Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As I've stated here enough, I am not a Darnold guy.  But if they end up chasing him, I wouldn't offer more than a third.  A 1st or 2nd rounder IMO is rich for a dude that even his biggest fans can't argue that he isn't a reclamation project.  This isn't Stafford or Carr who have actually played consistently well in the NFL.   Also you don't benefit much from the rookie contract with him, he's one year away from being out of that.   

So on the off chance, he plays well you will immediately have to pay him big money the next year.   So in effect what you are doing is buying that none of the FA recalamation projects which you can have for free are worth messing with whereas Darnold you'd be willing give up likely multiple picks and if he has a good season, you'd also be willing to jump into the inflationary high salary game with him because that's how it would likely go down.    You'd have to a minimum take the option 5th year which I understand would be 25 million. 

But considering all the desperation in the air at the spot, it wouldn't shock me that some sucker team offers a first for Darnold.  

I wouldn't even offer a 3rd.

I don't want Darnold.  Flacco came in and immediately was an upgrade this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

I wouldn't even offer a 3rd.

I don't want Darnold.  Flacco came in and immediately was an upgrade this year.

Me neither. One year rental potentially on that rookie deal. Can’t see him being worth 25mil in 2022 on the 5th year option either.

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Be interesting to see what happens if the Cowboys franchise Dak. Another franchise tag would mean 50+, so seems likely another franchise would screw them on a long term contract. 

Plus, teams apparently would have no issue offering two first round picks for him either. 

Agreed, especially as was stated earlier in a tweet Dak has a 2nd surgery.  IF in fact he checks out 2 1st would be a steal for the team that got him however Jones will find a way to keep him a Cowboy.  This we know.  

2 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Be interesting to see what happens if the Cowboys franchise Dak. Another franchise tag would mean 50+, so seems likely another franchise would screw them on a long term contract. 

Plus, teams apparently would have no issue offering two first round picks for him either. 

They’ll just give him the deal he wants through desperation and fear of losing him, I think.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As I've stated here enough, I am not a Darnold guy.  But if they end up chasing him, I wouldn't offer more than a third.  A 1st or 2nd rounder IMO is rich for a dude that even his biggest fans can't argue that he isn't a reclamation project.  This isn't Stafford or Carr who have actually played consistently well in the NFL.   Also you don't benefit much from the rookie contract with him, he's one year away from being out of that.   

So on the off chance, he plays well you will immediately have to pay him big money the next year.   So in effect what you are doing is buying that none of the FA recalamation projects which you can have for free are worth messing with whereas Darnold you'd be willing give up likely multiple picks and if he has a good season, you'd also be willing to jump into the inflationary high salary game with him because that's how it would likely go down.    You'd have to a minimum take the option 5th year which I understand would be 25 million. 

But considering all the desperation in the air at the spot, it wouldn't shock me that some sucker team offers a first for Darnold.  

Just don't want the guy.  So far, RR has been patient.  That's key.  Hopefully, he and the crew remain this way.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My gut right now is if teams are offering a stupid amount of draft capital then I'd rather do it in the draft if they love a dude like they supposedly love Fields (according to Sheehan)

Aside from Watson, which is an outlier, I have no interest in trading away our 2022 first rounder.

#19 this year, and/or any other pick is fair game in a trade, draft included, but not next years first.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Isn’t a third tag $50 million and they are already close to that over the cap?  The team is going to be terrible.  It’s not like when Dak was playing they were doing good.

They could just convert the salary owing to both Lawrence and Cooper to bonus and create a load of space. They have other contacts to go at as well.

I feel like im taking crazy pills- I thought the general consensus on Darnold is backup at best, if even still in the league in a few years. Has he had even one “wow” type play in his career outside of that one MNF a couple years ago? He hasn’t even shown flashes. What am I missing?

are we really that desperate? Or is this a case of “we’re gonna link every qb to wft cause we have no idea”? 

Edited by benskins26
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, benskins26 said:

I feel like im taking crazy pills- I thought the general consensus on Darnold is backup at best, if even still in the league in a few years. Has he had even one “wow” type play in his career outside of that one MNF a couple years ago? He hasn’t even shown flashes. What am I missing?

are we really that desperate? Or is this a case of “we’re gonna link every qb to wft cause we have no idea”? 

Here you go... every pass he completed in 2020. Note: there are no incompletions, sacks, or INTs in this video. These are the highlights. But dude, first 5 minutes of this video there are probably a half dozen plays that were better than anything we’ve seen outside of Taylor Heinicke for years.

I think he’s still got potential and if it doesn’t cost a 1st I’m on board. Tannehill was picked up off the scrap heap from Miami and instantly looked 10x better when he got on a good team. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

Dak is going to be one of the worst contracts in the league mark it down. Your going to be paying top 3 three QB money for guy thats not a bonefied top 10 QB. I much rather trade 2 1st for Carr and his 20 million  cap hit for 2 years  than pay Dak 40 million per year and give up two 1st. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

It's 930am and I have received texts from 2 big Jets fans I rarely hear from.

They both are lol'ing.

One said "Washington being Washington, thanks Dan"

I sure as hell hope its no higher than a 3rd if they feel this is their guy. 

well I just did a search and I'm not finding anything new on us, them and Darnold

• Like 1

I’ll let the team talent evaluators decide if Darnold is a good fit.  The problem is that they have to decide whether or not to exercise the fifth year option.  Could be a costly mistake if he doesn’t pan out.  Plus if he plays well over the next two season, we’ll be in the same boat as we were with Cousins.  I don’t see the upside here.

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

Losing a 2nd and a 4th for darnold would be a fleecing.  Hope that source has no legit info.

Seriously. Wishful Jets fan. I mean it makes no sense. Wentz is injured garbage but at least you’ve seen potential there. Darnold’s career to date, and his contract situation make zero sense for anyone to give up anything more than a late round flier. It really doesn’t make sense to give up anything at all. Wait a year. They’re not paying him 25 mil. 

Darnold - can’t think I’d give more than a 3rd. 

The risk associated with the 5th year option, it guarantees through injury, means you can’t exercise that in May.

You would have to consider giving him a new mid range contract if you traded for him.

55 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Isn’t a third tag $50 million and they are already close to that over the cap?  The team is going to be terrible.  It’s not like when Dak was playing they were doing good.

It's amazing how Jerruh had a front-row seat to our Kirk Cousins debacle and still might pull off the same boneheaded move. No fool like an old fool, I guess.

I've never been *that* impressed with Dak. I mean, he's good, but "mortgage the next decade" good? I don't see it. The Cowturds have too many other problems.

I'm really hoping that Rivera isn't getting an itchy trigger finger and doesn't for a bad option this year. I know there's a lot of pressure to fix the QB situation, but making it worse with a bad contract on a dud would be terrible.

• Thanks 1