin

3 :( - Steven Sims 

3 :( - Jon Bostic

4 :( - Dwayne Haskins

4 :( - Coverage Unit as a whole entire thing: LBs/Safeties

5 :( - Linebackers as a whole.

So I'm going to put this here instead of the GDT. 

I am glad we had a running attack and a main back. It simplifies the offense and minimizes the number of mistakes that Allen, a young QB is exposing himself to.

Gibson is a young back and still learning but he is fun to watch. It would have been a nice team with Gibson and Guice because they are both big guys who are not going down easy. But I was more worried about Guice and his injuries. I just hope we can continue running the ball because everything else is better with that the ol, the TEs, the coverage on WRs, etc. 

Great write-up. I'll add - Turner had a great game plan easily his best of the year. He had Gibson, McKissic, Barber designed to their strengths.

Listening to McLarin after the game, he spoke extremely highly about Allen's play & leadership. Also said Turner is starting to open up more of the playbook. 

We played well, but its hard to evaluate anything because this Cowboys defense is not just bad, they aren't just worst in the league, but they are one of the worst defenses in league history. And their offense had a bunch of backup OL and a backup QB who was eventually replaced by a 3rd stringer.

Its basically the opposite of the Rams game.

The team should get Steven Sims back after the bye - if they choose to use him, that should help. As he showed last year, he is a guy who can consistently separate. Robert Foster should also be good to go. He's not a starter but he could serve as a legitimate deep threat for this team.

I think the problem with Allen (right now) is that (mistakes and not being aggressive enough aside), his arm strength limits the possibilities of the offense. It means that he has to be perfect elsewhere and when he's not we either have to get lucky or be dominant in other areas. He was starting to scare me late because he seemed to be freestyling more and that was leading to bad throws. 2 bad throws in the red zone almost got intercepted. 

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets canned tomorrow. I don’t think he does... but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Well he did get embarrassed by the Skins, but the question is are we as bad a team as we were last year when we got Ron fired? I think off the field we are, but on the field we look a lot better

Just now, Panninho said:

Good game, always great to beat the Cowboys. However, even though he had a good game today, I absolutely cannot believe how anyone can think Logan Thomas has had 6 good weeks now. Dude has been really bad in most of our games.

explain

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

explain

He gets basically no separation when he is in man coverage. He is soft and doesn't fight through contact most of the time - when he gets bumped it is over more often than not. He rounds out his routes and he has no YAC skills to talk about. He also offers very little in the running game.

Now I get that he is still somewhat of a project and it's not fair for him to be evaluated against other TE1s because it's just horrible roster construction that he has to assume the role of TE1 here but I absolutely cannot see why we should consider him a good TE. He is a servicable TE2 who makes a good play here and there but he has almost no consistency. The arrow is showing up but I can find a better TE on almost every NFL roster right now - that alone disqualifies him as being "good" in an NFL comparison.

Just now, method man said:

To back up KDawg, it's not a coincidence that Logan's stats have jumped with decent QB play. He doesn't have to dive all over the place for targets with the garbage Dwayne was throwing his way

And to clarify, I know I said "good six weeks" but I also added the disclaimer that it would be great if we could add a guy to make him the #2. 

Just now, Panninho said:

He gets basically no separation when he is in man coverage. He is soft and doesn't fight through contact most of the time - when he gets bumped it is over more often than not. He rounds out his routes and he has no YAC skills to talk about. He also offers very little in the running game.

Now I get that he is still somewhat of a project and it's not fair for him to be evaluated against other TE1s because it's just horrible roster construction that he has to assume the role of TE1 here but I absolutely cannot see why we should consider him a good TE. He is a servicable TE2 who makes a good play here and there but he has almost no consistency. The arrow is showing up but I can find a better TE on almost every NFL roster right now - that alone disqualifies him as being "good" in an NFL comparison.

Disagree with your overall perspective on him.

Fully agree that he isn't a big help in the running game. 

Seems like Landon Collins might have torn his Achilles?  That's rough.  I know we've all thought he's been disappointing, but a major injury is not how you want players being replaced.

So how does Kamren Curl respond as the new starter?  It's interesting.  He's better in coverage than Landon, so I feel like our defensive playbook just opened up.

Holcomb was aggressive.  Exploding into blockers trying to contain him.  Made our Front 7 look different.

This game made me think we've got some legit players all over the defense.  How much of that is from Dallas being minus 4 of 5 OL starters?

Sims, Thomas, Gibson, McKissic, and our OL are decent.  Still unsure about Allen.  Add in McLaurin and the offense has something there.  It's not much yet, but there's stuff to work with.

Maybe we can actually go on a mini-run after the BYE week.

Ron Rivera continued his aggressive decisions.  I'm liking this and hope he doesn't stop.

Good performances from some of the young guys. 

Allen is a gamer. He got lucky not to be picked a couple times.

WFT needs a couple more offensive threats, but you can start to see some good things coming into focus.

This Cowboys team isn't supposed to be rebuilding but sure looked like they should be. They could well go 2-14 and pick at 2 or 3.

Me, I'd rather see the WFT build on this and start to develop something than win the race to Trevor Lawrence. 

Kyle Allen is more mobile and has better ball placement all around the field including deep than Haskins and the vibe I get is higher intangibles than him, too.  So if i had to pick one or the other right now, I'd go Allen.  But I still think we need a Qb in the off season.    

Collins seemed to be playing with a lot of energy early on.  Looks like he's lost for the season.

D line feasted off of granted a mediocre O line but still fun to watch.

Holcomb plays with energy, good player moving forward, too bad he's not hot in coverage typically.

Gibson IMO is going to turn into a star over time.   I also like Mckissic.

Peyton Barber seems to be the same dude he was in Tampa, "meh".

Archived