Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

At the end of the day, upgrading WFT's QB situation is not going to be easy going forward, partly because Fitzgerald is a very solid option when you go the veteran QB route.  Unless the last few years were a mirage, not every QB needy team can find someone of Fitzgerald's caliber in the offseason.  Is Fitzgerald the type of QB who can carry a team to the SB?  Obviously not, but few are.  Can he pull a Flacco, Eli, or Foles? He probably has a "stars aligned" playoff run in him.

Agree.  It's a good summary of the way I see it.  It's Fitzpatrick.  But I've done the Fitzgerald thing from time to time, too.😀

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  It's a good summary of the way I see it.  It's Fitzpatrick.  But I've done the Fitzgerald thing from time to time, too.😀

Lol, brain fart😂

26 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

If we would have gotten Alex Smith level play the entire year last year, would our team have had a better record? 

Our QB was SO bad the last few years, that R Fitz... even if you aren't sold on him is a major upgrade. Our whole roster got better. Our team would be better this year with Alex smith level play just based on adding a few more pieces and not losing any. The only thing holding us back this year is our schedule, if we perform against the top of the NFC, we could make some noise in the postseason. 

Fitz is so much better than anything we've had in DC in a long time and I'm so confused why people are still moping around about it. 

Whether he's an upgrade or not isn't in dispute.  Nobody's arguing that he isn't.  I'm not debating that.  

Just one big wrench 🔧 in Rivera’s plan; Dan Synder. If the team is winning and making the playoffs; while Ron waits, then no problem. Dan will be patient.

If the team isn’t making playoffs and/or having a losing season; Dan won’t be as patient and depending on his mood; Dan could fire Ron and the gm crew.

I predicted 9-8 and no playoffs for 21 and said their would be rumblings of Ron being on the hot seat in 22.

Dan Synder is the biggest threat to any long term plan; Rivera may have.

One more thing about Fitz.  He had a weak offensive line, 28th last year according to PFF.  It was even worse in 2019.  And its not like they were loaded with weapons either.  IMO Fitz played well even though he was dealt a tough hand. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

32. MIAMI DOLPHINS

There wasn’t much debate about the worst offensive line in the league last year, as Miami ranked last in both pass and run blocking — only one of the seven linemen with at least 330 snaps graded above 60.0.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 1.15.56 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Just one big wrench 🔧 in Rivera’s plan; Dan Synder. If the team is winning and making the playoffs; while Ron waits, then no problem. Dan will be patient.

If the team isn’t making playoffs and/or having a losing season; Dan won’t be as patient and depending on his mood; Dan could fire Ron and the gm crew.

I predicted 9-8 and no playoffs for 21 and said their would be rumblings of Ron being on the hot seat in 22.

Dan Synder is the biggest threat to any long term plan; Rivera may have.

I guess it depends what you mean by patience. Snyder gave Gruden five years and Bruce Allen ten. The fans lost patience with both way before the owner. Before Gruden, Shanny was given four really horrible years. (minus RGIII's rookie season.)  So, from one perspective, Snyder is ridiculously patient. Now, if you are wondering how long he can hold out before feeling the itch to meddle...?

That will always have to be managed.

Aaron Rodgers Trade To Washington? A Dallas Cowboys Problem:

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/aaron-rodgers-trade-washington-dallas-cowboys-problem

It's an entertaining notion - and the Cowboys, as haughty as they can sometimes seem, would surely acknowledge that a Rodgers-led WFT, which is the defending NFC East champ, after all, represents a frightening thought.

But before the scare ... is there anything there?

Barnwell dutifully points out some of the obstacles, which include the Packers' stated desire to retain the future Hall-of-Famer, the $30 million Rodgers might owe back to the team if he quits, the fact that he is both an MVP and in decline, and the $37.2 million in dead money Green Bay would have to eat in a trade.

So, onto ESPN's proposal ... and our thoughts:

Packers get: 2022 first-round pick, 2022 second-round pick, 2023 first-round pick, 2023 second-round pick, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick and DT Matt Ioannidis.

On the plus side, in our view: A Rodgers-led Washington team would jump near the top of the NFC as a Super Bowl contender - and isn't that the point of it all?

On the minus side:

*Barnwell writes that "Washington would have to pay more than its AFC competition to get a deal done.'' This, philosophically, goes against everything WFT boss Ron Rivera has told us about "capital.''

*We're also not sure why Green Bay wants to take on Fitzpatrick when part of the reason for this issue is the Packers presence of young QB Bryce Love.

*Aaron Rodgers is ... a drama queen. In addition to our bet that he would like more money (something rarely mentioned by his cadre of media supporters), he wants to be on the West Coast. That's lovely; he's from Northern California and his girlfriend is a Hollywood starlet and a native of Colorado, so moving to the 49ers, Raiders or Broncos makes sense for him.

But try to ship him someplace not of his liking? His history - including this very episode - demonstrates that he will make trouble for you.

There is an easier way for Green Bay to proceed: Work just as hard at repairing the relationship as the media is working to conjure up trades.

As for Dallas, which had its own dance with QB Dak Prescott - but never this sort of ugliness: Rodgers has long been a thorn in the side of the Cowboys. "The best throw you've ever seen''? Cowboys fans all too easily can visualize the options that come from the arm of Rodgers vs. Dallas alone.

Rodgers has also been a thorn in the side of Dallas coach Mike McCarthy - and it was even thorny when the two of them worked "together'' in Green Bay. 

Nah, the Cowboys don't want to see this guy in Washington. They don't want to play him twice a year. And they won't like it when the WFT's roster is suddenly better than theirs.

Better to let the superstar QB who is a pain in the neck go become coach Gruden's solution/problem in Vegas, right?

And then the Cowboys can turn their attention to the next NFC East QB trade worry: That the Philadelphia Eagles will soon be calling Houston about Deshaun Watson.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One more thing about Fitz.  He had a weak offensive line, 28th last year according to PFF.  It was even worse in 2019.  And its not like they were loaded with weapons either.  IMO Fitz played well even though he was dealt a tough hand. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

32. MIAMI DOLPHINS

There wasn’t much debate about the worst offensive line in the league last year, as Miami ranked last in both pass and run blocking — only one of the seven linemen with at least 330 snaps graded above 60.0.

Wonder how they ranked in his starts?

17 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Wonder how they ranked in his starts?

You mean whether they played better for him?  I don't think its like our O line that played better for Alex versus Haskins if that's what you are getting at it.

In 2019, they had a dearth of talent at that spot.    Then they loaded up in the draft some for 2020 but those were young players learning the ropes, they improved some but nothing hot.  Fitz had one of the worst numbers from an O line stand point as for time in the pocket.  So I think the O line wasn't hot for him either. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You mean whether they played better for him?  I don't think its like our O line that played better for Alex versus Haskins if that's what you are getting at it.

In 2019, they had a dearth of talent at that spot.    Then they loaded up in the draft some for 2020 but those were young players learning the ropes, they improved some but nothing hot.  Fitz had one of the worst numbers from an O line stand point as for time in the pocket.  So I think the O line wasn't hot for him either. 

Ya, I’m a believer the Oline PFF stats are most often directly related to the QB, outside of the elite talents. 

Edited by wit33

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Count me in the camp who would move heaven and earth to get Aaron Rodgers.  But I am not spending much energy on it.  I just don't see how it happens.  So I am not going to torture myself by debating it. :ols:

Same. The cap hit alone would destroy this team because of how fast we’d need to get under and who we’d have to get rid of to make it happen AND have to work around dead cap.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Count me in the camp who would move heaven and earth to get Aaron Rodgers.  But I am not spending much energy on it.  I just don't see how it happens.  So I am not going to torture myself by debating it. :ols:

Yeah, if GB trades him, he's going to the AFC.  Denver or Vegas make all the sense in the world.

Just wanted to add that if GB trades Rodgers, then all of a sudden, our game against GB becomes much easier.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Same. The cap hit alone would destroy this team because of how fast we’d need to get under and who we’d have to get rid of to make it happen AND have to work around dead cap.

I don't think the trade happens either for myriad of reasons, but on the cap front, Rodgers only has a 14-15 mil base salary this year and extension/raise that would come with such a trade likely extends out that contract for 5 years or so, giving WFT room to maneuver this year's hit.  

But yeah, it's a pipe dream.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I don't think the trade happens either for myriad of reasons, but on the cap front, Rodgers only has a 14-15 mil base salary this year and extension/raise that would come with such a trade likely extends out that contract for 5 years or so, giving WFT room to maneuver this year's hit.  

But yeah, it's a pipe dream.

Cap hit is 37M. 14 base. GB would have to cover part of the cost for sure. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Cap hit is 37M. 14 base. GB would have to cover part of the cost for sure. 

Yeah, the prorated signing bonus and restructured money is close to 15 mil, which GB would have to eat without cooperation from Rodgers and the trading team.  GB already paid out the 7 mil in roster bonus.  

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The cap would be a challange.   They got some cap room left for a running start and perhaps they can restructure some contracts like other teams did to get under the cap.  But I agree its a hassle.   

A.  You got to get GB to decide to trade him to an NFC team which i've read they are hesitant to do.

B.  Unlike some other teams we don't have multiple ones we can give away next season

C.  Rodgers doesn't have a no trade clause yet getting him to agree to a contract redo will likely be part of the trade.  So if we aren't on his short list of places he wants to go, it could be a problem. 

D.  Rivera is beloved by most.  But it seems like his relationship with Alex might not be in the best place.  If Aaron asked his close pal Alex for his thoughts about playing here, it might not be a glowing endorsment

E.  If GB would want a young QB to compete and or to provide insurance for Jordan Love, we don't have that chip to give

F.  We aren't on the west coast or a media market like NY.

I could probably think of some other things too if I bothered to put the time in it.  But it just feels like a wild reach and we'd be just setting ourselves up for dissapointment if we focused on it.  I could be wrong but that's my take at the moment.   Now if i heard from some insider type Aaron wants to play here or some real rumor versus mere speculation than I'd change my mind. 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The cap would be a challange.   They got some cap room left for a running start and perhaps they can restructure some contracts like other teams did to get under the cap.  But I agree its a hassle.   

A.  You got to get GB to decide to trade him to an NFC team which i've read they are hesitant to do.

B.  Unlike some other teams we don't have multiple ones we can give away next season

C.  Rodgers doesn't have a no trade clause yet getting him to agree to a contract redo will likely be part of the trade.  So if we aren't on his short list of places he wants to go, it could be a problem. 

D.  Rivera is beloved by most.  But it seems like his relationship with Alex might not be in the best place.  If Aaron asked his close pal Alex for his thoughts about playing here, it might not be a glowing endorsment

E.  If GB would want a young QB to compete and or to provide insurance for Jordan Love, we don't have that chip to give

F.  We aren't on the west coast or a media market like NY.

I could probably think of some other things too if I bothered to put the time in it.  But it just feels like a wild reach and we'd be just setting ourselves up for dissapointment if we focused on it.  I could be wrong but that's my take at the moment.   Now if i heard from some insider type Aaron wants to play here or some real rumor versus mere speculation than I'd change my mind. 

Make it easy and just say NO to Aaron Rodgers.  We have Fitz.  We made our decision to go with him and let it play out and look ahead to 2021.  I think you favor this too, SIP.  However you speak for yourself, bro.  :) 

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Nah, the Cowboys don't want to see this guy in Washington. They don't want to play him twice a year. And they won't like it when the WFT's roster is suddenly better than theirs.

Do they seriously believe that our roster isn't ALREADY better than Dallass' roster?!?!??? 

Seriously. 

Hail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1