Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

33 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I believe, after hearing RR speak about Cam, that he really likes and believes in Cam. I am not agreeing with or endorsing bringing Cam Newton here, and I don't know that he has done anything to prove that he should come here. I do believe RR has a familiarity and a comfort with Cam Newton, a former league MVP, and that he might be willing to roll the dice on a cheap veteran who is still in his early 30's and knows the offense. RR is all about culture and team, if he feels Cam can come in here and add to what he is building then all I'm saying is do not be surprised. Did you see the story several weeks ago where Turner and Cam were working on expanding the offense in Carolina to best fit Cam's skill set and how excited Newton was? All before Carolina made the coaching and QB changes. 

When you look at all of the options, and what it would take to get a Stafford or Ryan, or trading up to get a rookie QB, Newton becomes more and more a possible option if he is just sitting there on the open market. Again, just look at the big picture and it makes sense. If Belicheck thought enough to bring Cam Newton to New England then why wouldn't RR who has had success with him before? 

Because it is very obvious that this is no longer the Cam who was the MVP of the league. That was clear as he sat at home while other QBs were signed in a league full of teams desperate for a QB.  There was a reason he settled for a very cheap deal in NE then proceeded to underperform that deal. 

There is little to make us believe Ron was ever on board with signing Cam then and this offseason. 

10 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Wouldn’t love losing a 1st though, especially as that’s probably our best shot at a long term qb.  

I do wonder what stafford's trade value is.  He is an above average qb, no doubt, but he has an injury history, including back problems which are a big red flag.  He also doesn't have a great record as a starting qb, which I know isn't all his fault, but it's not exactly a selling point either.  And like we had with our own situations regarding dunbar and trent, if you are motivated to trade a player, you might have to accept a package lower than you anticipated, just to be able to move on, which detroit may choose to do with a new coach /gm.

If detroit wanted a 1st for stafford, I'd tell them to go pound sand.  Considering the factors I mentioned above, and his hefty cap number, detroit may have no other choice but to accept a couple day 2 picks as the best offer.   I could live with that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

<snip>

Totals:

with smith: 10-5 (I'm counting houston game)

Without smith: 6-24

I understand how comparing qbs by their win loss record can be misleading, but those numbers are staggering....

<snip>

Staggering indeed. They are also deeply mysterious. 

You can almost imagine a bionic superstar clone of Brady, Mahomes, and Marino producing that difference in a team's W/L record. But Alex Smith has done this without even playing well.

Is Alex so inspirational that everyone around him is suddenly much better when he's the starter? Including the defense? Does he beam waves of electrostatic despair into the brains of opposing players and coaches?

Like I said. Mysterious.

Edited by Kelvin Bryant
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

This is from November but applicable.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/10/lions-trading-matthew-stafford-after-2020-scenarios-unlikely-to-happen/

Trading Matthew Stafford won't be easy if the Lions choose to even try

There is a growing sentiment in the Lions fan base that it’s time for the team to move on from quarterback Matthew Stafford. After his uninspiring performance in the Week 9 loss to the Vikings and the long-term inability to ever get over the proverbial hump in Detroit, it’s an understandable position.

If the Lions do choose to move on from Stafford after the 2020 season ends, it might not be so easy to have a clean break.

Stafford is under contract through the 2022 season. Technically it’s through 2023 but that last year is a voidable window dressing to spread out the cap hit from his five-year, $135 million extension he signed in 2017.

The most recent restructure added to his cap figure for 2021. Stafford now counts $33 million between salary and bonus proration. It also jacked up Stafford’s cap figure for 2022 by $3 million, to $26 million.

No matter how much anyone dislikes Stafford or thinks he needs to go, the Lions are not eating $59 million in cap room over two years. That would represent a paralyzing move that would destroy any (hypothetical) new regime’s ability to make needed changes across the rest of the roster.

Trading Stafford is also unlikely, but it’s at least a realistic possibility. A trade, depending on the date, would remove the salary portion of Stafford’s cap hit as well as his roster and workout bonuses, which totals $20 million in 2021 and $23 million in 2022. A deal before June 1st would still cost the Lions $19 million in a cap hit for 2021, per Over The Cap.

But losing $19 million is at least conceivable, whereas swallowing $33 million simply is not. Finding a trade partner, on the other hand…

Any team trading for Stafford will have to have the cap room to onboard his salary and the associated bonuses. They will also have to be willing to part with significant draft and/or personnel assets to make it happen. In a season with an uncertain salary cap due to the COVID-19 pandemic and loss of revenues, that’s asking a lot.

There are also two exceptional QB prospects at the top of the draft class in Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields. North Dakota State’s Trey Lance and BYU’s Zach Wilson also project as potential top-10 QBs and they have age and longer-term financial stability on their sides.

Read as: No QB-needy team picking in the top 10 in its right mind is giving away that opportunity to acquire Stafford.

Put the shoe on the other foot for a minute and (gulp) pretend you’re a fan of the Washington Football Team. They’ll be picking above the Lions–barring an unexpected hot streak from the 2-6 team on its third-string QB. Would you want your team to bypass taking Fields to trade for a 33-year-old with an injury history who has never won a playoff game? Yeah, me neither.

Don’t expect there to be a clamoring for his services. The same reason so many fans are ready to move on from Stafford — the age, the injuries, the years of playoff futility, the inexplicable cold streaks within games — are valid reasons why other teams won’t be all that excited about giving up a lot to acquire him, in a buyer’s market, no less.

The only real chance is for a mid-level team that feels like they are a QB upgrade away from competing for multiple playoff wins to take a shine to Stafford. That would be the Colts if Rivers retires, Steelers if Roethlisberger retires, Patriots (maybe), Browns (maybe) or 49ers (who would have to send Garoppolo away to make it work). The Giants and Cowboys probably merit mention, though at this point I don’t buy either of them having interest. The Bears and Vikings might also fit but trading viable starting QBs within a division is akin to divorcing a spouse only to have them marry your more successful sibling a week later.

In short, don’t expect a trade. That doesn’t mean one will not happen, but it’s a lot more complicated than just screaming “trade Stafford” at the sports radio call screener.

My take: I would not get rid of Stafford but if another team calls, I’m at least listening to the offer. I respect the fans who are ready for a break. I’m not there yet, in part because I know how difficult it is to find a capable QB and I don’t trust the current regime to find one if they let Stafford go.

I do believe having Stafford in place is attractive for any new head coach, too. Keeping him doesn’t preclude Detroit from drafting his potential successor, a la Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes in Kansas City, and I’m ready to explore that option, too. I expect Matthew Stafford to be the starting QB for the Detroit Lions in 2021 no matter who is in charge of the team

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

You can almost imagine a bionic superstar clone of Brady, Mahomes, and Marino producing that difference in a team's W/L record. But Alex Smith has done this without even playing well.

Is Alex so inspirational that everyone around him is suddenly much better when he's the starter? Including the defense? Does he beam waves of electrostatic despair into the brains of opposing players?

Like I said. Mysterious.

I agree, he hasn't played all that well.   I think a big part of it is protecting the football and not making boneheaded plays.  Winning the field position battle.  And I don't think there is any doubt that players in the huddle would be more confident with Alex smith than dwayne haskins.  Probably a variety of little things that together make a huge difference, as the numbers prove.  

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I agree, he hasn't played all that well.   I think a big part of it is protecting the football and not making boneheaded plays.  Winning the field position battle.  And I don't think there is any doubt that players in the huddle would be more confident with Alex smith than dwayne haskins.  Probably a variety of little things that together make a huge difference, as the numbers prove.  

Smith hasn't even protected the ball all that well (6 picks in 7 games). If there's an explanation for this that doesn't involve the supernatural, I haven't seen it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

Is Alex so inspirational that everyone around him is suddenly much better when he's the starter? Including the defense? Does he beam waves of electrostatic despair into the brains of opposing players and coaches?

Like I said. Mysterious.

Yeah not only has Alex Smith gotten through a horrific injury he now apparently has the power to make Chase Young a force, he was the guy behind all the plays Sweat is making as well. With such power I now understand the love for a QB who is just not playing that well.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 2

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah not only has Alex Smith gotten through a horrific injury he now apparently has the power to make Chase Young a force, he was the guy behind all the plays Sweat is making as well. With such power I now understand the love for the guy.  

You're referring to the same Chase Young and Montez Sweat who were also playing when Haskins was the QB?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

Smith hasn't even protected the ball all that well (6 picks in 7 games). If there's an explanation for this that doesn't involve the supernatural, I haven't seen it.

Well he had one bad game with three picks where he was throwing it all over the field. Not a good game from him. Take that away and he’s been pretty responsible. I know at least one of the other picks wasn’t on him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Well he had one bad game with three picks where he was throwing it all over the field. Not a good game from him. Take that away and he’s been pretty responsible. I know at least one of the other picks wasn’t on him.

That isn't really my point. You just can't explain the difference between 10-5 and 6-24 by looking at what Alex Smith is doing on the field. 

For lack of a better theory, I'm staying with "beams waves of electrostatic despair into the brains of opposing players and coaches" for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I do wonder what stafford's trade value is.  He is an above average qb, no doubt, but he has an injury history, including back problems which are a big red flag.  He also doesn't have a great record as a starting qb, which I know isn't all his fault, but it's not exactly a selling point either.  And like we had with our own situations regarding dunbar and trent, if you are motivated to trade a player, you might have to accept a package lower than you anticipated, just to be able to move on, which detroit may choose to do with a new coach /gm.

If detroit wanted a 1st for stafford, I'd tell them to go pound sand.  Considering the factors I mentioned above, and his hefty cap number, detroit may have no other choice but to accept a couple day 2 picks as the best offer.   I could live with that.

Yep. I don't see a 1st happening either, especially with this deep QB class. At most, I think something like a 2nd and Settle gets it done. More realistically, I think a 2nd or a 3rd and Settle get it done. I'd go with the latter package as we won't be able to afford Settle beyond next year anyway and Ioannidis / Brantley are coming back.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

Pretty easy, actually. The defense believes that Smith gives them a chance to win. That absolutely elevates their play.

plus they seem to like him. So when he makes a mistake they are much more willing to look beyond it and have his back than they are to get pissed off that the guy keeps screwing up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'd add to that the fact that Smith's numbers are very comparable to the other QBs. The sad thing is that Kyle Allen has been the best QB for this team this year and he's probably not going to get a chance to be the starter next year unless its as a bridge option for a new rookie QB. I think - more than anything else - Kyle Allen coming in and showing both Dwayne and Alex how this offense should look has helped with moving the ball more and helped Scott in terms of what he likes for guys like Thomas, Sims and JMC. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Pretty easy, actually. The defense believes that Smith gives them a chance to win. That absolutely elevates their play.

plus they seem to like him. So when he makes a mistake they are much more willing to look beyond it and have his back than they are to get pissed off that the guy keeps screwing up.

If that's the case, it's much more important to have a QB who the other players like and respect than one who plays well. This has the potential to revolutionize drafting.

Edited by Kelvin Bryant

19 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

It kills me. I HATE Alex’s game and it frustrates me to no end. But the dude just always wins no matter where he is. I don’t think he’s had a losing record in 10 years. And it’s always because of everything else. It’s never him knowing what he needs to do and what he shouldn’t do. He knows how to read the game situations. He won’t take unnecessary risks if he doesn’t have to and he will when he does. Doesn’t always work out but that man has so much game awareness.

Let's say for arguments sake Alex is the be all and end all QB who is just screaming SB QB.  And also lets say the dude only wins and the idea that he wouldn't also in turn beat dudes like Mahomes in the SB is a wives tale that only haters believe.   Lets say we got one of the best QBs in the league if we want to win a SB.   Do you trust his durability at 37 years old coming off of that injury to last the season and post season?

I am listening to radio segments right now about how the calf in his bad leg bothered him before last week and it lingered and some concerns exist its still lingering so do we sit Alex down and rest him some more and maybe he's better the following week, etc.   

So lets ride on  a year later, a year older, we can relax about Alex and his bionic leg at 37?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

If that's the case, it's much more important to have a QB who the other players like than one who plays well. This has the potential to revolutionize drafting.

This is not a new concept. 

Why do you think the Ravens D didn’t give up when their offense **** the bed continually? They knew Dilfer worked his ass off and tried.

Why do you think Manning’s Broncos were able to come his horrendous physical play but rally behind him anyways?

The idea is to find a guy the locker room believes in and has some skill. Usually it’s a balancing act.

Cousins was a guy that teammates didn’t completely buy in to. Look at him in Minny. He’s been underwhelming because he’s not a real relatable dude.

Notice I’m not saying he’s not likeable. Just not a guy that has the charisma of a Manning type. 

Mahomes is a guy the team loves AND has skill.

Rodgers by reports is prickly... but the team totally buys into him and his abilities and would follow him through a brick wall.

Its not all about likeability. 

The word to use is trust. And yes, entire teams falter all the time because the QB is a problem. This team was on that path with Haskins.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Let's say for arguments sake Alex is the be all and end all QB who is just screaming SB QB.  And also lets say the dude only wins and the idea that he wouldn't also in turn beat dudes like Mahomes in the SB is a wives tale that only haters believe.   Lets say we got one of the best QBs in the league if we want to win a SB.   Do you trust his durability at 37 years old coming off of that injury to last the season and post season?

I am listening to radio segments right now about how the calf in his bad leg bothered him before last week and it lingered and some concerns exist its still lingering so do we sit Alex down and rest him some more and maybe he's better the following week, etc.   

So lets ride on  a year later, a year older, we can relax about Alex and his bionic leg at 37?

I would let him choose, but then base my offseason on letting him know he’s not guaranteed a roster spot if he returns, move forward with Allen as the de facto one, grab a vet and grab a rookie and let all four compete. Low man on the totem pole leaves.

And for Alex, if he’s not the starter he’s probably the one removed. 

But yes, there has to be a plan at QB beyond Allen and Smith. That much I think 98% of this forum agrees on. But it’s just not an easy task especially now. 

we have no idea how this plays.

Someone may fall in our laps.

Or we may find ourselves without any real Avenue to improving the position without doing something drastic.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I’m not saying we only go into the year with Alex. If we plan on starting him next year then we absolutely have to draft someone this year. Trading for Stafford hinders the ability to do so in that by trading draft capital were forced to make a choice between drafting someone to improve the team now or not drafting a qb. I don’t trust Alex’s long term health but I’m not exactly convinced Stafford has that much left in him either before he completely breaks down.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am listening to radio segments right now about how is calf in his bad leg bothered him before last week and it lingered and some concerns its still lingering so do we sit Alex down and rest him so maybe he's better the following week, etc.    A year later, a year older, we can relax about Alex and his bionic leg at 37?

The obvious solution is to look at the potential FA (and available) QBs and look for who has the best winning record. 

Not Matthew Stafford (losing records this year and last year)

Dak Prescott went 2-3 this year but had non-losing records otherwise

Philip Rivers has a 4-12 and 5-11 in there. 

Jacoby Brissett has a 4-11 season

So that leads us to 

drumroll please

Tyrod Taylor

He's the next Alex Smith. 

15 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

If that's the case, it's much more important to have a QB who the other players like and respect than one who plays well. This has the potential to revolutionize drafting.

Yeah I didn't get that either.  

I am convinced Alex Smith wants to return, who wouldn't after all he went through?  He did all of that because he wanted to play, can't blame him, and now that he is the starter why would he walk away from that?  I still see the most likely scenario is Alex is the starter, Allen is signed to compete for the position and they draft a QB early.  But I can also seem them coming back with all three and working with Dwayne rather than giving him away for nothing.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

17 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

That isn't really my point. You just can't explain the difference between 10-5 and 6-24 by looking at what Alex Smith is doing on the field. 

For lack of a better theory, I'm staying with "beams waves of electrostatic despair into the brains of opposing players and coaches" for now.

You don’t have to explain it. That’s intangibles. He was a winner in SF and in KC. He just knows what is required of him to win. He’s not interested in stats and pro bowls, he’s all about wins and losses.

Again, this is coming from someone that HATES Alex’s game. I hate watching him play. I hate his stupid check downs and unwillingness to take risks and open it up. It’s annoying and frustrating. But I can’t argue with his track record. And right now we’re on a 4 game win streak coinciding with when he took over the offense. There could be a million reasons why were winning. Doesn’t matter. He’s a big part of it even without the big numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Ron and company decide to ride with Alex, then it must include Kyle Allen. Almost treat those two as 1a and 1b and draft a young dude. I think that’s the easy solution. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Again, this is coming from someone that HATES Alex’s game. I hate watching him play. I hate his stupid check downs and unwillingness to take risks and open it up. It’s annoying and frustrating. But I can’t argue with his track record. And right now we’re on a 4 game win streak coinciding with when he took over the offense. There could be a million reasons why were winning. Doesn’t matter. He’s a big part of it even without the big numbers.

I honestly enjoyed watching Kirk Cousins lose games more than I enjoy Alex Smith winning them. I am not even joking. I hate the way he plays that much.

Anyways, whatever. I don't agree with the intangibles BS, but it doesn't even matter. Maybe he is the all knowing embodiment of risk management, but he's gonna be 37, has one robot leg and can barely run. I think his time is nearly over whether he retires or not, so the whole discussion is moot. If people honestly think he's up for another 16 healthy games next season, then I'm speechless. Need a QB that is better than league average to win anything worthwhile, and, given Alex's age, need one soon.

Am I crazy?

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If you play with Alex you’re going to have an opportunity to be in 80-90% of games, win 65% of the time, have an opportunity to showcase your talent in meaningful situations consistently that leads to extensions or money elsewhere (this is what players care most about— their  livelihoods) and being genuinely nice dude is the topper. Plenty of nice guys at QB that teams have turned against, you have to produce and provide consistent results. 

Edited by wit33

4 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I didn't get that either.  

I am convinced Alex Smith wants to return, who wouldn't after all he went through?  He did all of that because he wanted to play, can't blame him, and now that he is the starter why would he walk away from that?  I still see the most likely scenario is Alex is the starter, Allen is signed to compete for the position and they draft a QB early.  But I can also seem them coming back with all three and working with Dwayne rather than giving him away for nothing.  

You didn't get that Alex Smith quarterbacked Washington teams have more wins than non quarterbacked Washington teams since he came to DC?

You've always been opposite my Dilfer Theory...

But it's not saying that a well liked/QB that has the trust of his team is going to out duel a guy that is more highly skilled and has the trust of his team. That's not how it works.

How it does work, though, is if your talent levels are relatively close, having a QB that your team trusts and believes in will always give you a chance.

I don't believe our D is good enough to win a Super Bowl on the back of Alex Smith against a guy like Mahomes. We aren't in the 2000 Ravens class. Or the Manning Broncos' defensive class. But he's enough to give us a fighting chance every week.

Here's the other factor that goes against Smith, however: Part of the reason his teammates look beyond some of his poor play is his story. They are inspired by it. They don't want to be the guys that are mad at the guy who almost died who is somehow quarterbacking a team that was dead in the water to a possible NFC East title and playoff berth. Granted, winning the NFC East is nothing to brag about, but it is an auto playoff berth. And beyond that, we're 1 game out of the wildcard right now I believe (I'd have to fact check that).

His grace period may be up heading into next season.

I strongly believe we need to upgrade the QB position. But I'm not sure we will have the avenue to do so and we may wind up with Allen as the starter and Smith as the backup and a rookie sitting and waiting for his turn. 

We could also wind up having a situation that a QB falls in our lap.

Right now I don't think Detroit parts with Stafford for less than a 1.

But if the new HC wants to start over, which IS possible (it's equally possible that the new HC takes the job because of Stafford, for what it's worth), we may be able to get him for a day 2 pick if they just want to move on. But I do believe they take his cap hit regardless. So they'll probably want the compensation to match that hit. 

5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

If Ron and company decide to ride with Alex, then it must include Kyle Allen. Almost treat those two as 1a and 1b and draft a young dude. I think that’s the easy solution. 

I'd be ok with that.  

#1 - AS.      #2 - Allen to step in if AS gets hurt   #3 - haskins - inactive on game days, one more season to show growth and earn another shot here.  If not, bye bye.      I like that we can enter the draft without feeling forced to draft a QB, which will most likely result in overpaying for a bust at the expense of filling other holes with that draft capitol.  If a prospect we like is there for us to take on draft day, great, take him.  I'd have no problem cutting ties with DH to groom future franchise qb, and the rookie QB can be the 3rd string / inactive / redshirt. 

• Like 1