Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I am curious, and this isn't snarky or condescending in ANY way, I'm just merely curious to know if those were you two options, which in your opinion gives you the best chance to win? My opinion is right now it's Smith because of how the defense is playing but Cousins if I wasn't so confidence in their ability to win a game on their own.

I don't really like either option, honestly. Sorry if it came off like I thought either was a good QB. I just think one is closer to that than the other.

I'd take Cousins, since, if memory serves correctly....he played pretty well in that playoff game vs GB. I feel like if that defense wasn't a bleeding civ run by a clown, they may have won. (or if Desean Jackson could hold on to the ball until he crossed the goal line).

****ing Aaron Rodgers and his quick snaps. Now I'm in a mood.

But yeah, I wouldn't be overly confident in either option.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

They are gonna tailor the game plan to Dwayne's strengths....lets see how he does. I think he's gonna show up big time. 

I'll try to quote again...had the wrong thread opened...but I wonder why they didnt tailor the game to his strengths at the beginning of the season or during the 2nd half of the 9ers game...

Edited by Stefanskins

2 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

I'll try to quote again...had the wrong thread opened...but I wonder why they didnt tailor the game to his strengths at the begging of the season or during the 2nd half of the 9ers game...

I still wonder what kind of magic O'Connell worked to get Haskins to look competent at the end of last year. Maybe Turner just doesn't mesh as well, or maybe they were just playing awful defenses. Really looked like a different player back then though.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

I'll try to quote again...had the wrong thread opened...but I wonder why they didnt tailor the game to his strengths at the beginning of the season or during the 2nd half of the 9ers game...

Bc I think they are still trying to figure out what exactly are haskins strengths.

32 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

That have to figure out his strengths first.

Sorry dude, I basically stole your line, didn't see it til just now.  Guess we are on the same page with this one.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

I still wonder what kind of magic O'Connell worked to get Haskins to look competent at the end of last year. Maybe Turner just doesn't mesh as well, or maybe they were just playing awful defenses. Really looked like a different player back then though.

More than likely: the whole team and Dwayne had a whole offseason + the season to learn the offense with O’Connell. Obviously that wasn’t an option this year. 

20 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Bc I think they are still trying to figure out what exactly are haskins strengths.

Sorry dude, I basically stole your line, didn't see it til just now.  Guess we are on the same page with this one.

It’s not like we weren’t ALL thinking it when we read that post.

• Like 2

I am sure I am in the minority by far here but I expect to see a much different Haskins this Sunday for lots of reasons. He has a huge opportunity to put himself back into play in the league whether it's here or elsewhere. Haskins to Terry this Sunday for a big day....130 yds, 2 TD's. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

The boys can taste it....as RR said to the team on Sunday, no one wants to play us right now. 

Although I agree with your entire post, I think Rivera said that on Sunday not knowing the extent of Alex's injury.  Here's hoping they duplicate what the Vagiants did to Seattle, but it will be a challenge.

1 minute ago, SAli457180 said:

Although I agree with your entire post, I think Rivera said that on Sunday not knowing the extent of Alex's injury.  Here's hoping they duplicate what the Vagiants did to Seattle, but it will be a challenge.

At this point, we just need a guy back there who doesn't turn the ball over and can generate 13 points....Alex looked really old and bad vs SF before he went out, had a bad pick too. This team is playing with so much confidence right now that I think they can will DH into playing a solid game. If you trust  in our coaches then you can trust that they will steer Haskins into playing a solid game and not ask him to do anything near what they allowed him to do back in September. He is gonna be under coaching control and asked to keep it close until they have to rely on him to make plays. Otherwise this game is on the defense and offensive line....special teams. Same formula we beat the Bengals with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Why is everyone giddy about the idea of paying top dollar for a top 16 QB? 

You are not getting it. The advantage of trading for a Stafford or a Carr is that you get the teams they are currently on to eat the signing bonus, leaving you with just the base salaries + roster bonuses + other incentives. This means vs eating a cap hit of $30M+ a year, you eat a ~$20M cap hit, which is where Alex Smith is at. Thus, by trading draft compensation vs signing them, you are effectively saving yourself $10M-$20M in cap room over 2 season for both guys (they each have 2 years left on their deals after this year). 

2 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Absolute pass on Carr. Dude is average at best, is always injured, and unreliable. 

Carr has been balling this year and has been above average under Gruden. He has also done it with one legit weapon in Waller and without a defense for most of his tenure there. There is value to be unlocked by bringing him here - it wouldn't surprise me if JDR pushes for him

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

More than likely: the whole team and Dwayne had a whole offseason + the season to learn the offense with O’Connell. Obviously that wasn’t an option this year. 

Not really true. The team ran Jay's offense while he was here in 2019 and then ran Callahan's run heavy offense for a bit before letting KOC finally call plays toward the end of the year, which is when Jay lit it up. I'm sure KOC's playbook was similar to Jay's but I think we got a hint at how special KOC is because he was able to tailor the offense in some way to fit Dwayne. 

• Like 3

Best option is to roll with what we have now and hope for progression with our 2nd year quarterback. It saves us from spending a ton on a FA qb, or valuable draft assets on another project. Now, if Dwayne can’t show any potential from now til the end of this season, then I guess we have to go that route. 

10 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

At this point, we just need a guy back there who doesn't turn the ball over and can generate 13 points....Alex looked really old and bad vs SF before he went out, had a bad pick too. This team is playing with so much confidence right now that I think they can will DH into playing a solid game. If you trust  in our coaches then you can trust that they will steer Haskins into playing a solid game and not ask him to do anything near what they allowed him to do back in September. He is gonna be under coaching control and asked to keep it close until they have to rely on him to make plays. Otherwise this game is on the defense and offensive line....special teams. Same formula we beat the Bengals with.

I don't see how 13 points is going to beat Russell Wilson and DK Metcalf.  But I do kinda think there's a good chance Dwayne plays well, at least in stretches. Sports kind of works that way, where the backup comes in and gets hot.  Of course with Dwayne it would not be sustainable but I can certainly see it for 3 hours on Sunday, especially against that defense.  

I'm not going to lose confidence before we even play. I don't foresee positive things but I'm going in hopeful that Haskins is going to take a major jump as the starter. In the past he had shown that he didn't prepare well as a back up, so maybe that's the case again.

This is what I have and all I have from believing we're going to get throttled.

Hopefully he prepares as a starter and goes off. 

• Like 1

Thing with Haskins, he’s contracted to us for a couple more years. I’m not sure, even with improved performances, he would be ready to start in 2021.

But, the standard of back up and #3 QBs around the league largely average at best. I mean, is he is that bad that he can’t stick around in some capacity next season, that is an atrocious reflection on him, he must be able to meet those #2/3 standards if nothing else, right?

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Thing with Haskins, he’s contracted to us for a couple more years. I’m not sure, even with improved performances, he would be ready to start in 2021.

But, the standard of back up and #3 QBs around the league largely average at best. I mean, is he is that bad that he can’t stick around in some capacity next season, that is an atrocious reflection on him, he must be able to meet those #2/3 standards if nothing else, right?

I would not keep Haskins as a #2 QB.  The only way he might make my team is as a #3 QB.  

The only way Haskins improves is if he mentally buckles down this offseason and comes to the realization that there is no way in hell he should have been a first round draft choice.  He needs to understand that he will be out of the league in a couple of years if he doesn't become a serious student of the game and improve his skills in every facet.

15 minutes ago, jnhutchi3 said:

I would not keep Haskins as a #2 QB.  The only way he might make my team is as a #3 QB.  

Either way, Kyle Allen and Dwayne Haskins as a #2/3 combination isn’t the worst in the world....if we have a true #1 on the roster as well.

14 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I am sure I am in the minority by far here but I expect to see a much different Haskins this Sunday for lots of reasons. He has a huge opportunity to put himself back into play in the league whether it's here or elsewhere. Haskins to Terry this Sunday for a big day....130 yds, 2 TD's. 

I think for sure we will see a motivated and prepared Haskins.  If Haskins is going to slack again in preparation it won't be this game.  Too much at stake both for the team and his career.

Do I have faith in Haskins abilities?  Nope.  When we were having QB discussions like this before that draft I wasn't a Haskins guy.  Having said that, I am not in the Haskins is a bust crowd.  I think he has the ability to be mediocre at times.  I see him as a low end starter or backup.   He's also streaky because his footwork is streaky.  So we maybe we get one of the good streak games, he's due. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Top need per team.  Looks like PFfF thinks we need to be in the Qb business in 2021.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-biggest-offseason-need-for-every-nfl-team-2021-nfl-draft-free-agency

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: QUARTERBACK

The Dwayne Haskins era is over in Washington, and Alex Smith — as admirable as his comeback was — will in all likelihood be a cap casualty. Kyle Allen…well…let’s say he isn't a long-term option. The only question that remains is how they address it, as their current hot streak has seen them sink further and further down the 2021 NFL Draft.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Top need per team.  Looks like PFfF thinks we need to be in the Qb business in 2021.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-biggest-offseason-need-for-every-nfl-team-2021-nfl-draft-free-agency

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: QUARTERBACK

The Dwayne Haskins era is over in Washington, and Alex Smith — as admirable as his comeback was — will in all likelihood be a cap casualty. Kyle Allen…well…let’s say he isn't a long-term option. The only question that remains is how they address it, as their current hot streak has seen them sink further and further down the 2021 NFL Draft.

I don’t think I would consider Alex Smith as being a potential ‘cap casualty’.

He may not be here, but the driving factor won’t be the salary cap IMO.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KDawg said:

Carr’s cap hit next year is $22M. It’s better than $35M I guess.

I'd need to see some type of proof to buy that is 35M.  I am not a cap expert but just logically it makes no sense to me.

The Lions in a trade would have to eat the bonus money.  The bonus money is what sends Stafford's contract from the 20s into the 30s.  

So WFT doesn't have the bonus money on their books but just the guaranteed salary.  The Lions take the cap hit for the bonus money.  But also the WFT takes a cap hit for the same bonus money that they Lions are responsible for and they are not?  So its a way to punish teams who make trades where two teams get taxed cap wise on the exact same pool of money?  I get the idea of punishing teams for contracts by making them absorb all the bonus money and take the cap hit.  But to actually punish the team who takes on that same player by being taxed for the same bonus money that they aren't even paying or responsible for?  

That seems wild to me.  That would mean the same pool of money is taxed twice in a salary cap hit by both us and the Lions.   And WFT is taking a cap hit for money they aren't even paying out?  I got some doubts that how the rule is.  But obviously I am not a cap expert but it doesn't make any logical sense to me.

What would make sense is the Lions take the bonus money cap hit which I know is what happens for sure.  The WFT takes over the salary cap hit for the salary which I also know what happens for sure.  But both teams taking a cap hit for bonus money that just one team is paying? 

if that's the rule that's wild. But I'd need to see that to believe it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Pretty sure if a team acquired Stafford on his existing contract you’d get him for 20mil through the cap.

However, I would say that any trade for Stafford would be conditional on Stafford getting a new deal. No chance he would play on a new team on a ~10mil salary with a 10m roster bonus on top. No chance at all.

• Like 1