Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/10/nfl-mailbag-dallas-cowboys-expectations-dak-prescott

From Not who you think I am (@DonRidenour): Do you have the same confidence in Fields as you had in Haskins last year?

Don, I don’t know if Justin Fields will become a roaring success in the NFL the same as I didn’t know whether Dwayne Haskins would become one. Here’s what I do know—they’re very different people, and very different athletes. In a few ways …

• Maturity questions dogged Haskins at Ohio State, through the draft process and manifested in the NFL. You won’t find the same questions on Fields, who was way more mature and much quieter. Fields largely eschewed the spotlight attended to being a quarterback at that school and earned respect with his play, becoming a captain as a junior.

• There were also questions on how Haskins would stand in against a rush, and take hits in the pros. No one’s going to question Fields’s toughness or competitiveness. In those two areas, Fields was considered elite among those at OSU. You can ask Clemson about it.

• And finally, Fields is a much better athlete than Haskins was coming out. The expectation of the Ohio State people is that he’ll run in the 4.4s, and he’s plenty capable of sub-4.45 at his pro day, which would put him in rarified air among QBs. (The last QB to run 4.4 at the combine was Robert Griffin III in 2012.) By comparison, last year, Jalen Hurts ran 4.59, and Justin Herbert ran 4.68. And Fields, by the way, plays at between 225 and 230 pounds.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ODU AGGIE said:

I think there is more than one team interested in Mariota

Yes, you'd be surprised how many teams have very similar wishlists, as us...even within our own division

2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Considering he is getting zero hype, he will be affordable

I'm not so sure of that.

After the other QB's on the market get taken, I could see how his stock and his price could then rise, due to supply and demand.

It's like a hot chick at a party, full of hot chicks. She doesn't really stand out, until the time that everyone realizes the other hot chicks have then been taken.

Then the guys are like, "Hey how did I miss her ?" Next thing you know, several guys are over there chatting with her, wanting to make plans with her, for later.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are starting the 2021 ES Mock Draft! We will have 32 GMs and run the full 7 rd draft. The start date is Friday March 26th. We need a few GMs! This is good time to try your hand at what is the closest thing to being a real GM you can get and not get fired or lose money for making mistakes 🙂  It is a lot of fun. This will be my 6th season participating and I have a great time every year! 

Here a link to the thread!  Please read the rules (unfortunately you have to have those or it's utter chaos!) and if you are still interested please @COWBOY-KILLA- know. He will be the GM for this year - a repeat performance from last year where he did a great job!

The teams that need GMs as of last night are below (there are two prospective GMs that may have picked teams by now). Let @COWBOY-KILLA- know as soon as possible if you are interested. 

Bills

Cowboys

Bears

Lions

Texans

Seahawks

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Someone posted that Rappoport reported they expect Mariota to be released within the next few days.

But I am starting to think that that came from one of the Dozen+ fake Rappoport accounts, because I don't see anything about Mariota in any recent announcements from the real Rappoport.

Raiders have made several cap moves already, so perhaps the need to cut him too early has passed. However, they aren’t paying both him and Carr, so you would expect that it is only a matter of time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

With the WFT tendering Allen, I think the obvious answer is obvious. We'll have Heinicke, Allen, and probably a mid-round rookie (someone like Mond or Newman would be my choice)

I like Newman better than Mond but could be one of these two. The other that is finally getting noticed is Mills. Some coaches have pointed to him as a dark horse for some time now.

12 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I still think Newman is an intriguing prospect for a 4-5 round selection, unless the coaches are thinking that Montez is that "someone  special with high potential".

Given he "looked like a deer in the headlights" when Heinicke got hurt against Tampa, I am not so sure about that.

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I like Newman better than Mond but could be one of these two. The other that is finally getting noticed is Mills. Some coaches have pointed to him as a dark horse for some time now.

They all have their flaws, I haven't watched any tape on Mills yet. I'm the opposite, though, I like Mond over Newman. Mond has a cannon and is very mobile too--he'd be perfect to sit as the #3 for a year. I also think we're out on the Big-4 QBs--no way we trade up to make them the third string. MAYBE for Lance, but I highly doubt it.

Just now, DWinzit said:

I really think that this year's QB class could be as good as 2012's, if not better. In that year we had Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden, Wilson, Foles, and Cousins. All these guys minus Weeden have gone on to have somewhat productive careers. RG3 we can debate but he was the ROY so he at least showed something. 

This year we will have 

- Lawrence

- Wilson

- Fields

- Lance

- Jones

- Mond

- Newman

- Trask

and that's just some of my favorites. Will a team put Elhinger or Book or another of these QBs somewhere into this discussion? Apart from Lawrence, and maybe the first round guys, I think the success of these guys will depend a lot on the system they're put in, the amount of pressure they're under and the team that's around them. That said, We know that 2012 was a good class not just because of the first rounders but because of the lower round guys. 

2005 was another good year with Smith, Rodgers, Campbell, Orton, Anderson, Cassel and Fitzpatrick

Will this year rank that highly? And would Task/Newman/Mond becoming the next Otton/Anderson/Cassel/Fitzpatrick/Cousins/Wilson/Foles be enough to please our fans? Only Wilson from that group would be called a franchise guy but all were decent starters in this league. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Given he "looked like a deer in the headlights" when Heinicke got hurt against Tampa, I am not so sure about that.

They all have their flaws, I haven't watched any tape on Mills yet. I'm the opposite, though, I like Mond over Newman. Mond has a cannon and is very mobile too--he'd be perfect to sit as the #3 for a year. I also think we're out on the Big-4 QBs--no way we trade up to make them the third string. MAYBE for Lance, but I highly doubt it.

Agreed, to me Montez is just a place holder. I expect zero from him.

Yeah the only way I see them drafting a QB in the first round if one drops way down which I do not expect. I do find Lance intriguing but when will he really be ready to start and lead a team into the playoffs. He is just saw raw even though he is loaded with talent

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I really think that this year's QB class could be as good as 2012's, if not better. In that year we had Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden, Wilson, Foles, and Cousins. All these guys minus Weeden have gone on to have somewhat productive careers. RG3 we can debate but he was the ROY so he at least showed something. 

This year we will have 

- Lawrence

- Wilson

- Fields

- Lance

- Jones

- Mond

- Newman

- Trask

and that's just some of my favorites. Will a team put Elhinger or Book or another of these QBs somewhere into this discussion? Apart from Lawrence, and maybe the first round guys, I think the success of these guys will depend a lot on the system they're put in, the amount of pressure they're under and the team that's around them. That said, We know that 2012 was a good class not just because of the first rounders but because of the lower round guys. 

2005 was another good year with Smith, Rodgers, Campbell, Orton, Anderson, Cassel and Fitzpatrick

Will this year rank that highly? And would Task/Newman/Mond becoming the next Otton/Anderson/Cassel/Fitzpatrick/Cousins/Wilson/Foles be enough to please our fans? Only Wilson from that group would be called a franchise guy but all were decent starters in this league. 

Possible but so tough in this strange year. There are so many QB needy teams combined with all the COVID limitations with the past season and time leading to the draft.

I am sure many will get drafted but IMO most are less NFL ready than normal which will stunt their growth. We will see. I do get a feeling WFT looks at the 3-5 rounds for one of these guys if they do not bring in a FA.

All I'll add is there's a reason why the Jags are drafting a QB.  He's definitely not worth a 3rd.

“Sam Darnold, to me, and Gardner Minshew are guys to watch if I’m Washington,” Verderame said. “Minshew, he’s about to be an extra part in Jacksonville. So what would he cost? Here’s a guy who in his career in Jacksonville has thrown 27 touchdowns and 11 picks. Gardner Minshew, if I’m Washington, I’m calling them every day, ‘You want a third-round pick? We’ll give you a third-round pick.’”

• Like 4

Just now, DWinzit said:

Possible but so tough in this strange year. There are so many QB needy teams combined with all the COVID limitations with the past season and time leading to the draft.

I am sure many will get drafted but IMO most are less NFL ready than normal which will stunt their growth. We will see. I do get a feeling WFT looks at the 3-5 rounds for one of these guys if they do not bring in a FA.

I honestly have a strong feeling that whoever we draft will do well with this team. In part because of trust in Ron and in part because I think our defense and TE are just what a young QB needs to succeed. And If we got a Jones / Trask who isn't as mobile I think our OL can do it. Lets not forget that they protected an immobile Alex Smith into a 5-1 record and an immobile Dwayne Haskins.

I look at teams like NE, NYJ, Jacksonville, Washington, SF, Chicago, (maybe) Philly, (maybe) Detroit, Carolina, New Orleans, Denver as the places where a rookie will have an opportunity to play a lot this season. Of those teams, I think Chicago, Washington, New Orleans, and Carolina are the best opportunities for a young QB to look good and maybe win some games. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

What is "welp" supposed to mean and how did you extrapolate anything from it?

This kind of tweet or facebook post drives me insane. What's the point? I have a friend that does this kind of thing all the time and I had to unfollow him because it just leads to people having to ask him what the meaning of the post is. Just say what you have to say if you have something to say! If you don't have anything to say, don't say anything at all. Drives me up the wall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Newman, Book, Mond, Mills. One of them is getting drafted by us I think. 

I'm fine with Mariotta competing, but I am still unwavered (get it? waiver wire? sorry) in wanting Winston as QB1.  

You left off Buechele. Shane... Buechele.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I like Minshew and wouldn't at all be opposed to trading a reasonable draft pick for him. He'll only turn 25 in May, which is actually only a few years older than some of the guys you might draft, and has a 23 NFL game sample under his belt, where he's played really well at times. Several of the QB's in the draft might never make it to 23 games- you never know. 

He seems to me to be all guts and plays with a big chip on his shoulder. He doesn't have the greatest of arms, but he's pretty accurate and has a nice touch when the ball needs to be well placed and not fired in there. He also moves very well in the pocket and if he gets loose, he's quick and has some elusiveness. The guy plays with fire in his belly and I think he has leadership skills- which might be the most important thing.

Furthermore, he's on his rookie deal for 2 more years, so he's a low risk, high reward candidate. I think he'd fit perfectly into our offensive scheme and believe nobody has seen Minshew's best football yet.

I wouldn't hate this move at all and in fact, I think I'd love it.  

2 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

I like Minshew and wouldn't at all be opposed to trading a reasonable draft pick for him. He'll only turn 25 in May, which is actually only a few years older than some of the guys you might draft, and has a 23 NFL game sample under his belt, where he's played really well at times. Several of the QB's in the draft might never make it to 23 games- you never know. 

He seems to me to be all guts and plays with a big chip on his shoulder. He doesn't have the greatest of arms, but he's pretty accurate and has a nice touch when the ball needs to be well placed and not fired in there. He also moves very well in the pocket and if he gets loose, he's quick and has some elusiveness. The guy plays with fire in his belly and I think he has leadership skills- which might be the most important thing.

Furthermore, he's on his rookie deal for 2 more years, so he's a low risk, high reward candidate. I think he'd fit perfectly into our offensive scheme and believe nobody has seen Minshew's best football yet.

I wouldn't hate this move at all and in fact, I think I'd love it.  

I agree, Minshew would be someone I would take in salary regards alone. Saves us a bunch of money so we can fill out the roster, and he could be a good stop gap or diamond in the rough starter.

• Like 2