Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

21 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Oof.

Trying to beat Seattle with Dwayne Haskins back there? Even with Seattle's bad defense, that's a surefire L.

I actually think it’s perfect. No excuses for Dwayne not to at least be ok against that defense. His performance will go a long way in knowing what he can bring to the table 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Just thought I would point out that the defense doesn't actually play better with Alex. They're just on the field a heck of a lot less because Alex understands how to move the sticks. It feels like a miracle any time Dwayne gets a first down. 

That's an important factor that separates the winning QBs from the losing QBs.  The winning QBs, like Smith, moves the sticks, eats up the clock, and keeps the other team's offense off the field.

Edited by jnhutchi3

15 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I actually think it’s perfect. No excuses for Dwayne not to at least be ok against that defense. His performance will go a long way in knowing what he can bring to the table 

Yeah, the bright side is that Washington still has a reasonable shot of winning the NFC East if they lose this game.  Any game that Haskins starts is almost a guaranteed L, especially against a stellar QB like Russell Wilson.  Haskins will probably make 5 mistakes for every one of Wilson's mistakes.  You can tell the rest of his teammates don't believe in Haskins, either.

41 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Oof.

Trying to beat Seattle with Dwayne Haskins back there? Even with Seattle's bad defense, that's a surefire L.

Keep the faith....if we are in the game at halftime we can win the game with DH. Our defense dominates second halves of games. Dwayne just has to protect the football and make a few plays...have faith that we will draw up some plays that he can make, even if it means Logan Thomas throws the pass!!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Keep the faith....if we are in the game at halftime we can win the game with DH. Our defense dominates second halves of games. Dwayne just has to protect the football and make a few plays...have faith that we will draw up some plays that he can make, even if it means Logan Thomas throws the pass!!!

I expect the game plan to be similar to what we did against Baltimore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Fortunately the team doesn't need to believe in Haskins. This is the game where you tell your young playmakers they need to step up and carry the young QB. I think they're ready for the challenge, but anything can happen.

If there were ever a time to make a defender miss to get that YAC, to snatch a ball in a tight window or that isn't placed great, to fight for those extra yards on each carry as a RB, it's this one. And they know it, too. Dwayne doesn't have to lead, no halftime speeches or yelling at the O line or commissioning a portrait of him talking to Russ after the game. Just focus on his own performance and let his guys carry him. That would be maturity and growth in his own modesty, which would be a huge sign of progress tbh.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 1

This is very polarizing but Derek Carr may be another QB who will be available this offseason. I think he is the new Dalton - the definition of a league average starting QB. 

He has two years left on his deal and will be a cheaper option trade compensation wise tham Stafford. He would cost $20M/season (same as Alex Smith). If they weren’t sabotaged by a bad D, I think the Raiders would have been on their way to a wild card spot.

The thing to keep an eye on is that Del Rio was his coach on Oakland and they won the division together. They would’ve made noise in the playoffs but Carr got hurt before the end of the regular season

Bottom line is his numbers have been good despite no real weapons outside of Waller. He had the Raiders winning despite Agholor being his #1 WR

Edited by method man
  • Like 1

If the NYG can go to Seattle and absolutely kick their ass with a good running game and Colt McCoy, then why can't we kick Seattle's ass with them having to come all the way East to face the defense playing better than any defense in the entire league? This is not your same old Redskins team we are watching. The Seahags didn't exactly dominate the Eagles a few weeks ago either. Dwayne is gonna be ready, plays are gonna be called for him and he is going to hit Terry deep, at least once. I can't wait to see this game. Many of you didn't think we could beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, we beat San Fran out West and now we get a true playoff matchup with a good NFC team at our house. Time to make another statement and take another step towards winning this division. The boys can taste it....as RR said to the team on Sunday, no one wants to play us right now. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WEARE1554 said:

Agree with you on Derek Carr.  I think he is way better option than most.  Not sure what it would take to get him on a trade from LV though

Lets hope Mariota lights it up here on out. Gruden has always had a mancrush on him, which is why he gave him a 2 year deal.

My guess is something like a 3rd and Settle is the most Carr would cost - he likely comes cheaper than that

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

What would he cost? Any ballpark guesses?

Depends if Gruden wants to keep him or not. If he wants him it’ll take a lot more than it’s worth. If he doesn’t I’m sure they’ll start with a 1, realize that’s insane, ask for a 2.

I think a 2 is possible. Maybe a 2 and say, a sixth. Not sure if it comes down more from there or not. But who knows .

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Depends if Gruden wants to keep him or not. If he wants him it’ll take a lot more than it’s worth. If he doesn’t I’m sure they’ll start with a 1, realize that’s insane, ask for a 2.

I think a 2 is possible. Maybe a 2 and say, a sixth. Not sure if it comes down more from there or not. But who knows .

Maaaaan I would jump at a 2 and a 6. We can win a Super Bowl w/ our Defense + Carr. Can draft a Rook in any of the next couple years, too.

A 2 and a 6 to guarantee yourself a top-16 QB? I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If the NYG can go to Seattle and absolutely kick their ass with a good running game and Colt McCoy, then why can't we kick Seattle's ass with them having to come all the way East to face the defense playing better than any defense in the entire league? This is not your same old Redskins team we are watching. The Seahags didn't exactly dominate the Eagles a few weeks ago either. Dwayne is gonna be ready, plays are gonna be called for him and he is going to hit Terry deep, at least once. I can't wait to see this game. Many of you didn't think we could beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, we beat San Fran out West and now we get a true playoff matchup with a good NFC team at our house. Time to make another statement and take another step towards winning this division. The boys can taste it....as RR said to the team on Sunday, no one wants to play us right now. 

I don’t have zero faith, but we have so many guys ailing, it’s gonna be tough sledding.  Gibson, the ILBs out, McLaurin looks limited, Allen, Barber and McKissick all were hurt.  Moses looked gimpy last game as well.  We’ll see!

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Carr’s cap hit next year is $22M. It’s better than $35M I guess.

Pretty sure the cap hit wouldn’t be 35.  I believe it’s 20 after Detroit eats the signing bonus portion and restructure bonuses (then 24 in 2020).  Maybe I’m reading the contract wrong.

43 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't think we can win a big game with Haskins, unless we get really lucky in the turnover battle.  Haskins just doesn't have the confidence.  And he is definitely not as poised as McCoy.    

Seattle will do a good job disguising their defensive coverages and I suspect Haskins will throw at least one costly interception.  If the game is close in the 4th quarter I suspect Haskins will choke under the pressure.  Washington is usually so far behind in the 4th quarter when Haskins is QB that he doesn't have to worry about choking in a close game.  

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Why is everyone giddy about the idea of paying top dollar for a top 16 QB? 

I'm not.  I would rather take my chances with a QB no one else wants or find a QB in the draft.

Edited by jnhutchi3

3 hours ago, jnhutchi3 said:

This has got to be one of the most moronic things I've read on here.  I watched Cousins throw for 300 yards many times.  And then he would throw that 1 boneheaded interception that cost Washington the game.  I definitely didn't enjoy it.   

Stats are meaningless.  The only stats that matter for QBs are wins and losses and interceptions.  Smith is a far superior QB than Cousins, even after his broken leg.

Yeah....if you think Smith is a better qb than Cousins, then we don't share enough common ground to even enter into a dialogue on that point.

Alex Smith bores the **** out of me. I hate watching the guy play football, I've hated it since before they even made that horrible trade to bring him to Washington, and I hate it even more now. I watch this awful team for entertainment, so yeah...... The defense is fun to watch, at least. That being said, entertainment is subjective. If I thought this was in any way a championship level team, and Smith was 10 years younger, maybe I'd feel differently.

I think we just value different things. It's not that big a deal. Sorry to bring up Cousins, everybody. it was just the best example in recent memory.

1 minute ago, SpacePenguin said:

Yeah....if you think Smith is a better qb than Cousins, then we don't share enough common ground to even enter into a dialogue on that point.

Alex Smith bores the **** out of me. I hate watching the guy play football, I've hated it since before they even made that horrible trade to bring him to Washington, and I hate it even more now. I watch this awful team for entertainment, so yeah...... The defense is fun to watch, at least. That being said, entertainment is subjective. If I thought this was in any way a championship level team, and Smith was 10 years younger, maybe I'd feel differently.

I think we just value different things. It's not that big a deal. Sorry to bring up Cousins, everybody. it was just the best example in recent memory.

Honest question. You’re in a playoff game or in a game you have to win to make the playoffs. Which QB would you rather have behind center?

6 minutes ago, jnhutchi3 said:

I don't think we can win a big game with Haskins, unless we get really lucky in the turnover battle.  Haskins just doesn't have the confidence.  And he is definitely not as poised as McCoy.    

Seattle will do a good job disguising their defensive coverages and I suspect Haskins will throw at least one costly interception.  If the game is close in the 4th quarter I suspect Haskins will choke under the pressure.  Washington is usually so far behind in the 4th quarter when Haskins is QB that he doesn't have to worry about choking in a close game.  

I'm not.  I would rather take my chances with a QB no one else wants or find a QB in the draft.

They are gonna tailor the game plan to Dwayne's strengths....lets see how he does. I think he's gonna show up big time. 

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Honest question. You’re in a playoff game or in a game you have to win to make the playoffs. Which QB would you rather have behind center?

You already know the answer. I really don't wanna drag this thread down that hole of darkness and despair.

Let's just say I'll take a third option that is both capable of pushing the ball downfield AND not choking and throwing really bad interceptions with the game on the line. You know, the kind of QB that you can actually win playoff games with. The kind that you draft in the first round usually and isn't picked by the owner.

The kind the Redskins would never have :P

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SpacePenguin said:

You already know the answer. I really don't wanna drag this thread down that hole of darkness and despair.

Let's just say I'll take a third option that is both capable of pushing the ball downfield while not choking and throwing really bad interceptions with the game on the line. You know, the kind of QB that you can actually win playoff games with.

I am curious, and this isn't snarky or condescending in ANY way, I'm just merely curious to know if those were you two options, which in your opinion gives you the best chance to win? My opinion is right now it's Smith because of how the defense is playing but Cousins if I wasn't so confidence in their ability to win a game on their own.

7 hours ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

Staggering indeed. They are also deeply mysterious. 

You can almost imagine a bionic superstar clone of Brady, Mahomes, and Marino producing that difference in a team's W/L record. But Alex Smith has done this without even playing well.

Is Alex so inspirational that everyone around him is suddenly much better when he's the starter? Including the defense? Does he beam waves of electrostatic despair into the brains of opposing players and coaches?

Like I said. Mysterious.

You’re joking but I’m legit thinking this is one of those weird, unexplainable situations in sports. I don’t know how he does it but he wins. Makes no sense. He is a living breathing sports cliche. He is the embodiment of “finds a way”. I don’t want him starting in 2021 but it is uncanny