Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

16 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I hope Jones keeps the Giants hostage and is just mediocre enough to hang onto the job two more years.

If Jones is jettisoned after 3 or 4, then who was the better pick Haskins or Jones? Lol Mediocrity is dangerous, show me who you are whether a bust, average or great, so we can keep it moving.

Here’s to Jones being just good enough to hang onto the job :)

Yeah agreed. If possible I'd much rather know quickly if my guy is a bust or a star so I can either drop him or start thinking about his extension. Unfortunately it's rarely that cut and dried. In a way we sort of got lucky with Haskins. He showed pretty fast that he was a colossal bust so we could move on quickly and without too much long term pain. 

I see people talking about how some in the NYG org expect Jones to make some huge leap this year. Not sure why. IMO he's the same dude he was in college and likely always will be. Decent at plenty but not great at much. Very turnover prone. Couldn't sense pressure if you literally wired a radar into his brain.

I hope they have to keep him for 10 years. lol

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bearrock said:

To be fair, no one can know whether a rookie QB is going to be generational.  You evaluate to see whether he has that potential.  It's pretty clear from post draft interviews that they didn't have that kind of grade on Fields (whereas they might have had something higher for Lance).  In that case, you ride with your evaluation and don't trade up.

I will say that if you don't have THE guy in your 

QB room, you have to keep throwing darts at the board and go for one at some point in the draft within every few drafts.  Quality starters are more likely in the first round.  Generational talents are so rare, in terms of getting one, they are all flyers.

And I think you can build QB first or team first.  Either approach works.  

You're right about not knowing if a QB is generational (although Andrew Luck struck me as that dude). But this team specifically needs to get it right at that position for once in its history. They have never drafted a franchise QB. But to that, I consider a franchise as a guy that runs your offense at a high level, makes plays when it needs to be made, leads your team and stays healthy. I am actually wondering about this Montez kid. They talk about him highly from time to time. If he makes the 53 this year that'll definitely be intriguing. 

10 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

In theory I ABSOLUTELY agree.

However, I suspect this has become a Trent Williams type of situation, where the player is completely fed up with the front office and just wants a change of scenery.

Also Rodgers knows he can get top dollar and a contract on his terms from any team that trades for him.

Brett Favre agrees with you....he thinks the damage is done and beyond salvageable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Fitz is about to be given a Ferrari of a roster. Not joking. Can he control it. Or will he crash and burn? That is the question. 

Driving a Ferrari is like sex. 

Peddle all the way to the floor, enjoy the ride while it lasts, and hope it doesn’t end like this...

image.gif.71e5064b1af57625aa5912d6d2d7a48c.gif

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Fitz is about to be given a Ferrari of a roster. Not joking. Can he control it. Or will he crash and burn? That is the question. 

Here he comes, here comes Fitz Racer, he's a demon on wheels!

16 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

one huge problem, among many, is that there is definite interest in making Rodgers the long-time Jeopardy host and that he may 'hang them up' in order to do so if things don't work out with his football demands

I kinda doubt the producers want Rodgers. He did a decent job but was pretty stiff on stage. It's leverage for him but probably undue.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

I kinda doubt the producers want Rodgers. He did a decent job but was pretty stiff on stage. It's leverage for him but probably undue.

Yeah. Not sure where this Jeopardy stuff is coming from. He's been one of twenty or so guest hosts they've had (many have yet to air). He certainly wasn't the best. I know he won't be first choice. And yet some people act like he's leveraging that job against the NFL? I'm sure Rodgers could find plenty of post NFL jobs (coaching, front office, commentator, etc...), but I don't think Jeopardy host is one of them.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

We may be in line for one of the most memorable seasons in a loooooong time. Fitz is ready to take this opportunity and run with it. I don't see him screwing this up, not with all of the talent he has around him. 

4 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

Charlie Weis pointed out yesterday on NFL radio that Rodgers would owe Green Bay 45 million $ if he chooses to retire....cross that option off the list of likely outcomes in this soap opera. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Charlie Weis pointed out yesterday on NFL radio that Rodgers would owe Green Bay 45 million $ if he chooses to retire....cross that option off the list of likely outcomes in this soap opera. 

It would be $23 million. It's to pay back unearned signing bonus money. That would be $11.5 million over 2021 and 2022. 

22 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

one huge problem, among many, is that there is definite interest in making Rodgers the long-time Jeopardy host and that he may 'hang them up' in order to do so if things don't work out with his football demands

I don't think Aaron Rodgers on Jeopardy is serious talk. He doesn't have the voice for it. I listened to him, he just doesn't have the gameshow host makeup.

55 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It would be $23 million. It's to pay back unearned signing bonus money. That would be $11.5 million over 2021 and 2022. 

Charlie Weis added up everything it would cost Rodgers to retire....including what you've mentioned, plus fines and possibly this years salary and it all comes to 45 million. Roughly 23 mil would be money Rodgers would have to give back that he's already pocketed based on what Weis said. Either way, he'd be out too much money to seriously consider retiring...at least one would think that?

58 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I don't think Aaron Rodgers on Jeopardy is serious talk. He doesn't have the voice for it. I listened to him, he just doesn't have the gameshow host makeup.

He was also a complete stiff.  

I don't think for a second there is serious interest in having him as a full-time host of the show.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He was also a complete stiff.  

I don't think for a second there is serious interest in having him as a full-time host of the show.

When Rodgers was still hosting, I figured that the best voice to try out would be a commentator, like Al Michaels or Joe Buck. A few weeks later, Jeopardy announced that Joe Buck will host a couple weeks in the summer. I'm tuning in for that. Joe's grown on me a lot. I think he'd be loose enough for it, considering his covid commentating videos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Charlie Weis added up everything it would cost Rodgers to retire....including what you've mentioned, plus fines and possibly this years salary and it all comes to 45 million. Roughly 23 mil would be money Rodgers would have to give back that he's already pocketed based on what Weis said. Either way, he'd be out too much money to seriously consider retiring...at least one would think that?

Yeah I was just talking about what he'd actually have to pay as opposed to that plus everything he'd be missing. Salary is paid out on a weekly basis during the season so if he retired before the season started he wouldn't actually owe any of that.

As far as him being out too much money...I dunno. Depends on how well he's invested his money so far and what his plans for the future are. He's made tons of money on ads and other things as well as his NFL pay so I have doubts that if he really was set to retire, the $23 million would be an absolute blocker for him, but it would sting.

I might be more inclined to believe he'd just refuse to play. He'd forfeit his salary but he wouldn't necessarily owe them money, though GB might try to contest that.

Edited by mistertim

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm surprised people actually watch Jeopardy

I rarely watch it anymore. When I was younger, I was all-in for Ken Jennings' streak and watched it religiously. Now it's just the fascination of crowning the new host.

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Where did the rumor come from? 

Probably a couple of pages back....

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

When Rodgers was still hosting, I figured that the best voice to try out would be a commentator, like Al Michaels or Joe Buck. A few weeks later, Jeopardy announced that Joe Buck will host a couple weeks in the summer. I'm tuning in for that. Joe's grown on me a lot. I think he'd be loose enough for it, considering his covid commentating videos.

I've understood why Joe Buck gets so much vitriol.